The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Apocalypse

Old 07-29-2014, 09:23 PM   #201
x-er
Side-Kick

Default Re: Gambit in the Apocalypse Movie

#4: Gambit being neither here nor there. He's a thief and looks out for his own interests. He sides with whomever it's most convenient.

That would make it more interesting than having him labeled 'good guy' or 'villain', etc.

x-er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:18 AM   #202
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

A self seeking person is a straight up villian.
What makes a hero is sacrifice and selflessness.
All these anti heroes running around jus shows the true heart of fans in the comic industry.

ciscostudent561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:54 AM   #203
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

I prefer anti-heroes myself. The world isn't black and white so I don't want to read stories that make it seem so.

Last edited by Mad Ones; 08-09-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Mad Ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:12 PM   #204
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Ones View Post
I prefer snit-heroes myself. The world isn't black and white so I don't want to read stories that make it seem so.
The world is black and white. People just make excuses for evil based on their own standards of morality. Wrong is wrong and right is right. We tend to overrate the actions and not pay enough attention to the motive.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:21 PM   #205
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

That's so not true. Any time you reduce something to a binary it's problematic.

Is America evil?

Last edited by Mad Ones; 07-30-2014 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:26 PM   #206
JP
Smelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscostudent561 View Post
The world is black and white. People just make excuses for evil based on their own standards of morality. Wrong is wrong and right is right. We tend to overrate the actions and not pay enough attention to the motive.
You must be colorblind.

JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:26 PM   #207
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat

Quote:

Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Parker Wayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:26 PM   #208
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

Fascism, everybody.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:46 PM   #209
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

Facism? Lol ok...
But wow they really bombed with the watchmen movie.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:52 PM   #210
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Ones View Post
That's so not true. Any time you reduce something to a binary it's problematic.

Is America evil?
Collectively or individually?
As an ideal or as it is?

Such A broad question is usually asked by a mind convinced of its own beliefs. Ask yourself if you want to have a discussion or just explain why you already believe what you believe.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:17 AM   #211
x-er
Side-Kick

Quote:
A self seeking person is a straight up villian.
What makes a hero is sacrifice and selflessness.
All these anti heroes running around jus shows the true heart of fans in the comic industry.
Quote:
Well that's the point, he wouldn't be a hero. He'd be motivated by his own gain and sometimes band with the X-Men or with "the villains". But he wouldn't be a member of either, because he doesn't see the black and white color code, he only sees himself.

And I don't think it's wrong to portray people like that because it's natural. It's no reason to hate on the fanbase either. But if it's any consolation, Gambit should eventually be selfless and heroic...

Old 07-31-2014, 08:48 AM   #212
Super Jim
Side-Kick

^ Right, what I'm proposing is what I believe happened in the comics...

Gambit met Stormy. They became friends. Due to her being de-aged (and de-powered if memory serves) he kind of took on a "big brother" relationship with her.

When they hooked up with the X-Men he stayed, at first, because of his relationship with Storm.

But later, after a lot of stuff, including some of his cloudy past coming out, he became selfless and heroic and a staple of the team.

This is what I want to see for Gambit in the movies...

Super Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:11 PM   #213
Loki882
Side-Kick

And Gambit STILL slips back into his "old habits" in the comics from time to time. Heck that was a big part of his solo book from a few years back.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:27 AM   #214
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Jim View Post
^ Right, what I'm proposing is what I believe happened in the comics...

Gambit met Stormy. They became friends. Due to her being de-aged (and de-powered if memory serves) he kind of took on a "big brother" relationship with her.

When they hooked up with the X-Men he stayed, at first, because of his relationship with Storm.

But later, after a lot of stuff, including some of his cloudy past coming out, he became selfless and heroic and a staple of the team.

This is what I want to see for Gambit in the movies...
Yup. This would keep him true to his character and not just an actor in a long coat going through the motions. Just don't know if a cameo in an ensemble film is going to cover this much ground.

Proud Co-founder of Gambitís Royal Flush
squeekness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:08 AM   #215
Super Jim
Side-Kick

^ If they want Gambit to become the popular, go to character of the future films they will need to devote more than just a cameo to him. He'll need to be a big part of this film in order to introduce him and establish him.

Then he'd be set for a solo flick.

Have him in a movie that gets into his backstory (the whole Thieve's Guild, Assassin's Guild, Bella Donna, etc.). Maybe they could use the Nathaniel Essex Diaries story, which would then set up Sinister as the next X-Men movie (which includes Gambit) main villain.

The point is that he could easily handle a solo movie, but he needs to be introduced first, and a cameo just won't cut it.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:45 PM   #216
HIA
Side-Kick

a solo movie is the fastest move. no need to waste time with a supporting role.
Ironman, Thor and Cap movies are just a proof of this. go big or go home

HIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:12 PM   #217
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Your forgetting thor and cap had merchdize and such to promate.Gong with Gambit solo film now would rise or sink on Channing tatum's star power and how mcuh GA like or dislike the trailers and TV spots.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:20 PM   #218
Super Jim
Side-Kick

^ Agreed. Like I said, have him first introduced and hyped in a supporting role in X-Men Apocalypse and then he gets his own origins type movie (just please don't call it Gambit: Origins - that title has been ruined).

Also it's not like Gambit doesn't fit in this story. In many ways he fits right in to the concept of befriending Storm while she is young and the whole Sinister/Apocalypse story.

Maybe even show a shot of the aftermath (in a flashback or something) of the Mutant Massacre with Apocalypse saving Plague or something. That would set up Gambit's solo story and/or a movie with Sinister as the main baddie...

Or maybe an after credits scene could be Gambit visiting with Sinister and a quick dialogue showing this. Maybe nothing more than this...

We see Gambit walking up to a mansion or something and letting himself in. He quietly walks to a laboratory or office type room and enters. A figure is in the room, seen from behind. The mysterious flgure says "you've served me well Remy". Gambit shifts uncomfortably, visually disturbed. The figure says "I have one last task for you"... The figure turns around and a close-up shot of the man's face shows him to be pale with dark hair and a goatee. His red eyes flash as he smiles... fade to black.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:24 PM   #219
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
Your forgetting thor and cap had merchdize and such to promate.Gong with Gambit solo film now would rise or sink on Channing tatum's star power and how mcuh GA like or dislike the trailers and TV spots.
You seem to be forgetting that the general audience also consists of people over the age of 10.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:45 PM   #220
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
You seem to be forgetting that the general audience also consists of people over the age of 10.
on top of that most X fans now are 17 +

very few kids wanting to be Cyclops or Wolverine on Halloween compared to Iron Man Batman Thor or Supes

Old 08-01-2014, 03:07 PM   #221
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

There are X-Men In the 20's to 40's range.Yet you have to promate films to GA without any merchandize of any kind now for X-men related films.A Gambit solo film without any appearance In APocalypse would only have baring trailer or tv spots the die hard X-men fans and the Channing tatum fans to start with.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:04 PM   #222
x-er
Side-Kick

I wonder how actors prep up for roles based on previously written stories. For example, Kingberg said that Fassbender read practically all the comics with Magneto in them to prepare for DOFP. Other times, they don't really care to read the literature and their interpretations show that, as we've seen in this franchise before.

But sometimes I wonder if it's enough to read a bit by yourself?
Do actors use professional help for this? (e.g. psychologists, experts on character analysis (literature) or other acting professionals).

For example, to nail a character like Gambit, I think it would take some real deep digging and hard work since he's not just a righteous, selfless "hero", but is a more complex character. In other words, what would a new actor cast as Gambit have to do to prep?

Old 08-08-2014, 02:51 PM   #223
Super Jim
Side-Kick

I would imagine they would also use the cartoons. And for Gambit, the cartoon versions, IMO, have always been pretty good.

Just hoping that he can pull off the cajun accent...

Old 08-09-2014, 01:05 PM   #224
pantiara

Quote:
I would imagine they would also use the cartoons. And for Gambit, the cartoon versions, IMO, have always been pretty good.

I think he can pull off the accent, at least he could come closer than many actors because he grew up in that area and is familiar with it. The issue I have with Channing is... basically everything else.

Oh well, at least he will be sexy. We're not even totally sure he will be in Apocalypse. Kinberg seems not terribly keen on including him, maybe that's why Tatum was trying so hard to get a solo movie out within two years.

pantiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:08 PM   #225
Mariah
On Angel's Wings

Quote:

Chris Potter is a great inspiration if he needs some influence. Nailing the accent is key to the character. Channing has turned into a pretty slick actor over the years. I think he could surprise some people he commits to it all the way. He did really want the role so it matters to him.

Mariah is offline   Reply With Quote