The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 05-23-2014, 02:06 AM   #26
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue

Default Re: What you didn't like about X-Men:DOFP - Flaws/Critiques

The exposition at the beginning of the film was so heavy, it was like having your body filled with rebar and being thrown into a river.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:07 AM   #27
SAUspartan
Kurtty Fan

lack of mutant cemetery and not enough of Rogue. That's it really.

SAUspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:09 AM   #28
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
The exposition at the beginning of the film was so heavy, it was like having your body filled with rebar and being thrown into a river.

I don't care who you are, that's funny right there!

Old 05-23-2014, 02:17 AM   #29
ChildofAtom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
I just assumed that with adamantium everywhere else in his body as well as being Magneto's buddy, that's how he got his adamantium claws back.
I did too, especially with the sort of.. subtle subtext(for lack of a better word/phrase) of younger Magneto manipulating the train track pieces to the degree that he did. To me, that sort of symbolized and acted as enough of reminder that he is the master of magnetism for many reasons, beyond the cliché and token "I can lift really heavy mental objects with my mind" moments.

Although I definitely would have been okay with a tiny bit of dialogue addressing it as well, for the sake of some of the casual audience at large. And let's face it, of all things to allot some dialogue for, one of the very few that was actually utilized was Old Xavier reminiscing about his younger years with Mystique, which wasn't bad at all, but also felt mostly unnecessary(for me personally at least), to the degree that they did it compared to other unexplained issues(metal claws restored, Magneto having powers, Xavier still alive).

ChildofAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:20 AM   #30
jmc
callin' it like I see it

This isn't really a flaw, just something I wish happened. We got a scene between the two Xaviers, I would have loved one between the two Magnetos. That said, future Magneto is a man filled with regret and would likely want his younger self to change his ways. It's one thing for Mystiques course to be dramatically altered, to have Magneto change too is not really in the best interest of the series.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:21 AM   #31
Retroman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
I would have appreciated more development of the dystopian future and how it came to be. I would have liked to SEE more of how it all came to pass from the post-credits scene of The Wolverine, how those who were left and those that were lost got to the point where the movie starts.
Me too. But then again DOFP would have probably have to be split in two movies if we'd get all the exposition fans wanted to see.
Quote:
Didn't like the "Hulk" angle with Beast, as it served no character purpose. There was no arc to it, with Hank finally becoming "mutant and proud", or what have you. It had of had using the serum to try and throw off the sentinel, but that was ultimately futile, so it didn't serve any consequential story purpose either. Just less Beast being Beast.
When all those people were staring at Hank in Paris shows just why he would want to look "normal".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny-Oh View Post
-The absence of Magneto's theme, it would have been amazing when he lifts the stadium
Do you mean Coup d'État? That track (especially the start) would have been epic.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:25 AM   #32
SkyIsBlue
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
This isn't really a flaw, just something I wish happened. We got a scene between the two Xaviers, I would have loved one between the two Magnetos. That said, future Magneto is a man filled with regret and would likely want his younger self to change his ways. It's one thing for Mystiques course to be dramatically altered, to have Magneto change too is not really in the best interest of the series.
That would've been epic!

SkyIsBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:25 AM   #33
gap5ewl
inconspicuous since '03.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
How little screen time the future got. Really wanted to see more!

I was a little annoyed that they showed the X3 Jean/Logan scene when Xavier peeks in his mind.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:31 AM   #34
darkcajld
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny-Oh View Post
My complaints:

-The absence of Magneto's theme, it would have been amazing when he lifts the stadium
-The movie was not long enough lol
-Not enough time in the future
-Wolverine having adamantium claws in the future with no explanation
-Not enough dialogue scenes for Fassbender

Those are pretty much nitpicks, the movie was amazing 10/10
Well knowing who rescued him we will obviously find out in Apocalypse how he got them back.

Also that can bring us to have another OT cast movie where one of the storylines could be Logan remembering with help of Prof X what happened between 70 and the time he woke up in alternate future.

My complaints were :

- doggy makeup Beast had in the future
- after credit scene
- J.Law body suit
- too little of the future ... it started good but then just ended and when they starting going back and forth between future and past ... future scenes were too short and were only there to show quick death of certain characters

darkcajld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:40 AM   #35
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Shadowcat didn't have to be injured.

I know they probably added that to build tension but when you already have the Sentinels attacking them later in the movie, it wasn't needed.

They should have changed that in the reshoots.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:06 AM   #36
SkyIsBlue
Side-Kick

Can't help but want more scenes from the final battle. I know action isn't the focus of the movie, but it would've been epic if they added at least 5 minutes of uninterrupted battle scenes in the future where the Xmen still stand a fighting chance.

I was a bit shocked at how they quickly killed the characters in the finale haha it was too quick to build the necessary tension. I know the Sentinels are portrayed to be insanely powerful, but for cinematic purposes, I think it would've been better if the Xmen in the future lasted longer. Then they can get killed. I got shocked that you-know-who got killed first. I was expecting she would be one of the last ones to go as she would still strike bolts of lightning here and there while other Xmen members were already being killed.

As much as I dislike X3, I thought that the X3's final battle scene was set properly when the Xmen stood their ground, face to face with Magneto's minions while getting close ups of each Xmen. I was expecting something like that in DOFP. Haha.

But oh well, I am just nitpicking here. Didn't really ruin the whole movie for me. I hope we get to see more of the OT in future projects.

SkyIsBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:17 AM   #37
Drz
Real Hero

My only gripe with the film was how they got rid of Azazel, Angel, Banshee, etc. Sure they we're used for a story, but it's still slightly bland way to get rid of some characters.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:20 AM   #38
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

I do have problems, despite being a main character Wolverine got very little action, would have liked to see more action scenes from him. As mentioned before also Singer isnt the best when it comes to action, though he makes up for that in many other ways. I also didnt like the ending for Wolverine in the past I actually would have much preferred it if it actually was Stryker who fished Wolverine out of the water, and not Mystique disguised as him, seemed a strange choice considering the journey past Wolvie will have to go on with the adamantium and all .

I also didnt like the off-screen deaths of some FC characters, but mainly Banshee, would have preferred him being able to come back.

Also, someone else mentioned earlier that Rogue's future scenes should have been kept in, I agree, I think the future needed one more major sequence and the movie would have been pretty much perfect.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:25 AM   #39
JLMHodge
Side-Kick

I wish that there were more future scenes and more dialogue between those characters. Like with First Class, I wasn't a fan of Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique, but that's just my personal opinion. I also felt like they could've elaborated on Trask's motives a bit more.

JLMHodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:35 AM   #40
YoungE808
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
My only gripe with the film was how they got rid of Azazel, Angel, Banshee, etc. Sure they we're used for a story, but it's still slightly bland way to get rid of some characters.
I was thinking to myself...how did they even catch Azazel?

Old 05-23-2014, 06:37 AM   #41
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
I also didnt like the off-screen deaths of some FC characters, but mainly Banshee, would have preferred him being able to come back.
You know what they could have included him in the Saigon scene with Havok. They didn't have to include Ink and the other mutant, we still don't know his name.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:32 AM   #42
xtianrobi
Side-Kick

Wait is there a mutant in the comics whose abilities can apply internal bleeding? Because the that mutant was with havok during the vietnam scene. It's the guy with the spike

xtianrobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:48 AM   #43
eon001
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevork89 View Post
I can't think of any flaws. My only complaint was I wish the future cast had a bit more screen time. Not heaps more just an extra five minutes with some extra dialogue. But everything flowed well so I was still overall happy. And I know this was a way of introducing Stryker and Mystique but did anyone find the Vietnam rescue kind of pointless?
Kinda my thoughts too. With all the **** Spiderman 2 got for being overcrowded, the same goes triple for this. The X movies will always be hard to pull off imo, because each character has a fanbase to please.

Bit of a nit pick but I would like to see Mystique wear some kind of outfit. Maybe a variation of her classic white dress. Seeing her walk around damn near butt naked is getting awkward to watch. Her skin simulates clothing, won't be hard to write it into the script.

I liked the film. Didn't love it though.

eon001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:50 AM   #44
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khonshu View Post
I liked the movie, but I didn't love it. These are some of the things that bugged me:

Dodgy wirework for Beast - the fight scenes with him looked really "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon". I'll be the first to criticize bad CGI, so I appreciate them trying to go practical effects in some places, but Beast's movements in the School and at the French Embassy REALLY look like bad wirework. One of the things I loved about First Class was how cool the practical flying effects looked with Banshee - they took a step backward with Beast in this film, I felt. I'm also not a fan of the "Blue Lon Cheney, Jr." look.

Magneto forgets his helmet at the White House.

JLaw's paint job and body suit really don't look as high-quality as the previous Mystique stuff - there were a number of shots that you could tell she was wearing a zip-up suit.

A lot of the footage looked like it was shot in 4:3 and had a real BBC television look to it.
You and I feel the same. I also didn't like that it felt like there was no "team" aspect to the movie. Magneto and Mystique were on solo missions and we spent a bulk of the time with only three mutants.

Another problem I had was that they sent the wrong person back in time and there weren't enough consequences for that decision. Wolverine is a little ball of hate. If you're forced to send him back on a diplomatic mission, there should be a lot more stumbles along the way than what we got. I'm not a fan of the kinder, gentler Wolvie. He doesn't work as well for me.

It's still a better movie than FC, but not what I was hoping for.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:52 AM   #45
eon001
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMHodge View Post
I wish that there were more future scenes and more dialogue between those characters. Like with First Class, I wasn't a fan of Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique, but that's just my personal opinion. I also felt like they could've elaborated on Trask's motives a bit more.
The future stuff seemed more interesting. I really wanted to get to know the new cast. Blink, Bishop, Sunspot etc. I really missed it when they went back to the 70's.

eon001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:23 AM   #46
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue

I hate to say it, but Beast, like many mutants before him, is simply "just there." His role in the movie is to be the smart guy. He's the brain, Wolverine is the muscle, and Charles is the heart. Hank doesn't have his own story, he's just tagging along. He also made no progression from First Class; he's still insecure about his mutant status, using needles to hide his true self. Did he learn nothing from Charles, Mystique, or Erik? "Mutant and proud" means nothing to him.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:29 AM   #47
Gizmo
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
That actually bothered me a lot. It reminded me of how they kill off Hicks and Newt at the beginning of Alien 3; kind of a slap in the face to how the last movie made you care about them. For as much flak (all justified) as Brett Ratner got for what he did to Cyclops, Prof. X, and Rogue, it irked me to see Singer pull the same thing with characters Vaughn developed. Sure, the precedence of the characters is incomparable, but still.

Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:33 AM   #48
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
I hate to say it, but Beast, like many mutants before him, is simply "just there." His role in the movie is to be the smart guy. He's the brain, Wolverine is the muscle, and Charles is the heart. Hank doesn't have his own story, he's just tagging along. He also made no progression from First Class; he's still insecure about his mutant status, using needles to hide his true self. Did he learn nothing from Charles, Mystique, or Erik? "Mutant and proud" means nothing to him.
Magneto's powers made no sense. How was he able to give voice commands to the sentinels, cause he obviously wasn't controlling them through just to magnetism? And how was he able to drive Mystique at the Paris peace accords? The bullet would've simply been pulled through the flesh with that force. Also didn't like Xavier walking explanation. I thought Trask would supply him with artificial limbs; taking his mental powers as collateral or some other form of mutant gene suppression. Spinal cord injuries and mutant abilities don't really relate like that according to the film lore.

Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:34 AM   #49
BlackFox
Almost ninja

To be honest to get the level of backstory, arc and character progression that people want for some characters you would need a weekly TV show akin to Game of Thrones to get it. For a two hour movie to do justice to every character is impossible.

(X-Men-Apocalypse:Brace yourselves, WAR is coming)
BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:37 AM   #50
samsnee
Side-Kick

I enjoyed this movie. But I agree the beginning was a little exposition heavy, which I understand why. But it felt more like they were explaining to the audience more than to each other. I would have liked to have seen more dialogue with the original cast. Did Ian or Storm even get more than 5 lines?

Also, I wish they had given old Charles some line about why there is no hint that Xavier/Mystique knew each other in the OT.

samsnee is offline   Reply With Quote