The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Wonder Woman > Wonder Woman

Old 01-21-2015, 10:02 AM   #1
harryoscop
I'm The Spectacular

Default Wonder Woman/Diana's powers

What powers do you think she'll have? how strong do you want her to be? do you think they'll strip her flight abilities? (they better not! ) I said before and I'll say it again, I want her to be able to go toe-to-toe with Superman.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:01 PM   #2
HaplessHenchman
Goon for hire

Default Re: Wonder Woman/Diana's powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryoscop View Post
What powers do you think she'll have? how strong do you want her to be? do you think they'll strip her flight abilities? (they better not! ) I said before and I'll say it again, I want her to be able to go toe-to-toe with Superman.
I agree. My one fear in regards to the BM vs SM movie, and I guess the DCCU in general, is that WW will be depowered and not be presented in all her glory.

HaplessHenchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:58 PM   #3
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

Agree, but the only power I'm worried about them actually ditching is flight, just because her history with it in the comics has been very on/off. And I really want her to have it.

flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:06 PM   #4
haephestus
Side-Kick

I think that Wonder Woman will be relatively de-powered and that they may remove her ability to fly.

I hope that she remains super-strong, super-durable or invulnerable to almost all physical harm, super-quick, heightened reflexes and senses, extreme endurance, heightended healing ability (if she is able to be injured), skillful, knowledgeable and experienced in a wide range of fighting techniques, both with and without weapons, knowledgeable and experienced in deflecting magical attacks and in dealing with magical artifacts and weaponry, intelligent, rational and most importantly of all compassionate.

They can remove other elements of Wonder Woman's powers, including her flight, her invulnerability or whatever else, but if her compassionate nature remains then I'll be happy. Wonder Woman is not, as unfortunately regularly depicted, a one-dimensional, arrogant, blood-thirsty, trigger happy warrior woman. I think that her desire to extend an open hand in peace before she raises a fist to strike in anger is one of her key, if not most important, "powers".

haephestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:11 PM   #5
John-An
WORLD'S GIRL FINEST!

basically the ones, even the power level, she has in the New 52.

Flight, superstrenght (not in Superman's level but close), stamina, superhuman speed and reflexes and magical weapons (lasso, sword, bracelet)

Last edited by John-An; 03-07-2015 at 05:19 PM.
John-An is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:37 PM   #6
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

I'd honestly rather no unassisted flight myself. Stick to strength, durability and endurance as far as powers go, maybe some heightened senses.

Snow Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 02:54 AM   #7
MrsKent26
Whatever.

I hope she keeps all her most common powers. Her strength levels are inconsistently portrayed (as is the case with most long-running comic characters), but I imagine her to be second-tier in the power structure (beneath only the most powerful characters like Superman, Darkseid, etc).

I hope they keep her flight, but wouldn't throw a fit if they didn't. She can still fight impressively on the ground.

I hope they don't just make her Foara: The Redux. That's why I would prefer unique weapons be incorporated into her arsenal. Her lasso could be jazzed up nicely, Snyder-style. I also like the Azzarello invention (I believe he was the first to do this, but correct me if I'm mistaken) of having her other weapons materialize magically from her bracelets. It eliminates the need for her to be laden with them when not fighting and would also look impressive (and unique) if stylized on screen.

Also, this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by haephestus View Post

They can remove other elements of Wonder Woman's powers, including her flight, her invulnerability or whatever else, but if her compassionate nature remains then I'll be happy. Wonder Woman is not, as unfortunately regularly depicted, a one-dimensional, arrogant, blood-thirsty, trigger happy warrior woman. I think that her desire to extend an open hand in peace before she raises a fist to strike in anger is one of her key, if not most important, "powers".
WW has been victim of some terrible writing over the years. I know people are all hyped up about a beautiful woman going badass on the big screen, but for me, that is secondary. It's not that I don't care about the visuals or fights, I just really want to see her have something that I find lacking fairly often with her character: a PERSONALITY. It seems that "iconic" has become an actual personality trait to some people because that's the adjective I hear associated with her constantly without any elaboration on what that truly means. "Icon" isn't anything on screen. She has to be somebody. She needs a personality, hopes, motivations, and flaws. I realize this might be minimal in BvsS depending on the extent of her role, but it must be included in the solo.

\S/T*
MrsKent26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:23 AM   #8
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Like many great and long lasting characters in pop culture Wonder Woman has a nice big helping of paradox. She is indeed the Amazon's Ambassador of Peace, but she is also it's greatest Mistress of War. The question when if comes to characterization is how do you present her as a character that OWNS her contradictions in some way. How does the Amazon culture, a warrior culture, also be one that espouses peace and enlightenment? Is it a case of a culture that uses the honing of warrior skills, martial arts if you will, as a tool of self actualization? That they have at their core a philosophy of complimentary opposites? These are the sort of questions I would be asking myself if I were writing stories for Wonder Woman in this modern age.

Hell yes I expect to see the tough minded Warrior Princess that is fierce, skilled and determined in combat, especially against the forces of willful darkness, chaos and injustice in the world, even to the point of using deadly force. Let us remember that she would have mores and ethics that might well be very old. An ancient warriors ethic that prizes honor and that while it is not without holding mercy as an ideal, it may be looked upon by some modern people as perhaps a little too black and white.

But she is also the Daughter of Wisdom and of Peace. The advocate of negotiation first and conflict second. Compassion for all is one of her guiding principals. She sees, if it's there, the validity of both sides of any argument. She controls the Lasso of Truth, and it is an ideal she is always sensitive to, and will always seek out. She will always side with the powerless against the powerful.

For myself I see her as a modern day Angel With A Flaming Sword. The power of the divine that gets to work in the world of mortals dispensing both Justice and wisdom.

Now to be all this, all things to all people does make for a tricky writing assignment. It's a little too perfect, and thus I think that too often we get one over the other. I actually disagree that we have only gotten a Xena lite version of her recently. True, in some of the wider seen media portrayals like some games or the atrocious JUSTICE LEAGUE WAR DTV that has been the case, but more often than not I think writers have tried to strike that balance and get to that sweet spot, even in stories or runs of the comic book I don't like I would say that there is an attempt at least to make her well rounded but with a distinct voice. Actually for myself I have felt for some time that WW's greatest defining feature should be... Competence. It sounds like a small issue, especially for a super hero, I mean we expect them to be competent, but for Diana, a spiritual Daughter of Athena, the wisdom, the "competence" of knowing what side of herself to draw on at any given time is to me a key characteristic so that she never appears to veer too far in any one direction. That can also be a key way she can inspire others as well, as an advocate of Wisdom, Truth and Self Discipline. That's my view anyway.

Oh... I also REALLY dislike the weapons in bracelets thing. Sorry folks. I want old school fantasy warrior stuff.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
KRYPTON INC. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:03 PM   #9
John-An
WORLD'S GIRL FINEST!

For all guys that think Wonder Woman is invulnerable. Think again. She's not. not even in the new 52 god of war character. That's the point of the bracelets. She would have resistance but not at the point of invulnerabilty as Supes.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:14 PM   #10
Loki882
Side-Kick

I'd prefer her to be near-Superman levels. In the Superman/Wonder Woman comic book, she was able to take on Zod and Faora as more or less an equal, and it was great. Maybe not quite on his level (I always like the idea of him being the more powerful of the two from a purely physical level, but she's the more skilled/precise one which kind of balances it out). She should have flight. Bullets and small explosives do next to nothing, maybe like a paper-cut. Higher-level weaponry might be able to make her bleed, stagger her for awhile. And her fighting style should be more "technical" than Superman's as she has had a lifetime of training while he's had none.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:46 PM   #11
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

Give the woman flight! She should be nearly as strong as Supes but whatever she lacks in power she makes up for in skill.

Primal Slayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:49 PM   #12
John-An
WORLD'S GIRL FINEST!

About the comicbook fight of Wondy vs kryptonians it was because Faora wasn't full powered and the magic she has, not to mention experience to her powers and the enviroment IMO. and you know because Wondy needed to win...

Old 02-23-2015, 05:51 PM   #13
John-An
WORLD'S GIRL FINEST!

normal bullets may not able to do much harm, but it's part of the thing.. to use her bracelets.

and I'm all for her being able to fly, althought not at the same speed than Supes.. more like fast floating.

I wouldn't be mad if she wasn't able to fly tho.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:55 PM   #14
Loki882
Side-Kick

Figure out some other reason for her to use the bracelets, be creative writers.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:55 PM   #15
John-An
WORLD'S GIRL FINEST!

Superman's heat vision

Old 02-23-2015, 06:33 PM   #16
haephestus
Side-Kick

I don't think Wonder Woman needs to be completely invulnerable.

As for "bullets and bracelets", I wouldn't mind if being hit by a bullet for Diana is like being hit with a strong punch by an ordinary person. It's obviously something that you would avoid if possible, so Diana uses her bracelets to do so. But, she wouldn't die from a bullet "wound" and at best it would simply bruise her as opposed to penetrating her skin. I think her skin could have a degree of vulnerability to "sharp" weapons, like swords (preferably of the magical variety).

I strongly agree with the comments that if Wonder Woman is de-powered in comparison to Superman, then she more than makes up for any missing brute strength/super-powers with her skill levels, training and experience in combat. Sure, Superman may have been training since the events of MOS, but immortal or not, Diana would have been trained as an Amazon warrior since childhood, so she should have an advantage in that respect.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:01 PM   #17
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Yeah, my own view has always been that while in pure raw speed, strength and toughness that Superman is a few levels above Diana, she has other aspects that make her formidable and able to also operate alongside him and the rest of the DCU. She is skilled, being trained in combat arts since childhood, has access to both the magical weapons (which would more than even the odds against a Kryptonians) and counsel of the gods, not to mention she could conceivably call down a supernatural army of her sisters at any moment (much as Thor and Aquaman could with the forces of Asgard and ATLANTIS).

Even if she's not at Supermna/Capt. Marvel/ Darksied levels of strength... She's still plenty powerful, easily throwing a tank around like Hulk did in the Ang Lee film and able to punch through concrete like it's styrofoam. Is she Flash level in speed? No. But if you were an enemy with a machine gun you'd have a hell of a time trying to get a bead on her even at close range, and by the time you did she'd be right on top of you.

Do I think she has to be Faora redux? No. But she would still be a sight to see on the battlefield, a "Wonder" if you will.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:09 PM   #18
queendarkness12
The Queenmaker

Since, Wonder Woman has the demigod origin, will god mode be introduced or not?

queendarkness12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:55 PM   #19
haephestus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendarkness12 View Post
Since, Wonder Woman has the demigod origin, will god mode be introduced or not?
Who knows. We know very little about this version of Wonder Woman and the references to her being a demi-goddess could potentially have been incorrect (although I suspect that they will stick to the New52 origin).

From the minimal on-set spy shots, if Wonder Woman can access "god mode", then it has nothing to do with her bracelets since she was seen in civilain attire without the bracelets. And the bracelets aren't very "bracelet-like" in the new costume as they appear to be relatively simple leather wraps with some metal embellishment.

I think the trouble with "god mode" is having a credible reason for why Wonder Woman simply doesn't engage in "god mode" for each and every battle where innocent lives are at risk. I'm not sure I want to see a Wonder Woman who must battle her "dark side" when using "god mode". While the Amazonian berserker rage goes back to some of the earlier comics (to my knowledge), I'm not sure how well its fits my personal vision of the character of "Wonder Woman". I don't think she has to be like Bruce Banner/The Hulk who is "always angry" and can unleash that anger in "god mode" if and when she chooses.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:21 PM   #20
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

If in a later film they want to go with her having "Olympian" level powers unleashed inside of her for some sequence by Zeus I could be down with that, but... Not a fan of the New 52 version of "God Mode".

Old 03-07-2015, 06:53 PM   #21
John-An
WORLD'S GIRL FINEST!

Maybe like she says the phrase of "Hera give me strenght", and then she increases her power level (depending on the situation from little increase or as a last ressort increasing a great amount) but without her knowing it. That would be some kind of double homage to canon (Pre New 52 and New 52 to an extent) and to the JLA series that when she did said the phrase she incremented her strenght to overcome a giant robot, if I remember correctly.

Last edited by John-An; 03-07-2015 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:28 PM   #22
The Sage
Team Machine on the move
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-An View Post
Maybe like she says the phrase of "Hera give me strenght", and then she increases her power level (depending on the situation from little increase or as a last ressort increasing a great amount) but without her knowing it. That would be some kind of double homage to canon (Pre New 52 and New 52 to an extent) and to the JLA series that when she did said the phrase she incremented her strenght to overcome a giant robot, if I remember correctly.
If Diana's father is Zeus as rumored, I'm pretty sure "Hera give me strength" will be the last thing on her lips.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:59 PM   #23
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

What if... The secret is so well kept that it doesn't come out until the end of her first film? What if Hera IS an ally and patron of not only the Amazons, but of Hippolyta and Diana? What happens then? I think that's a more interesting take that simply going the jilted wife route immediately. It could even figure into Diana's powers later on. Perhaps it's not just Zeus' blood which gives Diana her great power, power greater even than her half brother Hercules... Mayhaps the power of the female Olympians figures into things as well?

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:45 PM   #24
John-An
WORLD'S GIRL FINEST!

^^ That!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
If Diana's father is Zeus as rumored, I'm pretty sure "Hera give me strength" will be the last thing on her lips.
The thing is.. will they know the true besides Zeus and Hyppolita?

Last edited by John-An; 03-08-2015 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:10 PM   #25
Loki882
Side-Kick

The best way to use "god mode" without it being OP would probably be to give it a time-limit. She can only use it for so long before she starts to lose control and become dangerous. It has nothing to do with her being naturally violent or anything. It's just that so much power can only be contained/controlled for so long, especially for someone who isn't a full-god and doesn't use it all that much (only for the most dire of situations).