Kane52630
ANIMUS VOX

Default Re: The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 4

He's a vampire, so yes.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:29 AM   #102
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue

So I guess he still SUCKS as a reviewer?

Old 06-24-2014, 10:52 AM   #103
Indy1Jones
The Batfleck

I had a crush on Vicki vale when I was three.

Indy1Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:46 AM   #104
Spider-Aziz
HYPE! Community Does That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeiffer-Pfan View Post
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I'm saving this image
And I'm glad I chose to watch the movie again a few days ago
Since I saw it and Returns, I will watch the Shumacher sequels, it's a good time for a Marathon watching these movies

Want to choose me as "Villain of 2014"?
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:46 PM   #105
RakuMon
Side-Kick

I live tweeted the movie last night. If anyone's interested:

http://thenerdsofcolor.org/2014/06/2...9-live-tweets/

SECRET IDENTITIES VOLUME 2: Shattered -- NOW!!! Order Volume One at Amazon today!
RakuMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:29 PM   #106
Doc Ock
1951-2014

I went to the local used bookstore today and picked up the novelization and score! I wasn't looking for it but just stumbled upon it and told myself now is the perfect time, will be rewatching this soon! Possibly tonight, I should of did it yesterday but didn't think of the date.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:25 PM   #107
Kane52630
ANIMUS VOX

Old 06-25-2014, 06:29 PM   #108
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

God, I wish I had been around then and old enough to realize that I've experienced no other live-action Batman than Adam West. Seeing the B89 costume for the first time must have been friggin mind-blowing for those people.

Heterosexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to the Opposite Sex
Homosexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to the Same Sex
Bisexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to Both Sexes
Hype-osexual - A Person More Sexually Excited By CBM Photos/Trailers Than Any Man or Woman Could Ever Hope To Make Them

Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:36 PM   #109
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue

This movie is a triumph of lighting.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:37 PM   #110
regwec
Shakespearo

Heh, yep. I first saw it on VHS at a friend's house when I was seven. It was unlike anything I had seen before: he was like Darth Vader in the way that he effortlessly destroyed his enemies, but he was a good guy! A good guy who hanged baddies by the throat from catwalks and threw others into chemical vats!

We spent the rest of the summer playing "Batman the Movie" on the C64.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:58 AM   #111
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
God, I wish I had been around then and old enough to realize that I've experienced no other live-action Batman than Adam West. Seeing the B89 costume for the first time must have been friggin mind-blowing for those people.
And not just the costume, but Batman in general. It's hard to imagine a time, especially for my generation that was born after this movie's release, that the Adam West show was what the mainstream knew of Batman. I mean look at that news video Kane posted. There's a reason why everyone keeps making those Adam West references, even in relation to the Burton film. That's what people associated with Batman.

So it's pretty incredible to think how this took everyone off guard. Just because the mainstream really knew Batman like this before. Hence the utter shock people had for what the film actually turned to be. We just accept the Batman today, but back then, the notion of Batman was utterly different.

It's just a testament to the film itself in how it managed to suddenly erase all preconceptions of who Batman was. To the extent where it frightened people.

Doctor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:12 AM   #112
DCW
Chief's got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
This movie is a triumph of lighting.
So true!

DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:29 AM   #113
Webhead38
Side-Kick

Quote:
I was 25 when this movie came out and had been a diehard fan of Batman(including Adam West). But what today's generation don't realize is how much the Adam West-era Batman was heavily frowned upon by both critics and fans. There was so much disdain and fear of having any association with that treatment that they wouldn't even consider a cameo by West or Ward in the film. They went to great lengths to explain this would have no connection with what people knew from that television series. Plus you have to keep in mind there were no rubber molded suits before this movie. So people had no idea what they were in for.

Batman '89 really opened the door for an entire industry and essentially broke the riddle on how to conceptualize heroes in "tights". To this day just about every hero who is associated with tights has a rubberized outfit in one form or another. Even Superman has a rubber suit now, although the technology has somewhat shifted in how that is applied. So Batman '89 had not only conceptual challenges, it had cultural challenges (and prejudices) to deal with.

Adding Michael Keaton to the mix really gave it a high stakes feeling as well. I still have the original Wall Street Journal edition that has Michael Keaton's face illustrated along with a story about fans taking out a petition to have him kicked off the production. Thank God Keaton didn't have to contend with internet back then! It was bad enough on the social media of it's day. The saving grace to the whole perception of the project was the fact that Jack Nicholson was attached to the project. His career was at a all time high at that point, so his inclusion did for Batman what Marlon Brando did for the first Superman movie in 1978. It brought legitimacy to the project.

So I'll always have a tremendous love and respect for that first Batman film in '89. There's no telling where the hero industry would be today if that film hadn't opened the door for other franchises to be in vogue as a concept for film. Until Batman '89, the industry still considered this genre to be mostly a B-rated license intended for little kids and under-budgeted television shows. People who love these movies owe much to the Burton/Keaton creation.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:48 AM   #114
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:54 AM   #115
lukebrodyg
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeiffer-Pfan View Post
This also has my favourite ending of any Batman movie... There's something so other-worldly about it.

The epic music and the lead up to the heroic shot you've posted perhaps?

lukebrodyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:27 AM   #116
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead38 View Post
I was 25 when this movie came out and had been a diehard fan of Batman(including Adam West). But what today's generation don't realize is how much the Adam West-era Batman was heavily frowned upon by both critics and fans. There was so much disdain and fear of having any association with that treatment that they wouldn't even consider a cameo by West or Ward in the film. They went to great lengths to explain this would have no connection with what people knew from that television series. Plus you have to keep in mind there were no rubber molded suits before this movie. So people had no idea what they were in for.

Batman '89 really opened the door for an entire industry and essentially broke the riddle on how to conceptualize heroes in "tights". To this day just about every hero who is associated with tights has a rubberized outfit in one form or another. Even Superman has a rubber suit now, although the technology has somewhat shifted in how that is applied. So Batman '89 had not only conceptual challenges, it had cultural challenges (and prejudices) to deal with.

Adding Michael Keaton to the mix really gave it a high stakes feeling as well. I still have the original Wall Street Journal edition that has Michael Keaton's face illustrated along with a story about fans taking out a petition to have him kicked off the production. Thank God Keaton didn't have to contend with internet back then! It was bad enough on the social media of it's day. The saving grace to the whole perception of the project was the fact that Jack Nicholson was attached to the project. His career was at a all time high at that point, so his inclusion did for Batman what Marlon Brando did for the first Superman movie in 1978. It brought legitimacy to the project.

So I'll always have a tremendous love and respect for that first Batman film in '89. There's no telling where the hero industry would be today if that film hadn't opened the door for other franchises to be in vogue as a concept for film. Until Batman '89, the industry still considered this genre to be mostly a B-rated license intended for little kids and under-budgeted television shows. People who love these movies owe much to the Burton/Keaton creation.

Well said.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:00 PM   #117
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
I really liked that Bruce/Vicki relationship. It tends to get overshadowed because of BR, but I like how she was the light to Batman's darkness, while showing that she had an attraction to darkness herself.

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:13 AM   #118
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
I really liked that Bruce/Vicki relationship. It tends to get overshadowed because of BR, but I like how she was the light to Batman's darkness, while showing that she had an attraction to darkness herself.
Indeed. Her background can attest to that, photographing a war zone in Corto Maltese.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:19 AM   #119
Spider-Aziz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead38 View Post
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

It's not often I read a wall of writing in a post, but I did this one, and I'm wondering how Blade movie could have been if not for this movie coming out 9 years before it

Old 06-27-2014, 09:40 AM   #120
Mandon Knight
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yes it was, at the time, no other bat interpretation had been so 'dark', it was a crazy summer....

Mandon Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:37 AM   #121
Spider-Aziz

Entertainment Tonight celebrated the 25th anniversary
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Keifer Sutherland for Robin, the Boy Wonder

Old 06-29-2014, 06:46 AM   #122
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

The 89 suit's still my favorite, but I'm also really liking the Batfleck suit, although I won't be really able to judge it until I get to see it in action.

P.S 89 still has the best live action Batmobile.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:54 AM   #123
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

You should watch Keaton back in 89 on David Letterman promoting the film. Stuff about Nicholson - "let the suit do the work kid" something like that and what a great advice from a wise man.

Two-Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:01 AM   #124
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

Off topic but, Keaton's my pick for old Bruce Wayne if they ever make a live action Batman Beyond film.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:38 AM   #125
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Superman View Post
Off topic but, Keaton's my pick for old Bruce Wayne if they ever make a live action Batman Beyond film.
He's a better fit for a more "grumpy" Bruce Wayne.

I can't see Kilmer or Clooney as older Bruce Waynes. And Bale's version would be too busy sippin some cocktails on a beach somewhere, not giving a **** about Gotham.

Travesty is online now   Reply With Quote