The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

View Poll Results: Do you think Affleck is a good choice?
Yes 172 74.14%
No 60 25.86%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 08:44 AM   #1
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - - Part 18

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Old 07-03-2014, 08:44 AM   #2
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - Part 17

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Old 07-03-2014, 08:44 AM   #3
Astro13Zombie
Exterminate

Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - - Part 18

Old 07-03-2014, 08:47 AM   #4
Travesty
TEOL

Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - - - Part 19

I love how rad made it back into the new thread!

Old 07-03-2014, 08:49 AM   #5
The Endless
WE are Groot

Love that picture of Supes. Gotham looks awesome. Wasn't a fan of Gotham in TDK and Rises. It looked like Chicago. For me, Gotham should look gothic. Hence the name. Like Eastern European architecture mixed with NYC's densely packed skyscrapers.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:49 AM   #6
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

RAD will never die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
It's Zryson. Everything he says is so funny.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:02 AM   #7
-JKR-
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
Love that picture of Supes. Gotham looks awesome. Wasn't a fan of Gotham in TDK and Rises. It looked like Chicago. For me, Gotham should look gothic. Hence the name. Like Eastern European architecture mixed with NYC's densely packed skyscrapers.
Gotham isn't called Gotham because it should be gothic, but because it's a nickname for New York, which was Bob Kane and Bill Finger's templated for the city, back when they created the character.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:06 AM   #8
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JKR- View Post
Gotham isn't called Gotham because it should be gothic, but because it's a nickname for New York, which was Bob Kane and Bill Finger's templated for the city, back when they created the character.
Yup.

Gotham can look gothic, but it is by no means a requirement. It's often drawn as a regular looking modern city in the comics.

It's very malleable, like much of the Batman mythos.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 07-03-2014, 09:08 AM   #9
The Endless
WE are Groot

Yea and NYC does have some gothic, Eastern European like architecture.

I just didn't like shots where Batman is clearly standing on Sears Tower. For me, Gotham shouldn't be recognizable as a place in the real world. No DC city should.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:09 AM   #10
Travesty
TEOL

Anyways, I think we can all agree that Nolan was wrong.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:09 AM   #11
-JKR-
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Yup.

Gotham can look gothic, but it is by no means a requirement. It's often drawn as a regular looking modern city in the comics.

It's very malleable, like much of the Batman mythos.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:11 AM   #12
The Endless
WE are Groot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
haha i wouldn't say that. It was a valid interpretation.

Doesn't mean we have to like it though. His Batman and his Gotham just don't do it for me.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:11 AM   #13
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

Quote:
Can you feel it in your bones andz stuff?

Quote:
It's Zryson. Everything he says is so funny.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:14 AM   #14
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
Can you feel it in your bones andz stuff?

Old 07-03-2014, 09:21 AM   #15
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Anyway...

I wonder if Snyder is planning to green screen a lot of Gotham. Cause that seems to be a photoshopped background.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:22 AM   #16
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

I've never been a fan of the post Burton films, art directed to within an inch of it's life Gotham or Timm's Art Deco meets bland World of Tomorrow Metropolis. Since both are supposed to be stand ins for New York City (yes, Seigel and Shuster had the influence of Toronto, but by 1940 in the Fleischer toons it was obviously NYC inspired and has been since, not counting Smallville's idiocy) I've always liked how Denny O'neil puts it.

Metropolis is like midtown Manhattan on a sunny spring day and you are walking around seeing the big city sites or strolling the Great Lawn in Central Park. Old people are sitting on the benches, children are playing and eating ice cream, and all is right with the world. Here, order is the default state and when disaster erupts a Titan in the form of a man is there to ensure that things quickly return to normal.

Gotham is lower Manhattan with it's myriad side streets, cobblestones and water towers at 2 am in the morning on a chilly October night. You are walking down the street alone when behind you, out of nowhere... You hear footsteps! Gotham is a city of the night where chaos is the norm and it's embodied in the garish villains that prey on it's resident. Each alley way and closed door hold the potential for tragedy and mystery that only a lone, masked manhunter on a mission of justice can deal with.

Neither description requires an overtly stylized setting to my eyes just the appropriate mood set by plot, lighting and some detailing. But I do think they both should look like actual cities that actual people live and work in.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:23 AM   #17
Travesty
TEOL

Ha, have you seen the set photos?

Yes, I think there's gonna be a lot of green screen.

*nice edit, brahhhhhh.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:27 AM   #18
The Endless
WE are Groot

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
I've never been a fan of the post Burton films, art directed to within an inch of it's life Gotham or Timm's Art Deco meets bland World of Tomorrow Metropolis. Since both are supposed to be stand ins for New York City (yes, Seigel and Shuster had the influence of Toronto, but by 1940 in the Fleischer toons it was obviously NYC inspired and has been since, not counting Smallville's idiocy) I've always liked how Denny O'neil puts it.

Metropolis is like midtown Manhattan on a sunny spring day and you are walking around seeing the big city sites or strolling the Great Lawn in Central Park. Old people are sitting on the benches, children are playing and eating ice cream, and all is right with the world. Here, order is the default state and when disaster erupts a Titan in the form of a man is there to ensure that things quickly return to normal.

Gotham is lower Manhattan with it's myriad side streets, cobblestones and water towers at 2 am in the morning on a chilly October night. You are walking down the street alone when behind you, out of nowhere... You hear footsteps! Gotham is a city of the night where chaos is the norm and it's embodied in the garish villains that prey on it's resident. Each alley way and closed door hold the potential for tragedy and mystery that only a lone, masked manhunter on a mission of justice can deal with.

Neither description requires an overtly stylized setting to my eyes just the appropriate mood set by plot, lighting and some detailing. But I do think they both should look like actual cities that actual people live and work in.
Yea they should look like actual cities that actual people live and work in. But they shouldn't actually look like places in the real world in my view.

Even Burton's hyper stylized Gotham looked lived in (at least in the first film). I always remember that tracking shot at the start of the film following the family through the streets. There was street hustlers, cabs and cars, pros standing on street corners, food stalls, cops. It looked like a living, breathing section of a city.

But the architecture was distinct and exaggerated. It looked like no place on Earth.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:29 AM   #19
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Nah, haven't looked at the set photos much. Makes sense, given that Snyder's two biggest movies besides MOS employed a lot of green screen.

And...
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Old 07-03-2014, 09:31 AM   #20
hafizbat
Side-Kick

Gotham should be as much of a character as anyone else. It needs its own personality.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:32 AM   #21
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I think that's especially true for this film, given that it needs to be contrasted with Metropolis.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:39 AM   #22
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

See to me, Burton's Gotham looked exactly like what it was in both films of his... A backlot set with an overt and apparent set design. In other words, to me, like most of the rest of the film, it looked fantasy fake. Granted that's what he was going for, a hermetic fantasy world, but that's not my taste. I think Nolan and Donner made the right choices in using real cities with minimal changes as back drops. At no time did I look at those films and go "that's New York or Chicago" even in the Donner Superman film(s). I never got taken out of the films noticing actual land marks I am familiar with either through images or from real life experiences.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:41 AM   #23
Travesty
TEOL

I can see people's gripes about the "set look" with BR, but not so much with B89 overall.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:45 AM   #24
The Endless
WE are Groot

I disagree. In Batman 89 it felt like a living, breathing city. Gotham was a character itself. The opening tracking shot i described felt more alive than anything of Gotham in Nolan's films. I mean, i love the opening to TDK. But when the bus comes crashing out of the bank not one single bystander reacts. That's more fake to me than Burton's stylized sets.

And Batman was clearly standing on Sears Tower lol.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:48 AM   #25
Eggyman
The Oval Avenger

Quote:
I can see people's gripes about the "set look" with BR, but not so much with B89 overall.
Yeh. I always thought that with Returns, but never with 89.