The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

View Poll Results: What actor did your favorite portrayal of Batman?
Adam West 1 2.78%
Michael Keaton 17 47.22%
Val Kilmer 0 0%
George Clooney 1 2.78%
Christian Bale 17 47.22%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-29-2014, 08:08 PM   #26
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.

Default Re: Favorite Batman portrayal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountOrlok View Post

Besides, the Batman movie was in development hell for ~10 years.
^That's exactly what I referring to in my earlier post when I said I think West's version hindered the first Burton film. It was in development hell because (I'm sure) the studios didn't want to release a 60s version of the film. The general view of Batman in everyone's mind was of that cheesy TV show... they had to find a way to make the movie work for the modern era. I think that's why one of many reasons why it took so long to get it done.

Ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:38 AM   #27
Doc Ock
1951-2014

Michael Keaton woo!

Old 06-01-2014, 03:29 AM   #28
RavenAmorth07

Hands down Bale for me.

Clooney was by far the worst in my opinion.

Big question is how will Affleck do? He can be pretty dark in movies such as the town and I think his physic is right, also his age if Nightwing features.

RavenAmorth07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:34 AM   #29
CountOrlok
Banned User

George Clooney doesn't deserve the hate IMO.

CountOrlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:21 AM   #30
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
George Clooney doesn't deserve the hate.
Yes, he does.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Quote:
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:05 PM   #31
CountOrlok
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
Yes, he does.
Nothing wrong with his performance at all, he was the grounded centre of that movie which made it work. Way better than Bale's Batman with his silly smoker's voice and Patrick Bateman/fake-emoting Bruce Wayne (IMO).

Old 06-01-2014, 12:29 PM   #32
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
Yes, he does.
Co-signed. Even Clooney is often saying he destroyed Batman; http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...sting-20130927

Just saying it like it is.

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 06-01-2014 at 12:34 PM.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:32 PM   #33
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

Clooney was terrible as well as other cast in the film. He doesn't even bother change his voice when he's in the batsuit. The only best performance from the film is Michael Gough.

Forever cast was much better here.

Two-Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:35 PM   #34
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Ironic that Gough gave his best Alfred performance in the worst Batman movie.

- The Joker
Old 06-01-2014, 12:43 PM   #35
CountOrlok
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Co-signed. Even Clooney is often saying he destroyed Batman; http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...sting-20130927

Just saying it like it is.
George Clooney is entitled to his opinion. Doesn't mean it's true, though. Besides, he didn't destroy Batman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Face View Post
Clooney was terrible as well as other cast in the film. He doesn't even bother change his voice when he's in the batsuit.
Neither did Adam West or the 40s serial Batmans but no one complains about them.

Quote:
Forever cast was much better here.
Kilmer's Bruce Wayne was a little too stiff. Clooney's BW was better.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:47 PM   #36
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
George Clooney is entitled to his opinion. Doesn't mean it's true, though.
Since he played the role he'd know better than most.

Quote:
Besides, he didn't destroy Batman.
You're entitled to your opinion. Doesn't mean it's true, though.

- The Joker
Old 06-01-2014, 12:59 PM   #37
CountOrlok
Banned User

How did he "destroy Batman"? Doesn't make sense to me.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:10 PM   #38
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

Quote:
Neither did Adam West or the 40s serial Batmans but no one complains about them. Kilmer's Bruce Wayne was a little too stiff. Clooney's BW was better.
Batman & Robin was a sequel to Forever right? Batman changes his voice in Forever but why not in B&R? West Batman wasn't in continuity with Schumacher films so I didn't expect him to. Keaton and Kilmer did why not Clooney? He seemed too relaxed in the role not do it.

Last edited by Two-Face; 06-01-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Two-Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:40 PM   #39
CountOrlok
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Face View Post
Batman & Robin was a sequel to Forever right? Batman changes his voice in Forever but why not in B&R? West Batman wasn't in continuity with Schumacher films so I didn't expect him to. Keaton and Kilmer did why not Clooney? He seemed too relaxed in the role not do it.
Because it continues with BW's/Batman's arc throughout the movies. At the end of Batman Forever, Kilmer says "I'm both Bruce Wayne and Batman". He is finally at peace with himself, he no longer has that darker alternate personality. So it makes sense he doesn't change his voice.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:44 PM   #40
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
How did he "destroy Batman"? Doesn't make sense to me.
It was a horrible goofy one note performance. There's no passion in his performance, he delivers all his dialogue in a monotone way. Sometimes it's even like he's mocking the movie he's in. Like when Barbara bouncily introduces herself as Batgirl, he responds, "That's not awfully PC. What about Batperson or Batwoman?" His subtext is basically "How dumb is it that we wear these costumes and use these names?"

I like Clooney as an actor, but this was a dire performance.

Quote:
Because it continues with BW's/Batman's arc throughout the movies. At the end of Batman Forever, Kilmer says "I'm both Bruce Wayne and Batman". He is finally at peace with himself, he no longer has that darker alternate personality. So it makes sense he doesn't change his voice.
Then why didn't he say those lines in his Bruce Wayne voice if that was the case?

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 06-01-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:09 PM   #41
CountOrlok
Banned User

Quote:
It was a horrible goofy one note performance. There's no passion in his performance, he delivers all his dialogue in a monotone way. Sometimes it's even like he's mocking the movie he's in. Like when Barbara bouncily introduces herself as Batgirl, he responds, "That's not awfully PC. What about Batperson or Batwoman?" His subtext is basically "How dumb is it that we wear these costumes and use these names?"

I like Clooney as an actor, but this was a dire performance.
His Batman had a dry sense of humour, that's why. "You break it, you buy it."

What about when he comforts the dying Alfred or when he convinces Mr Freeze to give him the cure? Great performances.

Quote:
Then why didn't he say those lines in his Bruce Wayne voice if that was the case?
Like the giant bat coming towards him, that scene was all in Nygma's mind. Like when Scarecrow was affected by the fear toxin in Batman Begins.

Batman reaches out to Edward. Ed jerks in fear, looks up. EDWARD'S POV - Coming towards him, not Batman, but a hideous demonic giant bat.

http://www.screenwritersutopia.com/s...media/727.html

Old 06-01-2014, 02:14 PM   #42
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
His Batman had a dry sense of humour, that's why. "You break it, you buy it."
You call it a dry sense of humor, I call it horrible cheese.

Quote:
What about when he comforts the dying Alfred or when he convinces Mr Freeze to give him the cure? Great performances.
Even in those scenes he's weak. Gough carries the former, and the latter was nothing special at all. He's so monotone and dull in it. Arnie's Freeze shows more acting range with the relief his wife is alive lol.

Quote:
Like the giant bat coming towards him, that scene was all in Nygma's mind.
Batman reaches out to Edward. Ed jerks in fear, looks up. EDWARD'S POV - Coming towards him, not Batman, but a hideous demonic giant bat.

http://www.screenwritersutopia.com/s...media/727.html
That outdated script again.

Even if I humor this one, that doesn't say the whole scene was in his mind. Just the part where Edward imagines Batman looking like a giant bat when he comes towards him afterward which is why he flips out. Which we actually see in the movie. Him imagining Batman as a bat when he moves towards him after his little speech which he says in the Batman voice. That part was real.

Lol you don't even realize that if it was imaginary then it's just further invalidating your argument about the no voice changing in B&R.

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 06-01-2014 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:31 PM   #43
CountOrlok
Banned User

Quote:

Even if I humor this one, that doesn't say the whole scene was in his mind. Just the part where Edward imagines Batman looking like a giant bat when he comes towards him afterward which is why he flips out. Which we actually see in the movie. Him imagining Batman as a bat when he moves towards him after his little speech which he says in the Batman voice. That part was real.
Not by the way the shots are framed and edited. You can clearly tell, that what we are seeing is from Edward's POV.

Quote:
Lol you don't even realize that if it was imaginary then it's just further invalidating your argument about the no voice changing in B&R.
No, I'm saying it was just like the scene in Batman Begins where Scarecrow was infected with the fear toxin. He saw Batman as a hideous creature with a strange distorted voice. Doesn't invalidate everything Batman said during that scene.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:39 PM   #44
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Not by the way the shots are framed and edited. You can clearly tell, that what we are seeing is from Edward's POV.
So what if the shots are from Edward's P.O.V.? That doesn't imply he's hallucinating it. The only part that is an obvious hallucination is when Batman moves towards him after his little speech and he imagines him as a bat flapping towards him.

That's it. Obvious implication of hallucination. The rest is real. You thinking he was imagining it is just your own unfounded assumption. Did anyone else here ever get the impression Nygma was imagining Batman talking in the same Batman voice we heard for the whole movie?

Quote:
No, I'm saying it was just like the scene in Batman Begins where Scarecrow was infected with the fear toxin. He saw Batman as a hideous creature with a strange distorted voice. Doesn't invalidate everything Batman said during that scene.
Apples and oranges. There was a blatant distinction between Batman's voice and the demonic Batman's voice Crane heard.

In Nygma's case he's just seeing regular Batman we've been seeing for the whole movie.

- The Joker
Old 06-01-2014, 02:52 PM   #45
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.

Quote:
No, no... we get it. The problem is, no one wants to see a non-conflicted Batman. A healed, un-emotionally scarred Batman is boring. Dull. His pain drives him, and gives him strength in some ways. A happy Batman has nothing going on other than surface level. There was so much more that could've been discovered by delving into the Bruce Wayne/Batman persona. What Batman Forever did was resolve the conflict of his identities (or tried to do) but that should not have also resolved his anguish over the death of his parents. That's something he never comes to terms with... otherwise I don't think he'd keep on being Batman. Clooney was 100% flaccid in the role. His Bruce Wayne was annoying and daft, and his Batman (especially the dialogue) was damnable.

Ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:55 PM   #46
CountOrlok
Banned User

Even if it was the case, the actual dialogue was "You see I'm both Bruce Wayne and Batman. Not because I have to be, NOW because I choose to be."

"NOW"

That may have signaled the point where he has decided to be both Bruce Wayne AND Batman.

It's all just speculation, anyway. You can read deep into possible intentions for the scene.

Like another theory that Batman passed on his psychosis to Edward Nygma, which is why he saw the giant bat and went insane. But I won't even bother trying to argue that one, as it's just an interesting way to look at it.

That's why we are fans. We discuss theories and interpretations of the movies.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:16 PM   #47
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
George Clooney didn't destroy Batman.
Yes, he did. By his own admission, he did anything and everything he possibly could to take a figurative piss on the character, including playing the character flamboyantly over-the-top and baseline homosexual.

Quote:
Kilmer's Bruce Wayne was a little too stiff. Clooney's BW was better.
In the words of Malcolm Reynolds, "Well, my days of taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle."

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Quote:
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
Old 06-01-2014, 03:17 PM   #48
Ultron-5
The One.

Am I the only one who thought Val Kilmer was a good Batman?

Ultron-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:20 PM   #49
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultron-5 View Post
Am I the only one who thought Val Kilmer was a good Batman?
No, you're not. Of the Burton/Shumacher Batmen, Kilmer delivers my favorite performance both in and out of the suit. He also plays the character in such a way so that you wholeheartedly believe that he's playing the same character that Keaton did (something that CANNOT be said of Clooney, who was the biggest disgrace to the character I've ever seen).

Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-01-2014, 08:26 PM   #50
Doc Ock
1951-2014

I thought Kilmer was great, really underrated. After Keaton he is probably my second favorite Live-action Batman. His Bruce Wayne is my favorite.