The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 05-23-2014, 12:04 PM   #76
pynzrz

Default Re: What you didn't like about X-Men:DOFP - Flaws/Critiques

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
My only major complaint was the CG for the future battle which I thought was pretty poor. The Sentinels movement was 'spongy' and without weight and heft.

Too much Wolverine (for me).

Not enough Prof X and Mags scenes together (past and present).
I thought the CG was great compared to the effects in the OT. The only part I cringed at was the scene where Magneto rips apart the train tracks. The lighting made it so obvious that he was just standing in front of a green screen.

pynzrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:08 PM   #77
CyclopsWasRight
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

The future sentinels were kinda bland. I think that was intentional to showcase their merciless-ness and their simple objective-ness. But I would've preferred them bigger.

Toad and the whole Vietnam scene didn't seem that necessary. It didn't hurt the movie but well I guess it was to show how Mystique was a crusader for Mutants.

They travelled abit too much. I like CBMs to get more global but it was a tad difficult to keep track of which country they were in.

Would've preferred Stryker not Mystique as Stryker be the one to find Logan

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 05-23-2014 at 02:17 PM.
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:17 PM   #78
CB Fan
The Watcher

Like someone said action isn't Singers strong suit I would die if Vaughn and Singer co-directed Apocalypse together.

I could have used so much more with the future scenes.

Mystique was excellent but I wish they added more scales as opposed to trying to show everyone that it was JLaw behind the paint.

CB Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:20 PM   #79
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

What is Kitty's new ability and how does she get it? How is Professor X still alive?

Not enough focus on the future mutants. They all feel like basic characters.

Future Sentinels were disappointing.

No future X-Men showing up to defend and save mutants on the streets running from Sentinels.

No Sentinels searching the streets for mutants.

Mystique in Vietnam was unnecessary and should have been cut.

Too much focus on Mystique...and them using her powers for the Sentinels made sense in the story, but was ultimately a disappointing choice.

Barely any mutant vs. mutant battles.

Young Beast was a letdown...can we just get to adult Beast who already has the incredible agility and intelligence to go with it? I don't want a young Beast who always has to speak with a growly voice, hides his appearance, and doesn't even seem all that intelligent with the way he acts.

Last battle(especially future) was too short and didn't leave me feeling completely satisfied.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:24 PM   #80
Spider-Fan
Puppet tangled in strings
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
What is Kitty's new ability and how does she get it? How is Professor X still alive?
I don't mind not knowing how Xavier is alive, honestly. I think the cut scene in The Wolverine was enough. But, I was wondering how Kitty got this new ability. Can someone clarify that?

Last edited by Spider-Fan; 05-23-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:31 PM   #81
CyclopsWasRight

Quote:
No future X-Men showing up to defend and save mutants on the streets running from Sentinels.

No Sentinels searching the streets for mutants.
That would've been cool

Old 05-23-2014, 02:36 PM   #82
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I don't mind not knowing how Xavier is alie, honestly. I think the cut scene in The Wolverine was enough. But, I was wondering how Kitty got this new ability. Can someone clarify that?
From what I can recall, Charles returning at the end of The Wolverine wasn't explained either. I remember Xavier saying, "You're not the only one with gifts.", but that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
That would've been cool
Definitely.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:37 PM   #83
starkresilient
Side-Kick

future scenes were so rushed. didn't feel anything towards the future mutants. anyone could have played those roles, I was actually a little bit surprised how ellen paige had so little time

also I found the ending a little bit weird. the battle's ending feel so calm and lifeless and then we just got back to wolverine

Old 05-23-2014, 02:38 PM   #84
Spider-Fan
Puppet tangled in strings
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
From what I can recall, Charles returning at the end of The Wolverine wasn't explained either. I remember Xavier saying, "You're not the only one with gifts.", but that's it.
Exactly, and I think that was enough. It was their way of saying "It's me, I'm here, let's move along!" You can't get sidetracked on too many details, so just saying "I'm here, let's move the plot along" I felt worked. Now, Kitty's power could have used more explanation.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:48 PM   #85
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Exactly, and I think that was enough. It was their way of saying "It's me, I'm here, let's move along!" You can't get sidetracked on too many details, so just saying "I'm here, let's move the plot along" I felt worked. Now, Kitty's power could have used more explanation.
Ohh, I see what you're saying. Fair enough.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:48 PM   #86
CyclopsWasRight

I didn't mind not knowing how he came back for absoulte certain, we never found out how Loki survived his fall from the Bifrost and lived, never found out how Thor got back to Midgard after the bifrost was destroyed but it didn't matter really.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:04 PM   #87
CB Fan
The Watcher

As X3 has been proven canon Charles' presence is explained in that film and I'm fine with it.

I like Ottman but I wish Henry Jackman had returned to score.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:10 PM   #88
Great Mind(s)
Broken

The future stuff WAS really rushed. Everyone in the future was more or less a glorified cameo, hardly a role. Even Kitty... We needed more future. More dead mutants, more Sentinels, more camps. I really feel like the Rogue subplot would have taken care of that missing *something* from the future scenes.

Great Mind(s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:12 PM   #89
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
I didn't mind not knowing how he came back for absoulte certain, we never found out how Loki survived his fall from the Bifrost and lived, never found out how Thor got back to Midgard after the bifrost was destroyed but it didn't matter really.
Loki has a line in Avengers where he questions the amount of dark energy it took for Odin to send Thor back to Midgard. That plugged the hole fairly well, I thought.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:13 PM   #90
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Fan View Post
As X3 has been proven canon Charles' presence is explained in that film and I'm fine with it.

I like Ottman but I wish Henry Jackman had returned to score.
But X3 is no longer canon in the new timeline. However, I guess that does work because it would explain his presence(even though the twin brother thing is stupid). Then in the new timeline, Jean would have never killed Charles so he'd be alive.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:14 PM   #91
Smilodon
Side-Kick

The only flaw about this movie isn't that there wasn't enough of it. I think had there been more future scenes, even by about three minutes of fighting or interaction between the future X-Men and the new mutants, then the fight and payoff at the end would've been much grander. That being said it was also clear that this film was deliberately trying to avoid such an orgasmic climax of violence, action and CGI in its third act and I applaud Singer and co. for subverting whats kinda become the norm of the superhero genre today. It avoided arguably TWS's biggest fault in resorting to a big finale.

It was clear where Rogue was supposed to come in and I would've loved to see Rogue take over so we could have a reverse of X1 and really bring the franchise full circle before the ending overwrites everything but I have to applaud Singer for showing good judgement in cutting that scene because it would've been extraneous, especially since it was after Paris and the turning point of McAvoy's character development was about to take place. It would've detracted from it.

There were a lot of scenes cut and I always hate it when I see stuff I want to see from the trailers and they're not in the theatrical cut, but given the reception of the film so far both critically and financially, it's hard to argue with the results.

I really hope we get an extended cut of the film. If we do I don't think we'll get the Rogue rescue completely integrated since it would've changed so much of the film but I'd like to see an extended version of the theatrical cut with all the future scenes and stuff. Still, it was a fantastic film and even with all the cuts, the results speak for itself and Singer and co. had an obligation to make a great film first, and with a film as fraught with fanservice as this, it's hard to argue with what they've already given us.

Smilodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:15 PM   #92
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Yeah but we're never outright shown Loki's "death" in Thor like we are shown Charles exploding into ashes.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:15 PM   #93
CB Fan
The Watcher

@ ThePowerCosmic
it's not so much a twin brother but more like Charles projecting his image into people's brains whenever they see him.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:16 PM   #94
def28
Side-Kick

The amount of exposition in the future scenes was ridiculous to me. It felt like all the actors were barely anything more then extras reading an instruction booklet. I didn't care about any of them.

Was disappointed by all things Sentinels,especially in the third act.

Not enough Quicksilver.

Killing Emma Frost

Last edited by def28; 05-23-2014 at 08:41 PM.
def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:18 PM   #95
Slushy
The Man

Quote:
-Wolverine having adamantium claws in the future with no explanation
The Wolverine never happened.

Twitter: TheMachoPunk
Slushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:44 PM   #96
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

I loved everything but would have like more Havok.

Avvy by Hunter Rider

H.E.
Hush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:48 PM   #97
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Yeah but we're never outright shown Loki's "death" in Thor like we are shown Charles exploding into ashes.
This is what a cluster **** the X-men franchise had become. They left so many plot holes since X3 that they just intentionally choose to ignore them.

There's an implication that Xavier transfers his conscious into the unidentified comatose man that Moira McTaggert is caring for. This of course being an alternate Moira McTaggert than the one that worked for the FBI in XFC. So who the heck was this body double? Was Xavier there all along and a duplicate was sent to battle Jean?

Also when Xavier reads Logan's mind he sees sadness, but he misses the part where Logan sees him die?

There's no good explanation for any of it, so the writers have to pull a Jedi mind trick and at the end of the film X-men The last Stand never happened.

"I'm going to show you something beautiful. Everyone screaming, for mercy. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. You're all puppets tangled in strings.......strings....... but now I'm free. There are no strings on me."

- Ultron V
Tony Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:50 PM   #98
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hush View Post
I loved everything but would have like more Havok.
That's the other thing I didn't like about this movie, they bring back Cyke, but now Havok is dead! Scott will never know his brother

"I'm going to show you something beautiful. Everyone screaming, for mercy. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. You're all puppets tangled in strings.......strings....... but now I'm free. There are no strings on me."

- Ultron V
Old 05-23-2014, 03:57 PM   #99
def28
Side-Kick

Did a miss something? Havok is dead?

Don't remember seeing that.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:25 PM   #100
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Did a miss something? Havok is dead?

Don't remember seeing that.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I'm pretty sure he was in one of the pictures of the dead experimented on mutants that Raven found in Trask's office.

- Ultron V