The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

View Poll Results: Do You Want Arrow, Flash, & Constantine Connected To Superman/Batman?
Yes 25 18.52%
No to Constanine, Yes to Flash & Arrow 29 21.48%
No to Flash & Arrow, Yes to Constantine 4 2.96%
I'll wait for Flash and Constantine to premiere before giving my final opinion 8 5.93%
No 69 51.11%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-18-2014, 04:43 PM   #51
BvS117
Side-Kick

Default Re: Do You Want Arrow, Flash, & Constantine Connected To Superman/Batman?

I'd say no for now.

1. We don't know how well Grant Gustin can act/pull off the flash. Would WB bank on him on spearheading a solo Flash movie?

2. There are too many subpar actors cast in the TV universe that WB would have to use in the cinematic universe. (Roy, Deadshot, Amanda Waller, Black Canary, The Huntress, ect) All those characters are played by horrible actors.

Quite honestly I don't find any of the acting on the show to be great. Diggles ok, I like Felicity, and while Amell is fine as Arrow the writers are writing him to act like Batman or something. I'd want to see a slightly lighter snarky version of Arrow. Not some dark brooding quite Batman clone.

3. Combining the universes would just clamp down on the creative options of the movies and shows. If WB wanted to have Deadshot be Batman's villain in the solo movie they'd be stuck with Manu Bennett. I like Manu on Arrow but I'm just not sure if he would be able to play a big screen version. . (I always thought actors like Sean Bean or Viggo Mortensen would be awesome as Deadshot)

BvS117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:44 PM   #52
lc23
Fan of Steel

Default Re: Do You Want Arrow, Flash, & Constantine Connected To Superman/Batman?

That Arrow and Flash can stay on the CW where they belong, thanks.

lc23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:44 PM   #53
Boom
I got nothin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVITIKUZ View Post
So besides Superman/Batman, the only other DC things going on are the TV shows The Flash, Arrow, Constantine, Gotham, and iZombie. Now I don't think there are many people petitioning to get iZombie & Gotham connected to the DCCU; would you want to see Flash, Arrow, and Constantine connected to Superman/Batman and the DCCU?
No thank you. The CW shows are not my cup of tea.

My eyes nearly rolled out of my head while watching the Flash trailer, but to each their own.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:48 PM   #54
Human Torch
I Yam What I Yam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Jackson View Post
You really think Snyder will cast them? Be honest now....Don't let your personal love for the tv show cloud yo mind.
Well,the question was "Do I want them".Do I think he'll use them?That's a different question.

But i don't know all the factors involved.The studio will have the most say.If Snyder likes Gustin & Amell,there's no reason to believe he won't push for them.

I mean,if Gal Gadot can be cast as the most recognizable heroine in all of comicdom,it's more than a little disingenuous to say Gustin & Amell don't have what it takes.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:50 PM   #55
Samuel Jackson
Bad MF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
No thank you. The CW shows are not my cup of tea.

My eyes nearly rolled out of my head while watching the Flash trailer, but to each their own.
Flash is my favorite superhero! He deserves the red carpet treatment.

And no disrespect to the folks working on Arrow and Flash, but I prefer to see Snyder's version of those characters.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:54 PM   #56
Human Torch
I Yam What I Yam

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc23 View Post
That Arrow and Flash can stay on the CW where they belong, thanks.
Something else not being considered is that CW will not be involved in the script.(most likely). So it's not as if it would be written as a bigger budgeted episode of Arrow,but a film with the character of Arrow included.Apart from a cameo of Felicity/Diggle (if even that) it would probably have very little ties to the series.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:59 PM   #57
Samuel Jackson
Bad MF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
Well,the question was "Do I want them".Do I think he'll use them?That's a different question.

But i don't know all the factors involved.The studio will have the most say.If Snyder likes Gustin & Amell,there's no reason to believe he won't push for them.

I mean,if Gal Gadot can be cast as the most recognizable heroine in all of comicdom,it's more than a little disingenuous to say Gustin & Amell don't have what it takes.
Smallville was still going on while we had Superman Returns in cinemas, I think Snyder will do his own thing.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:01 PM   #58
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

And they will always cite how Smallville and SR on at the same time and no really cared.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:02 PM   #59
lc23
Fan of Steel

^I'd rather them not take the risk of worrying about those plot/character cross-pollination issues at all. Let's not even get into the issue of them being completely different mediums. What works for tv doesn't always translate well to the big screen and vice versa.

lc23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:04 PM   #60
Samuel Jackson
Bad MF

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc23 View Post
^I'd rather them not take the risk of worrying about those plot/character cross-pollination issues at all. Let's not even get into the issue of them being completely different mediums. What works for tv doesn't always translate well to the big screen and vice versa.
Word! Let them have their own WW and Batman, but stay out of this one.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:26 PM   #61
The Sage
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

No. Let the tv shows be their own thing and let the movies be their's.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:33 PM   #62
LEVITIKUZ
HE'S COMING HOME!!!

I will say, Goyer is involved in Constantine which is why I feel if one show will be connected, it's Constantine.

LEVITIKUZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:37 PM   #63
tacit-ronin-
Moria Orc

He's also involved with the sandman movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
Casper?
tacit-ronin- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:54 PM   #64
sportjames23
Side-Kick

No to Constantine, yes to Flash and Arrow.

sportjames23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:54 PM   #65
smallville fan
Hero

People say that by connecting Arrow and Flash to the DCCU it'd be like Agents of SHIELD all over again flaws and all. If we're going to use the MCU as analogy for what these shows really are then they'd be more like the Solo films that take place before and between the big films especially in terms of story. The only difference here is that they can squeeze in more stories you can only watch them on TV every week and that they have a smaller budget.

The MCU films don't always have to adhere and force to remind the audience about the big events and often tell their own self - contained story so why would the shows? Agents of SHIELD was more like this parasitic cash grab that was leeching off the movies on the side. Arrow and Flash are hardly that.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:56 PM   #66
Mr_336
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel jackson View Post
can i get a big hell naw! :ba
hell, naw!!

Mr_336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:05 PM   #67
sportjames23
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
People say that by connecting Arrow and Flash to the DCCU it'd be like Agents of SHIELD all over again flaws and all. If we're going to use the MCU as analogy for what these shows really are then they'd be more like the Solo films that take place before and between the big films especially in terms of story. The only difference here is that they can squeeze in more stories you can only watch them on TV every week and that they have a smaller budget.

The MCU films don't always have to adhere and force to remind the audience about the big events and often tell their own self - contained story so why would the shows? Agents of SHIELD was more like this parasitic cash grab that was leeching off the movies on the side. Arrow and Flash are hardly that.

Exactly. Some here are acting like anything that happens in the Cinemaverse has to be reverenced in the TVverse and vice versa. It doesn't. As I said on the Flash board, Green Arrow and Flash share the same universe with Superman in the comics, but not everything that happens in one comic gets referenced in the others. Neither verse would tie down the other.

sportjames23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:42 PM   #68
Harley2004
Side-Kick

No, not at all. They should just worrying about making a good tv show, not connecting everything.

The Arrow, is good how it is. A new name drop every week or some cameo is not going to make it better.

Harley2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:54 PM   #69
Dark Guardian
Guardian of Gotham

I feel like the main argument people have against connecting them is that they feel it would limit the movies and the shows.
I call bull.
Cannon, scaffolding, history adds substance to story. Interconnectedness yields a sense of realism in that the world doesn't feel newly created but rooted in all of the detail and content that has come before. We saw this brilliantly with Star Trek from the mid to late 90's. They had three shows running (TNG, DS9 and Voyager) as well as four films that each interwove each other in and out of the stories of the others. They built upon events in the other series' and showed the impact of the films in the series. This is the true strength of a connected universe, in that (unlike the Marvel films) the Star Trek franchise didn't have to avoid showing the characters from other series, in fact they crossed them over often and when logic dictated that the character appear.

I feel that this is exactly what could make the DC cinematic universe strong. Use this interconnectedness to build your stories, rather than being obstinate about it and wanting to do everything your way. "Oh well, they've already used Deathstroke and I don't like this one aspect of his backstory they used, so I want to do it all over again my way." That right there is the kind of thing that leads us to waste and reboots every five years.

I.N.W.T=In Nolan We Trust
Dark Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:20 PM   #70
Superchan
Side-Kick

No keep them separate.
Connecting the TV and movie world would hinder both, more so infact for the TV shows because they have to cater to their movie counterparts story whims and continuity.

Contrary to popular fan belief, the general public could careless if there are 2 flashes or 2 green arrows on TV and on the big screen; the overwhelming majority of movie audiences wouldn't even know that there is a TV show on the same character that they're watching on the big screen.

Keep'em separate and let the creators spread their wings without tripping over each other for the sake of continuity. Or in other words, don't repeat marvel's mistake with the agents of S.h.i.e.l.d.

Superchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:47 PM   #71
Rorschach2012
$

I'm pretty confident that they will be separate. Almost positive.

Rorschach2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:12 PM   #72
KillerMcQueen
Mildly sociopathic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
I'm pretty confident that they will be separate. Almost positive.
Yeah, if they were gonna connect them I'm positive they'd have revealed it at the end of Arrow's season 2 finale.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:47 PM   #73
Reiter
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelsheen View Post
i'm.... not sure.

i know the business plan WB is trying to copy is Marvel's, but Marvel only really has one TV show to to worry about keeping consistent-- Agents of Shield (and the soon to debut Agent Carter), but the main things about those tv shows is that they are based on the movies., so in a way they are already integrated.

the Arrow and Flash tv shows are related to each other, which is great, but you'll be hard pressed to make them related to the BvS/ JL movies without putting limits on certain things (like what Reiter said about villain-use, and thats only the tip of the iceberg). and this might prove frustrating to the productions. there is a big reason why WB didnt like interconnected universes for a really long time (and probably wouldve kept everything separate if not for that little movie called the Avengers).

IF they are ever going to interconnect any TV series currently in the works it would probably be Gotham. in BvS we have an aged Bruce Wayne, and in all intents and purposes BvS Bruce is different from Nolanverse Bruce, so essentially the character Ben is playing has a clean slate. given how Bruce and everybody else in Gotham is so young they have a lot of elbow room to build backstories and then relate to those in the BvS/ JL universe without feeling limited.

good luck to WB if they want to do this. Agents of Shield had a great starting point in the Avengers, and even that show had a few hiccups and stumbles to make it to the second season.
The problem with gotham is that it is like Smallville in a way. It's a batman show, but before batman, which uses batman villains at their beginnings. Kind of like how SV Clark beat up everyone, including an Apocolips invasion before even becoming Superman.

What i'm trying to say is that they ll probably go crazy with it and have Gordon meet the whole rogues gallery in their protoform, kid Bruce will meet kid Catwoman and they have their own shenanigans and so on. I dont want Batfleck to have all this baggage from the TV show. If they want him to have met Catwoman as a kid, fine, but what if they want just that and not everything else that the show could do in 2-3 seasons?

Plus, if they want to do something in the movies, set it up there, dont expect people to go through a whole bunch of seasons of a tv show they might not want to watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
Even though Arrow and Flash look REALLY good considering their budget... I think the difference in budget would be too obvious to connect the two.

I personally want Arrow/Flash to build their own version of Justice League.
Judging from the trailer, Arrow is Batman and Flash is Superman. Arrow is already pretty batman already, and his speech to Barry about standing tall and inspiring people? They're Batman and Superman alright.

Last edited by Reiter; 05-18-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Reiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:53 PM   #74
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Again, one of WB's execs confirmed in the Wall Street Journal that the Cw, Fox, and NBC series exist in separate continuities, as well as from the films. It's the foundation for their film and tv properties, and darned unlikely to be reversed, as they want to distance themselves from Marvel's gameplan.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
At DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:01 PM   #75
Reiter
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Guardian View Post
I feel like the main argument people have against connecting them is that they feel it would limit the movies and the shows.
I call bull.
Cannon, scaffolding, history adds substance to story. Interconnectedness yields a sense of realism in that the world doesn't feel newly created but rooted in all of the detail and content that has come before. We saw this brilliantly with Star Trek from the mid to late 90's. They had three shows running (TNG, DS9 and Voyager) as well as four films that each interwove each other in and out of the stories of the others. They built upon events in the other series' and showed the impact of the films in the series. This is the true strength of a connected universe, in that (unlike the Marvel films) the Star Trek franchise didn't have to avoid showing the characters from other series, in fact they crossed them over often and when logic dictated that the character appear.

I feel that this is exactly what could make the DC cinematic universe strong. Use this interconnectedness to build your stories, rather than being obstinate about it and wanting to do everything your way. "Oh well, they've already used Deathstroke and I don't like this one aspect of his backstory they used, so I want to do it all over again my way." That right there is the kind of thing that leads us to waste and reboots every five years.
The problem is that Arrow and Flash are going to get a head start and nobody is supervising the whole thing. And lets say that the movies wanted Deathstroke in some way, i can guarantee he wouldnt be available for the tv show, at least not in the way they would want him. Obsessed and blinded by Ollie and all that. He'd be a JL villain and not the Arrow villain he was.

And that goes for every other character. Plus, in movies they usually cast big names, names that dont want to play on tv if they can help it. In Arrow they hired a horrible actress to be Waller. In the movies i bet Snyder would get a proper and more expensive actress. Then Waller would be off limits for the show. I'm oversimplifying things here, but i'm trying to explain why it would create all sorts of problems for both universes.

What Marvel is doing with Shield is different. They not a major superhero, member of the Avengers. They're the cops. It's like making a GPD show tying to it Nolan's Batman, but you dont get to touch any villains Nolan wants to use, you dont get to use Gordon, you dont get to use anyone. They just deal with whatever scraps are left at the bottom of the barrel. Let Arrow and Flash do their own thing. Deathstroke, League of Assassins, go wild.

I do have to wander though. Since these new shows are not shying away like Smallville did, how do you make a Flash movie when TV flash will already have done the same things? Fought Zoom, Captain Cold and all that... It's like making a movie on G.Arrow and going "he was stranded for 5 ye..." and the people would be like "yeah, we know already, we've seen the show".

I'm rambling. I'm off to sleep.

Reiter is offline   Reply With Quote