The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

View Poll Results: Should Batman v Superman end on a Cliffhanger?
Yes 15 53.57%
No 9 32.14%
I Don't Know 4 14.29%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2014, 03:52 AM   #1
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Default Should Batman v Superman end on a Cliffhanger?

Given on how we somewhat know that Snyder will be tasked with directing the "Justice League" film after he finishes up with "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice", do you guys feel that the latter the film (Dawn of Justice) should end on a cliffhanger that'll take us into "Justice League"?

There have been quite a few films that have taken this route, ranging from the Lord of the Rings/Hobbit Trilogy to the Pirates Franchise for example.

Or, would you guys prefer for Batman v Superman to have a conclusive/definitive ending to the narrative that it presents, while only planting seeds for the Justice League film?

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:43 AM   #2
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Default Re: Should Batman v Superman end on a Cliffhanger?

I personally don't want a cliffhanger going into the Justice League. Tie all things up that occurs in this film while hinting at Justice League.

Fallen Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:49 AM   #3
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
I personally don't want a cliffhanger going into the Justice League. Tie all things up that occurs in this film while hinting at Justice League.
Because he doesn't want to pay to see another sequel. Look, cliffhangers have been a part of comics and a part of cinema since the dawn of the silent movies, and a part of story telling since the Oddessy. It worked very well with films like "Star Wars, Episode V: the Empire Strikes Back" and should work well with Batman v Superman should they employ it.

Last edited by dnno1; 07-13-2014 at 11:33 AM.
dnno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:30 AM   #4
BatmanVSuperman
Gothopolis

Yes the cliffhanger would be obvious, but it could still be cool.

BatmanVSuperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:40 AM   #5
Hazarddude
Disclaimer: Not a dude.

A cliffhanger would be awesome. If it turns out BvS isn't a true MOS sequel, it would be cool is the movie could end with Doomsday trying to break out of those cuffs while intense cliff hanger music is playing the background!

Hazarddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:45 AM   #6
dhandler01
Super High Five

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post
Because he doesn't want to pay to see another sequel. Look, cliffhangers have been a part of comics and a part of cinema since the dawn of the silent movies, and a part of story telling since the Oddessy. It worked very well with films like "Star Wars, Episode V: the Empire Strikes Back" and should work well with Batman v Superman should they employ it.
Yes but the cliffhanger at the end of Empire isnt the same as say the cliffhanger at the end of Hobbit 2: The Search For More Money. The narrative story of Empire was over but obviously still lead into Jedi.

If you are talking about a cliffhanger as a tease then yes. If you are talking about a cliffhanger where you have to watch one of the movies to understand the others then no. If the Trinity defeat the foes in this movie but then someone teases something bigger on the horizon (like Geoff Johns does in every one of his big storylines) then it will work to perfection. If it is something like Darkseid shows up and his minions take Superman during the battle and then they leave then no. That is where Hobbit 2 failed epicly. You have this whole buildup to Smaug, you get 10 minutes of him taunting Bilbo and the Dwarves and then he flies off and fade to black. So lame...

BvS should be a standalone movie, something that has a complete narrative while still leading into JL. Maybe have them defeat whoever Lex has ready to fight but then have Lex afterwards licking his wounds in front of a computer talking to Brainiac. Maybe have someone tease Apokolips or the rise of Atlantis...tease further adventures after the completion of this adventure.

dhandler01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:47 AM   #7
Rowsdower!
Zoom Zoom Zoom

If it does, I hope it's not a cliffhanger like the end of the last Hobbit movie, where it feels like they just cut the movie off prematurely.

Maybe that's not a totally fair comparison since it's technically the second part of one story and not a sequel, but ever since that, I'm wary whenever I hear the term cliffhanger.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:56 AM   #8
roach
I am the night

I think...

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:57 AM   #9
Rowsdower!
Zoom Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
I think...

Don't keep us in suspense!

Nicely done.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:58 AM   #10
BatmanVSuperman
Gothopolis

Did you guys like TAS2 battle at end with Rhino used as a semi-cliffhanger?

Old 07-13-2014, 12:00 PM   #11
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Don't keep us in suspense!

Nicely done.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:18 PM   #12
storyteller
Side-Kick

I want each film to be a complete story. Now complete stories don't need end there.

Its time to be a man..................and run away.
storyteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:20 PM   #13
Hazarddude
Disclaimer: Not a dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
I think...

Hazarddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:50 PM   #14
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhandler01 View Post
Yes but the cliffhanger at the end of Empire isnt the same as say the cliffhanger at the end of Hobbit 2: The Search For More Money. The narrative story of Empire was over but obviously still lead into Jedi.

If you are talking about a cliffhanger as a tease then yes. If you are talking about a cliffhanger where you have to watch one of the movies to understand the others then no. If the Trinity defeat the foes in this movie but then someone teases something bigger on the horizon (like Geoff Johns does in every one of his big storylines) then it will work to perfection. If it is something like Darkseid shows up and his minions take Superman during the battle and then they leave then no. That is where Hobbit 2 failed epicly. You have this whole buildup to Smaug, you get 10 minutes of him taunting Bilbo and the Dwarves and then he flies off and fade to black. So lame...

BvS should be a standalone movie, something that has a complete narrative while still leading into JL. Maybe have them defeat whoever Lex has ready to fight but then have Lex afterwards licking his wounds in front of a computer talking to Brainiac. Maybe have someone tease Apokolips or the rise of Atlantis...tease further adventures after the completion of this adventure.
First of all, the cliffhanger at the end of "Star Wars, Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back" led everyone to believe that there had to be a resolution to the story. We found out that Darth Vader was Luke's father, and that there was another (whom was revealed to be Laura, but was not certain). We (the moviegoers at the time, which I was a part of) also wanted to know what the fate of Han Solo would be. Would he forever be trapped in carbonite, or would he eventually get rescued? Secondly, there are different types of cliffhangers. They can get a way with what they did in "The Hobbit 2" because most of the audience watching the film have probably read the book and know what comes next. Ending the film abruptly in the middle of a climactic scene was done to bait them into coming to the next film. It still works in the same way. I never said that there was only one preferred way to make a cliffhanger. My opinion, though is that if they want to use the cliffhanger in BvSDOJ, it would be better to cameo the different heroes in cliffhanging scenes. That way it could potentially spawn interest in these characters solo or subsequent team-up film. Yes, I am talking about using the cliffhanger as a tease. I always was.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:53 PM   #15
Rorschach2012
$

End BvS with the Death of Superman and the formation of the Justice League. plant some seeds for Darkseid in JL too

Rorschach2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:03 PM   #16
BatmanVSuperman
Gothopolis

Could they skip the Death of Superman storyline as they know fans are expecting it?

Old 07-13-2014, 03:17 PM   #17
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
End BvS with the Death of Superman and the formation of the Justice League. plant some seeds for Darkseid in JL too
No, end BvS with the formation of the Justice League, but put this scene in as one of the cliffhangers:

We'll get the message. You also want to place cameo/cliffhanger scenes like these at the end of the film:

Last edited by dnno1; 07-13-2014 at 03:21 PM.
dnno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:38 PM   #18
dhandler01
Super High Five

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post
No, end BvS with the formation of the Justice League, but put this scene in as one of the cliffhangers:

We'll get the message. You also want to place cameo/cliffhanger scenes like these at the end of the film:
Yup...dont waste the DOS on BvS is is contrived and lame. It will literally have no resonance.

Plus a Justice League without Superman as a founding member is no Justice League I want to see.

FYI I wasnt attacking you before just explaining my position deeper. People seem hung up on the idea of cutting the story off (especially DOS) to bait people in to see Justice League. They will see it anyways they dont need baiting. Your posts mirror my thinking

dhandler01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:56 PM   #19
Stringer
CHAMPS AGAIN!

It's fine as long as the story is complete and then something happens at the very end to set up the next movie. Superman dying at the end of BvS setting up his return to form the Justice League is a pretty good cliffhanger.

"We dem lil bald headed b****es on the chessboard"- Bodie Broadus
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:06 PM   #20
Rodrigo90
Bat Smiles

Batman, Wonder Woman and whoever else involved, creating the JL in Superman's honour would be pretty beautiful actually.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:55 PM   #21
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
Batman, Wonder Woman and whoever else involved, creating the JL in Superman's honour would be pretty beautiful actually.
I don't think Superman dying (permanently) is going to help the franchise any (least not at this point in time when they just rebooted it).

Old 07-13-2014, 04:59 PM   #22
Rodrigo90
Bat Smiles

Not, permanently dead.

Heck, the cliffhanger could be showing Supes' grave empty

Old 07-13-2014, 05:02 PM   #23
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

No.

Historically, cliffhangers in films are markers to bad quality. The exception to the rule is Empire Strikes Back, and I highly doubt that we will ever have a comic book film on the same level of quality, so no.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:08 PM   #24
Rodrigo90
Bat Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
No.

Historically, cliffhangers in films are markers to bad quality. The exception to the rule is Empire Strikes Back, and I highly doubt that we will ever have a comic book film on the same level of quality, so no.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:09 PM   #25
BatmanVSuperman
Gothopolis

It should end with Superman saving a kitten from a tree.