The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 05-24-2014, 07:00 PM   #26
Whiskey Tango
#N7DAY14

Default Re: How Much Was REALLY Retconned?

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:02 PM   #27
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Cs Funny Re: How Much Was REALLY Retconned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem View Post
Lmfao!

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:20 PM   #28
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM View Post

ciscostudent561 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:41 PM   #29
Supperhero
Side-Kick

Hahahahah great

Supperhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:41 PM   #30
Dude of Steel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanada View Post
Other transforming mutants?
You don't need a transforming mutant to hijack a helicopter. And any attractive woman could seduce the security guard. As for the scene where Mystique breaks into Stryker's offices, any transporting mutant could have done the job. Or heck, Quicksilver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
I think it's just easier and makes more sense to assume that all the events of the first trilogy + the two Wolverine movies never happened in the newly formed timeline.
It's easier but the ending where Wolverine is reunited with the original cast is a giant hint that not everything was retconned. It's Hank's pebbles in the water theory. Some things are abound to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM View Post
Excellent.

Dude of Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:23 PM   #31
Spider-Fan83
Thwip Thwip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurm... View Post
Does Wolvie even have adamantium claws? At the end, that was Mystique acquiring Wolvie's body, not Stryker, which means he would not experiment on him directly afterwards. Is this correct?
I thought the professor mentioning that he taught history (at the end, in the new timeline) was a hint, that he never went through the experiments, never lost his memory
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude of Steel View Post
It's possible, I suppose. But does that mean that his memory remains intact?
actually if you think about, at this point his only real memories are of those few days he spent in the 70's(or however long it was), he had no memories of his past before, the experiments, an everything that happen since then has been changed... so he really didn't know of anything for sure (it was up to the professor to fill him in on what happened in between)

although, he did have that line "I've seen a lot of wars..." (or something like that) which makes me think he might have gotten back some of his memories (even in "the wolverine" he did have a few flashbacks of the wars) so, who knows

Last edited by Spider-Fan83; 05-24-2014 at 09:26 PM.
Spider-Fan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 10:08 PM   #32
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Here's a simple diagram of how the X-Verse timeline works:
Timeline 'A'
Origins: Wolverine Prologue > First Class > DoFP prelude stuff > Origins: Wolverine > X-Men > X2 > The Last Stand > The Wolverine

Timeline 'B'
Origins: Wolverine Prologue > First Class > DoFP > Apocalypse

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Quote:
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:11 PM   #33
coluanprime
Side-Kick

I'd say that Wolverine never gets the adamantium, but he's still a loner, perhaps something else happens that makes him lose his memory. He still joins the X - Men, this time because Xavier recruits him to deal with Magneto and his brotherhood (not including Mystique) so X1 still happens albeit slightly differently. X2-3 are gone. The Wolverine is still mostly in continuity but instead of Yukio looking all over through the canadian wilds, she just goes to the X-mansion because Wolverines a member. The events would still happen but without the Jean sub-plot.

coluanprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:25 PM   #34
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Mystique in the OT doesn't make sense if she was supposedly captured after killing Trask in the 70s and experimented on since for Sentinel research.

The mutant phenomenon being a fairly recent thing in the OT doesn't jive with the very public and televised shenanigans that occurred in the 70s.

Saitou Hajime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:32 PM   #35
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Hmm I do wonder if The Wolverine still happened now? Even though it was a stand alone, a good deal of it was Wolverine dealing with the fallout over the death of Jean.

That kinda sucks because I really liked the Wolverine.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:34 PM   #36
Masone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saitou Hajime View Post
Mystique in the OT doesn't make sense if she was supposedly captured after killing Trask in the 70s and experimented on since for Sentinel research.

The mutant phenomenon being a fairly recent thing in the OT doesn't jive with the very public and televised shenanigans that occurred in the 70s.
How does it not make sense? It's not like she was killed.

It definitely was not a recent phenomenon in the OT.

Masone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:39 PM   #37
eledoremassis02
Side-Kick

I think she escaped or maybe even Magneto breaking her out originally. Things started to really to change once Wolverine went to visit Xavier so that's when things start to change.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:10 AM   #38
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masone View Post
How does it not make sense? It's not like she was killed.

It definitely was not a recent phenomenon in the OT.
Maybe I misunderstood that part, but what I got from the movie was that she was dead in the timeline of the bad future. It doesn't make sense she could have survived the experimentation given the fate of their other subjects, and Trask made it clear that they planned to harvest every bit of Mystique they could to effectively research her ability for the Sentinels' adaptive abilities.

It was certainly treated as being a recent phenomenon in X-Men. Senate hearings on the subject appeared to be fairly new, and it was even considered to be just a potential add on to the Ellis Island summit rather than a formal part of the proceedings.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:14 AM   #39
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 12:15 AM   #40
xii22_loop
?:..:;...----==..*.,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Where are all those people from a year ago who were swearing up and down there wouldn't be any retcons, no alternate timelines, if you think they'd invalidate the movies like that you're stupid, etc? Funny! Maybe I'll look some of those posts up later.
pleaaaaase look them up.

xii22_loop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 03:37 AM   #41
Incredible Hans
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
Hmm I do wonder if The Wolverine still happened now? Even though it was a stand alone, a good deal of it was Wolverine dealing with the fallout over the death of Jean.

That kinda sucks because I really liked the Wolverine.
As someone said, there are good arguments that most events of "The Wolverine" still happened.

The timeline was altered in 1973. Wolverine saved Yashida in 1945, so this event wasn't erased. So we can assume that even in the "corrected" timeline Yashida will send Yukio to find Wolverine and bring him to Japan. Of course, it could be that in the new timeline Logan doesn't agree to come, but I don't think that's very likely.

So "The Wolverine" still happens, the only thing that is different is that Logan isn't tormented by hallucinations of Jean. Oh, and of course the post credit scene won't happen.

Incredible Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 03:40 AM   #42
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangel View Post
Yup, some things still have happen, like Rogue's white streak.
THAT.

I don't know if they will explain the changes in the new timeline. But hopefully one day they will, like explaining it using a viral site?

"Will you control that power or let it control you?" - X3
"Is the future truly set?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 03:42 AM   #43
icekid
Side-Kick

If they threw in a Yukio cameo at the end I would have been much happier knowing that still exists because a world without The Wolverine is a world I'm not ready for just yet.

icekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 03:45 AM   #44
TheJediBrah
Side-Kick

Quote:
Maybe I misunderstood that part, but what I got from the movie was that she was dead in the timeline of the bad future. It doesn't make sense she could have survived the experimentation given the fate of their other subjects, and Trask made it clear that they planned to harvest every bit of Mystique they could to effectively research her ability for the Sentinels' adaptive abilities.
Hmm, yes, you are correct: You completely misunderstood that part.

Quote:
It was certainly treated as being a recent phenomenon in X-Men. Senate hearings on the subject appeared to be fairly new, and it was even considered to be just a potential add on to the Ellis Island summit rather than a formal part of the proceedings.
No it wasn't, not even remotely.

TheJediBrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 03:54 AM   #45
Jumpman
Side-Kick

She wasn't dead when Trask captured her in the old timeline. The film never said that. Just said she was captured and experimented on.

What we can infer from this new info to line up with the way things were is that somehow she escaped and because of what happened to her, that is the reason she was the cold blooded assassin in the original trilogy.

Makes complete sense.

Jumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:09 AM   #46
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
Hmm, yes, you are correct: You completely misunderstood that part.
A rewatch should confirm it. It doesn't make sense that Mystique could've survived the experiments when every subject thus far had died from them, and it's especially damning in her case since there is a mandate to harvest every bit of her for their Sentinel research.

Quote:
No it wasn't, not even remotely.
It certainly was. To further add to the Senate hearings bit, Senator Kelly's testimony seems to imply that the mutant phenomenon is fairly recent, not something that should've been known for decades.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:14 AM   #47
Jumpman
Side-Kick

Quote:
It certainly was. To further add to the Senate hearings bit, Senator Kelly's testimony seems to imply that the mutant phenomenon is fairly recent, not something that should've been known for decades.
Again, this is a FIRST CLASS problem. That film really messed with continuity more than any film in the series.

Problem is, they really couldn't retcon that film because it was the start of the rebuilding of the franchise.

But yes, Kelly's testimony in the first film along with Jean's basically inferred that the mutant phenomenon was a fairly recent discovery to the world.

If you go by FIRST CLASS and now this film, it was almost buried but the Paris incident really changed that.

I love FIRST CLASS so much but hate it at the same time. It's the film that causes all the headaches and yet gives us a splendid young cast. Ugh.

Jumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:36 AM   #48
Incredible Hans
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman View Post
She wasn't dead when Trask captured her in the old timeline. The film never said that. Just said she was captured and experimented on.

What we can infer from this new info to line up with the way things were is that somehow she escaped and because of what happened to her, that is the reason she was the cold blooded assassin in the original trilogy.

Makes complete sense.
But does it make complete sense that Mystique never told Magneto about it? No attempt by the Brotherhood to stop the Sentinel project in the 80's oder 90's?

Incredible Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:44 AM   #49
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

I'm assuming that this film alone pretty much rectonned (unofficially) "X-Men Origins" entirely from the franchise.

I mean Wolverine was supposed to be locked up in some prison with Victor during near the end of the Vietnam war, with Stryker recruiting him then...but that wasn't the case at all. Wolverine was in New York, with Victor nowhere to be around him and they only used footage of Stryker from X2.

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:58 AM   #50
TheJediBrah
Side-Kick

Quote:
A rewatch should confirm it. It doesn't make sense that Mystique could've survived the experiments when every subject thus far had died from them, and it's especially damning in her case since there is a mandate to harvest every bit of her for their Sentinel research.
lol wut? She was running around doing stuff in X-Men 1, X2, X-Men 3. She obviously survived.

Quote:
Nope. Out of interest, any quotes in particular that make you think that? The last 30 years would be quite "recent" in my opinion anyway.

TheJediBrah is offline   Reply With Quote