The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 05-23-2014, 09:37 AM   #51
xrs13
Cold as ice

Default Re: What you didn't like about X-Men:DOFP - Flaws/Critiques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
Magneto's powers made no sense. How was he able to give voice commands to the sentinels, cause he obviously wasn't controlling them through just to magnetism? And how was he able to drive Mystique at the Paris peace accords? The bullet would've simply been pulled through the flesh with that force. Also didn't like Xavier walking explanation. I thought Trask would supply him with artificial limbs; taking his mental powers as collateral or some other form of mutant gene suppression. Spinal cord injuries and mutant abilities don't really relate like that according to the film lore.
I think it was magneto just saying it out loud whilst turning the Sentinel onto them. The bullet thing is tiny and I liked Xaviers walking thing

Old 05-23-2014, 09:41 AM   #52
bizuk
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
That actually bothered me a lot. It reminded me of how they kill off Hicks and Newt at the beginning of Alien 3; kind of a slap in the face to how the last movie made you care about them. For as much flak (all justified) as Brett Ratner got for what he did to Cyclops, Prof. X, and Rogue, it irked me to see Singer pull the same thing with characters Vaughn developed. Sure, the precedence of the characters is incomparable, but still.
Did First Class really make people care about Azazel, Angel or Banshee the way people cared about Newt, though? They were fairly underdeveloped characters.

If they'd substituted unknown mutants it wouldn't have caused the same emotional response in Mystique and driven her to seek out Trask.

bizuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:44 AM   #53
Blitzkrieg Bop
The Dark Side

I disagree. Mystique never made it a mission of personal revenge. She was out to protect all mutants. Showing us the Dead Class was simply an explanation of what happened to them.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:45 AM   #54
Gizmo
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizuk View Post
Did First Class really make people care about Azazel, Angel or Banshee the way people cared about Newt, though? They were fairly underdeveloped characters.

If they'd substituted unknown mutants it wouldn't have caused the same emotional response in Mystique and driven her to seek out Trask.
Probably not, but I'm sure those mutants have their fans. I did enjoy Banshee. Not a knock on the character himself, but as far as the movies go, I never cared about Cyclops either.

Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:47 AM   #55
Manila Vanilla
Side-Kick

The Past scenes were done flawlessly but the Future ones were good but not the best

My complaints:

- Rogue (I wish they didn't cut her)
- Less character development & significant lines from the future mutants (Storm has only 4 lines LOL)
- Only 1 Ice slide
- Short final future battle scene (I wish it was longer but it's still good)
- So many "Peter's" I want "Pietro & Piotr"

Manila Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:00 AM   #56
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
I disagree. Mystique never made it a mission of personal revenge. She was out to protect all mutants. Showing us the Dead Class was simply an explanation of what happened to them.
But that was ultimately what pushed her to assassinate Trask (or at least try to). Those were her friends.

It gave emotional weight seeing characters we actually knew in those photos, which made Trask's crimes that much more terrible.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:01 AM   #57
bizuk
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
I don't agree. The point of her character's story in DOFP was whether she would allow herself to be ruled by a desire for revenge or give that up to ensure the protection of the entire species. I'm pretty sure Xavier even uses the word revenge or vengeance when trying to talk her down.

I assume that her friends disappearing is what led her to discover mutants disappearing in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
Probably not, but I'm sure those mutants have their fans. I did enjoy Banshee. Not a knock on the character himself, but as far as the movies go, I never cared about Cyclops either.
I'm sure they have their fans. Personally, I loved Banshee in the comics (I didn't like him in First Class, but nevermind). I just don't see their sudden, off-screen deaths on the same level as if we'd suddenly learned that Beast had died, for example.

I think it was probably a necessary sacrifice for the story they wanted to tell.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:02 AM   #58
xrs13
Cold as ice

I really think they have made Mystique the middle point of the balance, Xavier believes killing nobody is correct, magneto wants to seemingly kill everybody whilst Mystique wants to only kill the person that has hurt her (through killing others) we all know through magneto though that that is a slippery slope to go down.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:31 AM   #59
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
Magneto's powers made no sense. How was he able to give voice commands to the sentinels, cause he obviously wasn't controlling them through just to magnetism? And how was he able to drive Mystique at the Paris peace accords? The bullet would've simply been pulled through the flesh with that force. Also didn't like Xavier walking explanation. I thought Trask would supply him with artificial limbs; taking his mental powers as collateral or some other form of mutant gene suppression. Spinal cord injuries and mutant abilities don't really relate like that according to the film lore.
I definitely agree with you on the scene where Magneto drags Mystique by that embedded bullet. He could have wrapped her in part of a railing or something, that would have made more sense. It defied physics a bit much.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:35 AM   #60
xrs13
Cold as ice

My only complaint is more of a personal one, I wanted more future. It just makes me realise I am not ready to let go of that cast yet, and from looking at comments from people across lots of websites they also want two sets of films going forward. I dont think we will get that now though

Old 05-23-2014, 10:36 AM   #61
MarvelU
Side-Kick

I gave the movie a 9/10 but would have been 10/10 if it had just a few more action scenes in the future. That is really my only gripe.

MarvelU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:36 AM   #62
Great Mind(s)
Broken

I want more future too, it was so short. They can do so much now with futuristic tech.

Great Mind(s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:38 AM   #63
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Yes, from a personal standpoint, I want(ed) more future, but I was more or less okay with what we got in the movie. Except Bishop was a bit wasted when you get someone like Omar Sy in the role. He needs to be back in the altered future and a love interest for Storm!

Old 05-23-2014, 10:47 AM   #64
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

The flaws I could see were in the story, there seemed like there was a huge chunk removed out the middle and then put back together, there is a look between mystique and hank at the end which seemed like it was meant to mean something but they clearly removed some scenes of them together (we seen in images) so it seems abit Random in the final product

There is also hank using the serum to change human again to save himself which was abit weak, I gather he will still be using it for apocalypse as they didn't really conclude it

Oh and quicksilvers younger sister only appeared once doesn't make much sense in context when you do see her as you don't know who she is meant to be

And the whole magneto running off during the middle of the film and it didn't seem like anyone noticed or even cared, felt more abit rushed to move the story along

Oh and the sentinels were underused really, they were more a plot device then there for action scenes

Old 05-23-2014, 10:52 AM   #65
SkyIsBlue
Side-Kick

I am so happy that I am not the only one who felt that the future scenes especially the final battle felt too short.

SkyIsBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:57 AM   #66
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

It ended.
favorite X-men movie ever, and I loved FC...

X-men fans can officiallu stop complaining about Fox's handling of the characters. FC/DOFP were home runs and Wolverine was a good movie.
I usually avoid these threads even in movies I don't like but yeah. wow going to see it again after the holiday craze.

ciscostudent561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:59 AM   #67
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

I bet there were a lot of cuts in this film, a lot of abandoned ideas ect ect

Old 05-23-2014, 11:11 AM   #68
xrs13
Cold as ice

I really think the Blu ray could have about 1000 deleted scenes

Old 05-23-2014, 11:11 AM   #69
bizuk
Side-Kick

I wanted more of the future too. The Sentinels in the future were far scarier in 2023 than in 1973. The way they moved, the sounds they made; a longer battle with them would have been amazing. And the scene uniting Xavier, Magneto, Storm and Wolverine with the other mutants was really, really bad. It was the only scene that felt poorly written. It was exposition city and not in a clever or nicely handled way.

I don't know how the past scenes they cut - Beast and Mystique, Mystique and Wolverine, Mystique and Cerebro, etc - would have played out, so maybe they were right to cut them. But I wish they'd kept the future scenes - the Rogue sequence and the longer meeting between the future mutants where Magneto appears to threaten Blink - to give us more time in the dystopian future.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:11 AM   #70
docdoc
Side-Kick

We need an more EPIC battle for the climax!

docdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:14 AM   #71
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

My only major complaint was the CG for the future battle which I thought was pretty poor. The Sentinels movement was 'spongy' and without weight and heft.

Too much Wolverine (for me).

Not enough Prof X and Mags scenes together (past and present).

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:18 AM   #72
SkyIsBlue
Side-Kick

We have seen so many clips from trailers and BTS features that we did not see in the final cut. Would love to see those.

SkyIsBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:22 AM   #73
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

There is that shot that appeared in the tv spots with the sub basement reveal, all the lights come on while Charles stands centre... That didn't make it either, seems abit of a mistake but I gather that was part of the missing chunk

Old 05-23-2014, 11:24 AM   #74
bizuk
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
There is that shot that appeared in the tv spots with the sub basement reveal, all the lights come on while Charles stands centre... That didn't make it either, seems abit of a mistake but I gather that was part of the missing chunk
I think that might actually be Mystique disguised as Xavier. I'm sure I saw a pic somewhere of Mystique standing alone next to Cerebro, and there's a similar photo of Xavier standing alone at Cerebro on the X-Men website looking just like he does in the hallway when the lights go on.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:28 AM   #75
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizuk View Post
I think that might actually be Mystique disguised as Xavier. I'm sure I saw a pic somewhere of Mystique standing alone next to Cerebro, and there's a similar photo of Xavier standing alone at Cerebro on the X-Men website looking just like he does in the hallway when the lights go on.
Possible