The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Apocalypse

Old 07-07-2014, 09:28 AM   #26
HIA
Banned User

Default Re: "Man Out of Time"- The Cable Thread

if Im honest, with the way Bryan treated and introduced Bishop in Dofp, Im not sure he will make justice to Cable.

And since Cable could be a leading man in future movies of Fox's universe, Im afraid Bryan wont sign the actor thinking about this, but would choose someone that will mainly be a secondary actor in his career. Thats just my feeling.

HIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:32 AM   #27
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Cable was originally gonna have bishops role in DOFP before singer changed his mind and made it bishop

I ain't sure what singer,fox and the producers plans are for this film series but expect the minimum for most

Old 07-07-2014, 09:49 AM   #28
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Actully Cable was considered for when Matthew Vaughn was directing.

The leaked script some had seen was the draft written just before Singer took over as director and it had Bishop In it.

We can't be sure If Cable Is even In Apocalypse.

Cable wasn't In the age of apocalypse storyline which Is the inspiration for this film. while that doesn't mean anything both FC and DOFP prove they will use the characters they want to use.

The X-force film Is now a question mark.

Deadpool Is more likely to be In Apocalypse than Cable.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:34 AM   #29
Dayspring1
Side-Kick

Oh, I think Cable is far more likely than Deadpool due to his connections to Apocalypse. My guess is that they will likely not really play up the whole "man out of time" angle in this film, though, and keep him more of a mystery for now (if he does appear).

He's basically the coolest X-man we have yet to see on film, as he's like Iron Man and Captain America and Wolverine all rolled into one.

As for who should play him? I love both the Gerard Butler and Eric Dane suggestions, but this one is growing on me as well: http://whatculture.com/film/x-men-ap...ete-cast.php/8

Joe Manganiello wants to play a superhero, has the build, and with his hair gray could be perfect for the role.

Dayspring1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:27 AM   #30
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Singer has said he would like to use Deadpool unlike cable.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #31
Dayspring1
Side-Kick

Well Deadpool would be another superflous addition as opposed to Cable who would actually have a purpose for being involved with a film featuring his arch-nemesis.

And I don't recall Singer ever saying jack about Deadpool to be honest. Got a source? I've just never seen such a quote anywhere.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:32 PM   #32
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

In twitter chat he mentioned deadpool and gambit as characters he would like to use in
future X-Men films.He said the same thing In 2011 about Quicksilver.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:34 PM   #33
Dayspring1
Side-Kick

Nevermind. I found a reference to the tweet: http://www.**************.com/fansit.../news/?a=89197

Still would much rather see Cable in Apocalypse than Deadpool, but I guess if they can make it work DP would be cool too.

Last edited by Dayspring1; 07-07-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:49 PM   #34
PunyGod
Dojo

Last edited by PunyGod; 07-11-2014 at 12:18 AM.
PunyGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:39 PM   #35
Malik
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIA View Post
if Im honest, with the way Bryan treated and introduced Bishop in Dofp, Im not sure he will make justice to Cable.

And since Cable could be a leading man in future movies of Fox's universe, Im afraid Bryan wont sign the actor thinking about this, but would choose someone that will mainly be a secondary actor in his career. Thats just my feeling.
I don't think so, bishop and the rest in the future were basically cameos it was basically first class 2. If anything I wish they would have stayed in the future. Anyway no fox seems keen on having gambit be a leading man not cable who's outdated as ****.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:16 AM   #36
Dayspring1
Side-Kick

Cable outdated and Gambit not!? LOL. Okay.

In the comics right now Cable is a far cooler and more relevant character than Wolverine or Gambit. Hell, they are killing Wolverine in September because they can't figure out anything else to do with him. Cable meanwhile is like the best parts of Captain America, Iron Man and Wolverine all rolled into one. He's a looong way from his pouches and shoulder pads days of the early 90s. Dude actually has quite a bit a depth now and would be awesome in a movie.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:40 AM   #37
Majik1387
Casting Extraordinaire ;D

Gambit isn't outdated in the slightest; I'd say nice try but I'd be lying.

I'll say the only time I actually liked Cable is when he was taking care of Hope; other than that, I prefer they mesh him with Nate Grey in the movie(s).

Majik1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:13 AM   #38
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayspring1 View Post
Cable outdated and Gambit not!? LOL. Okay.

In the comics right now Cable is a far cooler and more relevant character than Wolverine or Gambit. Hell, they are killing Wolverine in September because they can't figure out anything else to do with him. Cable meanwhile is like the best parts of Captain America, Iron Man and Wolverine all rolled into one. He's a looong way from his pouches and shoulder pads days of the early 90s. Dude actually has quite a bit a depth now and would be awesome in a movie.
he's from 5000 years in the future or something insane like that. He's a displaced character from dystopia. I love Cable, really do. But alot of what makes him great would be skipped over in the Movieverse because it takes tremendous build up. Honestly a Cable movie could be really good. I'd rather have a Cable movie then another Wolverine movie. But he's not a character you toss into a film that's introducing his parents, storm AND Apocalypse.

ciscostudent561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:33 AM   #39
Dayspring1
Side-Kick

Gambit was every bit the 90s cliche that Cable was back in the day. Whereas Cable was all big guns and pouches and grizzled grittiness, Gambit was all trenchcoat and cigarette hanging out of his mouth and cheesy, cavalier ladies man. Both have evolved since then, but I'd say that Cable has had a lot more depth added to him. First in the Cable/Deadpool series and then later in the whole Messiah Complex/Messiah War/Second Coming trilogy where his mission was to protect Hope. At his core he's a soldier willing to sacrifice everything for the mission. If that's a dated concept then most action heroes are outdated. Which is possible, but I still like them.

As for his complicated origin, why does everyone assume that every facet of it will have to be put into the film? I mean, they didn't include the whole Romulus / Lupine sapiens nonsense in Wolverine's origin story. Or his connection to Weapon Plus. Or many of the other things that have been added over the years. And I doubt very much that we'll get anything about the Thieves Guild with regards to Gambit in 'Apocalypse'. So why would Cable be any different? They could keep most of his origin a mystery in the film, and when they do get around to revealing it they could streamline it to make it less convoluted. Basically what they do for most comic characters when they adapt them.

I say bring him in as a man of mystery who has been hunting Apocalypse for years and obviously knows quite a bit about him. Simple enough.

If they don't bring him into 'Apocalypse' (which they may not simply because the cast is pretty crowded already), then FOX would be stupid not to bring him into another film at some point. Perhaps the X-Force spinoff? Cable is one of the few X-characters in the comics interesting enough as a lead to sustain his own series. And if they ever want to rival The Avengers as a franchise, they've got to introduce and build up a few more of those. Seems like that's what they're trying to do with Channing-Gambit, and eventually Deadpool.

Last edited by Dayspring1; 07-08-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:54 PM   #40
Fondue
Side-Kick

dunno is this was discussed, but didn't Cable appear at the beginning of DOFP? that guy had long white-ish bangs and the back of his head was dark.

Fondue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:42 PM   #41
Majik1387
Casting Extraordinaire ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fondue View Post
dunno is this was discussed, but didn't Cable appear at the beginning of DOFP? that guy had long white-ish bangs and the back of his head was dark.
That character was based on either Cable, Nate Grey, or a mix of the two.

Majik1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:28 PM   #42
Dr. Thanos
Your Family Doctor

Cable has one of the most complex, difficult-to-explain backstories of any Marvel character. Even if they trim it down significantly, it's still a lot to explain in this movie considering they also have to develop Apocalypse and the FC cast and the X-Men they'll be introducing...

I'd love to see Cable on film, he's one of my favorite X-characters and I think his style works really well for the medium, but I'm doubtful of his appearance here despite his position as Apocalypse's nemesis. Someone suggested putting him there as a "mystery man" and only explaining his origins in an X-Force movie, which would work better, though it might be a little strange for the general audiences to have this unknown character just pop up and go unexplained. The fact we just had a time travel movie might influence that as well.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:55 PM   #43
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

No Cable. Ever. Thank you.

Mad Ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:53 PM   #44
Dayspring1
Side-Kick

Cable is coming to the big screen at some point. Bank on it. He's one of the X-men's biggest badasses and the most marketable character we haven't seen on film yet.

Not sure why someone would troll the Cable thread if they're not a fan of the character, but whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Thanos View Post
I'd love to see Cable on film, he's one of my favorite X-characters and I think his style works really well for the medium, but I'm doubtful of his appearance here despite his position as Apocalypse's nemesis. Someone suggested putting him there as a "mystery man" and only explaining his origins in an X-Force movie, which would work better, though it might be a little strange for the general audiences to have this unknown character just pop up and go unexplained. The fact we just had a time travel movie might influence that as well.
Just don't mention the time travel in this film. Problem solved. And as for him just "popping up and going unexplained," isn't that exactly what Wolverine did in the first film? LOL.

Seriously. There was no explanation of who he was or where he came from. He had no memory of it himself. The only thing even resembling an explanation was the scene in the med-lab where Jean Grey detailed his powers and the fact that he'd been experimented on.

In the case of Cable, all you need to know is that he's a soldier who has been hunting / fighting Apocalypse for some time. He's also a mutant and has advanced technology somehow. The audience would assume he got it from Apocalypse somewhere along the way or something. Then you could get into where he actually comes from in an X-Force spinoff down the road. It's really not that hard to explain if you dole it out over time as opposed to dumping his entire origin on the audience right when he shows up.

Last edited by Dayspring1; 07-08-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:07 PM   #45
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

Having a different opinion than you is not trolling. It's the Cable thread and I'm giving my opinion on him. The movies don't need hyper-masculine macho characters who have to overcompensate with giant guns. The thought of Wolverine and Cable interacting in a bro-fest makes me cringe. There are other characters worth investing in. I'd put my time into Jean, Cyclops, Storm, Gambit, and Nightcrawler (not to mention the older characters).

Mad Ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:30 PM   #46
Dayspring1
Side-Kick

Different strokes for different folks I guess. Can you point me to the Jean, Cyclops and Storm threads so I can go there to share how boring I find them?

I'm kidding, of course. That seems like a really silly thing to do.

Last edited by Dayspring1; 07-08-2014 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:02 AM   #47
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fondue View Post
That could just be a nod to Nate Grey or Cable and it wouldn't lead to anything in the future X-Men movies.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:19 AM   #48
Fondue
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post
That character was based on either Cable, Nate Grey, or a mix of the two.
yeah, that's the obvious part, but the question is: was it a throwaway reference or his first appearance in the X-men movieverse? I wasn't spoiled and got hella excited when I saw him, Cable being one of my favourite Marvel characters and all.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:34 AM   #49
PunyGod
Dojo

Last edited by PunyGod; 07-11-2014 at 12:16 AM.
PunyGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:02 AM   #50
Fondue
Side-Kick

teen Cable wasn't the prettiest boy on the block