The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 05-25-2014, 08:32 AM   #76
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Default Re: How Much Was REALLY Retconned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
I'm going to repeat what I've said several times now: according to everything I have been able to find, NOTHING has been retconned, erased, or ignored because the timeline has been split Zelda-style, with Logan being the link (no pun intended) between the two branches since he has experienced both.
The other non-FC films are only Important as far as they lead to characters
In Post apocalypic future and wolverine going on time travel mission.
Wolverine at end of DOFP wakes up In future that Is one based on his actions
In 1973. Xavier at end of DOFP Is older version of one wolverine helped to guide In DOFP 1973 parts.

Inless they revisit the future seen In end of DOFP the non-FC films aren't really Important.Hugh Jackman Is still playing wolverine but that's about all for now that Is connected to non-FC films going forward with Apocalypse and beyond.And Jackman may only be playing the wolverine In between 1973 and 2023 from now on.

Now they may move certain things somewhat similar to past films but other films are wiped out.

This Is a FC+Hugh jackman franchise now.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:35 AM   #77
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Yes, there is no split, it's been overwritten.

All the other films (and the future part of DoFP) lead up to the time travel which then rewrites all the other films and that dystopian future.
Your right.Going forward only FC,the 1973 parts of DOFP,the new 2023 ending
of DOFP,and post credit scene of DOFP "happened" with maybe the pre 1973 parts of Origins and The wolverine as well.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:36 AM   #78
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Everything I'm finding indicates a Zelda-style timeline split with two seperate but co-existing branches.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:42 AM   #79
RaZaTrOn
Side-Kick

Any history pre-70s that we see in the original trilogy or Wolverine films remains intact. Everything after DOFP has now changed. It's referenced plain and simple by Logan in the future when he asks the Professor to explain what has happened post 1973 because the history he remembers (Original Trilogy/Wolverine films/DOFP Future) isn't correct.

RaZaTrOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:21 AM   #80
DACrowe
Side-Kick

This thread is full of:

Full version:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:55 AM   #81
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saitou Hajime View Post
My point was that young Magneto was portrayed as being the type to carry out his campaign with an aggression and overtness that should've made mutant terrorism far more acknowledged by the time of OT's near future, but Kelly still talked about is as more of a possibility.
Magneto was imprisoned and Cuba's incident was swept under the rug, not as a mutant issue, but as the Cuban Missile Crisis. No one knows what happened, but Magneto was recruiting people at the end of FC, and he probably wasn't able to enact his plan because he was captured. Think about how long it took him to enact his revenge on Shaw. It was careful planning when he was eliminating the former soldiers.

Quote:
And the paris and DC incidents showed that you can't sweep everything under the rug like they did the Cuban incident.
The Paris and DC incidents happen due to Logan's interference in the timeline, which speed up Trask's agenda for the Sentinel Program.

Quote:
The incidents in DOFP wasn't part of the OT timeline, but the ones in FC should still be.
They are, it's just a government coverup that is secured at the highest level. Plus, it's always shown in different films that the current President has no knowledge of every single secret and coverup, so this is likely the case. The mutant problem doesn't become an immediate threat because the most aggressive mutant is captured.

Quote:
But she couldn't have lived through the experiments, hence she couldn't have been in the OT, which is the error. The extent of the experimentation to be conducted on her to glean the knowledge they needed in order to develop the Sentinels' adaptive abilities would've killed her.
She kills Trask and is then captured. It's likely the people who take over used different methods to extract what they needed from her, such as DNA and kept her alive because killing her means they can't continue research. Just because Trask wanted to dissect her like he did other mutants, doesn't mean the others who took over would do the same. This allows her to escape. It took 50 years for the Sentinel Program to launch, which was most likely put in motion after X3 happens.

Quote:
For the adaptive Sentinels to have come into existence, Mystique couldn't have survived the experiments. Trask specifically said that a few drops of blood wouldn't be sufficient to gain the knowledge they required, they needed to harvest every last scrap of her genetic material. That and the fact that nobody DOES survive the experiments suggests that she doesn't.
People in POW camps have survived/escaped when others haven't in real life. People survived Nazi prison camps while others didn't, does that mean a scenario where someone did survive couldn't have ever happened?

Quote:
It wasn't spelled out, but the inference was clear. Well, Jean sorta spells it out when she said they said they were just NOW seeing the BEGINNINGS of mutancy.
Kept hidden.

Quote:
Not after the Paris and DC incidents.
Which are a result of Logan's interference.

Quote:
Now you're just quibbling. They dropped a stadium on the front lawn and dragged the presidential bunker in the surface, all in live television
They? Only one man did that, and he was shown being taken down by his own kind on live television.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:57 AM   #82
itsmejoee
New User - Level 0

I'm unaware if this has been answered, so please let me know what's already been said. do Charles, Magneto, Mystique, Beast... etc, still remember Logan at the end of the film? when Logan wakes up in 2016(have we all agreed that's the date he wakes up at the mansion?), Charles says something along the lines of "welcome back." so, are we to assume the first class cast are now aware of wolverine going into apocalypse and the rumored 80s storyline?

itsmejoee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:03 AM   #83
Jumpman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
Everything I'm finding indicates a Zelda-style timeline split with two seperate but co-existing branches.
Well, I wouldn't call it split. We've witnessed one. And now we're about to embark on another. Because, remember, the new future is a direct result of everything that happens after the DC incident of 1973.

So from here on out, what ever films they do in the past has to adhere to the new future we witnessed.

Jumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:16 AM   #84
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

We know Iceman,Rogue,Kitty,and Colossus age has to be consent with the
way they were In trilogy since they showed up at end.This means they won't
be In Apocalypse.

Beast won't die as he did In Sentinles timeline.

Storm
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Jean,and Cyclops
are all alive In 2023 as Is Xavier.

None of them can die In films set prior to ending of DOFP wolverine

Since Magneto and Mystique weren't in future there future is completly unknown.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:37 PM   #85
TheJediBrah
Side-Kick

Quote:
But she couldn't have lived through the experiments, hence she couldn't have been in the OT, which is the error. The extent of the experimentation to be conducted on her to glean the knowledge they needed in order to develop the Sentinels' adaptive abilities would've killed her.
Uh, no. Why would you think that?

Quote:
For the adaptive Sentinels to have come into existence, Mystique couldn't have survived the experiments. Trask specifically said that a few drops of blood wouldn't be sufficient to gain the knowledge they required, they needed to harvest every last scrap of her genetic material.
No, he mentioned several materials they would need, all of which could be harvested without killing her. And obviously he would want to keep her alive as long as possible. And regardless of all that, just because Trask rattled off that list of what he thought he needed in no way means he did need all that to complete the sentinels.

Quote:
That and the fact that nobody DOES survive the experiments suggests that she doesn't.
lol wut? they were completely different experiments, and it doesn't suggest anything even remotely of the sort.

That's like saying that Wolverine going back in time is a continuity error because no one did it before, therefore it suggests that he can't. Baffling logic.

Quote:
It wasn't spelled out, but the inference was clear. Well, Jean sorta spells it out when she said they said they were just NOW seeing the BEGINNINGS of mutancy.
30 years is pretty recent. The fact that you are calling out a continuity error for something that you happened to infer that one scene seemed to imply and all based on false assumptions on your part is very amusing.

Quote:
Not after the Paris and DC incidents.
Which. Didn't. Happen. lol are you even paying attention to the movies

Quote:
Now you're just quibbling. They dropped a stadium on the front lawn and dragged the presidential bunker in the surface, all in live television
You have to be trolling now

TheJediBrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:36 PM   #86
nogster
Side-Kick

Am I missing something... Because there is a paradox at the very beginning of the story, where it is said that Mystique was captured, tortured and then killed back in the 70's.
If that is the case, X1, X2, X3 could not have happened, even though the film shows flashbacks of them, meaning they did happen. I am confused?

Seems like a pretty big screw up to me, but maybe I am missing something?

nogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:39 PM   #87
Legion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogster View Post
Am I missing something... Because there is a paradox at the very beginning of the story, where it is said that Mystique was captured, tortured and then killed back in the 70's.
If that is the case, X1, X2, X3 could not have happened, even though the film shows flashbacks of them, meaning they did happen. I am confused?

Seems like a pretty big screw up to me, but I haven't seen this mentioned around here, so maybe I am missing something?
They never said she was killed. They said that was the first time that she killed and that she was captured, tortured, and experimented on.

Logan later added that it wouldn't be the last time she killed.

Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:04 PM   #88
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

So, when they make The Wolverine 2 w/Yukio, it will take place between the end of The Wolverine with Logan and Yukio on the plane, and, Logan arriving at the airport..?

I assume it won't be effected by the new timeline, but will still stem from the old; the one where Logan kills Jean in X3?

Old 05-25-2014, 06:16 PM   #89
DorneyDave
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golgo-13 View Post
So, when they make The Wolverine 2 w/Yukio, it will take place between the end of The Wolverine with Logan and Yukio on the plane, and, Logan arriving at the airport..?

I assume it won't be effected by the new timeline, but will still stem from the old; the one where Logan kills Jean in X3?
I really don't think they'll have a movie where that old timeline still has effects.

It would be way too confusing for an audience.

DorneyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:18 PM   #90
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Right before the movie starts they're gonna have a timeline pop up indicating where this movie takes place in respect to the others.

Spill

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:19 PM   #91
BlackFox
Almost ninja

They could set it after 2023 with the new timeline with everyone back.

(X-Men-Apocalypse:Brace yourselves, WAR is coming)
BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:20 PM   #92
DorneyDave
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
Right before the movie starts they're gonna have a timeline pop up indicating where this movie takes place in respect to the others.
If they start having to do that, that's terrible.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:20 PM   #93
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorneyDave View Post
I really don't think they'll have a movie where that old timeline still has effects.

It would be way too confusing for an audience.
That's what i would think too. But hasn't the Wolverine 2 already been green lit? I thought the reason there was a 2 year gap between the end of the Wolverine and Logan at the airport is so that they could make a sequel to that movie without worrying about the events of DOFP effecting it...

Old 05-25-2014, 06:21 PM   #94
DorneyDave
Side-Kick

I bet Wolverine 2, if it even gets made now, will just be set in the new timeline.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:23 PM   #95
eledoremassis02
Side-Kick

I found this, not sure if it's been posted

Old 05-25-2014, 06:27 PM   #96
DorneyDave
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by eledoremassis02 View Post
I found this, not sure if it's been posted
Yeah I think all the films are just going to stick to the very left now. It makes most sense, which is why Wolverine 2 will be very complicated if they continue that story.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:36 PM   #97
Heretic
Side-Kick

The only thing I dont get about that graph is...there is NO future where Mystique kills Trask at the White House. Why is that listed??? It didn't happen in the original timeline, and it didnt happen in the new timeline. It didn't happen.

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:36 PM   #98
Spiderine
Business as Usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
Which is why I said in the new timeline that was created - everything did happen otherwise this movie wouldn't exist. Once Wolvie went back and changed things that caused a new timeline to be created, one where the original set of movies probably never happened.
Your absolutely right. They actually rebooted this franchise without rebooting it if you know what I mean. Wipe the slate clean and move on from the end of DOFP. And they did it using a classic storyline from the comics. Brilliant plan if you ask me.

Spiderine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:43 PM   #99
Heretic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderine View Post
Your absolutely right. They actually rebooted this franchise without rebooting it if you know what I mean. Wipe the slate clean and move on from the end of DOFP. And they did it using a classic storyline from the comics. Brilliant plan if you ask me.
Except...not to beat a dead horse...they aren't starting clean. They locked themselves into a 2023 that they now must follow. Cyclops and Phoenix fall in love and are still alive...no matter what any enemy does to them. Rogue must somehow get that white streak. Beast is not going to be killed by any enemy that they face. Etc etc etc etc. It was an unbelievably stupid move in an otherwise great concept.

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:55 PM   #100
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
Except...not to beat a dead horse...they aren't starting clean. They locked themselves into a 2023 that they now must follow. Cyclops and Phoenix fall in love and are still alive...no matter what any enemy does to them. Rogue must somehow get that white streak. Beast is not going to be killed by any enemy that they face. Etc etc etc etc. It was an unbelievably stupid move in an otherwise great concept.
Well, in fairness, they are never going to kill off Cyclops, Jean, Storm or Beast in the next movies anyway. They learned from X3 that bumping off key characters never goes down too well.