The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Apocalypse

Old 07-08-2014, 10:08 AM   #126
Super Jim
Side-Kick

Default Re: Gambit in the Apocalypse Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post
I don't want him being 100% villain and don't believe he will be at all. If rumor is him getting a spinoff, and since it's confirmed Tatum is playing him, I don't see 100% villain happening.

He's most likely gonna be same age range as Scott, Jean and Ororo; if anyone Nightcrawler is gonna be the younger one.
Makes no sense what you're saying.

I have, I believed, already proven that Nightcrawler will pretty much have to be either 19 or 20 years old.

While Scott, Jean and Ororo should be anywhere from 13 through 18, give or take.

Nightcrawler should be the older one, but not by enough to matter.

But Gambit will need to be the oldest, not only based on what we know from Origins, but also from the fact that it's Tatum who will be playing him. My estimate is that he should be mid to late 20's, which makes perfect sense for the actor.

Yes, they can play him four different ways with that age.

1. He could be the loner who is working for the bad guys, but then realizes he's on the wrong side and switches at the right time, saving the heroes and making himself into one at the same time.

2. He could be a full-on baddie, maybe without control. For example, he could be the Horseman War or Pestilence (or Death - though I want to see Wolvie in that spot). At the end of the movie he would, of course, be freed from whatever control the villains had on him, making him ready for his solo flick.

3. They can try to integrate him in as "one of the kids", though IMO this would come off stupid. He's not a kid in 1983 (in this movie-verse). He's not new to using his powers. And he won't need, nor want, Professor X to "train" him.

4. They can go the "big brother" route for him, likely for Ororo, just like in the comics. This makes him part of the team, while maintaining his personality, and makes sense age-wise as compared to the others. They can still integrate the "working for the baddies" angle if they want (just like in the comic). IMO this is by far the best route for this movie, IF Gambit is actually in it.

Super Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:10 AM   #127
Dayspring1
Side-Kick

I think Gambit will be older than the rest, especially if played by Channing Tatum. Scott and Ororo will likely be youngest, with Jean and Nightcrawler a little older. And Beast will also be a veteran.

Wolverine as well, assuming he's in this. But I personally hope he's Death.

Dayspring1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:44 AM   #128
Super Jim
Side-Kick

^ Yes! Dayspring1 gets it!

Old 07-08-2014, 05:31 PM   #129
Majik1387
Casting Extraordinaire ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Jim View Post
Makes no sense what you're saying.

I have, I believed, already proven that Nightcrawler will pretty much have to be either 19 or 20 years old.

While Scott, Jean and Ororo should be anywhere from 13 through 18, give or take.
It's already been said the trio are gonna be late teens 17-19. Give up your age discrepancies.
Quote:
Nightcrawler should be the older one, but not by enough to matter.
Eh agree to disagree. I'm not saying he should be a preteen, but I do believe he'd be the younger of the group.
Quote:
But Gambit will need to be the oldest, not only based on what we know from Origins, but also from the fact that it's Tatum who will be playing him. My estimate is that he should be mid to late 20's, which makes perfect sense for the actor.
First, Origins is no longer in continuity as far as the writers are concerned.
Second, I already know odds are Tatum will be the older one.
Quote:
Yes, they can play him four different ways with that age.

1. He could be the loner who is working for the bad guys, but then realizes he's on the wrong side and switches at the right time, saving the heroes and making himself into one at the same time.

2. He could be a full-on baddie, maybe without control. For example, he could be the Horseman War or Pestilence (or Death - though I want to see Wolvie in that spot). At the end of the movie he would, of course, be freed from whatever control the villains had on him, making him ready for his solo flick.

3. They can try to integrate him in as "one of the kids", though IMO this would come off stupid. He's not a kid in 1983 (in this movie-verse). He's not new to using his powers. And he won't need, nor want, Professor X to "train" him.

4. They can go the "big brother" route for him, likely for Ororo, just like in the comics. This makes him part of the team, while maintaining his personality, and makes sense age-wise as compared to the others. They can still integrate the "working for the baddies" angle if they want (just like in the comic). IMO this is by far the best route for this movie, IF Gambit is actually in it.
I like number 4 for his relation to Storm, no romance angle.
3 I can see getting a mention, but agreed, Gambit's ego wouldn't be feeling it.
I really don't want cliche 1 or 2.

Majik1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:47 AM   #130
CyclopsSummers
Side-Kick

Quote:

Yes Tatum would play a 19-20yo Gambit, while Cyclops and the others are 15-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayspring1 View Post
I think Gambit will be older than the rest, especially if played by Channing Tatum. Scott and Ororo will likely be youngest, with Jean and Nightcrawler a little older. And Beast will also be a veteran.

Wolverine as well, assuming he's in this. But I personally hope he's Death.
Gambit is a little older but Jean and Scott must be the same age.

CyclopsSummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:07 AM   #131
pavlov
Side-Kick

Im writing a treatment XMA; I have Gambit aligned with the Brotherhood initially.

pavlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:19 AM   #132
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Tatum couldn't pass as a teen so at the most mid 20s

Old 07-09-2014, 12:11 PM   #133
Dayspring1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsSummers View Post
Gambit is a little older but Jean and Scott must be the same age.
Why? They weren't the same age in the original trilogy. Famke was noticeably older.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:58 PM   #134
CyclopsSummers
Side-Kick

Famke is older than James Marsden doesnt mean Jean is older than Scott

Old 07-09-2014, 01:49 PM   #135
Dayspring1
Side-Kick

It doesn't mean that she isn't either. And I'd imagine they'd be more inclined to make her a bit older for consistency's sake. Since Famke was noticeably older than Marsden. In a way it kind of makes the love triangle make more sense too. At least IMO.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:39 PM   #136
Super Jim
Side-Kick

I think what they are trying to say is that Scott and Jean, and even Ororo, are likely to be around the same age, while Remy is likely to be anywhere from 5 to 10 years older.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:20 PM   #137
kasjan
Side-Kick

Looks like Jean is 1 or 2 years older.

kasjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:39 AM   #138
Majik1387

Of the trio, I think Ororo would be the same age as Jean, and Cyclops being a bit younger. Gambit would most likely be the oldest one.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:31 AM   #139
CyclopsSummers
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasjan View Post
Looks like Jean is 1 or 2 years older.
We dont know exactly how old they are. Just Gambit is a little older than Scott Jean Ororo. Colossus Kitty Iceman Rogue are the youngest. Beast is much older than all them.

Quote:
I think what they are trying to say is that Scott and Jean, and even Ororo, are likely to be around the same age, while Remy is likely to be anywhere from 5 to 10 years older.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:39 AM   #140
kasjan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Famke is older than James Marsden doesnt mean Jean is older than Scott
Look at Jean in 1981 and Scott in 1987, she's older.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #141
Super Jim
Side-Kick

We can't make assumptions on the character's ages based on X1-X3 and in most way, Origins.

What I mean by that is since we don't have any confirmation of ages or birthdates for most of the characters, in looking at Scott, Jean and Ororo in X1-X3 all we can say is that they are "around the same age".

The only age/birth year that we can be almost 100% on is Nightcrawler, as I've explained previously. Since we know the timeline for when Mystique and Azazel could have been together, before Azazel's death, that means Nightcrawler's birth had to be in one of two years making him, definitively (as long as Mystique and Azazel are the parents) 19 or 20 in 1983.

We can try to determine a generic age for Jean based on the X3 visit from Professor X and Erik to the Grey household, but even then we don't know definitively what year that visit was, nor specifically what age Jean was. We can guess that she was somewhere between 12 and say 16 and maybe try to guess at the year, based on the minimal information we have, but it's not enough to determine positively her age in 1983. My best guess is around 15, but most don't believe that that is what we'll get in the Apocalypse movie.

We can try to use the imagery we saw in First Class when Xavier used Cerebro, but my personal belief is that that was flawed. It made Scott (if we assume the kid with the ruby quartz looking glasses and baseball mit was Scott) look like he was 16 or so, and it made Ororo (if we assume the kid with the white hair was Ororo) look like she was 12 or so.

If Scott was say, 16, in 1962, then in 1983 he'd be say 37 and in X1 (which took place in what, 2004) he would have been 58.

And if Ororo was say, 12 in 1962, then in 1983 she'd be 33 and in 2004 she would have been 54.

So is it safe to say that there is no way (for these timelines to work) that the kids Charles saw in 1962 were Scott and Ororo? Just saying "nope, wasn't them" is much easier than trying to make it work, and this timeline is screwed up enough.

So, just for reference, in 1999 when X1 was being filmed the actor's ages were as follows:

Famke (Jean) = 35 years old

Marsden (Scott) = 26 years old

Halle (Ororo) = 33 years old

Yes, the actor's/actress' ages don't mean anything, but it's good for reference.

My best guess is that they wanted these characters to look somewhere around 30 during X1, so Berry and Famke made sense. Marsden just looked the part so well that they decided to go with a younger actor.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:31 PM   #142
JP
Smelly

Those were just nods.

JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:43 PM   #143
kasjan
Side-Kick

That wasn't 1962's Scott an Ororo in FC, and we clearly had young Jean in X3 and young Scott in Origins.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:51 PM   #144
CyclopsSummers
Side-Kick

People dont understand Jean wasnt a teenager yet 20 years ago X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasjan View Post
Look at Jean in 1981 and Scott in 1987, she's older.
Jean in X3 intro was a child whereas Scott in Origins was a teen (between 15-17)

Old 07-10-2014, 03:31 PM   #145
Super Jim
Side-Kick

I believe it's safe to say that most are discounting much of what was given to us in Origins. The Cyclops we saw, the White Queen (diamond chick), and pretty much everything to do with Deadpool.

It's also safe to say that we have to discount the two figures during the use of cerebro from First Class, since the ages do not match anything that we know.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:56 PM   #146
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Setting it in 1983 pretty much says they are most likely ignoring the X3 flashback with Eric and Charles aswell as probably cyclops in origins

Old 07-10-2014, 04:31 PM   #147
kasjan
Side-Kick

Quote:
People dont understand Jean wasnt a teenager yet 20 years ago X3

Jean in X3 intro was a child whereas Scott in Origins was a teen (between 15-17)
She was about 12, and he was about 18.
So in 1983 Jean would be 15, and Scott would be 14.
Can't ignoring some part of the movie if movie counts, and you have flashbacks from those movies in DOFP.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:48 PM   #148
Majik1387

They're not making the trio 14-16 year olds...

Old 07-10-2014, 05:29 PM   #149
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

They will defo be old enough to be played by young adults aka anyone likely in their 20s who looks like a teen

Old 07-11-2014, 03:58 AM   #150
CyclopsSummers
Side-Kick

As if Tatum plays a 19/20 Gambit its good for me.

Quote:
So in 1983 Jean would be 15, and Scott would be 14.
Can't ignoring some part of the movie if movie counts, and you have flashbacks from those movies in DOFP.
They would be 14-15 but there will be error continuity between Apocalyspe1983 vs Origins, trilogy.
X1, X2, X3 set in 2005/2006 and 20 years ago in 1985 Jean was a child when Xavier met her. Scott was teen in Origins 15 years ago X1 and will be also a teen in 1983 ?????

However Singer said we have to forget some quotes in original trilogy, like Xavier "I met a young boy called Erik Lenhsherr at 17"

Maybe we must ignore "20 years ago" at the X3'beginning or Xavier saying to Logan "You look for your past since 15 years".
But 25 years ago at X3'intro and X-men Origins taking place 20 years ago X1 would accord with Apocalypse