Days of Future Past 84 59.57%
X2 36 25.53%
First Class 17 12.06%
other 4 2.84%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-01-2014, 02:46 PM   #101
VM1138
Side-Kick

Default Re: Now that you've seen DOFP, which is the best X-men movie?

Saw it last night and really liked it. A very good movie, but it didn't engage me as much as I thought it would. Maybe it was that my favorite characters all just had cameos, or maybe because the narrative wasn't as clear as I expected. It was almost like the movie was small-scale, while being epic, and it gave me a weird vibe. I can't really put it into words, maybe someone else knows what I mean? It just felt...off...but not in a bad way. But it didn't give me the thrills as much as Godzilla did this year, or The Wolverine did most recently. The future universe just seemed so...small, and with little for the old cast to do, I felt like they were just throwaway characters and the stakes didn't feel as big to me.

I'd rank the films like this:

X2 - Was the co-standard bearer "best modern superhero film" for years until The Dark Knight came around, and I still think it's one of the best. The other co-"best" was Spiderman 2.

The Wolverine - I loved that it was a more old fashioned drama than an over the top action piece, and it really gave Wolverine some really compelling stuff to work with.

Then I'd put Days of Future Past here. A good story, great acting, but just somehow fell short of being pure awesome.

X-Men would come next, for it saving the superhero genre after Batman & Robin. It's a great introduction to both the genre and the series, but a little cheesy in parts. But again, the characters are great.

The Last Stand would come next. Not THAT bad of a movie, but clearly it would've benefitted from Singer returning and being 30-40 minutes longer. A lot of compelling potential in this movie that just gets squandered.

I'd rank First Class down here. Aside from Fassbender and McAvoy, the cast was extremely dull and didn't engage me at all. It's a fun action movie and it's not too stupid, but the characters were just not that great and it had a lot of cheese to it, as well.

And somewhere in the depths lurks Origins. Just a bad, bad movie.

VM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:21 PM   #102
warhorse78
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran Man View Post
Days of Future Past was great, but X2 has yet to be surpassed as my favourite X-Men movie. X-Men: Apocalypse may have a chance.
It might. I think the only way it would be great for me is to redeem Rogue's character once and for all. No more of this pussy footing with her development anymore.

warhorse78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:02 PM   #103
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

My ranking:

First Class - Hard to imagine any future X movie unseating this.
DOFP
X1
Origins: Wolverine- Not a good movie exactly but very watchable.
X2 - I'm sorry but I hated this. I was a little tired when I started watching this and it nearly put me to sleep. This movie seriously seemed like it was never going to end.

I've never seen X3 or The Wolverine.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:15 PM   #104
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
It might. I think the only way it would be great for me is to redeem Rogue's character once and for all. No more of this pussy footing with her development anymore.
My main concern is what they do with Cyclops, Jean, and Storm. Will they be fleshed-out characters and integral to the story of how the X-Men came together, or get little to no characterization? I'm inclined to believe the former much due to what Singer and Kinberg have said they have planned for this movie.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:17 PM   #105
Uncle Radiation
Side-Kick

The best X-movies are the Singer trilogy - X-Men, X2, Days of Future past - with First Class as a prelude.

The others are disposable.

Uncle Radiation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:07 AM   #106
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

DOFP is tied with X2 as the best X-Men movie for me.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:08 PM   #107
Nerial
Hopeless Sci-Fi Geek

1) I put X2, but I think X2 and DOFP are currently tied for me. I just think, once the hype settles for DOFP, X2 will probably still hold the strongest. Both really push CBM up several levels, with complex story-lines and multiple characters--it's amazing Singer, cast and crew were able to juggle all of that and still tell cohesive, powerful stories.

2) First Class. Despite all its flaws (it has never really felt 100% like an Xmen movie to me--more like a "Vaughn is obsessed with Bond" feel, with a lot of stupid, trampy women--the parts that work, are fantastic. The ending on the beach was the best scene in an X-men film, IMO. And thank the Lord they cast McAvoy and Fassbender; otherwise, I don't think this movie would have worked at all.

3) X-men. It feels really dated now and Singer did not juggle the characters all that well like he does in future films (Storm barely speaks and Wolverine resolves every conflict almost by himself). But it was a great start for the franchise.

4) X-men Origins: Wolverine. Didn't really like it much, but there were moments I enjoyed. The opening credits, the first scene with Stryker's "team" and (although short-lived) I loved Gambit. But the CGI claws, the wonky action scenes, and OMG--what happened to Deadpool???--were too much to forgive.

5) The Wolverine. One word...snore.

6) X3. My God...what were they thinking? Not just Ratner and Kinberg, but Fox Studios for rushing the whole process. It's easier to name the few things that worked in this movie than go through the list of everything that didn't--it was great to see Beast, Ellen Page was awesome...er...wow, that might be it. Thank God DOFP fixed this mess!

While Charles Xavier is building his school, the Brotherhood has plans of its own—to build a mutant army. And soon, Magneto will discover there’s only one person who can build it for them…Charles.

Click Here to Read.
Nerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:42 PM   #108
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Overall ranking:

1) First Class. Not a perfect movie by any means: some of the dialogue is cringey, some secondary characters are underdeveloped, some of the execuion is a tad sloppy because of the rushed production. What makes it my favourite X-film though is the stellar character work for its two (marvellous) leads, and overall the characters and their relationships have more nuance and ambiguity to them than elsewhere in the franshise. Plus there's Vaughn's energy and flair, glorious 60s setting, and an enormously entertaining villain turn by Kevin Bacon (IMO there's a lot to say for villains who are just plain evil and loving it).

2) X2. Probably the most consistent X-film overall, I can only think of a few minor nitpicks. It juggles the ensemble and the complex storyline extremely well, boasts some of the most memorable set pieces in the franchise, and the ending is moving and emotional.

3) X-Men. Yeah it's dated and the third act is kinda weak. But the character stuff still works - Wolverine never felt this edgy and anti-heroic since, the Logan/Rogue relationship is genuinely affecting, the interactions between Stewart and McKellen are still wonderful. The opening sequence is still awesome too.

4) DoFP. It was fun and entertaining while I watched it but in the end it's rather hollow - which would be ok if it was any other summer movie, but I just want and expect more from X-Men. Like X2 it's more of a "plot" movie, but its plot is not anywhere as interesting or well-thought out, and basically everything in the second half of the movie happens because a supposedly intelligent character makes an inexplicably dumb decision. Also, because of the need to keep the pace and momentum going going going, character development suffers a great lot unfortunately. X2 did not have this problem largely because it was, a) a direct sequel which picked up the setting and the characters right where they were at the end of X1, so it didn't have to deal with the radically changed settings and characters who are unrecognisable from the previous film. And b) it had no major character arc to do - the closest thing was Wolverine's search for his past, but it's not anywhere as transformative as Charles' arc was supposed to be in DoFP.

5) X3. To be honest I don't even remember the movie all that well, all I know is that, at the time, it pretty much killed my enthusiasm for the franchise.
6) X-men Origins: Wolverine. Because of the above movie I didn't even watch it at the cinema; once I did, man it was baaaaaad. Other than Reynold's Gambit I can't think of a single thing I liked. Horrible claws, horrible love interest, boring Hugh Jackman (which should be an oxymoron).

Mrs Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:35 PM   #109
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

X2
DOFP
X1
FC
TW
--
X3 and Origins

It's interesting to see that so many people rank FC so high.

Mad Ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:08 AM   #110
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

I am finally going to see DOFP for a 2nd time tonight, I think then I will be able to rank my number 1 X-Movie, as of now X2 is still the champ, but that may change with another viewing of DOFP which I did find amazing.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:12 PM   #111
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I need to rewatch DOFP and X-2. Right now it's tied.

1. X-2 and DOFP
3. First Class
4. X-Men
5. The Wolverine
6. X-Men: TLS
7. X-Men: WO

Last edited by Erzengel; 06-09-2014 at 11:42 PM.
Erzengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:40 PM   #112
Sun_Down
Groovy

After my second viewing, DOFP is my number one at this moment. The way it brought back the OT cast was just so special for me. And it was a great movie on its own merits, with great performances all around (except Halle - my gosh lol).

Old 06-10-2014, 02:18 AM   #113
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

What? I thought Halle was amazing!

"Will you control that power or let it control you?" - X3
"Is the future truly set?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:05 AM   #114
teabag

Halle was just decoration (unfortunately), as were the others in the "bad" future. They were exchangeable, that's the trouble. Would have been awesome to see the "old" and "young" ones fighting side by side, but, well... The movie was alright, but not nearly as good a story as X-Men, X2 or Last Stand, IMHO.

teabag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:17 AM   #115
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Halle brought more familiarity to the table and for me thats her appeal in the movie. When I saw the film, the stranger I was sitting next to was really shocked when Storm was killed, she was like "oh Storm". Then in my another viewing, the stranger I was sitting next to, instantly recognized Storm when Storm came out of the jet.

If Iceman/Storm/Prof X/Kitty/Magneto weren't there in the future and replaced by mutants we didn't really see in the previous movies, I don't think people would care that much about what will happen to the future period.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:38 AM   #116
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
If only Rogue mysteriously appears in the film but I don't see it happening.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:29 AM   #117
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

I saw DOFP a 2nd time and it really stands upto a 2nd viewing, but....... I still cant decide if its my number 1 or X2 is, I am leaning towards X2, but that has the advantage of being one of my favourite movies for the last 11 years.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:43 AM   #118
Khonshu
Side-Kick

1. X2 - From the opening White House scene, to the conclusion with the Phoenix outline - this film still holds up as the one that best seems to capture the look and feel of the X-Men.

2. DOFP - A close second, I really appreciate the efforts that went into juggling the two timelines and you could not ask for a better cast.

3. FC - A great reboot of the series, primarily succeeding upon the acting strength of McAvoy and Fassbender. I loved the practical flying effects, too. Minus points for the villains in this flick, who venture too far into camp (Bacon) and statue (January Jones is awful.)

4. X1 - I was happy when it was released, but always felt like something was missing or incomplete. Good story and a great introduction to the world, but perhaps it was limited by budget and effects.

I haven't seen The Wolverine yet, and as far as I'm concerned - Origins and X3 never happened.

Khonshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:03 PM   #119
Great Mind(s)
Broken

I think it goes X2, DOFP, FC, X1, TW. X1 holds up as almost a preview of what's to come, especially "the war" of DOFP

Great Mind(s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:47 PM   #120
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

X-Men DOFP
X-Men FC
The Wolverine
. . . . . .

X-Men Origins Wolverine.

*\S/T*

I'll be back !
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:51 PM   #121
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khonshu View Post
1. X2 - From the opening White House scene, to the conclusion with the Phoenix outline - this film still holds up as the one that best seems to capture the look and feel of the X-Men.

2. DOFP - A close second, I really appreciate the efforts that went into juggling the two timelines and you could not ask for a better cast.

3. FC - A great reboot of the series, primarily succeeding upon the acting strength of McAvoy and Fassbender. I loved the practical flying effects, too. Minus points for the villains in this flick, who venture too far into camp (Bacon) and statue (January Jones is awful.)

4. X1 - I was happy when it was released, but always felt like something was missing or incomplete. Good story and a great introduction to the world, but perhaps it was limited by budget and effects.

I haven't seen The Wolverine yet, and as far as I'm concerned - Origins and X3 never happened.
You really can't call FC a reboot of series.You can say that about DOFP that time travel rebooted series.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:36 AM   #122
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

the wolverine.
Just from the outrage it caused deadpool fans alone.

oh and its "everything wrong with" youtube video had me rollin outta my seat...

whoa some stuff is just so bad its great

ciscostudent561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:52 AM   #123
Eggyman
The Oval Avenger

I enjoyed First Class more than any of the previous. I like X2. Some great bits in it. I think DOFP takes the best of both so gets my vote as best.

Eggyman is offline   Reply With Quote