1 1 0.34%
Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-31-2014, 06:59 PM   #76
Hamill-Joker
Side-Kick

Default Re: Official Rate and Review DAYS OF FUTURE PAST - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
Yeah, I can see why he'd let Mystique go just for reasons of pure affection but he still should've just about had it with Magneto by that point. Dude's a walking loose cannon.
He still has hope for Erik, that is what makes Xavier who he is.

Hamill-Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:00 PM   #77
hoy-small-fry
It's a dance-off bro!

Quote:
The way Charles forgave Eric on the plane happened too quickly for my tastes.
Me too, it's my only criticism about the script. It's just "yeah umm, JFK was a mutant right"
"Oh really? I'm sorry Erik, all is forgiven"
*plays chess*

Coulson: "Sir?"
Fury: "You don't have to call me sir, Coulson. Look at me. I'm dressed like I live under a bridge."
hoy-small-fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:07 PM   #78
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy

I think JFK revelation blew Charles' mind so much he had to re-asses his view of Erik and needed some down time.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:11 PM   #79
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy

I give it a solid 9.

This is an instant favorite of mine.

I love the action set pieces, the gripping drama, and most of all the message.

The message is what elevates the film to classic status for me. That along with the swiss clock execution. Evetything unfolds beautifully.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:14 PM   #80
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy

I think it's silly that the poll results are ruined when a thread gets continued to another page.

Is there a way to fix it?

Old 05-31-2014, 07:24 PM   #81
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
I think it's silly that the poll results are ruined when a thread gets continued to another page.

Is there a way to fix it?
Yeah its ridiculous isnt it?

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:01 PM   #82
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Charles shutting the school down because some of his students were drafted is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
I had a problem with that as well. It felt like a clumsy attempt to shoehorn the Vietnam War in more than anything else.

I'm generally down on this movie a lot on these boards, but I have to say, considering the premise it turned out to be very watchable and entertaining. I'm just frustrated that after the promise of the first half it just kinda fizzles out for me and none of the character drama hits as hard as it should.

Mrs Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:31 PM   #83
TheComicbookKid
Coulda Woulda Shoulda

Quote:
Eric's decision to kill Mystique in the Paris hotel room made no sense at all. How was he going to get the body out of there without being noticed? Didn't it occur to him that spreading her DNA all over the place would be a bad idea?
They'd probably get out the same way they got in. Unnoticed.

It's 1973. The whole idea of everyone thinking about DNA won't come around for another thirty years with CSI.

Quote:
Charles shutting the school down because some of his students were drafted is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
That makes since. Charles is pacifist. He's not teaching X-men to be soldiers and fight yet. Just to control their powers. It would probably break his heart to see his students leave to go fight a war and using their powers in such a way.

Now he has nothing. He can't walk, no Mystique, and the founding belief of school is being abandoned.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:05 PM   #84
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
I give it a solid 9.

This is an instant favorite of mine.

I love the action set pieces, the gripping drama, and most of all the message.

The message is what elevates the film to classic status for me. That along with the swiss clock execution. Evetything unfolds beautifully.
Agreed. The concept was solid. Going back in time to first convince people and then make a difference is great. I liked how it was a large scale film with an intimate focus - Charles and Raven prodeminantly with Erik in the mix as well. Plus I liked the Sentinels, how they made even the most powerful mutant afraid and effectively nullified. A serious threat that could not be stopped, but delayed briefly.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:13 PM   #85
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy

I don't get the complaints about Charles' suppressed powers giving him the ability to walk.

I think the subtext was that he used drugs to feel normal but in doing so he gave up his unique gifts.

Probably the strongest criticism of drug use I've ever seen in a comic book movie.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:21 PM   #86
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
I think the subtext was that he used drugs to feel normal but in doing so he gave up his unique gifts.
This is how I saw it, too. Absolutely. It was the trade-off. Have the needle and suppress your greatness - but walk. Or don't have the needle, be crippled but be who you really are.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:41 AM   #87
Adder
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
1. It's a secondary mutation, which is a concept from the comics.
2. How Xavier ended up in a wheelchair in FC was rather lame in and of itself.
3. Beast's serum didn't come out of nowhere. It ties back to FC where he was working on one to cure his feet mutation and used Mystique's blood as part of the process. He simply refined it in the ten years between FC and DOFP.
4. Xavier didn't lose his powers because of the serum itself. They specifically say that he's taking too much of it, the doses are higher than they should be.
1. Have secondary mutations been established in the xmen movie universe?
2. Not a good defense. Lets be honest, they wrote themselves in a corner by having prof x get paralyzed so soon in the FC series and wanted a way to backtrack.
3. It does not matter if it sorta came from FC. what matters is its purpose. Its a lame device the writers needed to undo what they had done.
4. So if I get drunk from drinking too much alcohol it wasn't the alcohol that got me drunk? Come on man, what possessed you to try this hard?

Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:35 AM   #88
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I was listening to a podcast and I'm wondering if they took notice in the film or previous films (they'd done a retrospective of the whole series), two of the things they had a dig at:

- Future Xavier been back in his own body, X3 explained this with some exposition earlier in that film and the post credits scene
- Future Xavier said he wouldn't have his powers in 1973, this was explained in this movie because he obviously remembered at that time he was suppressing his powers with the serum

Really annoys me when people pick at stuff and its like if you paid attention you'd see the answers are there

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:45 AM   #89
Leenie
Make Up!

Overall, I thought this movie was fantastic. The finale was one of the most tense I've seen in a comic book film. The finale was getting so bleak and brutal that for a minute there, I was honestly starting to believe that we weren't going to get a happy ending. It's pretty rare when comic book movies can do that nowadays!

There were two things that really bothered me in this movie (hint: they involve Emma Frost and Rogue), and there were some plot conveniences (such as Kitty's powers), but the good easily outweighs the bad. The acting in this film is something to behold, because the actors brought in their A-games. James McAvoy was the standout actor in this; I believe this is his movie. And Michael Fassbender has dethroned Ian McKellen as the definitive Magneto, as far as I'm concerned (I've been saying this since First Class, actually, but this movie further solidifies my opinion).

Also, that Quicksilver scene is probably the single coolest thing I've seen in any of the X-Men movies. He was hilarious and fun to watch. I didn't think I was going to say this, but Joss Whedon has something to worry about for Age of Ultron, because X-Men's Quicksilver was awesome.

This is my favorite X-Men movie to date, with First Class coming in a close second. Twentieth Century Fox deserves some kudos, because I'm excited for the X-Men movies again! As far as 2014 comic book movies are concerned, though, Captain America: The Winter Soldier is still my favorite for now.

(6) Captain America: The Winter Soldier, (7) Guardians Of The Galaxy, (8) Kick-Ass,
(9) Batman (89)
(10) Captain America: The First Avenger
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:58 AM   #90
Nathan

I think I really have only one major nitpick. You can't even ****ing drown Wolverine now. The one sure way to kill him, and even that doesn't work anymore.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:12 AM   #91
Tehmeh
Everybody likes bewbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I think I really have only one major nitpick. You can't even ****ing drown Wolverine now. The one sure way to kill him, and even that doesn't work anymore.
I have a feeling that he would've died if not fished out so quickly. Don't know why.

Tehmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:16 AM   #92
Nathan

That was anything but quickly. He was probably there for half an hour or longer, before Mystique arrived to fish him out of the water.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:22 AM   #93
Tehmeh
Everybody likes bewbs

Quote:
That was anything but quickly. He was probably there for half an hour or longer, before Mystique arrived to fish him out of the water.
I know. I meant "as quickly as it happened", not quickly in general. I just imagine his healing factor would've slowed down enough allowing him to die if he'd been there longer.

I wonder if he drowned several times or just that one time? Imagine coming back to life just to drown again.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:58 AM   #94
Uncle Radiation
Side-Kick

Quote:
Wolverine can't be killed even without his healing factor (in The Wolverine), despite being shot, beaten, falling from heights and performing open heart surgery on himself...

The thing about Logan in these movies is, sure he survives constant horrible injuries - but he is the only character who gets horrible injuries. No one else gets stabbed, shot etc but Logan.

Uncle Radiation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:03 AM   #95
Tehmeh
Everybody likes bewbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Radiation View Post

The thing about Logan in these movies is, sure he survives constant horrible injuries - but he is the only character who gets horrible injuries. No one else gets stabbed, shot etc but Logan.
...and that's what I appreciate. All kinds of maiming, mutilation, burning and the works. Yes, I am an idiot and I like to see some gruesome violence in my movies. Especially against a character who can take tons of it, and it always hurts. It's like a wonderful circle of violence that never ends.

In my dreams, all X-movies are R-rated. Please do not alert the police or mental health institutions.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:47 AM   #96
BlackFox
Red 5 standing by

Quote:
Wolverine can't be killed even without his healing factor (in The Wolverine), despite being shot, beaten, falling from heights and performing open heart surgery on himself...

Mystique has been both shot and stabbed in these movies.

(X-Men-Apocalypse:Brace yourselves, WAR is coming)
BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:37 AM   #97
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:

He still had his healing factor in TW, it was just severely weakened. That's why he can still survive all of the injuries, but can't just shrug them off like he could before (he passes out due to blood loss at one point).

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:39 AM   #98
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFox View Post
Mystique has been both shot and stabbed in these movies.
Yeah, Wolverine stabbed her in X1. And this made her want to have sex with him, somehow? And she was shot with the cure darts in X3.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #99
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Mystique isn't a wallflower. She considers extreme physical damages attractive. I bet she couldn't stop thinking about Mags after that bullet wound.

Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:02 PM   #100
BlackFox
Red 5 standing by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Ronin View Post
Mystique isn't a wallflower. She considers extreme physical damages attractive. I bet she couldn't stop thinking about Mags after that bullet wound.
Oh yeah if ever there was a woman who enjoyed men who treated her badly its Mystique, she loves the crap out of that. Xavier's fault really.

(X-Men-Apocalypse:Brace yourselves, WAR is coming)
BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote