The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 03:26 PM   #76
Bam-Bam
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - Part 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I think the problem with humor and lex, when it comes to films, is that the character hasn't had much luck with that dept and is infamously known for his campy portrayals.
Superman Returns and the original Superman were both campy movies, so of course the villain was campy.

We can all expect BvS to be pretty dark, so a little humor here and there is going to be needed. That's what The Joker brought to TDK without being campy.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:27 PM   #77
Bathead
The Oldest Geek

Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - Part 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Scout View Post
It worked for DOFP.

I've always thought Superman should be funny. He shouldn't be cracking jokes every minute, or even in every scene, but he shouldn't be completely joyless either. I picture him as a very relaxed person.

And before anyone says anything, that wasn't a shot at MOS.

As for Batman: he should definitely be the more serious and uptight of the two, but I think he should also possess a dry wit. One or two appropriately timed one liners (that are bitingly sarcastic) would be great.

I get that, but I feel like it'd be a missed opportunity.

Agreed.
Indeed, much like in BTAS. He was dead serious most of the time, but occasionally would say something humorous.
For example, In World's Finest, when the Joker is apparently plunging to his death in the bomber, Harley plaintively says "Puddin!''. to which Batman says, "At this point he probably is."

*splat*
Old 06-18-2014, 03:30 PM   #78
NoLaNitE007
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwing1 View Post
Kevin Smith on: DC film plans: http://youtu.be/76gCRW7FkZM

Out of Finkes report (even though it seems she may have been Trolled) I hope the Green Lantern/Flash team up film actually comes to fruition.

If it can be executed in a fresh, buddy cop style team film with witty funny banter but with some great action and drama attached...than it would be a success. It would be a fresh take within the superhero genre, since no team up films have been executed in that way yet. Avengers and Justice League would not count since those are ensemble team films.

Having just two superheroes team up from the get go and having a tone similar to say Rush Hour buddy team up films would work IMO.

Jake Gyllenhaal as Barry Allen/The Flash and Chris Pine as Hal Jordan/Green Lantern would work for me. Both are the same age at 33 and are versatile solid name actors who would be able to carry the film to be a great success and hit.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:31 PM   #79
LEVITIKUZ
HE'S COMING HOME!!!

Recently reread Hush.

That should be the first Batfleck film. It should. No other film or idea should. It's get all you need in a new take on Batman.

- Batman Midcareer.
- Batman's allies like Oracle, Robin, and Nightwing (maybe Huntress but she could be easily replaced you know.
- Batman's past with how Barbara got shot and her as Batgirl along with the death of Jason.
- Bruce Wayne's past with Thomas Elliot and him as kids so it feels different.
- A new enemy never before seen in the big screen with Hush.
- Connected with DCCU with characters like Waller, Lois, maybe Alan Scott, and of course Superman involved.
- It's a detective story.
- Villains rebooted to get out of the way like Joker, Poison Ivy, Ra's, Talia, Riddler.
- Batman and Catwoman's romance.
- New villains on the big screen like Killer Croc, Harley Quinn, and Clayface.

It's the best starting point of a new Batman series when you have a Batman well into his career to get audiences interested. It's just the perfect story.

Aaron Paul For Barry Allen/Flash
/Chadwick Boseman for John Stewart/Green Lantern

Love, LEVITIKUZ

What Would I Do For The Amazing Spider-Man 3
Old 06-18-2014, 03:32 PM   #80
Travesty
TEOL

I'm not a Hush fan.

I do love Jim Lee's art, though.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:34 PM   #81
The Endless
WE are Groot

Yea i didn't like Hush. It was basically a check list of Batman villains. It wasn't as well written as The Long Halloween or Dark Victory.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:34 PM   #82
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

I did enjoy Hush's origin story in the book (everything else is a big meh), but I hate Jim Lee's art.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:35 PM   #83
zryson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
I'm not a Hush fan.

Same here; the art was nice but story? Very hit and miss.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:36 PM   #84
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathead View Post
Indeed, much like in BTAS.
That's exactly what I was thinking of.

Quote:
He was dead serious most of the time, but occasionally would say something humorous.
And it pretty much always worked. It never felt forced or out of character.

Quote:
For example, In World's Finest, when the Joker is apparently plunging to his death in the bomber, Harley plaintively says "Puddin!''. to which Batman says, "At this point he probably is."
That's a great example. Another one (and one I particularly love) can be found in the original series, in the episode where he battles the Joker on top of a humongous pile of garbage. The Joker ends up dangling by the leg over a huge pit of fire, and Batman teases him a bit before saving his life.

JOKER: BATMAN! You wouldn't let me fry, would you?!

BATMAN: *smirks down at him and leans against the railing, not saying a word*

JOKER: BATMAAAAAAN!!

It might sounds cheesy on paper, but it played out wonderfully on screen.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:37 PM   #85
LEVITIKUZ
HE'S COMING HOME!!!

I loved Hush. I thought Hush was great. I also loved Heart of Hush and House of Hush.

As far as a Batman film goes, it is a great idea to use it as a way to get audiences interested and to make it different from previous Batman films.

Love, LEVITIKUZ

Old 06-18-2014, 03:38 PM   #86
Beige Lantern
Banned User

I really like an extremely no-nonsense, down-to-business Lex. That requires a definite seriousness, an attitude that, without saying a word, communicates "I am smarter than you by such a large measure that listening to your feeble whining is a waste of my genius. Now go sit down and have a cookie."

But I also like a Lex who knows how to play the public, who has a Tony Robbins/Steve Jobs type of charisma about him and knows how to use it. This Lex, however, still wouldn't have much humor in the classic sense. He would simply be witty and able to make really snappy comebacks that make the less eloquent shrivel.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:40 PM   #87
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVITIKUZ View Post
Recently reread Hush.

That should be the first Batfleck film. It should. No other film or idea should. It's get all you need in a new take on Batman.

- Batman Midcareer.
- Batman's allies like Oracle, Robin, and Nightwing (maybe Huntress but she could be easily replaced you know.
- Batman's past with how Barbara got shot and her as Batgirl along with the death of Jason.
- Connected with DCCU with characters like Waller, Lois, maybe Alan Scott, and of course Superman involved.
- Villains rebooted to get out of the way like Joker, Poison Ivy, Ra's, Talia, Riddler.

It's the best starting point of a new Batman series when you have a Batman well into his career to get audiences interested. It's just the perfect story.
I'd like to see an animated version of this Hush from DC. I love this .

Old 06-18-2014, 03:41 PM   #88
WoodyROM
Side-Kick

I agree with your assessment Boy Scout

Romans 8:38-39
Old 06-18-2014, 03:44 PM   #89
LEVITIKUZ
HE'S COMING HOME!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caped Knight View Post
I'd like to see an animated version of this Hush from DC. I love this .
Years ago they say they wouldn't do Hush or Long Halloween for some reason.

And with how DC's animated films have been on the downside since Timm left, I don't think it's the best idea to do one especially of Hush.

Love, LEVITIKUZ

Old 06-18-2014, 03:44 PM   #90
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Quote:
Recently reread Hush.

- Batman Midcareer.

I, too, think a condensed version of Hush would make for a great live-action film for an established Batman. It certainly would be something different, a brand new villain for general audiences along with plenty of familiar faces. I love Batman's internal dialogue throughout Hush.

Not sure why a lot of fans here seem to dislike it. I think the overral reaction to is has been more positive than negative, though.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:47 PM   #91
Beige Lantern
Banned User

I think you're missing the mark if you're looking for humor in a comic relief character. As Superman III proved, that is not a recipe for success.

Instead, find real believable humor in the circumstances. Almost Human does such a great job of depicting the tense bromance and that dynamic could work here as well.

I'd also love a scene where Diane Lane dresses down Cavill. Superman flies through the front door having just saved a nuclear submarine:

Superman: Hi Mom! I need a tow-
Ma Kent: CLARK! Scrape your shoes off before coming in here!
Superman: Sorry (rubs feet on mat, heads toward fridge). Did you find anyone to fix the truck yet?
Ma Kent: Well Sarah Miller has gotten pretty good at- Clark, don't even THINK about sitting down until I can lay a towel under you. You're filthy!

I'm sure a good writer can do it better, but you get the idea.

Actually, Lois and Clark did this pretty well too:

Ma Kent: (looking at costume for the first time) Well one thing's for certain: nobody's gonna be looking at your face.
Superman: MOM!
Ma Kent: Well they don't call 'em tights for nothing!

Last edited by Beige Lantern; 06-18-2014 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:49 PM   #92
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
I'm not a Hush fan.

Yeah, that story was so ****ing disappointing. It got me back into comics after like a decade-long hiatus but by the end I was like, "I got back into this for THAT?!"

I still believe that they pulled an Armageddon 2001 with that story. I think Hush was initially supposed to be Jason Todd, but then people figured it out, so they went with "plan B" and just teased Jason and made Hush turn out to be the most obvious character in the story. Such a disappointment.

The art was great though. Jim Lee's Batman is still one of my favorite designs.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:51 PM   #93
zryson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Yeah, that story was so ****ing disappointing. It got me back into comics after like a decade-long hiatus but by the end I was like, "I got back into this for THAT?!"
I remember reading the story at the time thinking yeah, its nothing special in terms of Batman-stories.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:54 PM   #94
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Recently reread Hush.

- Batman Midcareer.

Meh. Hush is alright but im not a big fan of the character or the book.

Also, this isn't a mid-career Batman. Certainly not by the time we get to the solo film. He'll be around 44-ish in Batman vs Superman. Something like that. By the time a solo movie comes out, he's mid to late 40s Batman. That's end-of-career Bats.

The bat-family...yeah i can see that.

If it's a solo movie, i dont want to see Waller, Lois or any characters outside of Gotham City. Maybe Superman can show up in the final scene on a rooftop, but other than that, i want it to be a Batman movie without it being filled up with DC characters. That's what the multiple team-ups will be for. We'll see 2 movies with Batman having to mix it up with outsiders. By the time his own movie comes around, it better be all him.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:57 PM   #95
TheBlur
Side-Kick

An example of how Lex can be intimidating, serious, and funny at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA9ihUk-HNw

Old 06-18-2014, 03:58 PM   #96
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Black Mask and Deadshot please.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:58 PM   #97
Charlatan
Side-Kick

Court of Owls needs to be made.
Or Prey.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:01 PM   #98
HaplessHenchman
Goon for hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
If it's a solo movie, i dont want to see Waller, Lois or any characters outside of Gotham City. Maybe Superman can show up in the final scene on a rooftop, but other than that, i want it to be a Batman movie without it being filled up with DC characters. That's what the multiple team-ups will be for. We'll see 2 movies with Batman having to mix it up with outsiders. By the time his own movie comes around, it better be all him.
I have to agree. If you are going to go back to Batman solo movies then it has to be on him and his rogues gallery.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:01 PM   #99
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beige Lantern View Post
I really like an extremely no-nonsense, down-to-business Lex. That requires a definite seriousness, an attitude that, without saying a word, communicates "I am smarter than you by such a large measure that listening to your feeble whining is a waste of my genius. Now go sit down and have a cookie."

But I also like a Lex who knows how to play the public, who has a Tony Robbins/Steve Jobs type of charisma about him and knows how to use it. This Lex, however, still wouldn't have much humor in the classic sense. He would simply be witty and able to make really snappy comebacks that make the less eloquent shrivel.
I think we'll be getting a Lex who we'll desperately want to punch in the face. Whether he'll be an arrogant little snot or something more akin to what you're describing, I can't say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyROM View Post
I agree with your assessment Boy Scout
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theShape View Post
I, too, think a condensed version of Hush would make for a great live-action film for an established Batman.
It sounds like a decent story. Fix whatever issues people had with it and it could be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beige Lantern View Post
I think you're missing the mark if you're looking for humor in a comic relief character. As Superman III proved, that is not a recipe for success.
Absolutely. But SIII is a universally panned movie, so you shouldn't be looking to it for guidance for anything you're attempting, really.

Quote:
Instead, find real believable humor in the circumstances.
Yes. Definitely.

Quote:
I'd also love a scene where Diane Lane dresses down Cavill. Superman flies through the front door having just saved a nuclear submarine:

Superman: Hi Mom! I need a tow-
Ma Kent: CLARK! Scrape your shoes off before coming in here!
Superman: Sorry (rubs feet on mat, heads toward fridge). Did you find anyone to fix the truck yet?
Ma Kent: Well Sarah Miller has gotten pretty good at- Clark, don't even THINK about sitting down until I can lay a towel under you. You're filthy!

I'm sure a good writer can do it better, but you get the idea.
That's cute.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:02 PM   #100
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlatan View Post
Court of Owls needs to be made.
Or Prey.
I haven't read it but I remember many from the Bat Boards not being fans of that story.

Closed Thread