The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Apocalypse

View Poll Results: Which Original Cast members do you want to see in X-Men Apocalypse?
Wolverine (future version/Hugh Jackman) 42 59.15%
Xavier (Patrick Stewart) 38 53.52%
Magneto (Ian McKellen) 26 36.62%
Cyclops (James Marsden) 41 57.75%
Jean (Famke Janssen) 45 63.38%
Storm (Halle Berry) 33 46.48%
Beast (Kelsey Grammer) 28 39.44%
Kitty (Ellen Page) 26 36.62%
Colossus (Daniel Cudmore) 17 23.94%
Iceman (Shawn Ashmore) 24 33.80%
Rogue (Anna Paquin) 32 45.07%
Mystique (Rebecca Romijn) 19 26.76%
Angel (Ben Foster) 16 22.54%
Other (specify in comments) 4 5.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-08-2014, 02:43 PM   #101
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Default Re: Original Actors returning - Official Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIA View Post
dont you know that Age of apocalypse deals with alternate timelines and there is Time travel involved?

So if they addapt some of those things, one way or another, being faithful would still be a silly reason for you?
So your idea is to follow up a film in which the X-Men go back in time from a bad future where Sentinels have taken over the world in an attempt to prevent that from happening with a film in which the X-Men go back in time from a bad future where Apocalypse has taken over the world in an attempt to prevent that from happening.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who sees a problem with that.

Kahran Ramsus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:54 PM   #102
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolossus
If the comics can go on for decades, I don't see no reason why they can't come up a story for the OT cast's fifth X-Men film.
Sure they can. But they have already established that Apocalypse is going to take place in the 80s featuring the younger cast. There isn't a lot of room to put the original cast in that timeline without it seeming forced or rehashing the time travel plot.

Quote:
And as if the star power of the actors who appeared in these X-Men films is the sole reason why people watch X-Men films. Thats just not the case. Famke Jannsen and James Marsden were not exactly super popular actors when X1/X2/X3 came out and those films were still successful.
Of course not. They were making good films (X1, X2) so people showed up. Then they started making bad films (X3, Origins) so they left. Then they started making good films again (FC, The Wolverine, DoFP) so they came back. There is a delay there, but it isn't rocket science.

That said, star power does play a part. Would DoFP made as much as it did if Hugh Jackman and Jennifer Lawrence weren't in it? Probably not.

Quote:
And yet, The Wolverine earned less money than First Class at the American box-office? Its pretty much clear that Hugh Jackman's X-Men movies with his fellow original cast members bank more money at the box-office compare to his solo Wolverine movies. And like I said the original cast were pretty heavily featured on the marketing. Its not really about their star power that drove the mainstream viewers to watch the movie but mostly its the nostaglia factor, they could be all has been at this moment but the original cast members will forever be the ones that started this franchise and made it successful in the first place and them coming back together for the 1st time in 8 years is one of the selling points of this movie. Just with the big reaction of the audience when they saw Famke/James at the end of the movie pretty much said it all. The audience didn't have a reaction because they are well-known actors, but mostly because they are well-known to the X-Men characters that they are playing in the series.
The Wolverine did worse because Origins was awful. No surprise there.

As for the second part, the big selling point was WOLVERINE interacting with the past characters, with a little bit of Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen. That was where most of the marketing was. Scott, Jean, and Future Beast weren't in the marketing at all and Rogue was a complete afterthought. The others were afterthoughts that could have been easily replaced by any generic mutant. Quicksilver got more focus in the marketing than any future character other than Logan, Xavier, and Magneto. A lot more.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:58 PM   #103
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
The thing about the younger version is, they would be always seen as the "younger version" where as Famke/Halle/Patrick/Ian/Marsden/Kelsey/Rebecca will be seen as the original version and the one set in the present timeline. And appearance of them except for Rebecca, just made it more clear to the audience.
Unlikely. Fassbender, McAvoy, Lawrence, and Hoult exist as far more than just the younger versions of those characters. They are established and popular characters in their own right.

The same would be true of Young Jean, Young Scott, etc, unless their characters were botched in some way or they were turned into afterthoughts. Give the audience reasons to care about them and they will.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:02 PM   #104
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
Even harrison ford hasn't had hit film since last Indiana Jones film.
42, which more than doubled its budget at the domestic box office.

Sorry for the string of posts, but it was easier to respond to each individually.

Old 06-08-2014, 04:18 PM   #105
Zionite
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
So your idea is to follow up a film in which the X-Men go back in time from a bad future where Sentinels have taken over the world in an attempt to prevent that from happening with a film in which the X-Men go back in time from a bad future where Apocalypse has taken over the world in an attempt to prevent that from happening.

Thank you,Im suprised no one sees this.Agree absolutely.
I think Xmen apocalypse should focus on establishing the new versions of Cyclops,Storm,Jean and have the franchise start to rest on them instead of Wolverine,Magneto,Xavier.

Last edited by Zionite; 06-08-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Zionite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:38 PM   #106
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Quote:
You most certainly are not - I've been saying the same thing. As you said, it would just seem like a complete rehash of Days of Future Past if they used time-travel again or bounced back from past to future.

It would diminish what makes DOFP so unique as a movie and only look like another gimmick/cash grab.

SuperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:42 PM   #107
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Except they problly won't be doing time travel.It's more likely going to be sequenzes In 2023 which is way the words more of a first class sequel and inbetweenequel have been used.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:05 PM   #108
magneto23
Side-Kick

Quote:
Unlikely. Fassbender, McAvoy, Lawrence, and Hoult exist as far more than just the younger versions of those characters. They are established and popular characters in their own right.
Exactly. Fassbeder IS Magneto. McAvoy IS Xavier. Lawrence IS Mystique. And Hoult IS Beast. Apocalypse will only further confirm what we already know.

Quote:
The same would be true of Young Jean, Young Scott, etc, unless their characters were botched in some way or they were turned into afterthoughts. Give the audience reasons to care about them and they will.
Yup. Most people, IMO, are more than willing to give new faces a chance. But some seemingly don't want that torch passed at all.

magneto23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:30 PM   #109
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Quote:
Except they problly won't be doing time travel.It's more likely going to be sequenzes In 2023 which is way the words more of a first class sequel and inbetweenequel have been used.
To the general public, it's not really going to matter whether there's a time-travel element or not. If there's bouncing back and forth between past and future it's pretty much going to look the same as DOFP.

Last edited by SuperT; 06-08-2014 at 07:40 PM.
SuperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:00 PM   #110
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

Quote:

I wish more people saw this. It frightens me that this seems to bother so few fans

ciscostudent561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:10 AM   #111
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Sure they can. But they have already established that Apocalypse is going to take place in the 80s featuring the younger cast. There isn't a lot of room to put the original cast in that timeline without it seeming forced or rehashing the time travel plot.
And a lot of people already said that they might be book-ends in this film. Which I can see working if done right.

Bringing the original cast back make sense since they were a part of DOFP and they were the ones who are set in the future. Don't you think people won't wonder why the heck they are doing another film in the past, when everybody is already alive and well in the future at the end of the DOFP? I think the series putting the focus on the previous decade, might throw off some viewers especially without the future period/present cast not getting action in Apocalypse. Anyway we'll see.

Quote:
Of course not. They were making good films (X1, X2) so people showed up. Then they started making bad films (X3, Origins) so they left. Then they started making good films again (FC, The Wolverine, DoFP) so they came back. There is a delay there, but it isn't rocket science.

That said, star power does play a part. Would DoFP made as much as it did if Hugh Jackman and Jennifer Lawrence weren't in it? Probably not.
And would DOFP made as much as it did if the OT cast members except for Hugh Jackman weren't in it? It would feel just like the prequel characters + Wolverine. You keep making as if Jennifer Lawrence saved the franchise and that is not the case.

Another film with the original cast can be a success too. And it doesn't need a Jennifer Lawrence to bring in the big bucks.

Quote:
As for the second part, the big selling point was WOLVERINE interacting with the past characters, with a little bit of Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen. That was where most of the marketing was. Scott, Jean, and Future Beast weren't in the marketing at all and Rogue was a complete afterthought. The others were afterthoughts that could have been easily replaced by any generic mutant. Quicksilver got more focus in the marketing than any future character other than Logan, Xavier, and Magneto. A lot more.
Have you seen the marketing? Or are you just talking what you saw in the actual film? Patrick Stewart/IanMcKellen/Halle Berry/Ellen Page were heavily featured on posters and TV spots. Then throw in the visual factor from Iceman/Colossus and the other new mutants in the future which showcase the scale of the film. Scott/Jean and the future Beast weren't part of the marketing but obviously, their appearance probably strengthen the word of mouth from viewers and who knows how much impact their appearance did for the movie.

And FYI, Quicksilver wasn't featured that much in the marketing so I don't know what you are talking about Quicksilver getting ore focus than any future character? His power display were only first shown in the last trailer which came out in April and I haven't seen him in any of the posters and people only responded to him well when they saw the film.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/

Last edited by psylockolussus; 06-09-2014 at 05:21 AM.
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:18 AM   #112
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:

Michael Fassbender/James McAvoy gave great performances. But still Patrick Stewart is still the definitive Professor X and Ian McKellen is still the definitive Magneto of this X-Men movie series. Go open a comic-book from the previous decades or the new ones, you'll see what I mean.

In my opinion, Kelsey Grammer is still the better Beast while Rebecca Romijn is still the better Mystique. That says a lot especially the younger Beast appeared in more better movies than the older Beast. And just because Storm/Cyclops got the shaft in the previous films, it doesn't mean the younger version of them, are automatically gonna be better.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 06-09-2014 at 05:24 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:50 AM   #113
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslockolossus
And a lot of people already said that they might be book-ends in this film. Which I can see working if done right.
It would be unnecessary and simply waste time, much like it was in The Hobbit when they did the same thing with Frodo and Old Bilbo.

Quote:
Bringing the original cast back make sense since they were a part of DOFP and they were the ones who are set in the future. Don't you think people won't wonder why the heck they are doing another film in the past, when everybody is already alive and well in the future at the end of the DOFP? I think the series putting the focus on the previous decade, might throw off some viewers especially without the future period/present cast not getting action in Apocalypse. Anyway we'll see.
Irrelevant. We already know that it is going to take place mainly in the 80s starring the FC Cast. Whether you think it should versus Apocalypse taking place in the present doesn't matter at this stage.

Quote:
And would DOFP made as much as it did if the OT cast members except for Hugh Jackman weren't in it?
Probably close to it. McKellen and Stewart might have added a little. But even a straight First Class sequel would have probably done as or nearly as well given that the films are getting good again. What made the future cast necessary was the DoFP storyline requiring it, and better characters we know having this happen to them then characters we don't. Wolverine going back in the past to save the future is a lot more meaningful than say...Bishop, a guy we hadn't even seen before this film.

Quote:
Have you seen the marketing? Or are you just talking what you saw in the actual film? Patrick Stewart/IanMcKellen/Halle Berry/Ellen Page were heavily featured on posters and TV spots. Then throw in the visual factor from Iceman/Colossus and the other new mutants in the future which showcase the scale of the film. Scott/Jean and the future Beast weren't part of the marketing but obviously, their appearance probably strengthen the word of mouth from viewers and who knows how much impact their appearance did for the movie.

And FYI, Quicksilver wasn't featured that much in the marketing so I don't know what you are talking about Quicksilver getting ore focus than any future character? His power display were only first shown in the last trailer which came out in April and I haven't seen him in any of the posters and people only responded to him well when they saw the film.
Quicksilver was all over the place from magazines to the Burger King ads. I saw endless commercials featuring Mystique and Quicksilver for weeks. I was getting sick of it frankly. And yes, I'm talking about the marketing. The trailers themselves focused primarily on Stewart, Jackman, McKellen, McAvoy, Fassbender, and Lawrence.

Quote:
Michael Fassbender/James McAvoy gave great performances. But still Patrick Stewart is still the definitive Professor X and Ian McKellen is still the definitive Magneto of this X-Men movie series. Go open a comic-book from the previous decades or the new ones, you'll see what I mean.

In my opinion, Kelsey Grammer is still the better Beast while Rebecca Romijn is still the better Mystique. That says a lot especially the younger Beast appeared in more better movies than the older Beast. And just because Storm/Cyclops got the shaft in the previous films, it doesn't mean the younger version of them, are automatically gonna be better.
This is all just your own personal opinion. Before we were talking about whether audiences would accept younger versions of the characters. After two films, we know the answer. Yes, they will.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:20 AM   #114
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Again dismissing the OT cast

DOFP would have made as much without them

This is thread about OT actors being In Apocalypse not the FC cast Is so much
better than OT cast thread

According to some of you there was no need for OT cast to be In DOFP.The OTcast was key part of promation.The so called golden girl Jennifer lawrence
did very little promation for film.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:24 AM   #115
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Again dismissing the OT cast

DOFP would have made as much without them

This is thread about OT actors being In Apocalypse not the FC cast Is so much
better than OT cast thread

According to some of you there was no need for OT cast to be In DOFP.The OTcast was key part of promation.The so called golden girl Jennifer lawrence
did very little promation for film.
Maybe you should try reading posts before commenting on them.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:09 PM   #116
Great Mind(s)
Broken

I think it makes sense to tie the OT cast in by having say, Archangel be a henchman of Apocalypse from a darker future that is only hinted at rather than shown. Don't go overboard with time travel just be subtle. Also hint at Cable. Then have X-Force set in the future 2023 time and show Angel's capture and conversion to Archangel, then do an OT film and another crossover time travel movie tied into all of it.

Great Mind(s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:07 PM   #117
kasjan
Side-Kick

People yelling it's Wolverine's serie, but he's 3rd in voting, interesting...

kasjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:51 PM   #118
LoganGambit87
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
The thing about the younger version is, they would be always seen as the "younger version" where as Famke/Halle/Patrick/Ian/Marsden/Kelsey/Rebecca will be seen as the original version and the one set in the present timeline. And appearance of them except for Rebecca, just made it more clear to the audience.
disagree on some of those actors

halle can easily be replaced majority of x men fan base have never liked her portrayal

marsden has'nt really left much if any impression with his take on cyclops it may not be all his fault but he can be replaced aswell

i know i am not alone but as great as ian is fassbender is animated series and comic book magneto brought to life he is the magneto i grew up with

only ones who are hard to replace is famke and stewart

LoganGambit87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:54 PM   #119
magneto23
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
I think it makes sense to tie the OT cast in by having say, Archangel be a henchman of Apocalypse from a darker future that is only hinted at rather than shown. Don't go overboard with time travel just be subtle. Also hint at Cable. Then have X-Force set in the future 2023 time and show Angel's capture and conversion to Archangel, then do an OT film and another crossover time travel movie tied into all of it.
That doesn't make much sense to me. First of all, Angel? A minor character from the worst movie of the OT? You want to shove him down everyone's throats out of the blue? From a darker future? So DOFP redo. Why wouldn't Apocalypse just stay in the "darker" future with Archangel. Why are they time traveling to the past if the future is already bad because of Apocalypse?

Old 06-09-2014, 08:04 PM   #120
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Hehe. "Out of the blue."

Old 06-10-2014, 12:33 AM   #121
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Quicksilver was all over the place from magazines to the Burger King ads. I saw endless commercials featuring Mystique and Quicksilver for weeks. I was getting sick of it frankly. And yes, I'm talking about the marketing. The trailers themselves focused primarily on Stewart, Jackman, McKellen, McAvoy, Fassbender, and Lawrence.
And you just happened not to see Colossus' Hardee ad? And Hardee is not available for most of the countries outside America. I went to the mall and there's posters for all the OT cast members except for Anna Paquin of course. And zero poster for Quicksilver.

Quote:
It would be unnecessary and simply waste time, much like it was in The Hobbit when they did the same thing with Frodo and Old Bilbo.
It all comes to down to execution. Just because it didn't work for The Hobbit, it doesn't mean it will not work for the X-Men.

Quote:
Irrelevant. We already know that it is going to take place mainly in the 80s starring the FC Cast. Whether you think it should versus Apocalypse taking place in the present doesn't matter at this stage.
And we also know now that some of the original cast are returning for Apocalypse, whether its just Hugh Jackman or the rest for cameo roles. Some of them will return.

Quote:
halle can easily be replaced majority of x men fan base have never liked her portrayal

marsden has'nt really left much if any impression with his take on cyclops it may not be all his fault but he can be replaced aswell

i know i am not alone but as great as ian is fassbender is animated series and comic book magneto brought to life he is the magneto i grew up with

only ones who are hard to replace is famke and stewart
The X-Men fanbase is like 2% of the over-all public viewers of the X-Men films. First class would be the 2nd highest grossing film of the series if the fanbase is a very large percentage of all the people who buy tickets to watch the X-Men films.

And the shortcomings from the roles of Marsden/Halle are mostly because of writing. If they were developed and given screentime like Hugh Jackman, you wouldn't be saying that right now. And sure they can be replaced, but they all showed up in DOFP no matter how big their role is.

Quote:
Probably close to it. McKellen and Stewart might have added a little. But even a straight First Class sequel would have probably done as or nearly as well given that the films are getting good again. What made the future cast necessary was the DoFP storyline requiring it, and better characters we know having this happen to them then characters we don't. Wolverine going back in the past to save the future is a lot more meaningful than say...Bishop, a guy we hadn't even seen before this film.
And see, thats the impact of the OT cast members. The audience wouldn't care that much to someone we haven't seen before. But since the future had Patrick as Prof X, Halle as Storm, Ellen as Kitty and the rest - characters who appeared in 1 to 3 movies before and movies that really took the franchise to its peak. People became more interested to watching another X-flick.

DOFP wouldn't be as successful without the OT cast members. You do a DOFP film with just Wolverine + the prequel characters + new characters and it won't feel very special. Box office analysts like Forbes have called the return of the OT cast members as the "All-Star rescue" to the series.

Quote:
This is all just your own personal opinion. Before we were talking about whether audiences would accept younger versions of the characters. After two films, we know the answer. Yes, they will.
Thats not just my own personal opinion. There was someone here who created a thread about the ending of the future characters and that poster said, that scene was the 1st time in a long time since X2 that it felt like a X-Men movie to him. People still prefer Rebecca Romijn over Jennifer Lawrence. I've seen people complain about Hoult's version of Beast. My cousin who never saw The Wolverine and still got excited when he saw the OT cast members together in the altered future. People might accept the younger version but it doesn't mean, the younger version are better. There was more excitement to see Patrick/Ian again in a X-Men movie again than the younger version. Have you seen the reaction when they attended Comic-Con?

Last edited by psylockolussus; 06-10-2014 at 12:53 AM.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:55 AM   #122
magneto23
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran Man View Post
Hehe. "Out of the blue."
You disagree? A throw away character, from a 2006 nearly franchise killing film, shows up in a prominant role 10 years later? With no build up or reference to the character post TLS? From the audience perspective, this character is just there in the 1980s???, how is that not out of the blue?

Old 06-10-2014, 11:09 AM   #123
HIA
Side-Kick

why does it matter if a character had a small role years ago?
Kitty had a cameo in two movies, then got a supporting role, and now she is a bigger part of the franchise. That can be the case with all the x-men.
sorry but that argument makes no sense to me, in a building franchise like this one that is hungrier than ever

HIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:40 PM   #124
magneto23
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIA View Post
why does it matter if a character had a small role years ago?
Because you are asking TOO much of the audience. To expect them to care about this character, a very minor/insignificant character, from a bad movie 10 years ago.

Quote:
Kitty had a cameo in two movies, then got a supporting role, and now she is a bigger part of the franchise.
She was a supporting player in TLS. MUCH more involved than Angel was in that film. And she returned in DOFP to another supporting, yet integral, role. Angel had a small small supporting role(if you can call it that) and then disappeared. There has been no advancement for him. Why should/would the audience care at this point?

Quote:
That can be the case with all the x-men.
sorry but that argument makes no sense to me, in a building franchise like this one that is hungrier than ever
In a building franchise important characters don't get neglected for 10 years. You don't go from a useless afterthought character in X3 to this super important character that Apocalypse has to some how time travel 30 years to get in XMA. It doesn't add up and its cheap.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:38 AM   #125
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Save Angel for X-Men 5 in my opinion especially if they would ask Ben Foster to comeback.