The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Apocalypse

Old 06-01-2014, 05:01 PM   #26
agentorange
All she needed was some..

Default Re: Gambit in the Apocalypse Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelanddcfan View Post
Origins was also retconned. Forget about it. That timeline never happened. We have a clean slate to do things completely differently. DOFP didn't even address Wolverine Origins. Just forget about it for chrissakes.
Stryker still captured him and gave him Adamantium claws I think that storyline didnt change at all. I think the only movie DOFP didn't address was The Wolverine

agentorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:35 AM   #27
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

There was a shot from The Wolverine that was shown in DOFP.

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:19 AM   #28
Super Jim
Side-Kick

So let's bring the discussion back to Gambit's possible storyline.

So here's a question:

Should Gambit be part of the X-Men, and if so, included as those at the mansion, or would he being part of the villains be ok?

My opinion is that I want to see Gambit as an X-Men. If they want to incorporate his insavory past I might be ok with that, as long as it makes sense and is done well, but for me, I want to see Gambit with Storm and the others.

Super Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:43 PM   #29
Ledlunar
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Jim View Post
Well, we know that Gambit will be in the Apocalypse movie, and that he will be played by Channing. That's a different discussion.

What I want to discuss are possible plotlines for Gambit in an Apocalypse movie...

First, looking at canon, what we know about Gambit is that we first met him when he met Storm, who was the first X-Man Gambit met. Storm had been de-aged and her memory had been affected. Gambit helped her escape from the Shadow King.

When he first met her, Gambit seemed to recognize Storm in some manner, probably as one of the people that fought the Marauders during the Morlock Massacre or possibly because he already knew of the X-Men. We found out later that he was working for Mr. Sinister and was involved on the wrong side of the Morlock Massacre.

He wanted to help Storm and took her youthful version in as his apprentice, stealing from criminals and giving to the poor. (Storm having grown up as a street thief had skills, as did Gambit as a member of the Thieve's Guild).

Storm eventually remembered being an X-Man and returned to the team, with Gambit joining her. She and Gambit have an almost brother/sister relationship, and he stayed at first with the X-Men because of her and he eventually earned his own place on the team.

Of course this story can't work 100% since in the mid-1980's, when this Apocalypse story is supposed to take place, Ororo is going to be a teenager, likely around 15 years old.

But, there are aspects of this plot that could be used. If Professor X will be going around recruiting students, such as Scott, Jean, Kurt and Ororo; which makes a lot of sense, then having Gambit with Storm could work.

Now, how old should Gambit be in say 1985?

Well, the Wolverine: Origins movie took place in 1979 and my best guess is that Gambit was in his mid-20's to early 30's. That would make him around 30-ish, maybe mid-30's at the latest, in 1985.

So this could work...

I could easily see a 30-something Gambit in Cairo with a 14 or 15 year old Ororo, thieving and giving to the poor. Some plot point would happen setting up the two to meet Professor Xavier and them getting invited to the school. Does it need to be the Shadow King? Nope, just something that would help them develop their friendship. And that friendship, between Ororo and Gambit, could be a big plot point for those characters...

As far as the whole Morlock Massacre and Gambit working for Sinister, maybe it's possible to work it in, but would it be necessary? If they wanted the whole betrayal aspect for Gambit he could just be working for Sinister or Apocalypse without the whole Morlock plot. Maybe he was being used to find possible candidates to be Horsemen? Actually, making Gambit a Horseman himself could work as well. In Canon, Gambit has been the Horseman Death (though I feel that that will be Wolverine's role in this movie). It is possible to use him in this way, or make him one of the other Horsemen, such as War or Pestilence...

Obviously Gambit and Rogue's relationship can't work here, especially after what we saw at the end of DOFP, and the fact that Rogue will be too young to be in the Apocalypse movie.

The whole Bella Donna story might be good for a solo-Gambit movie, but not for the Apocalypse movie...

Now, thinking about the Egypt setting for Ororo and Gambit, imagine the two of them going into some pyramid (hmmm, didn't we see a pyramid in the after credits scene of DOFP?) to steal some treasure and instead finding some crypt and possibly awaking some major threat that would put them on the run while alerting a powerful telepath such as Professor X?

Hmmm...

Id prefer Wolverine as Death. since I don't want Gambit introduced & then essentially brainwashed they could have Gambit take Death Wolverine down in a fight at the end though through strategy like he did in the comics was it Muir Island Saga? i cant remember. Be a good way to make Gambit seem cool enough to the general movie going public so that he could carry his own movie like it seems they plan to do.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:35 AM   #30
BlackFox
Name on the trophy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Jim View Post
So let's bring the discussion back to Gambit's possible storyline.

So here's a question:

Should Gambit be part of the X-Men, and if so, included as those at the mansion, or would he being part of the villains be ok?

My opinion is that I want to see Gambit as an X-Men. If they want to incorporate his insavory past I might be ok with that, as long as it makes sense and is done well, but for me, I want to see Gambit with Storm and the others.
I can see him being a bit of a loner/Han Solo type maverick that goes around doing his own thing before deciding to join the X-Men at the end as they need all the help they can get to take down Apocalypse.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:25 AM   #31
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledlunar View Post
Id prefer Wolverine as Death. since I don't want Gambit introduced & then essentially brainwashed they could have Gambit take Death Wolverine down in a fight at the end though through strategy like he did in the comics was it Muir Island Saga? i cant remember. Be a good way to make Gambit seem cool enough to the general movie going public so that he could carry his own movie like it seems they plan to do.
No, I'd rather it be Young Cyclops and Jean who take down Wolverine. It seems much more appropriate/poetic to me, as opposed to Gambit who Logan barely interacted with at all.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:25 AM   #32
CyclopsSummers
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFox View Post
I can see him being a bit of a loner/Han Solo type maverick that goes around doing his own thing before deciding to join the X-Men at the end as they need all the help they can get to take down Apocalypse.
Yeah I'd rather see him joining Xavier as x-man at the end. As well as Wolverine. Charles knows the future (original timeline) so makes all his possible to recruit members to take care of them. Wolverine would be already x-man during 80's instead of 2000's

I want Gambit also would be new recuit as well as young Scott, Jean, Kurt, Ororo

CyclopsSummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:49 AM   #33
Super Jim
Side-Kick

Gambits age is going to be 20's to 30's (which fits for Tatum). Knowing that the others (if this takes place in the 80's as we've been informed) will be teenagers, it means that Gambit will not "fit" with the team.

He could be "like an older brother" to Storm, which is somewhat per canon and would give her a better storyline, or he could be a bad guy, or he could be that loner.

The problem with the loner concept is then why include him? This story will be about Storm, Jeam and Scott (and maybe Nightcrawler). Making Gambit some loner that just jumps in at some point doesn't make a lot of sense.

So to me it's either going to be one of the other two.

"Big brother" option:

Makes sense and is per canon. Goes with the Gambit is a thief who meets the street thief Ororo in Cairo (or something like that). They form this relationship making Gambit want to stick around (at least until the end of the movie - similar to Wolverine).

Bad Guy Options:

Gambit is possibly a Horseman. Would they want to have him as this in his intro movie? Would him and Wolverine as Horsemen make sense? Where's the connection to him? Since no one would know him then would anyone care about him? And if not, then what's to stop the X-Men from just taking him down?

Or, Gambit is "working" for Apocalypse (or Sinister), just like canon, with the whole Morlock Massacre thing. No, I can't see the Morlock Massacre being in this, but the general idea of Gambit being an "agent" (for lack of a better term) for the baddies, fits with canon. But again, unless we get to know him, as in relation to the "heroes", then why would we care? The reason Gambit's betrayal mattered so much in the comic was because he betrayed trust of the good guys. That would be what's needed for this story to work.

So in all, I just can't see the whole loner type thing working for this story.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:55 PM   #34
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Gambit could be a thief working to pay off a debt to Sinister. He finds Ororo in Cairo to help him steal something Apocalypse related. The X-Men intervene and recruit them but Gambit betrays them at some point. It could be like the opposite of X1 with Logan and Rogue.

Great Mind(s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #35
Super Jim
Side-Kick

^ Great Minds think alike!

Old 06-05-2014, 11:59 AM   #36
Super Jim
Side-Kick

Would you guys like to see Gambit caught in a betrayal of some sort, such as working for Sinister or Apocalypse, in the X-Men: Apocalypse movie?

If he is double dealing in any way, wouldn't Xavier read his mind and figure this out upon first meeting him?

Old 06-06-2014, 02:39 PM   #37
Storm22
Side-Kick

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=119214

I like that he's really passionate about the character but I don't think having a stand alone Gambit movie before X-Men: Apocalypse is a good idea. He should be introduced in Apocalypse and then explored more in a solo movie.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:49 PM   #38
JP
To me

There's no way this film is out before Apocalypse, aka there are no plans of him actually being in Apocalypse outside of a post credit tease...

JP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:57 PM   #39
Storm22
Side-Kick

I'd like to see more of him than a post credit tease in Apocalypse. I'd like a Quicksilver type tease.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:36 PM   #40
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

I really want him in Apocalypse but maybe that's a blessing in disguise. If there's no Gambit, that certainly gives more room for Scott, Jean and Storm to breath as characters.

SuperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 04:59 PM   #41
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm22 View Post
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=119214

I like that he's really passionate about the character but I don't think having a stand alone Gambit movie before X-Men: Apocalypse is a good idea. He should be introduced in Apocalypse and then explored more in a solo movie.
Yeah, a solo movie before Apocalypse is not happening, so now I wonder if he's going to be in it at all. If not, it's probably for the best as it's one less X-Man to reintroduce, giving more time to the big 3, though I'm still crossing my fingers for Nightcrawler to make an appearance

Old 06-06-2014, 06:28 PM   #42
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

I'm with you Duran. You're already dealing with Apocalypse and probably sinister. They're gonna need all the screen time they can get to give a good arc to the big 3 that ties into the Apocalypse mytho

ciscostudent561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:45 PM   #43
scatterax
Presented in Technicolor

If they play their cards right I can see a gambit origin featuring sinister as the main baddy before apocalypse to get two intros out of the way. They'd have to get a story together ASAP so the odds of that actually panning out are slim. If the film comes out post apocalypse id rather a side adventure with flashbacks to his origins ala the wolverine then a full origin prequel ala x-men origins: wolverine. A prequel to a sequel to a prequel is just one to many layers for me. Sorry Dom.

4) The Dark Knight Rises 5) The Incredible Hulk 6) Scott Pilgrim vs The World
7)X-Men:Days of Future Past 8) X-Men:First Class 9) Thor 10) Spider-Man 2
scatterax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 03:11 AM   #44
Malik
Side-Kick

Sinister isn't needed in apocalypse, they can save him for X-5

Old 06-07-2014, 03:39 AM   #45
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran Man View Post
Yeah, a solo movie before Apocalypse is not happening, so now I wonder if he's going to be in it at all. If not, it's probably for the best as it's one less X-Man to reintroduce, giving more time to the big 3, though I'm still crossing my fingers for Nightcrawler to make an appearance
A Gambit solo movie before Apocalypse could be disastrous at the box-office. Of course I'll watch it as a X-Men fan but seriously a solo movie for Gambit. Its not like Gambit just appeared in a very successful X-Men film. Also, Channing Tatum has yet to be proven as Gambit. They should let him work with the X-Men first whether he's an ally or a villain before they try to make a Gambit movie.

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 03:51 PM   #46
Karelia
King of the 7 Seas

I figured he would have a Quicksilver-esque role in Apocalypse, if it goes over well, then maybe a solo film. Now peeps are saying he might not be in Apocalypse? I haven't read anything that said he would't be, quit the opposite.

DC: Superman, Batman, The Flash, Green Arrow, Nightwing, Green Lantern

Marvel: Gambit, Deadpool, Iron Man, Wolverine, Thor Spider-Man
Karelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:21 PM   #47
lofoa82
Side-Kick

In what moment did Tatum earned the keys of the X-movie verse?

Why did Shuler Donner adore him so much?

This is a total lack of respect to Tim Miller and Jeff Wadlow.

lofoa82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:17 PM   #48
kevork89
Rogue + Gambit = WIN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofoa82 View Post
In what moment did Tatum earned the keys of the X-movie verse?

Why did Shuler Donner adore him so much?

This is a total lack of respect to Tim Miller and Jeff Wadlow.
What does that even mean? No one earns keys to the universe they get casted. That's what actors do. And Donner has loved him since she casted him in She's the Man which was his first major movie. She obviously saw something in him as did everyone else who have casted him. And he's getting Oscar buzz for his new movie Foxcatcher. So if anything he's perfect for X-Men.

kevork89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:05 PM   #49
Great Mind(s)
Broken

I dont care about him one way or the other, just don't understand how a Gambit solo film is supposed to come out before Apocalypse.

Great Mind(s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:16 PM   #50
JP
To me

No one said it was.

JP is online now   Reply With Quote