The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 06-29-2014, 03:20 AM   #226
PunyGod
Dojo

Default Re: Well done Bryan Singer!

Last edited by PunyGod; 07-11-2014 at 12:27 AM.
PunyGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:33 AM   #227
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
If Singer has a flaw it's that he has never delivered a kick ass finale to any of his CBMs.
Kiss ass finale? I think you picked the wrong word. Maybe you mean action packed? Though I think the finale for X2/DOFP were action packed.

The finale for x2/X1/DOFP are kick-ass just for their story and quality.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:19 AM   #228
HIA
Banned User

The final of his xmen movies arent as epic and mindblowing as they should be, having such an epic and badass roster of mutants.
The only one doing something big is Magneto, and the only one having a decent fight is Wolverine, in X1, in X2 and in Dofp with a little help by Beast, during just 4 seconds, but thats it.
This is not what the uncanny X-men deserve

HIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:22 AM   #229
lastairbender
Side-Kick

Yes, i kind of agree with that lack of epicness that we expect with X-men, and fighting as a team. DOFP gave us a little of that at the end, but i always get out feeling it could be better...

lastairbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:14 AM   #230
HIA
Banned User

same with me. The future portion had an awesome team, and the action was pretty cool, but felt too short and shown in a way that we couldnt feel the battle in continuity, because of the editing with past-future.

I think we deserve a straight 10minutes X-Men battle non stop, with each X-Man showing his power on its full potential. If Singer did this one day, the audience would go crazy, and we could have the biggest superhero battle ever. But if they dont show all this potential in a long battle, the audience will always feel that it was cool, but not mindblowing (something that would lead to an awesome word of mouth)

Old 06-29-2014, 09:44 AM   #231
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

I'd love an epic battle showdown too.

Although, as far as I recall, even Avengers didn't show a battle with all the team fighting in the same shot. They had their own battles, the camera moved from one to another.

However, that means that X-Men still has scope to do something like this, as in the artwork we saw for the final battle in X3. A single panning camera shot showing everyone fighting, then you could zoom in and show individual battles.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:57 AM   #232
HIA
Banned User

yes, its not about seeing them in one shoot, is about seeing a long battle where the camera goes from one mutant to another, with everyone fighting at the same time on the streets or any other place. the key is a long battle and a big location, where the battle feels huge in scale and intense in terms of what's happening and how dangerous the battle is.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:40 AM   #233
Serpico Jones
Side-Kick

So I guess Magneto dropping a stadium on the White House while controlling a group of Sentinels with his mind isn't good enough for some people.

Serpico Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:26 PM   #234
HIA
Banned User

not for the people that preffer the X-Men to have the biggest action, not the same villain as last movies. weird X-Men fans, I know

Old 06-29-2014, 12:32 PM   #235
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

Jean's death in X2 is one of my favourite endings of all time.

Mad Ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:04 PM   #236
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpico Jones View Post
So I guess Magneto dropping a stadium on the White House while controlling a group of Sentinels with his mind isn't good enough for some people.
That was great, no doubt.

But we had the GG Bridge being lifted in X3, a submarine being lifted in First Class, and now the JFK Stadium being lifted in DoFP. All big structures being lifted by Magneto - it's in danger of becoming a bit of a tired idea.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:41 PM   #237
PunyGod
Dojo

Last edited by PunyGod; 07-11-2014 at 12:27 AM.
PunyGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:44 PM   #238
HIA
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
That was great, no doubt.

But we had the GG Bridge being lifted in X3, a submarine being lifted in First Class, and now the JFK Stadium being lifted in DoFP. All big structures being lifted by Magneto - it's in danger of becoming a bit of a tired idea.
exactly. Same thing, different place.
But apparently some fans are easily pleased with that, so congrats I guess

Old 06-30-2014, 12:22 AM   #239
SkyIsBlue
Side-Kick

Wow, I am quite pleased that I keep seeing people here who think that the action stuff could've been longer. Haha.

This of course did not ruin DOFP in any way for me. Heck, I rated DOFP with 8/10.

But yes, as I keep on mentioning to my friends, a full 5 - 10 minutes of a continuous battle would've made the film more WOOT WOOT! Especially the future mutants. They had such an awesome team.

To be honest, from where I live, many people flock to X-Men and other superhero movies for the action, more than the story. They look for a fun and action packed movie for the whole family. Well, we can't hate them for that. After all, they contribute a lot to the success of DOFP's financial performance. A lot of people I know who are "casual" fans of the X-Men (some of them only go to movies or watch a few tv series) said that they find DOFP a decent movie, but it still lacked action, according to them. I think many of them expected an Avengers type of movie where the final NYC battle was continuous.

As much as I dislike X3 for ruining my favorite story (Phoenix Saga), I think it had the most action packed scenes. At least we were able to see the X-Men team in a longer team battle.

Hopefully in the DVD release, we will get to see a few additional minutes with the future mutants.

Last edited by SkyIsBlue; 06-30-2014 at 12:30 AM.
SkyIsBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:11 PM   #240
x-er
Side-Kick

I've seen it three times now, both in 2d and 3d and it's by far one of the best superhero films I've seen in a while. Maybe since x2 or the Batman Trilogy.

There is a good message of acceptance (coexistence? tolerance?) in there for general audiences and I think Bryan works well with it.

The ensemble cast was well-handled and boy is it an amazing cast! Most of them well-acted.

My only complaint may be the 3d format. In my opinion, it only seemed work in talking scenes with foreground, middle ground and background.
On the other hand, action scenes were shot a bit too up close to be able to appreciate any depth. Also the flashier powers (i.e. Iceman or Blink's, for example) barely had a bit of a 3d mist. It seemed a bit cheap since you'd think Blink's portals would somehow be more visually astounding.

On the other hand, the ending is flawless to me. The scene where Professor X and Magneto say goodbye to each other in the future chokes me up each time.

9/10

x-er is offline   Reply With Quote