The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > The Cutting Room Floor

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 03:52 PM   #101
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.

Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - Part 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremelyBaneful View Post
No I ain't, buddy. Avatar is the highest grossing film of all time and I'm pretty sure that the general consensus is that it is one of the greatest films of all time also. It got the oscar nomination for crying out loud.

Avatar didn't HAVE to pretend. It got all the attention it wanted.
That's definitely not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Mrs. Sawyer will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:11 PM   #102
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - Part 19

X-Men First Class, while very enjoyable, is easily one of the most over-praised CBMs talked about on the Hype.

H.E.(R?)
Old 06-06-2014, 09:15 PM   #103
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

It is. I liked what Vaughn did but it wasn't masterpiece material either.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:32 PM   #104
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
X-Men First Class, while very enjoyable, is easily one of the most over-praised CBMs talked about on the Hype.
I agree.

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/bipolar/id867778921

Old 06-06-2014, 09:37 PM   #105
Blitzkrieg Bop
The Dark Side

First Class is the best X-Men movie.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:04 PM   #106
KevanG
Brony

Quote:
You have to remember that it's usually being compared to X3 and Origins so it's going to look far better than it would on its own.

Deadly Premonition - The best horror game you've never played.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:45 PM   #107
XtremelyBaneful
...it would be, for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
That's definitely not true.
It's got an 83% on RT and an 83 on MC. And whenever the topic is discussed with people I feel like the oddball for not being in ****ing love with the movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post

the very name "Xbox One" = the original Xbox.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:16 PM   #108
DyeLorean
Cinemaphonic Quadrovision

For all the big tests First Class had to pass (following X3, with a whole new cast, set in a different era, etc) it did a pretty remarkable job. Is not the best comic book movie ever, but it had to do a lot of things, and it did most of them right. It worked very well.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:20 PM   #109
KevanG
Brony

It did show that you can cast someone other than Patrick Stewart as Prof X and Ian McKellan as Magneto and get away with it.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:23 PM   #110
Harry Dresden
Side-Kick

X-Men: First Class is the greatest X-Men movie.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:24 PM   #111
DyeLorean
Cinemaphonic Quadrovision

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevanG View Post
It did show that you can cast someone other than Patrick Stewart as Prof X and Ian McKellan as Magneto and get away with it.
Exactly, it was a breath of fresh air also. Seeing how this two characters were at one point. McAvoy and Fassbender are the glue that hold that movie together.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:34 PM   #112
KevanG
Brony

I want to watch FC again.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:48 PM   #113
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Dresden View Post

H.E.(R?)
Old 06-07-2014, 12:39 AM   #114
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Quote:
Thank you.

It's a very good CBM no doubt, and considering this was made in less than a year, they did a damn good job. But people really, really praise it to the point where I feel like I'm missing something. I saw it twice in theaters to find that. Didn't do much more for me.

I watched it for the first time since theaters a couple weeks ago in preparation for DOFP, and I still haven't changed on it. People talk about it like it's one of the greatest comic book films ever. It ain't all that special besides McAvoy and Dat Fass.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:02 AM   #115
Schlosser85
Watchful Protector
SHH! Global Moderator

The best part of FC is Fassbender, and I prefer him over McKellen as Magneto.

Movie Review Site:

H.E.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:33 AM   #116
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Dresden View Post
It's the one I can rewatch the most, that's for sure. Just brimming with creativity, great acting and retro awesomeness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow_22 View Post
Look for reports of mysterious heroism in the next 6 years. Then check back on this thread
H.E

Hail Hypedra!!!
Old 06-07-2014, 04:47 AM   #117
JaD
Thriller Night

"Dat Fass"

That's hilarious

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today."
James Dean
Old 06-07-2014, 05:59 AM   #118
The Endless
WE are Groot

McAvoy and "Dat Fass" definitely make First Class as great as it is. Bacon's Shaw is pretty awesome too.

But yea, i think it's kinda overrated. The kids, all of them, especially Lawrence, are infuriatingly annoying. Seriously. Every single one of them should have died.

Vaughn is a talented director though. I like how it was paced and edited. Some really cool action scenes as well. The part where Azezel was dropping ****ers from the sky was awesome. The tension was really well built there. And the part where Magneto lifted the submarine out of the water was pretty epic. But the score was a bit too overblown and obnoxious.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:31 AM   #119
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
McAvoy and "Dat Fass" definitely make First Class as great as it is. Bacon's Shaw is pretty awesome too.

But yea, i think it's kinda overrated. The kids, all of them, especially Lawrence, are infuriatingly annoying. Seriously. Every single one of them should have died.

Vaughn is a talented director though. I like how it was paced and edited. Some really cool action scenes as well. The part where Azezel was dropping ****ers from the sky was awesome. The tension was really well built there. And the part where Magneto lifted the submarine out of the water was pretty epic. But the score was a bit too overblown and obnoxious.
DOFP spoiler:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
You pretty much got your wish in Days of Future Past with the kids who died..

Anyway, I like X-Men First Class, but not as much after repeat viewings. The kids are pretty useless, and the acting, especially by January Jones (who I can't even watch scenes with her anymore because she's that terrible), can be weak at times. Also, I wish it kept up the gritty tone of the Argentina Bar scene.

After I watched it, I thought it was the best X-Men movie, but after repeat viewing and watch X2, I find X2 to be a more polished that does more things right than X-Men First Class (source material and continuity issues aside).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Mrs. Sawyer will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:34 AM   #120
The Endless
WE are Groot

Ahh yea i've seen DofP. Which was much better. But i wanted the kids to die within minutes of being introduced to them. They were so annoying and unnatural.

The part where Raven is like "We'll call you Professor X and you Magneto!" actually made me squirm in my seat. I felt kinda embarrassed. Same with the whole "mutant and proud" thing. **** off will ya haha.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:13 AM   #121
Double B
Side-Kick

FC is down there with TLS for me. Overrated, cheesy, with a dreadful script.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:54 PM   #122
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

21 Jump Street's theme song was so epic.

~SHH SIX~
Old 06-07-2014, 01:20 PM   #123
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

Here's a doozy.....

I really like the first G.I. Joe film.

I rented it on DVD when it came out just for the s--ts and giggles. I wasn't expecting to like it because of the almost universal hatred, but I found myself having a really fun time with it.

Some of the CGI is REALLY bad and I won't defend some of the cringe-inducing dialogue but what can I say other than it was just a fun ride.

What I think makes it work is that it's not pretentious like the Transformers films. It doesn't pretend to be this big, epic action film. Sommers even stated that he makes what he likes and you wouldn't catch him even doing some small drama or something like that. I can respect his honesty and just wanting to deliver simple fun. Some crappy CGI aside, the action is really fun and entertaining and the film doesn't overstay it's welcome. It never forgets it's based off an 80s cartoon and runs with that aesthetic.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:26 PM   #124
SuperFerret
King of the Urban Jungle

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
First Class is the best X-Men movie.
I agree.

With both of you.

Dun dun DUN!

Old 06-07-2014, 01:28 PM   #125
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinZilla89 View Post
Here's a doozy.....

I really like the first G.I. Joe film.

I rented it on DVD when it came out just for the s--ts and giggles. I wasn't expecting to like it because of the almost universal hatred, but I found myself having a really fun time with it.

Some of the CGI is REALLY bad and I won't defend some of the cringe-inducing dialogue but what can I say other than it was just a fun ride.

What I think makes it work is that it's not pretentious like the Transformers films. It doesn't pretend to be this big, epic action film. Sommers even stated that he makes what he likes and you wouldn't catch him even doing some small drama or something like that. I can respect his honesty and just wanting to deliver simple fun. Some crappy CGI aside, the action is really fun and entertaining and the film doesn't overstay it's welcome. It never forgets it's based off an 80s cartoon and runs with that aesthetic.

~SHH SIX~
Closed Thread