The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Upcoming Batman Solo Movie

Old 07-09-2015, 06:42 PM   #1
StarLord
Pool. Dead.

Default Ben Affleck To Team With DCís Geoff Johns On Standalone ĎBatmaní Film

http://deadline.com/2015/07/ben-affl...on-1201472921/

Quote:
Hereís one for the Comic Con crowd to gnaw on. Iím told that Ben Affleck is teaming up with Geoff Johns to co-write a standalone Batman movie that Affleck will direct and star in after he completes his longstanding plan to helm his scripted adaptation of the Dennis Lehane novel Live By Night. Johns has about as much comic cred as anybody around. Heís DC Comicsí chief creative officer and has written some of its best remembered comic book series including Green Lantern, Aquaman, Batman, Justice League Unlimited, The Flash and Superman. He has also written TV series superhero transfers Smallville, Arrow and The Flash, as well as the Supergirl project with Greg Berlanti for CBS.

My studio sources tell me that Affleck and Johns are well in synch and have more than found their rhythm. In fact, they are likely to turn in a script before the end of the summer, prior to Affleck going off to direct Live By Night in November. Affleck postponed that pic to star in Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice. The Batman movie would shoot after he finishes Live By Night, and the plot would reflect the Batman character that emerges after Batman V Superman and Justice League, the latter of which comes out November 17, 2017. DC and Warner Bros have set a long list of superhero movies that take the Marvel formula of interspersing characters from one film to the next, so itís unclear when Affleckís Batfilm will be slotted.

But it will clearly take priority and other movies might have to move to get out of its way. While Marvelís Kevin Feige has defied the odds and turned one Marvel character after another into hit films, I have been somewhat skeptical about the DC films that Warner Bros has made a top priority. This is a confidence booster. The best Batman blockbusters had a real sense of visual authorship, originated by Tim Burton, with the latest arc by Christopher Nolan. Now it falls to Affleck, whoíll creatively steer the Batman franchise after directing the Best Picture-winner Argo, and co-scripting and directing the gems The Town and Gone Baby Gone. Helped by the collaboration with DC savvy Johns, this might be the most exciting news to hit the Con this weekend.

StarLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:45 PM   #2
Drz
Real Hero

Default Re: Ben Affleck To Team With DCís Geoff Johns On Standalone ĎBatmaní Film

Geoff Johns attached is going to cause a havoc with some comic book fans, i'm already smelling the popcorn.

"Social critics donít mean a thing to me. Itís really easy to ignore them, because I believe in what Iím doing 100 percent. So any naysayers for the public good can just buzz off. They might be a drag for a moment, but after that moment is over, it always ends up being gasoline to my fire." - Quentin Tarantino
Drz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:47 PM   #3
Serpico Jones
Side-Kick

Default Re: Ben Affleck To Team With DCís Geoff Johns On Standalone ĎBatmaní Film

This is great news.

Serpico Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:47 PM   #4
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

Johns is certainly my least favorite part of this news, but it's alright. He's not terrible.

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

As long as there's life, there's happiness. There's much, much still to come."

flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:09 PM   #5
geetard
Fearless

Geoff Johns and Ben Affleck teaming up?

Old 07-09-2015, 07:18 PM   #6
PeterBenParker
I guess that's my cue.

Amazing.

Take a look overhead.
PeterBenParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:21 PM   #7
scifiwolf
Side-Kick

I'm surprised not to see Terrio's name.

scifiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:31 PM   #8
Flint Marko
Dr. Strange >

Boom. I'm excited.
Part of me is hoping this will be a prequel.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:40 PM   #9
TX85
In The Temple

Awesome Re: Ben Affleck To Team With DCís Geoff Johns On Standalone ĎBatmaní Film

Batastic news! Affleck directing and co-writing it with Geoff is awesome. Ben doing it is a great choice and I like Johns a lot

TX85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:41 PM   #10
Sawyer
The DCEU Is Born

Are f***ing nerds still doing that thing where they act like Geoff Johns isn't one of the better writers dealing with mainstream superhero comics today?

Also...
Quote:
While Marvel’s Kevin Feige has defied the odds and turned one Marvel character after another into hit films, I have been somewhat skeptical about the DC films that Warner Bros has made a top priority. This is a confidence booster.
Shut up, Mike Fleming.

Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:48 PM   #11
geetard
Fearless

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifiwolf View Post
I'm surprised not to see Terrio's name.
He wants to make a film and we can bet WB will give him one for what he's done with BvS and JL.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:48 PM   #12
Flint Marko
Dr. Strange >

Edit

Last edited by Flint Marko; 07-09-2015 at 08:02 PM.
Flint Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:56 PM   #13
Slick
Monster King

This is good news

Old 07-09-2015, 08:03 PM   #14
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Are f***ing nerds still doing that thing where they act like Geoff Johns isn't one of the better writers dealing with mainstream superhero comics today?
You mean acknowledging the truth? Why yes, yes we are.

"They say: sufferings are misfortunes...Once we're thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost; but it's only here that the new and good begins.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:13 PM   #15
-Arya-
Brightest Day

Sometimes I wonder why some people give Geoff Johns such a hard time. Sure, he's written some duds, but most of his stuff is excellent. Many of the comics in my collection are by him:

Green Lantern
Aquaman
Forever Evil
Justice League

The man is a great writer.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:16 PM   #16
Drz
Real Hero

Arya you definitely need to add Flash, Hawkman and Justice Society of America to your collections.

"Social critics donít mean a thing to me. Itís really easy to ignore them, because I believe in what Iím doing 100 percent. So any naysayers for the public good can just buzz off. They might be a drag for a moment, but after that moment is over, it always ends up being gasoline to my fire." - Quentin Tarantino
Drz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:16 PM   #17
StarLord
Pool. Dead.

He's also helped a great deal with the DCTVU, and I'm not saying it's all his doing before people go into a cry baby mode.

The Flash is a great show.

StarLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:21 PM   #18
Sawyer
The DCEU Is Born

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
You mean acknowledging the truth? Why yes, yes we are.
Don't be such a Lucille 2, flickchick.

Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:24 PM   #19
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

I think everyone suspected Affleck would end up writing and directing the Batman solo film when he was cast. I'm fine with it, hopefully he can turn his hand to action as we know he can do the crime drama aspect of things.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:33 PM   #20
-Arya-
Brightest Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
Arya you definitely need to add Flash, Hawkman and Justice Society of America to your collections.
Thanks, I'll add them to my list of books to check out.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:41 PM   #21
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Don't be such a Lucille 2, flickchick.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:21 PM   #22
mclay18
Side-Kick

Quote:

Shut up, Mike Fleming.
I second that. Guy has an ego problem and not giving credit where it's due, i.e. Latino-Review/Heroic Hollywood.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:13 PM   #23
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

I'm not feeling Geoff Johns. Even if I can't stand his writing style, I can acknowledge that others find pleasure in his GL, Flash and JSA. But even his admirers agree that his Batman leaves a lot to be desired. In fact, many find that his writing reveals an undercurrent of disdain for the character.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Batman, Daredevil, Superman, and Moon Knight.
Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:40 PM   #24
Scarlet Spider
Side-Kick

Completely expected but great news nonetheless.

Scarlet Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:39 PM   #25
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Am I the only one who's almost more excited for this than BvS?

I really like Afleck as a director more so than an actor really, so I'm quite excited to see what he can do.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote