Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 08:34 PM   #76
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Default Re: 'Days Of Future Past' BOX-OFFICE worldwide prediction - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
Maleficent is many things but the next Frozen it is NOT. I saw it last night (slipped in after buying a DoFP ticket--because I get down like that), and critics are bashing because it's deserved.

And Marvelrobbins: I think it's way too early to say Apocalypse will do worse than DoFP two years from now. Much will ride on who they cast in the roles of Storm, Jean and Scott. Yes, the OT cast is being phased out. The First Class cast is VERY strong now, especially with Fassbender and Jennifer Lawrence being Oscar contender caliber now. If FOX is smart they will continue casting on that level for the Big Three. For example: If Lupita Nyong'o is added to the cast in the role of Storm then that film's pedigree is all the richer. Plus you have the goodwill afforded by THIS film.

In franchises, you're only as good as your last film. DoFP places X-Men: Apocalypse in an EXCELLENT position. What this franchise needs now is AN EVENT. A serious GAME CHANGER. Enough of the mutant equality/Magneto lifts something huge in the 3rd Act concepts. It's been done. And if the sluggish box office for this franchise says anything at all, it's that audiences are getting a little "been there/done that" and are ready for something fresh and new.
If they cast Lupita Nyong as storm then they should never havehad the altered future as part of ending of DOFP.No way in hell can you buy she could become Halle Berry.They should nothing more with Hugh Jackman or talk about using other OT actors again.

Too many here want to drop what makes X-Men X-Men to become avengers lite.Apocalypse Is going to be dark film since it's based on part of age of apocalypse.It certinly won't be light like other comic book films.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:44 PM   #77
danagirl42
Side-Kick

[QUOTE=I SEE SPIDEY;28941037]I think the whole marketing campaign was decent at best. You'd think Fox would have put their all in marketing this film.

I totally agree. Not that they needed to spend a bunch of money on Superbowl ads or can compete with Warner Brothers or Disney on marketing, but they need to be more savvy with their marketing and their trailers. That first one was awful, especially if you were new and did not know much about the franchise. And why in the world would you spend most of a trailer doing a call back to X3's tired triangle of Rogue, Iceman and Kitty? Why not do a call back to the Dark Phoenix while you are at it? Don't remind people of the movie that turned many people away from X-men.

The second trailer was much better, but you had that first, IMHO, bad one running for months and months with people wondering if this movie was going to be messy like X3. Fox needed to control the narrative to the GA. Waiting on good reviews cannot be your selling point on a movie like this to move tickets.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:45 PM   #78
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Sure you can. Storm's secondary mutation: becoming whiter.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:57 PM   #79
JP
Smelly

Saw DoFP today, and I almost snuck in to Malificent after, but then I was too hungry so I left. But my mom and little sister saw it and they loved it. But they both happen to be the target demo.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:01 PM   #80
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Meh. If you cannot suppress secondary concerns like hunger, bladder and bowel movement, you are not a true fan.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:03 PM   #81
JP
Smelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Ronin View Post
Meh. If you cannot suppress secondary concerns like hunger, bladder and bowel movement, you are not a true fan.
Of Maleficent? Guess not.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:09 PM   #82
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Never mind then. Lol

Old 05-31-2014, 09:19 PM   #83
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
If they cast Lupita Nyong as storm then they should never havehad the altered future as part of ending of DOFP.No way in hell can you buy she could become Halle Berry.They should nothing more with Hugh Jackman or talk about using other OT actors again.

Too many here want to drop what makes X-Men X-Men to become avengers lite.Apocalypse Is going to be dark film since it's based on part of age of apocalypse.It certinly won't be light like other comic book films.
Halle Berry does not make X-Men the X-Men. Storm is the X-Men. And while I'm finally pleased with Halle's performance in DoFP, she doesn't have to be the imprint the producers follow to cast for the past. For example: With the limited exception of Chris Pine, none of the new Star Trek movie cast members resemble the classic cast of the 1960s TV show AT ALL. Instead of focusing on getting a Halle Berry look-alike they need to focus on getting a Storm look-alike.

And no one said anything about Avengers-lite. I have no idea why you mentioned that but it has nothing to do with the conversation. This is about doing what it takes to make X-Men finally break out into the top tier CBM franchise it deserves to be.

Once you've fallen, just lay there. As you lay, simply think of how stupid you are and how your stupidity got you there.

Last edited by Lightning Strykez!; 05-31-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:36 PM   #84
Tymminator
The Main Man in Minnesota

I though ZQ did a great Spock personally...

Anyway, it's a shame it' not doing better, but at least in my time I got to see Sentinels in a X-Men movie. I thought I would hate Quicksilver but that character was very enjoyable. I personally think Fox should focus on X-Men:Apocolypse and consider just putting Gambit in that and not doing a Gambit spin-off. I would also probably avoid the next Wolverine spin-off as well.

GO SPIDEY, GO! ALL THE WAY TO THE MCU!!!!!!

Last edited by Tymminator; 05-31-2014 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:22 PM   #85
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

There is a big difference between doom and gloom and discussing how a film hasn't really performed domestically. It is doing excellent overseas and it is far from a "flop" domestically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
I still think Vaughn has given us the best and most exciting action of the franchise. DOFP action was good for a Bryan Singer movie.
The Erik/Charles/Shaw finale is by far my favorite scene in X-Men.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:32 PM   #86
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
There is a big difference between doom and gloom and discussing how a film hasn't really performed domestically. It is doing excellent overseas and it is far from a "flop" domestically.

The Erik/Charles/Shaw finale is by far my favorite scene in X-Men.
That was an excellent scene, I still get chills when I watch it but my favorite scene out of the whole franchise is the rage and serenity scene. Fassy and JM are just wonderful in that scene and it's touching and beautiful to the core and the music is perfect.

2014 IS THE YEAR DC/WB DECIDED TO GET SERIOUS.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:33 PM   #87
CB Fan
The Watcher

I saw Maleficent and loved it, Jolie is amazing to watch. Snuck in to see the audience for DOFP and it was about half full in one of the smaller theaters. I may not be jumping up and down for the film but I still need it to be successful as Apocalypse just has too much promise.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:34 PM   #88
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Which makes me wonder why people think the original cast are a draw.

This needs to be the original cast swan song.
So are you saying this movie would have performed better if the original cast wasn't in this movie or they made it look like this is their swan song? I find it ridiculous that you're blaming the original cast for this big drop. And like as if the original cast including Hugh Jackman didn't appear in this movie, this "First Class sequel" would have earned 100 million in the opening weekend and would have great legs. Also didn't you say this is more of a First Class sequel and the original cast are merely here for like 20 minutes, then why the heck are you blaming the original cast? Did you even think the possibility that the audience were less interested in the other cast and the period setting which dominated most of the film?

Yes the drop is big but its not the original cast's fault. This is what I'm saying before, spin-offs would cause over-fatigue to the series. You think after releasing 3 spin-offs in a row, the audience would just simply go back to the X2/X3 days because the original cast came back (well some of them like Anna/Famke/James were only here for a minute). It doesn't work out like that, Fox has to build momentum and let the audience get used to 1 cast. It worked for the original trilogy, why wouldn't it work now? Also Its not like the original cast appeared most of the film well except for Hugh Jackman. The best thing they could right now, is don't give the OT cast another long break to concentrate to smaller films like Deadpool, X-Force, Gambit, Mystique. Actually it will be interesting to see how X-Men Apocalypse will perform without the OT cast presence in the marketing and then we'll know who is truly the audience's favorite.

The good news is X-Men: Days of Future Past already outgrossed The Wolverine, First Class and X-Men 1 in 10 days. And the over-seas numbers will probably make-up for this low second weekend numbers.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 05-31-2014, 10:44 PM   #89
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Wow, so like the rest of the franchise before this had a large domestic drop, I was really hoping the quality of this movie would prevent that, as this movie really is something special.

Oh well, WW, it will still make a lot of money, and who knows Apoc may be the one earning the big bucks after the good will developed through the last 3 X-Movies which have all been at the very least good.

Wouldnt surprise me to see Maleficent dropping huge next weekend though, summers really are getting too crowded these days.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 05-31-2014, 10:45 PM   #90
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
So are you saying this movie would have performed better if the original cast wasn't in this movie or they made it look like this is their swan song? I find it ridiculous that you're blaming the original cast for this big drop. And like as if the original cast including Hugh Jackman didn't appear in this movie, this "First Class sequel" would have earned 100 million in the opening weekend and would have great legs. Also didn't you say this is more of a First Class sequel and the original cast are merely here for like 20 minutes, then why the heck are you blaming the original cast? Did you even think the possibility that the audience were less interested in the other cast and the period setting which dominated most of the film?

Yes the drop is big but its not the original cast's fault. This is what I'm saying before, spin-offs would cause over-fatigue to the series. You think after releasing 3 spin-offs in a row, the audience would just simply go back to the X2/X3 days because the original cast came back (well some of them like Anna/Famke/James were only here for a minute). It doesn't work out like that, Fox has to build momentum and let the audience get used to 1 cast. It worked for the original trilogy, why wouldn't it work now? Also Its not like the original cast appeared most of the film well except for Hugh Jackman. The best thing they could right now, is don't give the OT cast another long break to concentrate to smaller films like Deadpool, X-Force, Gambit, Mystique. Actually it will be interesting to see how X-Men Apocalypse will perform without the OT cast presence in the marketing and then we'll know who is truly the audience's favorite.

The good news is X-Men: Days of Future Past already outgrossed The Wolverine, First Class and X-Men 1 in 10 days. And the over-seas numbers will probably make-up for this low second weekend numbers.
I am not blaming the original cast. I am saying they just aren't a draw, outside of Jackman as Wolverine. The numbers here kind of confirm it imo. It isn't like the original series was doing crazy numbers either.

What they need to do is look to the future. Cast new, young X-Men. Cyclops, Jean, Storm. The attachment to the original cast is not there. It just isn't.

I'd have said "reboot" and do away with the first film series, but that boat sailed with DoFP.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:49 PM   #91
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
I am not blaming the original cast. I am saying they just aren't a draw, outside of Jackman as Wolverine. The numbers here kind of confirm it imo. It isn't like the original series was doing crazy numbers either.
And the draw of Jennifer Lawrence and Hugh Jackman who have been the center of the marketing didn't help much either.

In my opinion, if we had more future scenes with those Sentinels, this movie would have done better in the 2nd weekend. That part of that film had more intense action. And we only got like 20%, no wonder why some viewers aren't seeing it again.

And you can't say just because they are casting a young version of Cyclops/Jean/Storm, that would take this franchise into new heights. First Class says hi, who introduced younger version of Prof X/Magneto/Mystique/Beast and was the lowest grossing X-Men film in the U.S. until the Wolverine.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:52 PM   #92
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Jamon, I'd be surprised if Maleficent didn't have a big drop next weekend, Fault of Our Stars is going to take away it's female audience.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:57 PM   #93
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
What they need to do is look to the future. The attachment to the original cast is not there. It just isn't.
Yes like setting the film in the previous decades.

May I ask you again, if the original cast including Hugh Jackman didn't appear in this movie, do you think this "First Class sequel" would have earned 100 million in the opening weekend and would have been performing so much better?

Old 05-31-2014, 10:58 PM   #94
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
And the draw of Jennifer Lawrence and Hugh Jackman who have been the center of the marketing didn't help much either.
You can't say on one hand that the movie did vastly better then the last few, and then complain about the marketing in that manner. Well you can, but it just seems to be counter intuitive.

Quote:
In my opinion, if we had more future scenes with those Sentinels, this movie would have done better in the 2nd weekend. That part of that film had more intense action. And we only got like 20%, no wonder why some viewers aren't seeing it again.
So sacrifice story for spectacle, that may or may not get people to see it again? I don't agree with that at all.

Quote:
And you can't say just because they are casting a young version of Cyclops/Jean/Storm, that would take this franchise into new heights. First Class says hi, who introduced younger version of Prof X/Magneto/Mystique/Beast and was the lowest grossing X-Men film in the U.S. until the Wolverine.
I am not saying it would take it to "new heights". What I am saying is that they need to move on from the past and explore, to see if this is a "Singer's X-Men" thing or an "X-Men" thing. Make something new and fresh. Something a bit brighter. We pretty much know the ceiling on this series. Time to shake it up.

DoFP is as obvious a "not-a-reboot" reboot as I can think of. In someways it mirrors Singer's approach to Superman Returns. I want to see what happens if the next film isn't beholden to what came before.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:01 PM   #95
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
I am not saying it would take it to "new heights". What I am saying is that they need to move on from the past and explore, to see if this is a "Singer's X-Men" thing or an "X-Men" thing. Make something new and fresh. Something a bit brighter. We pretty much know the ceiling on this series. Time to shake it up.
You know, they did that with First Class and it wasn't enough. I don't see how bringing the younger version of Cyclops/Jean/Storm would be much different.

And do you really think audience would prefer this film to take place in the 80s? When they could just back to the present period and make the film feel more modern and futuristic.

Quote:
So sacrifice story for spectacle, that may or may not get people to see it again? I don't agree with that at all.
Why not? If thats what makes films like Transformers so successful then why not? At least we wouldn't be arguing that X-Men can't carry legs.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 05-31-2014 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:06 PM   #96
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Yes like setting the film in the previous decades.

May I ask you again, if the original cast including Hugh Jackman didn't appear in this movie, do you think this "First Class sequel" would have earned 100 million in the opening weekend and would have been performing so much better?
Depends on what they did with it. I am definitely curious about how well it would have done. DoFP is an event film. If they could have made a real event film First Class sequel, I wonder what would have happened.

One of the things I feel that gets overlooked, is that there isn't much to the characters from the original trilogy of films. They weren't exactly the Avengers, who were all built up in the various individual film franchises. The films had laser focus on Logan, Erik, and Charles. Others like Rogue had their roles to play, but we aren't talking great ocean depths here. There wasn't much to get attached to.

Also why exclude Jackman? By the character's very nature, he can be Wolverine with the First Class crew?

Old 05-31-2014, 11:06 PM   #97
Spider-Fan
Puppet tangled in strings
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:

More future scenes wouldn't have made any difference. The problem isn't the people seeing the movie don't like it. There seems to be enthusiasm from the people who DO see it. The problem is, they're not attracting a NEW audience. Domestically, the series has reached stagnation more or less. Meaning the same people are seeing it. See the Harry Potter series and such for good examples of each movie making similar money. The X-Men series has had a consistent problem attracting new people basically since X3. Throwing in more Sentinel scenes wouldn't have made a lick of difference.

Personally, I think Apocalypse is a step in the right direction for potentially attracting new fans. Use a popular villain people have heard of. Make a film that doesn't entirely focus on the mutants/humans war that the X-Men are always trying to prevent. Show that the universe is BROADER than that! Give us a younger Cyclops, Jean, and Storm that can be more properly developed from the get go and that the audience will gravitate towards. I think all these moves will yield results come X-Men Apocalypse. Granted, I don't think it will MASSIVELY increase the BO, but I think it could potentially be the point in which this series starts showing an increase in returns. Especially since it has a GOOD movie to build off of. That always helps.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:10 PM   #98
JP
Smelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Personally, I think Apocalypse is a step in the right direction for potentially attracting new fans. Use a popular villain people have heard of. Make a film that doesn't entirely focus on the mutants/humans war that the X-Men are always trying to prevent. Show that the universe is BROADER than that! Give us a younger Cyclops, Jean, and Storm that can be more properly developed from the get go and that the audience will gravitate towards. I think all these moves will yield results come X-Men Apocalypse. Granted, I don't think it will MASSIVELY increase the BO, but I think it could potentially be the point in which this series starts showing an increase in returns. Especially since it has a GOOD movie to build off of. That always helps.

I do think we need to look on the plus side a bit here. This is more or less a FC sequel. It's already passed the lifetime gross of that film in one week. Really, it's a step in the right direction.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:10 PM   #99
Spider-Fan
Puppet tangled in strings
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Depends on what they did with it. I am definitely curious about how well it would have done. DoFP is an event film. If they could have made a real event film First Class sequel, I wonder what would have happened.

One of the things I feel that gets overlooked, is that there isn't much to the characters from the original trilogy of films. They weren't exactly the Avengers, who were all built up in the various individual film franchises. The films had laser focus on Logan, Erik, and Charles. Others like Rogue had their roles to play, but we aren't talking great ocean depths here. There wasn't much to get attached to.

Also why exclude Jackman? By the character's very nature, he can be Wolverine with the First Class crew?
Exactly. Who was Cyclops in the original films? Basically, a one note jerk. Storm had little depth in X1, and in X2 her scenes were all basically stolen from the much more interesting Nightcrawler. Jean had her moments, and was I'd say next best developed after Wolverine, Magneto, and Xavier, but even there it was a distant 4th. They have a chance to reintroduce these characters, make them younger, and give them proper development. Not just have this be Wolverine and the X-Men like the OT was guilty of often.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:11 PM   #100
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
You know, they did that with First Class and it wasn't enough. I don't see how bringing the younger version of Cyclops/Jean/Storm would be much different.
No they didn't, in fact one of the film's problems, even though it is my favorite, is that it is beholden to the Singer films. It is why it is set in the 60s, why the leader of the X-Men isn't there.

DoFP "open ending" could lead to something free of what has come before.

Quote:
And do you really think audience would prefer this film to take place in the 80s? When they could just back to the present period and make the film feel more modern and futuristic.
I think it has little to nothing to do with it.

Quote:
Why not? If thats what makes films like Transformers so successful then why not? At least we wouldn't be arguing that X-Men can't carry legs.
Because Spielberg, Nolan, Jackson, and Whedon have already proved you don't have to do that to be successful.