The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 06-02-2014, 03:47 PM   #126
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Default Re: All Things Wonder Woman: An Open Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye1 View Post
I don't buy that the others cannot find a way or inspire like SM. In saying that I don't believe there will be a clear leader. It will depend on the opponent and circumstances. So we have different leaders for different movies.
Well you can look at stories like Kingdom Come then. The Trinity are all divided over the prison, Wonder Woman believes they should be stopped, lethal force used. Batman the firm opposite, because humanity is trying to kill the League as led by Wonder Woman.

Superman is caught in the middle. He can't choose between his life as a superhero or a human. He resigns himself to death to save everyone, but inspires Billy Batson to make the call.

Superman should lead always primus inter pares, if you thought I meant any different.

Quote:
Nothing in MoS suggests to me he is ready yet. Maybe in the second JL movie.
What in Man of Steel showed you Wonder Woman or Batman is capable?

Why don't you wait until BVS?

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #127
Bullseye1
Side-Kick

So you believe she is incapable of leading the team? And only Supes is?

We haven't seen either Bats or WW and I've prefaced my comments on both. I have seen MoS and he is not ready to lead any team yet.

We all have our favourites. This is a WW thread after all. I've no interest in either Batman or Superman. I'm much more interested in seeing my favourite DC character on the big screen at long last.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:02 PM   #128
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:
So you believe she is incapable of leading the team? And only Supes is?
Yes.

Quote:
We haven't seen either Bats or WW and I've prefaced my comments on both. I have seen MoS and he is not ready to lead any team yet.
We also haven't seen Superman in BVS or Justice League. He's gonna have two films worth of development before he leads the team. What you're trying to do would be like trying to get to the ending of The Dark Knight Rises based only on what happened in Batman Begins.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:04 PM   #129
Bullseye1
Side-Kick

Your assuming he is going to lead the team. I'd prefer my gal did.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:09 PM   #130
lc23
Fan of Steel

Quote:
Regardless of your preference, the fact of the matter is, a Superman film was the launching point for the upcoming DCCU.

lc23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:11 PM   #131
Bullseye1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc23 View Post
Regardless of your preference, the fact of the matter is, a Superman film was the launching point for the upcoming DCCU.
What has that got anything to do with the discussion at hand?

Why do people also bring up stuff like this which has nothing to do with the debate?

Old 06-02-2014, 04:30 PM   #132
lc23
Fan of Steel

Quote:
What has that got anything to do with the discussion at hand?

Why do people also bring up stuff like this which has nothing to do with the debate?
Wasn't there a debate about who could/should be the eventually be a the leader of the DCCU Justice League? I just stated a reason why Superman could eventually become the leader. He was the first "outed" super-powered being/hero and was the catalyst for others to come out of the woodwork. I'm not spouting out complex theoretical mathematics here.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:32 PM   #133
Bullseye1
Side-Kick

Being outed as first doesn't mean he will be leader. It means nothing.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:44 PM   #134
lc23
Fan of Steel

Quote:
Being outed as first doesn't mean he will be leader. It means nothing.
Maybe not, but he certainly has a much better chance than WW. Especially, since they'll need to show Supes develop from the painfully green fledgling hero he was in the first movie to being fully confident in who and what he is and his capabilities. He's got the potential, it's whether the writers want to take his arc there.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:50 PM   #135
LaughingMage
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
Has he ever actually commanded the JL in the comics?
Dunno, might be. I just remember that he made a few leaguers swallow when he surfaced with a whole armada of atlantean war ships once. Funny thing is, people always look down on Aquaman because "he talks to fish" yet forget that he commands pretty much the most powerful army in the world among a few other things. He is quite a powerhouse actually.

LaughingMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:17 PM   #136
Magic Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'd prefer if WW--or any female, actually--led the JL team. The time has come. On a similar note, some predict the US may elect its first woman president in 2016. If that happens, the dynamics of female empowerment will change overnight. Western culture will morph, I'm talking paradigm-shifting stuff. Which will make a solo WW film more likely to happen and more likely to hit big. (truth be told, I'm praying to the goddesses for a WW solo movie announcement at SDCC!)

All that said, WB has absolutely neglected Diana for decades. While her participation in the recent official BvS studio announcement was described as a starring role (only Affleck and Cavill were billed as stars besides Gal), I don't expect her to get nearly as much shine-time as BM/SM. If that's the case, I doubt she'd be the leader in the first JL film...but who knows what could transpire in the sequels if WW blows up in popularity?

Magic Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:13 PM   #137
The Guard
Side-Kick

I don't see why The Justice League needs a de facto leader.

They're all leaders in their own ways.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:15 PM   #138
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Man View Post
I'd prefer if WW--or any female, actually--led the JL team. The time has come. On a similar note, some predict the US may elect its first woman president in 2016. If that happens, the dynamics of female empowerment will change overnight. Western culture will morph, I'm talking paradigm-shifting stuff. Which will make a solo WW film more likely to happen and more likely to hit big. (truth be told, I'm praying to the goddesses for a WW solo movie announcement at SDCC!)

All that said, WB has absolutely neglected Diana for decades. While her participation in the recent official BvS studio announcement was described as a starring role (only Affleck and Cavill were billed as stars besides Gal), I don't expect her to get nearly as much shine-time as BM/SM. If that's the case, I doubt she'd be the leader in the first JL film...but who knows what could transpire in the sequels if WW blows up in popularity?
That would be different. Since they tend to change comics so much anyways, they might as well do one that would lend more credibility to WW

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:29 PM   #139
fanboiii
disciple of truth

So after a conversation in the costume thread, it was pointed out that her costume could represent the banner of Themyscira instead of the American flag.

Here's an idea for Themyscira's flag:

Red = outside world
Yellow = divine protection from the gods
Blue = the ocean
White Stars = the main island of Themyscira and tiny surrounding islands.

fanboiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:44 PM   #140
SofNascimento
Just a simple droid here.

Her classic costume will always be about the american flag, no matter how it is explained.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:44 PM   #141
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
So after a conversation in the costume thread, it was pointed out that her costume could represent the banner of Themyscira instead of the American flag.

Here's an idea for Themyscira's flag:

Red = outside world
Yellow = divine protection from the gods
Blue = the ocean
White Stars = the main island of Themyscira and tiny surrounding islands.
I like it and the explanation for it. Well done!

\S/T*
MrsKent26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:54 PM   #142
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofNascimento View Post
Her classic costume will always be about the american flag, no matter how it is explained.
Yeah, the classic costume. But, they can explain the new costume for the movie differently just like how they said Superman's shield is Krypton's symbol for hope.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:10 PM   #143
haephestus
Side-Kick

Re: Themysciran Flag

I'd be happy if Wonder Woman's costume was supposedly inspired by the Themysciran flag. All they would need is a few shots of Themyscira with the flag/s proudly flying for people to be able to make a connection between the colours and iconography in the flag and Wonder Woman's costume. After all, if Superman's costume is now Kryptonian underwear, then Wonder Woman's costume could simply be native dress for Themyscirans.

Although, I like to think that Wonder Woman's New52 costume is inspired by the Australian flag! Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi!

haephestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:39 PM   #144
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

The flag of Paradise Isle is a cool concept fanboii. It certainly will meet with approval by the "every single thing has to be grounded and explained" crowd for sure. I certainly wouldn't mind it, especially if the costume designers tweak things just enough that the inherent "she's just wearing a flag" aspect is lessened somehow, even if the colors are essentially the same.

That being said... I liked Perez having Trevor's mother, Diana Trevor, land on the island in the war and her plane's and flight suit being used to inspire WW's own costume. But that may be a bit too much in a feature like this.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:50 PM   #145
SofNascimento
Just a simple droid here.

One thing that I really dislike about Wonder Woman, besides her utterly terrible costume, is that she leaves Paradise Island when Steve Trevor crashes there. And the reason is because there is question that can be asked here, why didn't she leave earlier? From where her desire to be a hero came from if she only left the island because of an accident. A random event. It might gone unnounticed for a lot of people, but when you think about it, it diminishes her.

Making her choice to leave Paradise Island is much better, like in the JL animated series. Or a interesting tweak was made in the Smallville comic where Trevor crashed there while both he and Diana were children. I personally don't like it, but it definitely solves the problem.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:56 PM   #146
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofNascimento View Post
One thing that I really dislike about Wonder Woman, besides her utterly terrible costume, is that she leaves Paradise Island when Steve Trevor crashes there. And the reason is because there is question that can be asked here, why didn't she leave earlier? From where her desire to be a hero came from if she only left the island because of an accident. A random event. It might gone unnounticed for a lot of people, but when you think about it, it diminishes her.

Making her choice to leave Paradise Island is much better, like in the JL animated series. Or a interesting tweak was made in the Smallville comic where Trevor crashed there while both he and Diana were children. I personally don't like it, but it definitely solves the problem.
I'm not following you chief.

Besides which, the fact is that Diana's mother is a big part of her staying put on the island even though she wants to see the outside world. The Queen is like any parent, wanting to keep her child safe and secure from the inherent threats of the wider world, but Diana must teach her mother to actually trust that she has been equipped by the care and training of her parent to be capable of meeting her destiny, away from home, which is the lesson all children should ideally teach their parents. Since 1987, the idea has usually been that Diana leaves to safe guard the world from some threat, so I don't see how that diminishes her either.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:16 AM   #147
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
The flag of Paradise Isle is a cool concept fanboii. It certainly will meet with approval by the "every single thing has to be grounded and explained" crowd for sure. I certainly wouldn't mind it, especially if the costume designers tweak things just enough that the inherent "she's just wearing a flag" aspect is lessened somehow, even if the colors are essentially the same.

That being said... I liked Perez having Trevor's mother, Diana Trevor, land on the island in the war and her plane's and flight suit being used to inspire WW's own costume. But that may be a bit too much in a feature like this.
In my origin idea, I have Diana Trevor crashing on Themysicra with a teenage Steve who wants to follow his mom's footsteps in becoming a pilot. I would love it if they used Diana Trevor but I would give her a different first name.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:17 AM   #148
fanboiii
disciple of truth

another mockup just for fun

Old 06-08-2014, 12:18 AM   #149
MrsKent26
Whatever.

^ That is so neat! Man, I really like this idea. Now I might be disappointed if they don't have something like that in the movie.

\S/T*
MrsKent26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:19 AM   #150
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

It's a very interesting bit of texture that can help sell a world, that is for sure.