Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - Part 17

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Old 06-03-2014, 06:13 AM   #3
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - Part 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ's Ulcer View Post
Wow. That actually hit the nail on the head. Very good analysis. Like you said it's not within his version of Parker, so hence it seems very forced and stilted.

Here's another example. Start at the one minute mark of this clip from the first Spider-Man when he's confronting the Green Goblin, who's proposing they work together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GAXZDl0WKA

GG: "Are you in or are you out?"

SM: "It's you who's out, "Gobby"…. out of your mind."

Ugh. I get embarrassed for Maguire just watching it. :doh:

In retrospect, Tobey Maguire was miscast. His Parker was *okay* (let's be honest, it wasn't iconic or pitch-perfect like Hugh Jackman's Wolverine or RDJ's Iron-Man), but his Spidey was woefully dull and colorless. And with half the equation of the character lacking, he fails as a Spider-Man. Andrew Garfield isn't pitch-perfect either, but he is an improvement, even if the movies he's in still aren't the best.

People come out with stuff like, 'Spidey makes quips as a defense mechanism', or 'the quips are wish fulfillment' i.e. he puts on the costume and disappears into a different persona and these are valid points but the quips still have to come from 'somewhere'. If you have a character who is dour and flat and then becomes Chris Rock when he puts on a mask, I'm sorry but I'm just not buying it.

You have the example of bumbling Clark Kent and the suave Superman, totally different characters played by the same person but the performance that Reeve gives is he is 'PLAYING' bumbling. There is that incredible scene where he is in front of the mirror and he is stuttering and then he takes off his glasses and stands straight and seems to grow two inches and talks confidently and the hunches down again when Lois calls him. Difference between Maguire's nerdy Peter and Reeve's nerdy Kent is Reeve is 'PLAYING' a nerd but he 'IS' a confident hero, he isn't a bumbling idiot playing as a hero when he puts the costume on.

So for me, Toby as Peter Parker doesn't work because there is no aspect of a cocky wise arse in his personality and I mean EVER so why should I buy it when he turns into that character when he puts on a costume?

Look at what Garfield does to Flash on the Basketball court after he gets powers, remember he hasn't put on the costume yet. He absolutely humiliates him, he does it because that is in him, that is in his character. Now I am thinking of Raimi movies and of an instance where Maguire is cocky or a wise arse and I'm struggling. Maybe when Maguire is wearing the black suit (SM3) you get a cocky vibe from him, but I never get 'funny' or 'wise arse'.

Last edited by spider-neil; 06-03-2014 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:24 AM   #4
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - Part 19

Hey Spider-Neil, you know there's a multi-quote option, right? Just saying, you keep posting 4-5 posts one right after another and you might get hit up by the mods for spamming.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:27 AM   #5
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat

Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - Part 19

Kinda a moot point considering it's a new thread.

Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:17 PM   #6
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
People come out with stuff like, 'Spidey makes quips as a defense mechanism', or 'the quips are wish fulfillment' i.e. he puts on the costume and disappears into a different persona and these are valid points but the quips still have to come from 'somewhere'. If you have a character who is dour and flat and then becomes Chris Rock when he puts on a mask, I'm sorry but I'm just not buying it.

You have the example of bumbling Clark Kent and the suave Superman, totally different characters played by the same person but the performance that Reeve gives is he is 'PLAYING' bumbling. There is that incredible scene where he is in front of the mirror and he is stuttering and then he takes off his glasses and stands straight and seems to grow two inches and talks confidently and the hunches down again when Lois calls him. Difference between Maguire's nerdy Peter and Reeve's nerdy Kent is Reeve is 'PLAYING' a nerd but he 'IS' a confident hero, he isn't a bumbling idiot playing as a hero when he puts the costume on.

So for me, Toby as Peter Parker doesn't work because there is no aspect of a cocky wise arse in his personality and I mean EVER so why should I buy it when he turns into that character when he puts on a costume?

Look at what Garfield does to Flash on the Basketball court after he gets powers, remember he hasn't put on the costume yet. He absolutely humiliates him, he does it because that is in him, that is in his character. Now I am thinking of Raimi movies and of an instance where Maguire is cocky or a wise arse and I'm struggling. Maybe when Maguire is wearing the black suit (SM3) you get a cocky vibe from him, but I never get 'funny' or 'wise arse'.

And this in a nutshell is why I don't like Maguire as Peter. I don't want to act like I know the character better than life long fans and experts as I've only been seriously reading comics for about 5 years now but I've now read numerous incarnations of Spidey (pretty much everything 616 up until the Clone Saga, which I skipped around and ALL of Ultimate. I've just now started a bit of Spectacular) and outside of his pre-bite persona, Peter never ever seems to me, in my reading/interpenetration of the character, as some dopey social inept nerd like Maguire plays him as. He reads more like an average Joe with s--t luck left and right. Peter Parker is an every-man, not a deflated mopey loser. And even when he was pre-bite, he never came off like such a panty-waste.

That's my biggest issue with Maguire. Peter has confidence in and OUT of the suit. Maguire doesn't. And in the rare occasion when they Spidey a one-liner, it feels out of place and odd.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:54 PM   #7
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue

I think Maguire is a pretty good Peter Parker. I don't like his mopey, "If only Mary Jane would..." stuff, but other than that, he's pretty gripping as Peter.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:00 PM   #8
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

I liked Maguire too but I don't think he is as charismatic or as good as Garfield. Garfield is like a young Anthony Perkins who come to think of it would have made a great Ditko/Spiderman

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/bipolar/id867778921

Old 06-03-2014, 06:05 PM   #9
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue

Garfield is electric as Spider-Man.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:25 PM   #10
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

"Titanic" is a marvelous film. It's the last true, old school Hollywood epic. Cynics can whine about the love story using cliched tropes all they want. I don't care. On the surface the love story is cliche, but the chemistry and acting and heart of it transcend the cliche...and THAT IS WHAT GOOD FILMS DO! They transcend idea's and tropes and cliches and make them work.

The hate for "Titanic" is imo the most transparent case of bandwagon jumping in regards to a films reception that I can think of. I don't care what anyone says, the amount of hate it got only a few short years after it's release is proof enough that a lot of people turned their backs on it just to be cool or fit in with the crowd. And no, I don't think EVERYONE should like this movie. I'm not saying that.
It's a true to the core epic with real earnest heart and emotion. There is a refreshing sort of old school appeal to the film now that I love considering the state of blockbusters these days needing to be dark, or brooding or convoluted in story and ironic in some way. The film is immaculately shot. The cinematography, costumes, the lighting, the sets, the effects....it's a freaking visual marvel and hasn't aged a day. The sinking portion of the film is one of the best displays of suspense and effects film making of all time.

"Titanic" has it all.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:27 PM   #11
Tron Bonne
NEW CHALLENGER

Where's the hate for Titanic?

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:30 PM   #12
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron Bonne View Post
Where's the hate for Titanic?
It's calmed over time, but for a while it was everybodies whipping boy. People have moved onto Cameron's other biggest movie of all time, "Avatar."

Old 06-03-2014, 06:31 PM   #13
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

I always kind if hated titanic.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:09 PM   #14
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump

I hated Titanic in the 90's as a kneejerk reaction to it winning all those Oscars and all the girls at my highschool swooning over "Jack and Kate."

I saw it on TV a few years ago and removed from all the hype that surrounded it, it's actually quite entertaining and the last act when the boat is sinking (oh sorry, spoiler ) is quite gripping.

"Your" is possessive, used to describe something you own; i.e "I borrowed your book."

"You're" is a contraction of "you" and "are." "You're looking tired today," would be an example of the correct usage.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:12 PM   #15
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Titanic hate has always been overblown to ridiculous proportions. It's like it isn't enough to merely not be a fan of a movie, no, you have to consider it one of the worst things of the decade.

Heterosexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to the Opposite Sex
Homosexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to the Same Sex
Bisexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to Both Sexes
Hype-osexual - A Person More Sexually Excited By CBM Photos/Trailers Than Any Man or Woman Could Ever Hope To Make Them

Old 06-03-2014, 07:35 PM   #16
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

I don't think it's the worst thing ever, I just find all the characters to be annoying. The sinking part is great though

Old 06-03-2014, 08:15 PM   #17
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Honestly my biggest criticism about the film is Kate Winslet. She's a terrific actress, but there's something about her that's kind of stilted in Titanic.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:16 PM   #18
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

She was supposed to be the posh upper crust falling for the charms of the lower class American rabble.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:22 PM   #19
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Titanic is great. Still holds up, one of DiCaprio's best performances.
He was also great in Blood Diamond, underrated film and performance imo.

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:

Old 06-03-2014, 08:24 PM   #20
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones View Post
Honestly my biggest criticism about the film is Kate Winslet. She's a terrific actress, but there's something about her that's kind of stilted in Titanic.
Good point I agree.

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:

Old 06-03-2014, 08:46 PM   #21
CaptainWagner
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinZilla89 View Post
And this in a nutshell is why I don't like Maguire as Peter. I don't want to act like I know the character better than life long fans and experts as I've only been seriously reading comics for about 5 years now but I've now read numerous incarnations of Spidey (pretty much everything 616 up until the Clone Saga, which I skipped around and ALL of Ultimate. I've just now started a bit of Spectacular) and outside of his pre-bite persona, Peter never ever seems to me, in my reading/interpenetration of the character, as some dopey social inept nerd like Maguire plays him as. He reads more like an average Joe with s--t luck left and right. Peter Parker is an every-man, not a deflated mopey loser. And even when he was pre-bite, he never came off like such a panty-waste.

That's my biggest issue with Maguire. Peter has confidence in and OUT of the suit. Maguire doesn't. And in the rare occasion when they Spidey a one-liner, it feels out of place and odd.
This pretty much sums up my own feelings on the topic. TASM 1 and 2 may not be great films, but Garfield has one an outstanding job as Parker/Spider-man in my opinion.

As for my own unpopular opinion: I actually liked Vinnie Jones as the Juggernaut in X3.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:58 PM   #22
Victarion
Cut

Avatar is one of the best big-budget fantasy epics I have ever seen, and surpasses Jackson's Rings series in terms of story and visuals.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:02 PM   #23
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

^Agreed.

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:

Old 06-04-2014, 12:44 AM   #24
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump

I like 'Freddy VS Jason.' It's not a good movie per se, but it's a very entertaining one. And let's be honest, only Nightmare 1, 3 (Dream Warriors) and New Nightmare were any good in the first place. And all the Fridays sucked, except maybe the very first one. So I don't understand why all the critics pick on F Vs J. It even had a cool rip-off of Jay from the View Askew universe.

At any rate, it's much better than the other early 00's crossover film Aliens VS Predator, which tried to make the Predators the heroes and toned everything down to a soft PG-13.

"Your" is possessive, used to describe something you own; i.e "I borrowed your book."

"You're" is a contraction of "you" and "are." "You're looking tired today," would be an example of the correct usage.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:08 AM   #25
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ's Ulcer View Post
I like 'Freddy VS Jason.' It's not a good movie per se, but it's a very entertaining one. And let's be honest, only Nightmare 1, 3 (Dream Warriors) and New Nightmare were any good in the first place. And all the Fridays sucked, except maybe the very first one. So I don't understand why all the critics pick on F Vs J. It even had a cool rip-off of Jay from the View Askew universe.

At any rate, it's much better than the other early 00's crossover film Aliens VS Predator, which tried to make the Predators the heroes and toned everything down to a soft PG-13.
Being a horror junky, and a fanboy of both franchises, FVJ was a dream come true and came out at the perfect time in my horror loving life. I adore it. It's a freakin' blast and one of the best theater experiences I've ever had.

Of course critics didn't like it! They ripped all of those films apart, except for some mild praise for the Nightmare franchise. I don't hang on critics to begin with....but when it comes to horror critics are all but invisible.

Closed Thread