The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > The Cutting Room Floor

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 02:20 AM   #26
KevanG
Brony

Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - Part 19

FvsJ was one of those rare movies that fans from multiple franchises can gush over, good or bad. It showed that these things can be done and they can be awesome if you're a fan, if you aren't then you probably won't like it no matter what.

No fan went in expecting Oscar worthy performances, we just wanted to see them duke it out in the dreamworld then in the real world. Everything else was incidental. I'm just so glad I got the chance to see it in theaters.

Deadly Premonition - The best horror game you've never played.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:22 AM   #27
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump

Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - Part 19

I'm not really talking about the artsy-fartsy critics who hate all horror films anyway. I'm talking about hipster sites like WatchMojo who say the team-up didn't live up to the standards set by the Nightmare OR Friday the 13th series…

When I heard that, I was like, "wait what?! Have these people actually seen those movies?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow_22 View Post
Look for reports of mysterious heroism in the next 6 years. Then check back on this thread
H.E

Hail Hypedra!!!
Old 06-04-2014, 04:29 AM   #28
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevanG View Post
FvsJ was one of those rare movies that fans from multiple franchises can gush over, good or bad. It showed that these things can be done and they can be awesome if you're a fan, if you aren't then you probably won't like it no matter what.

No fan went in expecting Oscar worthy performances, we just wanted to see them duke it out in the dreamworld then in the real world. Everything else was incidental. I'm just so glad I got the chance to see it in theaters.

Worth watching?

Old 06-04-2014, 04:36 AM   #29
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

I think Clockwork Orange is Kubrick's best movie.

I love Avatar and Titanic.

I'm 'meh' on Inception and Batman Begins.

I think First Class is the best X-Men movie (by a distance).

Old 06-04-2014, 08:27 AM   #30
Green Goblin
The Nostalga Strikes Back

Just my 2 cents on what has been said.

Titanic and Avatar are great. It's not being in high school that was unnessesary, it was the origin. High school was explored for 30 mins and done like it was the Ditko era.

The series obviously will have similaritys to Raimi, but Riddle me this, could it possibly be because they are both based on Spider-Man? ASM2 and the first are not perfect but they are not "ripping off" other films more than any other franchise is.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
There has been an awakening, have you felt it?
Old 06-04-2014, 09:58 AM   #31
Blitzkrieg Bop
The Dark Side

Freddy vs. Jason was the first event movie of my life. I still remember seeing it in theaters. I loved it, watched it a bunch of times on DVD. Haven't really seen it in years, but it will always hold a special place for me.

Only thing that I don't like is that Freddy gets one kill. One kill? Seriously?

Old 06-04-2014, 10:45 AM   #32
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump

Nice avatar. Louise from 'Bob's Burgers' is my favorite show at the moment, and I read your entire post in her voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow_22 View Post
Look for reports of mysterious heroism in the next 6 years. Then check back on this thread
H.E

Hail Hypedra!!!
Old 06-04-2014, 11:39 AM   #33
Schlosser85
Watchful Protector
SHH! Global Moderator

I love Avatar and think Titanic is meh except for the portrayal of the sinking.

Movie Review Site:

H.E.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:53 AM   #34
KevanG
Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
Worth watching?
You're asking if you should watch it? Probably, just on the fact it's two slasher movie icons meeting up for the first time. If you're a fan of either series then you'll be happy to see it as it lets them both shine. If you like both then it's amazing.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:57 AM   #35
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post
I love Avatar and think Titanic is meh except for the portrayal of the sinking.
Same here.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:01 PM   #36
KevanG
Brony

Never saw Avatar and never really wanted to. Saw Titanic and it was alright, the sinking was well done though.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:58 PM   #37
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevanG View Post

I agree, and I'm also glad my wife and I saw it in the theater. It cracks me up when so many people were trashing it. I would just think to myself, 'yeah, because so many other slasher films are great horror movies'.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:59 PM   #38
Blitzkrieg Bop
The Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ's Ulcer View Post
Nice avatar. Louise from 'Bob's Burgers' is my favorite show at the moment, and I read your entire post in her voice.
Then maybe I should change it to Tina since I'm a guy.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:21 PM   #39
XtremelyBaneful
...it would be, for you.

Avatar was not that good, definitely did not deserve an oscar nomination, and was nothing but eye candy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post

the very name "Xbox One" = the original Xbox.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:23 PM   #40
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

I love Rose's character arc in Titantic, and I love that Jack saves her (from suicide) and then Rose saves Jack from drowning when chained up. To this day I still think both of them could fit on that plank of wood, it was huge.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:24 PM   #41
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremelyBaneful View Post
Avatar was not that good, definitely did not deserve an oscar nomination, and was nothing but eye candy.
You could say the same about Gravity.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:24 PM   #42
Tron Bonne
Revolution in Ink

I guess I'll go against the grain and say FVJ sucked. I really didn't like it much.

Quote:
I like 'Freddy VS Jason.' It's not a good movie per se, but it's a very entertaining one. And let's be honest, only Nightmare 1, 3 (Dream Warriors) and New Nightmare were any good in the first place. And all the Fridays sucked, except maybe the very first one. So I don't understand why all the critics pick on F Vs J. It even had a cool rip-off of Jay from the View Askew universe.

At any rate, it's much better than the other early 00's crossover film Aliens VS Predator, which tried to make the Predators the heroes and toned everything down to a soft PG-13.
What? No way, it was actually a pretty decent franchise up until like six. That's like 3 times as many good Nightmare movies (because Dream Warriors kind of sucks, too). Though none of those Fridays was as good as the original Nightmare and New Nightmare, but still.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:26 PM   #43
XtremelyBaneful
...it would be, for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
You could say the same about Gravity.
I didn't see gravity yet but did it have a cliche as **** plot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post

the very name "Xbox One" = the original Xbox.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:29 PM   #44
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremelyBaneful View Post
I didn't see gravity yet but did it have a cliche as **** plot?
If you haven't seen it I wont spoil it but all I will say is when she says her backstory I rolled my eyes and that hit you over the head with it again and again in the most heavy handed manner possible. At least Avatar doesn't pretend to be anything more than entertainment.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:35 PM   #45
Green Goblin
The Nostalga Strikes Back

Gravity is very boring. Good CGI and suspence but between that it could put me to sleep.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
There has been an awakening, have you felt it?
Old 06-04-2014, 02:37 PM   #46
Tron Bonne
Revolution in Ink

Gravity and Avatar aren't comparable outside they both are very tech heavy. Avatar uses very traditional and standard storytelling, and Gravity is very much an old school analogy. It doesn't even really pretend to be a story, it's pure symbolism.

Anyway, I saw The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, and I enjoyed it. Not sure if that's unpopular or not, because it seemed to fly under the radar. I know it got a lot of criticism for product placement, which is deserved somewhat, but it was integrated so well into the narrative it didn't even occur to me that I was being advertised to.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:43 PM   #47
HauntedKnight
Side-Kick

Quote:
I like 'Freddy VS Jason.' It's not a good movie per se, but it's a very entertaining one. And let's be honest, only Nightmare 1, 3 (Dream Warriors) and New Nightmare were any good in the first place. And all the Fridays sucked, except maybe the very first one. So I don't understand why all the critics pick on F Vs J. It even had a cool rip-off of Jay from the View Askew universe.

At any rate, it's much better than the other early 00's crossover film Aliens VS Predator, which tried to make the Predators the heroes and toned everything down to a soft PG-13.
Don't knock Nightmare 4, that was my favorite after 1.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:57 PM   #48
CyclopsWasRight
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

I enjoyed Jason Takes Manhattan

Old 06-04-2014, 07:03 PM   #49
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
I enjoyed Jason Takes Manhattan

That movie was one of the biggest cases of false advertisement. He was on that boat 90-95% of the movie and didn't walk around Manhattan until the very end.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:10 PM   #50
-Arya-
Batman v Superman - 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post

That movie was one of the biggest cases of false advertisement. He was on that boat 90-95% of the movie and didn't walk around Manhattan until the very end.
I liked the F13 movies when I was younger, but if I were to watch any of them now, I probably won't be able to sit through most of it.

Freddy vs. Jason might be the exception.

Closed Thread