The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 12:59 AM   #76
Magic Man
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Wonder Woman Costume Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
Then what's the fine line between looking like an American flag and looking like other nations that also use red, blue, and stars?
I understand your point. And of course, America is relatively a young nation and when designing the US flag, the forefathers surely studied other nations' flags...which is why there are so many other older countries with similar American colors and stars, etc.

My main thing is any clothing spangled in stars looks campy. Fine, on a flag. Not on a uniform (my one exception is when Donna Troy wore the black/white uniform, it had stars everywhere but it looked like the cosmos, which was sorta cool, IMO).

Also, I prefer that this live-action Diana is loyal to no other country except Themyscira. If she mainly lives in DC or London, I can buy that. Especially if she's (eventually) residing in a Themysciran embassy--like in Rucka's run. I hope she is truly an international figure. Scenes of her addressing the United Nations. Cut to an audience with Queen Elizabeth. A meeting with the US President, followed by reporters' questions in the Rose Garden. Then visiting the Middle East and Asian countries, etc.

The story possibilities of making her an official ambassador are endless, AND differentiates her from all the other onscreen heroes. Bottom line: I want Diana to be unique. I almost feel like she has this one shot to make an impact and if they blow it, there goes our chances for a solo trilogy.

So a lot is resting on the costume choice, which will inform her backstory and her role in the wide world. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by Magic Man; 06-08-2014 at 01:02 AM.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:01 AM   #77
The Slang
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
I so am hoping for a variety of options at this point, either in BvS or JL. The varied concepts floating around here prove that you can do a lot with just the classic colors and motifs for many interesting looks.

And call this sexist if you must, but to me WW is like Gaga, Beyonce, Debbie Harry, Streisand, Angelina Jolie, Margaret Thatcher, Madame Currie and Mother Theresa all rolled into one times ten. Other than the nun on the list, do any of these women seem like the type to wear ONE outfit every day?

That's a really strange list. I don't think I'd associate any of those women with Wonderwoman. Not one of them was a warrior, you picked mostly musicians, a physicist and Mother Theresa who was actually a total ***** despite her good reputation.

But I don't mind the idea of her wearing multiple outfits.

Old 06-08-2014, 01:05 AM   #78
Magic Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelsheen View Post
make the stars more 3D-ish and this would be good to go.
Yeah, I would love this battle skirt if the stars were metallic and raised. I dig the weatherbeaten look (the black scuff marks on blue leather). It looks like she's waged warfare in this and that's a good thing, IMO.

Old 06-08-2014, 01:18 AM   #79
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slang View Post
That's a really strange list. I don't think I'd associate any of those women with Wonderwoman. Not one of them was a warrior, you picked mostly musicians, a physicist and Mother Theresa who was actually a total ***** despite her good reputation.

But I don't mind the idea of her wearing multiple outfits.
All those women in the real world either were or are at the top of their game in their respective fields, have had immense impact culturally and even politically. And... None of that strikes you as at all similar to how a Super Hero Celebrity Warrior Princess might be in the real world in any way?

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:48 AM   #80
The Slang
Side-Kick

*Gaga is a living fad who relies on theatrics, voice modulation and her body to make a name for herself.
*Beyonce is 'meh' for me. She also relies on her body a lot, but she's more talented than Gaga.
*Debbie Harry is a punk rocker whom I'm not that familiar with, but she looks extremely high in every picture I've found.
*Streisand is huge when it comes to jewish women and gay men, but she nearly destroyed the town of South Park.
*Angelina Jolie is a nutcase, but she might actually have the most in common with wonder woman considering that she's been known to play 'tough chicks', sleep with knives and believes in magic.
*Margaret Thatcher was the first female prime minister of great Britain which is admirable I guess. Aside from being a woman in a leadership position, I don't really see any similarities. She was no Amazon.
*Madame Currie was a physicist, which seems pretty far from Wonder Woman's area of expertise. She contributed greatly to our understanding of radioactivity. She was mild mannered, very well educated and scientifically inclined. Not traits I associate with Wonder Woman.
*Mother Theresa was a delusional sadist who intentionally prolonged the suffering of those in her care because she thought that it was bringing her closer to Jesus and an understanding of the universe.

Old 06-08-2014, 01:54 AM   #81
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
*Gaga is a living fad who relies on theatrics, voice modulation and her body to make a name for herself.
*Beyonce is 'meh' for me. She also relies on her body a lot, but she's more talented than Gaga.
*Debbie Harry is a punk rocker whom I'm not that familiar with, but she looks extremely high in every picture I've found.
*Streisand is huge when it comes to jewish women and gay men, but she nearly destroyed the town of South Park.
*Angelina Jolie is a nutcase, but she might actually have the most in common with wonder woman considering that she's been known to play 'tough chicks', sleep with knives and believes in magic.
*Margaret Thatcher was the first female prime minister of great Britain which is admirable I guess. Aside from being a woman in a leadership position, I don't really see any similarities. She was no Amazon.
*Madame Currie was a physicist, which seems pretty far from Wonder Woman's area of expertise. She contributed greatly to our understanding of radioactivity. She was mild mannered, very well educated and scientifically inclined. Not traits I associate with Wonder Woman.
*Mother Theresa was a delusional sadist who intentionally prolonged the suffering of those in her care because she thought that it was bringing her closer to Jesus and an understanding of the universe.
Wow. That's the most pretty shallow evaluation of each and every one of those people imaginable. Of course they all have their flaws. (Every one of them has their blind spots and I am not in total agreement with ANY of them in terms of public image or ideology or what they choose or chose to represent, but seriously kid... Sophomoric Elitism is never as clever as it thinks it is.)

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:00 AM   #82
anonomissx
Testy chick from Vegas

Quote:
Wow. That's the most pretty shallow evaluation of each and every one of those people imaginable. Of course they all have their flaws. (Every one of them has their blind spots and I am not in total agreement with ANY of them in terms of public image or ideology or what they choose or chose to represent, but seriously kid... Sophomoric Elitism is never as clever as it thinks it is.)
Thank you! I had to just...not respond. And in the age of google, stating ignorance of a referenced person...Lazy Sophmoric Elitism

Old 06-08-2014, 02:04 AM   #83
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonomissx View Post
Thank you! I had to just...not respond. And in the age of google, stating ignorance of a referenced person...Lazy Sophmoric Elitism
Don't thank me... (rises into the air as the Williams theme plays) We're all on the same team. (salutes) Good night.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:04 AM   #84
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
I think you took things way more literally than Krypton intended. All of these people are admirable in some way. They're women who have carved their own way through the world...much like WW.

\S/T*
Old 06-08-2014, 02:06 AM   #85
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKent26 View Post
I think you took things way more literally than Krypton intended. All of these people are admirable in some way. They're women who have carved their own way through the world...much like WW.
Well seeing as there actually AREN'T any Amazon Warrior Princesses to reference in the REAL WORLD, I guess I came up short in some ways.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:11 AM   #86
haephestus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Man View Post
I hope she is truly an international figure. Scenes of her addressing the United Nations. Cut to an audience with Queen Elizabeth. A meeting with the US President, followed by reporters' questions in the Rose Garden. Then visiting the Middle East and Asian countries, etc.
I'm hoping for Themsyciran Ambassador and international peace-keeper Wonder Woman as well. But, we may not see that aspect of Princess Diana in DoJ or Justice League.

It might need to wait until a solo Wonder Woman film or perhaps, if DC choose to differentiate themselves from Marvel, a team-up movie with Aquaman and Wonder Woman which could examine some of the issues they face in integrating their respective king/queendoms into "man's world".

Old 06-08-2014, 02:16 AM   #87
MrsKent26
Whatever.

^ I think WW and Aquaman would make a great match for a movie. Conflicts and friendships between their lands (seas?) would be interesting.

\S/T*
Old 06-08-2014, 02:19 AM   #88
The Slang
Side-Kick

Quote:
They weren't evaluations, rather explanations for why I don't associate them with Wonder Woman. Obviously any description of a person confined to a single sentence is going to sound shallow, but a few of them were obviously tongue in cheek (streisand and the south park reference) and what I wrote about Thatcher and Currie was only a brief description of their achievements. It's not like I pointed out their faults, so I don't see how I'm a shallow elitist.

The two examples of yours I took most issue with were Gaga and Mother Theresa, for the reasons I described.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:19 AM   #89
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

I have thought for a long time that the "hidden societies" of the DCU should have their own sort of mutual protection pact. The Amazons, Atlantis, Nanda Parbat, Skarteris, Gorilla City, ect... They should all be aware of each other and have some kind of diplomatic contact.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:22 AM   #90
The Slang
Side-Kick

Quote:
When it comes to Mother Theresa in particular, I really don't see what's so admirable. Her reputation is undeserved.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:26 AM   #91
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
When it comes to Mother Theresa in particular, I really don't see what's so admirable. Her reputation is undeserved.
I'm no Mother Theresa expert, so maybe you're right.

But that's not really my point. It seemed to me that Krypton was just trying to make the point that WW has many traits (which is why he made that list of different people) and could have multiple outfits for the multiple areas of her life. It wasn't intended for you to focus on the individuals and whether or not you like them.

\S/T*
Old 06-08-2014, 02:28 AM   #92
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Chris Hitchens wasn't right about EVERYTHING and his critique of Theresa was pretty... Well, shallow.

Now looking at fanboii's mockup flag, I'd like to see a platoon of Amazons also with those colors incorporated into their look. Obviously not in the same manner WW's clothing would, but in some way that says "these are the colors of our nation."

Old 06-08-2014, 03:00 AM   #93
The Slang
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm no Mother Theresa expert, so maybe you're right.

But that's not really my point. It seemed to me that Krypton was just trying to make the point that WW has many traits (which is why he made that list of different people) and could have multiple outfits for the multiple areas of her life. It wasn't intended for you to focus on the individuals and whether or not you like them.
Yeah I understand that, and I don't have a personal dislike for all of the individuals Krypton mentioned. I just thought the list was a little lacking and undermining for describing wonder woman, focusing too much on pop stars and big names. Joan of arc and Susan B Anthony are two names I might consider.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:04 AM   #94
MrsKent26
Whatever.

^ Fair enough. Those women you mentioned do have WW-ish qualities.

\S/T*
Old 06-08-2014, 03:46 AM   #95
The Slang
Side-Kick

I like the WW costume in this manip. I think it'd be ok if she wore pants sometimes and a skirt at other times.

Old 06-08-2014, 04:34 AM   #96
Bullseye1
Side-Kick

What's happening with BMs costume there? One of the better WW pants. I like the fact you have left out the unnecessary shoulder straps.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:03 AM   #97
regwec
Shakespearo

Those pants are so tight that they would be almost pornographic. If the crux of the objections to the classic trunks is that they are exploitative, I don't think that seemingly sprayed on yoga pants offer a real solution.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:04 AM   #98
Charlatan
Side-Kick

Quote:

wow. the derp is strong with this one. sounds like you're channeling Rush Limbaugh. I almost expected the word Femnazi to be in there somewhere

Old 06-08-2014, 06:08 AM   #99
Charlatan
Side-Kick

Quote:

I like the WW costume in this manip. I think it'd be ok if she wore pants sometimes and a skirt at other times.
Her head looks odd. still a nice attempt though

Last edited by Charlatan; 06-08-2014 at 06:12 AM.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:11 AM   #100
The Slang
Side-Kick

It's not my manip to be clear.

Closed Thread