The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Apocalypse

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 01:28 PM   #1
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: X-Men Apocalypse News and Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 21

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Old 12-11-2015, 01:28 PM   #2
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: X-Men Apocalypse News and Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - Part 20

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Old 12-11-2015, 01:28 PM   #3
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Default Re: X-Men Apocalypse News and Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
even among true fans of these movies lawrence's mystique is divise topic.

I will always believe lawrence blowing up with hungar games affected what they did with her in Apocalypse and lesser degre DOFP.

It's going to be intresting to see how they end things with lawrence's mystique come may 27.
i fully agree with this... this prequel series has really bummed me out.. at the amount of missed opportunities.. i wanted to see how mystique became the person we saw in the OT.. not whatever she's becoming now.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:28 PM   #4
iacobusleo
Side-Kick

Default Re: X-Men Apocalypse News and Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
haha you'd be one of the few that said mystique in the OT had no personality.. she oozed it.. we didn't know her depth or backstory.. but who she was is what made her an iconic movie character... and gained her a fanbase like it or not. Id take Rebecca's Mystique any day of the week over Jlaws
I really can't understand how you can say that we don't know her depth or backstory, and yet that she oozes personality, all in one sentence. XD

She is cold, efficient and merciless. Aside from her belief in mutants being free to not hide who they truly are, those three terms can also be used to describe a robot. And I'm struggling to think of anything else I know about OT Mystique.

It was her striking design that made her iconic.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:29 PM   #5
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

Default Re: X-Men Apocalypse News and Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

Wow people cannot get over this Mystique thing. She was a villain for three movies and then for story reason became more heroic (which is still ambiguous - she's fighting Apocalypse, which doesn't really make her a hero. It makes her someone who doesn't want the earth to get destroyed). Movies are different from comics, moving on.

I love that Jean opens up the trailer. So glad she's back. I'm happy we saw Cyclops' blast. Storm was the best part of the trailer and I wish we saw more of her. I love bald Xavier. This feels so much like X-men.

And Apocalypse looks great. Are people eating crow or is this still an issue for people?

Old 12-11-2015, 01:31 PM   #6
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Xavier is also mean't to change by the end of this movie differently to how he was in the OT

J.J. Abrams “We are standing on the shoulders of Episodes I through VI.”
Old 12-11-2015, 01:32 PM   #7
iacobusleo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Ones View Post
And Apocalypse looks great. Are people eating crow or is this still an issue for people?
Still an issue for some. And probably even more so once people get wind of Singer's comment that Apocalypse can't grow to massive sizes and swat people around whenever he wants.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:33 PM   #8
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
But what exactly do you pick to be comic book accurate? Do you, for example, take the original 'Jean and Phoenix is one and the same' storyline for Dark Phoenix Saga or 'Jean was replicated by Phoenix, Dark Phoenix wasn't actually her' storyline. Either would get complaints.

The comics are to put in your terms, broken in a number of ways continuity wise. So why do we need to hold the films so strictly to adhering to a broken and at times contradictory source material in the first place?

And to apply this to Mystique, she has in the comics worked for the government before you know.
it's not really that hard of a concept.. not sure why some of you are so defensive and making it far more complicated than what it is... you just simply choose the more popular interpretations and more well known. Mystique has been pretty well established as to what kind of character she is... and what people should expect. I mean... do we really want to see Logan appear on screen as a pretty boy who's afraid of his powers when he's recast and reintroduced? and not the animal he is? there's a fine line between giving the audience something interesting and going too far and giving them something they didn't want.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:35 PM   #9
CaptainWagner
Stop.....Boomerang Time!

Quote:
i fully agree with this... this prequel series has really bummed me out.. at the amount of missed opportunities.. i wanted to see how mystique became the person we saw in the OT.. not whatever she's becoming now.
Personally, I think it would be incredibly cheap to have the characters all end up the way they were in a reality that IS NOT their future. You just can't base any of their arcs over what happened in the OT, because everything is different now.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:37 PM   #10
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Because Singer and Co. pulled a Star Trek '09 with DoFP, Mystique doesn't have to end up like she did in the original timeline. Expecting her to kind of defeats the narrative purpose of doing DoFP in the first place.

As an aside, I can't help but wonder how this movie will end up playing if/when watched in story order alongside the other previously-released films starting with Origins: Wolverine and going through DoFP.
it doesn't really matter the excuse for it.. imo.. it's just not a direction i like or want to see (And i know its pretty divided amongst the X-men film fan community... so this isn't something out of the blue to be upset about. ) and from what i've gathered is the younger community who were introduce to the X-men via movies that are more open to it.

and on a side note. Singer and FOX seem to not be able to make up there minds on how they want to connect this film series to the OT... because some things point to them trying to line it up with X-men 1 and others point to quite the opposite. I think they should be focusing on one or the other.. you either vastly stray, or don't stray at all..

truth be told we still don't even know if the DOFP timeline was the OT timeline (or an alternate one).. or if the OT timeline is part of the FC timeline.. Singers never confirmed any of it.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:38 PM   #11
iacobusleo
Side-Kick

Quote:
you just simply choose the more popular interpretations and more well known. Mystique has been pretty well established as to what kind of character she is... and what people should expect.
Well, which is the more popular interpretation for the Jean/Phoenix thing? It's all subjective. And what is well-known may clash with the director's vision of a story. The director is not a slave to the fans.

And again, Mystique has been well established as to what kind of character she is in the OT. Do we really expect every movie to emphasize the fact that she is a cold merciless killer?

Quote:
I mean... do we really want to see Logan appear on screen as a pretty boy who's afraid of his powers when he's recast and reintroduced? and not the animal he is? there's a fine line between giving the audience something interesting and going too far and giving them something they didn't want.
Well, it seems the audience so far loves pretty boy, over 6 feet Wolverine. Comic book fanboys' wants and the mainstream audiences' wants don't always mesh, and the mainstream audience is always going to have an impact on the actual movie being made.

Quote:
Wow people cannot get over this Mystique thing. She was a villain for three movies and then for story reason became more heroic (which is still ambiguous - she's fighting Apocalypse, which doesn't really make her a hero. It makes her someone who doesn't want the earth to get destroyed). Movies are different from comics, moving on.
Hear hear.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:38 PM   #12
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

Reading some of these comments makes me happy that hype members aren't in charge of this franchise.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:38 PM   #13
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

****ing awesome trailer. Apocalypse looks great. Love the amount of powers shown and the opening in the school

Blade • X-Men • Spider-Man • Blade 2 • X-Men 2 • HULK • Spider-Man 2 • Iron Man • X-Men First Class • Thor • Captain America: The First Avenger • The Amazing Spider-Man • The Wolverine • X-Men Days of Future Past • Guardians of the Galaxy • DEADPOOL
Old 12-11-2015, 01:40 PM   #14
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
I'm curious: Where has this been said?

Also, just because Mystique is helping the team out in Apocalypse and seems to be "on the side of the angels" again doesn't mean she'll stay there, and her character could very easily and believably backslide, putting her back in a place that could lead her to eventually become the character she'd been in the original timeline.
if you are indeed a "writer" than you should know you can only go back and forth with a character so much until the readers stop caring and lose interest... it's shoddy writing.

it's better writing to stick with the course they now put her on than to have her suddenly revert... it's just a stupid direction to have taken her in from the get go.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:41 PM   #15
intensity
Side-Kick

So are we assuming that the mansion blows up at some point, and that Quicksilver is responsible for saving some or all of the students? Is this also how Havok may meet his end?

I'm wondering what level of power Jean will have in the film during the battle scenes.. it would be nice to see some power combos between all of the X-Men to team up and fend off the Horsemen. Also, what really, no offense, can Mystique do on the battlefield?

Is that Xavier that is fighting a huge Apocalypse?

As for Jubilee... the fact that she is in the trailer, and that Singer mentioned having her in here for a purpose, leads me to believe she will have a memorable role... even though a small one... and not end up on the cutting room floor. Thoughts on her part being bigger than Jubilee's X2 role, including the deleted scene?

Old 12-11-2015, 01:42 PM   #16
iacobusleo
Side-Kick

Quote:
and from what i've gathered is the younger community who were introduce to the X-men via movies that are more open to it.
Hmm that's interesting and makes a lot of sense. I was introduced via the X-Men Evolution cartoon and the movies so I really don't understand this fuss about the changes. It's all about the fear of change then.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:43 PM   #17
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacobusleo View Post
I really can't understand how you can say that we don't know her depth or backstory, and yet that she oozes personality, all in one sentence. XD

She is cold, efficient and merciless. Aside from her belief in mutants being free to not hide who they truly are, those three terms can also be used to describe a robot. And I'm struggling to think of anything else I know about OT Mystique.

It was her striking design that made her iconic.
because you don't need depth and backstory to have a personality... in X1 she had one friggin line.. and it said all you needed to know about who she was... and how she acted... "People like you were the reason i was afraid to go to school as a child" personality is not about knowing a history.. it's about having a presence. You don't even need to speak and have dialogue to have a personality... there's body language.

Mystique in DOFP was far from "cold and mercilous" she was a scared angry woman

Old 12-11-2015, 01:44 PM   #18
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

Quote:

I love that Jean opens up the trailer. So glad she's back. I'm happy we saw Cyclops' blast. Storm was the best part of the trailer and I wish we saw more of her. I love bald Xavier. This feels so much like X-men.

ahhhhh seee y i missed u.
every sentence on point

Maddy its the same folks as always

Old 12-11-2015, 01:44 PM   #19
psylockolussus
Mutated User

I wonder how long the movie is!

Finding Dory, The Conjuring 2, Civil War, Beyond, Ghostbusters, Jason, Apocalypse, Legend of Tarzan, Angry Birds, Suicide Squad, Out of the Shadows, Through the Looking Glass, Collision Course, Resurgence, Warcraft.

www.twitter.com/xmenmoviesandtv
Old 12-11-2015, 01:44 PM   #20
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainWagner View Post
Personally, I think it would be incredibly cheap to have the characters all end up the way they were in a reality that IS NOT their future. You just can't base any of their arcs over what happened in the OT, because everything is different now.
Agreed, which is why I want to find out where it was said that they would.

With Mystique, they could still get the character to the place was in the original timeline, but the reasoning would need to be different because the circumstances in which she and mutantkind as a whole find themselves in this new timeline are different as far as the temperament of society is concerned.

"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Quote:
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
Old 12-11-2015, 01:45 PM   #21
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainWagner View Post
eh prequels are suppose to be designed to add back story, depth and see how a character ended up to where they are at now... that's the whole point of a prequel.

we also still don't know what time line is what.. and not only that.. but a huge part of time theory is also the fact most things.. usually still find a way to happen one way or another.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:47 PM   #22
iacobusleo
Side-Kick

Quote:
because you don't need depth and backstory to have a personality... in X1 she had one friggin line.. and it said all you needed to know about who she was... and how she acted... "People like you were the reason i was afraid to go to school as a child" personality is not about knowing a history.. it's about having a presence. You don't even need to speak and have dialogue to have a personality... there's body language.
Personality =/= presence. Presence is a facet of personality.

Quote:
Mystique in DOFP was far from "cold and mercilous" she was a scared angry woma
Angry? Definitely. Scared? Hardly.

Last edited by iacobusleo; 12-11-2015 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:48 PM   #23
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Days of Future Past and Apocalypse aren't, technically speaking, Prequels. They're representative of a Star Trek '09 way of rejuvenating the franchise while also continuing to build on what had come before.

"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Quote:
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
Old 12-11-2015, 01:50 PM   #24
psylockolussus
Mutated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
Days of Future Past and Apocalypse aren't, technically speaking, Prequels. They're representative of a Star Trek '09 way of rejuvenating the franchise while also continuing to build on what had come before.
Days of Future Past wasn't a prequel simply bcos Logan from the future went to the 70s so for a moment the 70s also became the present like his present mind was there.

However, Apocalypse serves like a prequel to the happy future that we saw in DOFP. It also felt like an obligatory third film for the FC cast then an obligatory origin film for Cyclops/Jean/Storm.

Finding Dory, The Conjuring 2, Civil War, Beyond, Ghostbusters, Jason, Apocalypse, Legend of Tarzan, Angry Birds, Suicide Squad, Out of the Shadows, Through the Looking Glass, Collision Course, Resurgence, Warcraft.

www.twitter.com/xmenmoviesandtv
Old 12-11-2015, 01:51 PM   #25
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacobusleo View Post
Well, which is the more popular interpretation for the Jean/Phoenix thing? It's all subjective. And what is well-known may clash with the director's vision of a story. The director is not a slave to the fans.

And again, Mystique has been well established as to what kind of character she is in the OT. Do we really expect every movie to emphasize the fact that she is a cold merciless killer?

Well, it seems the audience so far loves pretty boy, over 6 feet Wolverine. Comic book fanboys' wants and the mainstream audiences' wants don't always mesh, and the mainstream audience is always going to have an impact on the actual movie being made.

the jean/phoenix thing is indeed subjective.. but both takes are accurate (unlike mystique) For film you just adapt the less complex.. so i personally wouldn't go with the planet devouring space entity unless you really want to take the X-men into the sci-fi space realm. it just depends on what direction you want to take, so not really a fair comparison.

and no.. Hugh has never been a "pretty boy" in the movies... Has he been hot and a person of womens desires? yes.. but that's not what a "pretty boy" means. A pretty boy looks like a model, not a hairy lumberjack

Closed Thread