The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

View Poll Results: Which Green Lantern should be used?
Hal Jordan 80 52.98%
John Stewart 61 40.40%
Other 10 6.62%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 06:07 PM   #76
tacit-ronin-
Side-Kick

Default Re: Which Green Lantern should be used?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofNascimento View Post
None, they should use Green Arrow from Arrow.
I would prefer it that green arrow be in a different team other than the justice league in the dc cinematic universe.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:13 PM   #77
Astro13Zombie
Exterminate

I have complete faith that Snyder and Wilkinson will give us something incredible looking,but I'd probably be a little disappointed if it ended up just being another "spandex" suit.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:36 PM   #78
Winter Soldier
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
could someone manip this suit so it doesn't have the mask, and so the chest emblem is closer to the color of the green on the rest of the suit? With those adjustments, this suit would be perfect
I like the armored look. GL always looks badass in armor, but I think Snyder will go for tights to show off the muscle suit.

Either way. Avoid CGI on the suit completely. That was a terrible idea. Made him look like a cartoon.

I don't even care if they have to reinvent the cannon to make the suit a physical nano-tech suit he wears (powered by the ring) as opposed to a construct completely generated by the ring.

GL needs some reinvention. The Reynolds one was a straight-up comicbook translation... and it needs to be forgotten now.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:27 PM   #79
BatmanVSuperman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
that suit sucks^

could someone manip this suit so it doesn't have the mask, and so the chest emblem is closer to the color of the green on the rest of the suit? With those adjustments, this suit would be perfect
That suit is close to perfect cause it feels like something in between BatFleck and the MOS costume

Old 05-24-2014, 03:46 AM   #80
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Soldier View Post
Either way. Avoid CGI on the suit completely. That was a terrible idea. Made him look like a cartoon.
I completely agree. I mean, that's why Superman's cape and General Zod looked like they should have been on Cartoon Network right?

Quote:
GL needs some reinvention. The Reynolds one was a straight-up comicbook translation... and it needs to be forgotten now.
Yeah, just like Batman Begins radically altered Batman after the straight up comic book translation of Batman & Robin, or Superman with Man of Steel. Right?

No.

The answer to both of those is no. Now stop saying silly things.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:51 AM   #81
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

If the GL film had not been so mediocre nobody would have batted an eyelash about the suit. It was mediocre (not an abomination, just very MEH...) so it's every little detail must be the reason why it failed and why no aspect of it should be brought over to any other live action version.

I am not of that opinion in the least and Snyder's use of CGI clothing in MOS makes me think that a CGI suit for a future GL, whom ever that character is, will most likely be in the cards.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:55 AM   #82
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Literally 5 seconds in PS to shoop out da wang.

Snyder could make a great CG Lantern.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:20 AM   #83
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Give Hal a mask, just don't CGI it, please. The last CGI suit was one of the worst decisions with that movie.

Last edited by Kevin Smith; 05-24-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:31 AM   #84
Winter Soldier
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
I completely agree. I mean, that's why Superman's cape and General Zod looked like they should have been on Cartoon Network right?

Different cases. Green Lantern's CGI suit was supposed to be a light construct. That's why it ended up looking cartoony.

Even the horrible CGI mask..

There's no defending this crap. It made the audience unable to take Reynolds seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Yeah, just like Batman Begins radically altered Batman after the straight up comic book translation of Batman & Robin, or Superman with Man of Steel. Right?

No.

The answer to both of those is no. Now stop saying silly things.

Batman Begins did radically alter Batman compared to Batman and Robin film. It went for a completely different grounded take, inspired by a different take on Batman from the source material.

Green Lantern was a straight up translation of Geoff John's retelling of Hal's origins. Johns even worked on the script unfortunately. It came off very comic-booky and didn't stand on it's own as a film.

Some elements of the comics need reinvention to work well in a live action medium. GL is no exception. They need this new take on GL to be drastically different with how they handled things with the Reynolds version. That was an absolute disaster. Their best course of action is to separate their new approach as much as they can from the 2011 film.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:37 AM   #85
Kevin Smith
Banned User

The GL film was like a mockery of all the good Johns stuff. The first draft of the script was awesome and if they'd made that movie instead of the crap they did, they'd have had a great hit and movie on their hands.

I'm convinced the director didn't get it. When Campbell came on board that's when it went to hell, because the creative forces prior to him really seemed to get it.

Sinestro was still awesome but that was literally the only positive thing about the movie and all due to Mark Strong. That stuff was perfect. But that was it sadly. What a waste.

Last edited by Kevin Smith; 05-24-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:46 AM   #86
Winter Soldier
Banned User

I blame WB and too many cooks in the kitchen (including Johns who was guiding them on set and worked on the script).

The final script just wasn't a good film script to work with. It was written like a comic.

It wasn't the type of film people expected from WB/DC in the post-Dark Knight era.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:42 AM   #87
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

They can use multiple Green Lanterns over the JL films. It finally gives someone a valid way of killing a main character in a comic franchise and keeping them dead. Same goes for Flash.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:09 PM   #88
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Quote:
I blame WB and too many cooks in the kitchen (including Johns who was guiding them on set and worked on the script).

The final script just wasn't a good film script to work with. It was written like a comic.

It wasn't the type of film people expected from WB/DC in the post-Dark Knight era.
Johns was a consultant, that he "penned" the script is absolute BS. And most comics I've read have been better written than what was in the final version of the GL film.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:18 PM   #89
Winter Soldier
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post
Johns was a consultant, that he "penned" the script is absolute BS. And most comics I've read have been better written than what was in the final version of the GL film.
Johns confirmed himself that he worked closely with the scriptwriter.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=334496

That whole thread is funny to look back on. So many hopeful defenders of the film.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:16 PM   #90
Steelsheen
Iconic

ok wait.... so does this mean The Rock-as-GL tattle is nothing but that?

M A D N E S S
IS LIKE GRAVITY
ALL IT TAKES
IS A LITTLE
PUSH

Join the newest Maze Runner Community built by Gladers for Gladers! http://themazerunner.net/forums

Follow me on Twitter: All the Geekery @Steelsheen | MazeRunner @DashnerGeek | Divergent @SteeleDivergent

Old 05-24-2014, 01:27 PM   #91
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Hope so. I like The Rock and think he is a better fit for many other roles.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:29 PM   #92
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Rock pretty much shot down the GL rumors himself, didn't he?

Old 05-24-2014, 01:39 PM   #93
Astro13Zombie
Exterminate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Hope so. I like The Rock and think he is a better fit for many other roles.
Agreed.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:09 PM   #94
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
Sort of, but I don't believe anything anyone says outside of official announcements. They've talked crap before and even if you're not Green Lantern one day and haven't been offered the part, doesn't mean you won't get offered it later.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:19 PM   #95
Man.of.Tomorrow
Side-Kick

Quote:
Different cases. Green Lantern's CGI suit was supposed to be a light construct. That's why it ended up looking cartoony.

There's no defending this crap. It made the audience unable to take Reynolds seriously.
Wow. That mask is stupendously awful.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:38 PM   #96
Rorschach2012
$

I think GL 2011's suit would've worked better without the mask

Old 05-24-2014, 03:09 PM   #97
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:

So you've come to the conclusion bad CGI looks bad over your original assertion "avoid CGI on the suit completely. Made him look like a cartoon".

Jeez, you might burn out your gearbox with how fast you reversed there!

Quote:
Batman Begins did radically alter Batman compared to Batman and Robin film. It went for a completely different grounded take, inspired by a different take on Batman from the source material.
Radically different from Batman & Robin =/= Radically different from the source material.

Quote:
Green Lantern was a straight up translation of Geoff John's retelling of Hal's origins.
C'mon. Admit you haven't even read Secret Origin if you're going to say things like that.

Quote:
Johns even worked on the script unfortunately. It came off very comic-booky and didn't stand on it's own as a film.
omg, wat?

This is going to be fun to take apart. Where shall I begin?

Let's just begin with time constraints. Geoff Johns is listed as a co-producer, because DC Entertainment themselves helped co-produce the film (as opposed to Syncopy, who produced TDKT and MOS). Geoff Johns specifically is credited because he is the CCO of DC Entertainment. A position he did not acquire until February 2010.

One month AFTER Green Lantern had already begun filming (just pickups and establishing shots though).

Then principal photography began three weeks later. Assuming Geoff wasn't at the same time writing several comic book titles and overseeing the entirety of the DC Comics world with Diane Nelson, Paul Levitz, Bob Harras, Jim Lee and Dan Didio, Geoff Johns would still be unlikely to write a full script, David Goyer did manage to lock himself away and get Batman Begins done in three weeks before handing it in to Chris Nolan (who then edited it a little).

So let's just move on the other scriptwriters. Marc Guggenheim, the screenwriter, happened to say: "So I’ve been reading 'Secret Origin' with a real interest in seeing 'OK, how did Geoff solve this problem?' There are certain elements just for anyone trying to retell Hal’s origin for a modern day audience has to address and grapple with. For example, why the hell was Abin [Sur] flying in a space ship when he's a Green Lantern? You don't ask that question back in the Silver Age, but when you're writing in the Modern Age, you have to answer these things."

He said that in October 2008. Almost a year and a half before Geoff Johns became affiliated with the film, and two months before Secret Origin finished.

Now we'll move on to how screenwriting credits work. Assuming you'd be correct about Green Lantern being a direct translation of Secret Origin (you're not). Then you'll need to take in Guggenheim's actual words in which he talks about finishing his penultimate draft in spring 2008 (before Secret Origin had even begun). So, given that changing the film to reflect Geoff Johns' story would require a massive overhaul and that would mean Geoff Johns should be credited not only as Co-Producer, but also as story writer and scriptwriter, as the terms of the WGA.

Then you can compare the penultimate draft of the script (which can be found online) to the final draft. The biggest change is the substitution of the character Alan Scott to Amanda Waller.

Other changes were-

Adding a couple lines to Sinestro (which is always praised)
LEGION became Krona. Krona was named Parallax. Role unchanged.
The opening planet named Ryut.
Cameos cut.

That's pretty much it.

So yeah, Geoff just logistically cannot be at fault for the film. Truth is it was an already fairly weak script handed to an incapable director (for that film).

Quote:
Some elements of the comics need reinvention to work well in a live action medium. GL is no exception. They need this new take on GL to be drastically different with how they handled things with the Reynolds version. That was an absolute disaster. Their best course of action is to separate their new approach as much as they can from the 2011 film.
Different to 2011 film. Yes. Different from the character. No.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:46 PM   #98
regwec
Shakespearo

If there was an "anyone but Hal" option, my name would be found next to it.

It is unnecessary to point out that somebody's opinion is their opinion. Don't.

Worried they might cast a black man as your favourite superhero? :(
Old 05-24-2014, 08:02 PM   #99
Rorschach2012
$

Prepare to be disappointed reg

Old 05-24-2014, 11:48 PM   #100
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
He did; but that could just be a smokescreen. I never thought he would be John Stewart, but at the same time filmmakers and actors lie about this type of stuff all the time because they have to. Just look at
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Benedict Cumberbatch and Khan.

Best CBMs
1. Batman Begins 2. Man of Steel 3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 4. The Dark Knight 5. Avengers
Closed Thread