The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > The Cutting Room Floor

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 07:43 PM   #51
KevanG
Brony

Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - Part 19

For the F13 movies I like 3, 8 and X (for cheese factor). For NOES I like 1,3,4,6 (for cheese factor again ) and NN.

Many for both are a swing and a miss

but we love them for what they are. If you don't like them then just

Deadly Premonition - The best horror game you've never played.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:11 PM   #52
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - Part 19

I enjoy the ENTIRE Friday franchise. Yes. ALL OF THEM. They are perfect beer and pizza kind of movies.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:14 PM   #53
-Arya-
Batman v Superman - 2016

^ this is true. If I am working up a buzz and eating pizza, then hell yes!

Old 06-04-2014, 10:27 PM   #54
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

The first Friday is a classic.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:35 PM   #55
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Meh.

H.E.(R?)
Old 06-05-2014, 01:02 AM   #56
spiderman2
Side-Kick

hear is a new one that looks like a lot of people don't agree with. Asm2 is by far the second best Spider man movie and is the 4th best CBM ever and the movie is way way less chessy then sm 1-3 or even asm1 for that matter.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:38 AM   #57
StarLord
Blood Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post

That movie was one of the biggest cases of false advertisement. He was on that boat 90-95% of the movie and didn't walk around Manhattan until the very end.
Most of the back alley scenes were shot in Canada too, so Manhatten actually appeared for like 1% of the movie.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:31 PM   #58
The Endless
WE are Groot

The Friday movies are trash. But that is what they are intended as. Exploitation trash that doesn't take itself too seriously.

That's why i didn't like the new one. It was trying to be serious and was less fun and more mean spirited.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:23 PM   #59
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
The Friday movies are trash. But that is what they are intended as. Exploitation trash that doesn't take itself too seriously.

That's why i didn't like the new one. It was trying to be serious and was less fun and more mean spirited.
I don't see this at all. If anything it's more tongue-in-cheek than most other entries in the series as it deliberately plays into the cliches the past films constantly dealt with. The first 4 Fridays are mostly played straight. The 5th and 6th have a playfulness, the 7th and 8th went back to being serious and the 9th only mildly hints at the franchises cliches. Jason X is a massive, purposeful campfest and Freddy vs. Jason is played straight as well.

The majority of the series is played straight. Friday 2 and 4 are especially mean spirited.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:27 PM   #60
The Endless
WE are Groot

Hmmm i dunno. Maybe it's just me not being able to take them seriously then haha.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:54 PM   #61
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarLord View Post
Most of the back alley scenes were shot in Canada too, so Manhatten actually appeared for like 1% of the movie.
I'm about to faint from all the lies I was told as a child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman2 View Post
Asm2 is by far the second best Spider man movie and the movie is way way less chessy then sm 1-3 or even asm1 for that matter.
I agree for the most part, except I wouldn't use what I put in bold to describe the cheesiness in Raimi's films.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:55 PM   #62
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Canada, the H1-B of Hollywood.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:15 PM   #63
Tron Bonne
Revolution in Ink

I honestly feel like Friday the 13th holds up pretty well in comparison to a lot of the other slasher franchises. Almost all of them had a good beginning movie with mostly junk sequels. I'd say the first five Friday movies are fairly good. It's not really until we get to the sixth movie that the series just turns to ****.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:23 PM   #64
Blitzkrieg Bop
The Dark Side

I like to think the series became self aware. I mean, Jason fights a damn telekinetic girl.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:24 PM   #65
Tron Bonne
Revolution in Ink

I don't know, I think it just got bad. Part VI remains, to me, amongst the worst films ever made.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:27 PM   #66
Blitzkrieg Bop
The Dark Side

Wow, Jason Lives is usually ranked in the top few of "best of" lists. I grew up watching the series countless times on TV and DVD so I have a real soft spot for them. Except 9, **** 9.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:30 PM   #67
Tron Bonne
Revolution in Ink

That's crazy. That movie is like complete garbage. I watched the big Friday the 13th collection they released a few years ago back-to-back in order, and I was staggered by the dip in quality when I got to VI.

Quote:
Old 06-05-2014, 07:30 PM   #68
-Arya-
Batman v Superman - 2016

Jason X is the most horrid movie in the series for me, with part 9 not far behind it.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:41 PM   #69
Blitzkrieg Bop
The Dark Side

9 is the worst for me for it's completely stupid plot. Soul worm? What the **** is that?

Old 06-05-2014, 08:03 PM   #70
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

Jason X is freakin' hilarious. I adore it.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:13 PM   #71
KevanG
Brony

9 is terrible as from a story standpoint it just destroys the entire mythos of the series and makes Jason some of of parasitic hell worm or something. From a movie standpoint it makes less sense than previous ones since it's all over the place and doesn't have much consistency.

Deadly Premonition - The best horror game you've never played.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:22 PM   #72
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron Bonne View Post
That's crazy. That movie is like complete garbage. I watched the big Friday the 13th collection they released a few years ago back-to-back in order, and I was staggered by the dip in quality when I got to VI.
You're in the extreme minority then. Not saying you're wrong, but among fans it's considered up there with part 1 and 4 as the crown jewel of the series.

And what do you mean "dip in quality"? Technically, it's a lot slicker and polished looking than the first 5. Well, 5 is more clean looking, but 6 is by far the most slick and well produced of the first 8 movies.

Last edited by GremlinZilla89; 06-05-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:28 PM   #73
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

All of my friends vent about him, but, I think Keanu Reeves is an okay actor. He has not done anything groundbreaking, but, listening to my friends, you'd expect he's at the Tommy Wiseau level of horribleness. I've always liked his films, and was disappointed we did not get a Constantine sequel with him.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
Old 06-05-2014, 08:29 PM   #74
Travesty
TEOL

He's not bad, it's just easy to make fun of his "whoa" moments, but he's ok.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:31 PM   #75
Tron Bonne
Revolution in Ink

Quote:
You're in the extreme minority then. Not saying you're wrong, but among fans it's considered up there with part 1 and 4 as the crown jewel of the series.

And what do you mean "dip in quality"? Technically, it's a lot slicker and polished looking than the first 5.
I meant dip in quality as in sucked a lot more than what came before? I wasn't talking about technical aspects in anything I wrote.

Quote:
Closed Thread