The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 05-24-2014, 10:50 PM   #51
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Default Re: Well done Bryan Singer!

I don't know... the film kinda reinforced the idea that the franchise would be better off without Singer's involvement. Mostly from a story standpoint, anyway.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:05 PM   #52
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

If anything, the film attested that the franchise is a lot better in the hands of Singer. From the visual standpoint, First Class is a terrific film, as it is a love letter to 60's cinema.

However, the standoff on the beach undercuts characterization and the artistry of the film. Trying to unpack everything wrong is frustrating as it is one of the sloppiest written sequences in superhero history. First and foremost, what I found grating about the scene was that Moira was acting like she had been lobotomized. She knew that Eric was a master of magnetism, yet her response to Eric being Eric was to shoot a gun at him. There's no justification for this character decision; in one swift stroke, they turned one of the smarter and more resourceful females in the X-series into an idiot. The fact that they follow up with a scene of Eric wiping her mind is redundant, as it seemed her mind-memory and some of the hardware included-were wiped well before he went to work on it.

The whole A Separate Piece shading for Charles' crippling injury made it even more infuriating. I liked that Singer took a jab at in DOFP with the line about Eric's "magic bullets." I did not like A Separate Piece, nor did I care for its influence on the narrative.

Last, but not least, the mutant and proud bit. That line was way worse than the coming out scene in X2. It should have been a tagline for a poster, not a line in the film. It's in the same spectrum as the "I'm the Juggernaut, b****," though decidedly not as horrid...but, still bad.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
At DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:37 AM   #53
Silvermoth
Avenger

Makes me worry a bit though. Singer is so great but what if he decided to walk? Could anyone else in Hollywood get it so right?

I mean there's Vaughan of course but he doesn't sound thrilled about coming back

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:45 AM   #54
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
I don't know... the film kinda reinforced the idea that the franchise would be better off without Singer's involvement. Mostly from a story standpoint, anyway.
Yeah he just destroyed Ratners fine work

(X-Men-Apocalypse:Brace yourselves, WAR is coming)
BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:49 AM   #55
CapedCrusader14
You're In Carcosa Now

I am chiming in with The Joker, this is the best comic book film since The Dark Knight.

Bravo Mr Singer, I applaud you.

75 Years of the Batman - Happy Anniversary to my Hero
CapedCrusader14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:52 AM   #56
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapedCrusader14 View Post
I am chiming in with The Joker, this is the best comic book film since The Dark Knight.

Bravo Mr Singer, I applaud you.
I might agree with that statement once I've seen it again but Rises, Avengers and TWS are tough competition.

Still shall decide soon.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:56 AM   #57
CapedCrusader14
You're In Carcosa Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFox View Post
I might agree with that statement once I've seen it again but Rises, Avengers and TWS are tough competition.

Still shall decide soon.
Part of me wants to say since Rises as I do love Rises oh so very much, but TDK is my favourite film so that's where I mainly draw the comparison. So I guess since TDK and Rises. The Avengers is okay by my books and The Winter Soldier was the best Marvel Studios film since Iron Man.

This film was just something else for me, I was almost in disbelief at just how DAMN good it was.

75 Years of the Batman - Happy Anniversary to my Hero
CapedCrusader14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:05 AM   #58
BlackFox
Almost ninja

I yeah I hear you, the end of this was very reminiscent of Rises I thought and I didnt expect that from an Xmen film.

I just need to see it again to make sure I wasnt carried away by hype the first time, but damn there was just so much good stuff in this it was hard to take it all in at once, it was finally the Xmen film I had been waiting for watching the cartoons and comics as a kid.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:09 AM   #59
Weather Witch
Side-Kick

Thank you Bryan. Now go make Apocalypse!

Old 05-25-2014, 05:40 AM   #60
Harley2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
I yeah I hear you, the end of this was very reminiscent of Rises I thought and I didnt expect that from an Xmen film.

I just need to see it again to make sure I wasnt carried away by hype the first time, but damn there was just so much good stuff in this it was hard to take it all in at once, it was finally the Xmen film I had been waiting for watching the cartoons and comics as a kid.
My thoughts as well. I have to let some time pass, to say it was better than rises. Maybe it is, just surprised how effective and emotional at times, it was.

Going back to 2000, after once there's only one superhero movie in 2008 that jumps out to me that is better than this. After a few more viewings we will see.

I hope Singer and maybe fox more importantly takes time though with Apocalypse. Get the screenplay right.

Harley2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:46 AM   #61
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley2004 View Post
My thoughts as well. I have to let some time pass, to say it was better than rises. Maybe it is, just surprised how effective and emotional at times, it was.

Going back to 2000, after once there's only one superhero movie in 2008 that jumps out to me that is better than this. After a few more viewings we will see.

I hope Singer and maybe fox more importantly takes time though with Apocalypse. Get the screenplay right.
Yeah, thats my concern now, DOFP is so damn good I just hope they can at least maintain that level of quality. Its not going to be easy for them but after FC, TW and now this they are on a good run and heading in the right direction but this will be a hard act to follow, look what came after X2, Spiderman 2 and even Blade 2.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:44 AM   #62
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:

Interesting. The ending of this film reminded of a Nolan film. But not Rises. It reminded me of Inception. Not to mention the climax occuring between different planes of existence.

But you are right. Thinking about it, Charles' arc does resemble Bruce's.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:11 AM   #63
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Yeah he just destroyed Ratners fine work
Eh, Ratner came in too late to really take any blame. It goes back to him, Vaughn, and of course, Fox.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:12 AM   #64
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:

Still shall decide soon.
I would say I also prefer The Dark Knight Rises and maybe X-Men: First Class. But when I think of GREAT comic book movies, from TDK to now, DOFP is certainly on this list. I forgot how enjoyable a really good comic book movie can be.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:16 AM   #65
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

DoFP is Singer's most 'ambitious' and well-made X-Men movie, even though X2 had a better spread of character moments and screentime and, perhaps, better structure overall. DoFP needed another action scene in the middle where it went all talky and plotty for a long time (and the man along from me yawned and was asked if he was bored).

They slightly hamstrung themselves with 70s action because only Magneto and Quicksilver were able to provide epic visuals.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:22 AM   #66
Manila Vanilla
Side-Kick

All I can say to Bryan Singer is "Girrl! You better werkk (more)"

DOFP is the best X-Men movie to date, period!

I want "The Rock" to be Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC Avengers View Post

Last edited by Manila Vanilla; 05-26-2014 at 10:53 AM.
Manila Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:26 AM   #67
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

LOL no!

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:01 AM   #68
Randal Graves
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualiza View Post
John Ottman deserves kudos as well; he wore two crucial hats for this one himself - editor and composer.
So does Simon Kinberg. He wrote and produced the best comic book movie of the year after being called a hack and other choice names for YEARS.

Randal Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:45 AM   #69
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Yeah I kinda felt bad doubting Simon Kinberg all this time.

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 05-26-2014, 03:10 AM   #70
Jumpman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Yeah I kinda felt bad doubting Simon Kinberg all this time.
Yep. And it sounds as if he, Singer, and Donner have pretty solid plans for what they want to do with APOCALYPSE.

Honestly, I think we're back on track for the moment.

Dan Harris and Michael Doughtery are also back for this film as well so I like the brain trust going into the next film.

But, yeah, Singer's got to direct this next film. Not saying it'll be the finale but it just might be.

Jumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:17 AM   #71
harryoscop
OsCorp CEO

Hey guys i'm not sure if i should see X-men dofp but i want to because i read some of the plot and it sounds really really good but the problem is i'm a christian and i'm afraid that the movie contains anti christian messages because remember X1, X2 Intro where xavier talks about evolotion bottom line is i'm really strong in my faith but i just want one of you guys to confirm if it has these messages or not Thanks.

harryoscop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:20 AM   #72
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Ronin View Post
Interesting. The ending of this film reminded of a Nolan film. But not Rises. It reminded me of Inception. Not to mention the climax occuring between different planes of existence.

But you are right. Thinking about it, Charles' arc does resemble Bruce's.
Yeah it sort of has a bit of both I suppose. The amount of questions it leaves with you at the end is very much like Inception, the timeline, what has happened before or after, sign of a good movie if it leaves you with lots to talk about. A fantastic ending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
I would say I also prefer The Dark Knight Rises and maybe X-Men: First Class. But when I think of GREAT comic book movies, from TDK to now, DOFP is certainly on this list. I forgot how enjoyable a really good comic book movie can be.
Yeah the X-men series has sort of walked the line between the ultra serious Dark Knight trilogy and more light hearted Marvel tone.

I guess it will come down to your mood and who your favourite character ultimately is but its good that X-men has an entry that can hold its own up against the best in the genre, X2 is still highly regarded today but this series needed a BIG entry as things have moved on since those days in terms of spectacle and technological advances, but I think they did it.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:22 AM   #73
harryoscop
OsCorp CEO

Also ice man is my fav

Old 05-26-2014, 03:27 AM   #74
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Yeah the X-men series has sort of walked the line between the ultra serious Dark Knight trilogy and more light hearted Marvel tone.
And thats why I love about the X-Men movies. I really couldn't enjoy the Dark Knight trilogy because its just so damn serious and gritty and I always feel like there's always lack of an emotional depth in MCU movies.

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 05-26-2014, 03:30 AM   #75
harryoscop
OsCorp CEO

Quote:
Yeah it sort of has a bit of both I suppose. The amount of questions it leaves with you at the end is very much like Inception, the timeline, what has happened before or after, sign of a good movie if it leaves you with lots to talk about. A fantastic ending.

I guess it will come down to your mood and who your favourite character ultimately is but its good that X-men has an entry that can hold its own up against the best in the genre, X2 is still highly regarded today but this series needed a BIG entry as things have moved on since those days in terms of spectacle and technological advances, but I think they did it.
Please guys!