The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Apocalypse

Old 06-23-2014, 03:34 PM   #1
Avalanche
Side-Kick

Default How powerful will Jean be?

When we meet Jean as a child in X3 she's very powerful. However, when we meet Jean in X1 she's pretty weak, struggling even to levitate a single person. We later find out this is due to Xavier placing blocks on her powers.

What kind of power level do you think they will go for in Apocalypse?

I'm hoping they go for a high power level, but not Dark Phoenix ridiculousness. Keep it grounded in her telekenetic / telepathic powers but up the ante from the boring displays of power in X1. I'm thinking throwing people around with ease, telekinetic blasts, protecting team members in shields, levitating, astral stuff etc.

Avalanche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:45 PM   #2
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Default Re: How powerful will Jean be?

The Dark Phoenix Saga was so badly botched, I think the filmmakers will want to redo it properly. That means Jean's powers will have to be somewhat limited, but hopefully more along the lines of X2 as opposed to X1.

Kahran Ramsus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:46 PM   #3
CB Fan
The Watcher

Well I would like to see her have more access to her powers but a jean in control of her full potential can be a problem as she can stop fights before they even start which can be boring. At some point however I would like to see her go up against apocalypse and unleash her full fury but only after it's clear that there's no other way for them to win.

CB Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:15 PM   #4
Hamill-Joker
Side-Kick

Considering that, in the movie-verse, it is those mental blocks that helped contribute to the Phoenix split personality, Xavier will likely try to take a different route when it comes to Jean's powers. After all, this Xavier did witness events from X3 and knows what will happen with her.

Hamill-Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:27 PM   #5
CB Fan
The Watcher

Xavier saw events from X3 but who's to say he knows exactly what caused them. I think if he does know he may still put the blocks in when they first emerge but take a faster approach to helping her access and control her powers. Jean is a tricky case whether it be in the movies or comics cause she's so powerful.

CB Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:27 PM   #6
darkangel
Side-Kick

I want her to be as powerfull as she was in X2, that stop of Scott's laser beam inside the alkaki lake building was so GOOD! In X1 she was so weak.

darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:40 PM   #7
JP
To me

She should be a force. And the one to defeat Apocalypse.

JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:42 PM   #8
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

I doubt we'll see astral planes and telepathy force fields.
But I do expect a stronger more capable team that's able to let loose on a global threat as durable as Apocalypse.

ciscostudent561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:58 PM   #9
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Kinberg has said In podcast In timeline seen at end of DOFP Jean never becomes Phoenix.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:03 PM   #10
Donut
Side-Kick

That does not mean that she can not be Phoenix at least once during FC timeline but Jean would win control this time as Professor X would know to do things differently

Donut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:13 PM   #11
PunyGod
Side-Kick

Last edited by PunyGod; 07-10-2014 at 11:32 PM.
PunyGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:19 PM   #12
xrs13
Cold as ice

I am hoping they make her more powerful. I mean if Singer is trying to stick to some form of consistency then it would make sense for her to be more powerful now there arent mental blocks or even if there are they cant be as strong as they were leading to X3.

Cometh the Apocalypse
and the merry Horsemen
War: Sinister, Death: Wolverine,
Pestilence: Mystique, Famine: Storm before Xavier

xrs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:30 PM   #13
darkangel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunyGod View Post
Am I the only one hoping we *don't* see Jean again? Yes it was butchered the first time but lets on move on to other stories instead of rebooting ones we've already seen.
-->

Old 06-23-2014, 07:14 PM   #14
Hamill-Joker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunyGod View Post
Am I the only one hoping we *don't* see Jean again? Yes it was butchered the first time but lets on move on to other stories instead of rebooting ones we've already seen.
I think they now have a chance to better explore the Jean/Scott relationship than what was done in the original trilogy. So that what I would like to see.

Hamill-Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:15 PM   #15
HIA
Side-Kick

Id like to see a powerfull Jean, but with the movie showing her potential slowly. not just going all out since the very beggining. So they could introduce her showing she has a great power, during the movie she learns to control it a bit more, and on the final battle all her x-men mates end shocked to see her saving the day, well, sort of. Just surprised seeing Jean showing a huge display against Apocalypse or whoever it is.
But about saving the day... Id preffer that to be Cyclops, he deserves it.

HIA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:26 PM   #16
BMM
Side-Kick

I'm hoping for a no psychic barriers Jean Grey. Surely, after Days of Future Past, Xavier has learned something from the Raven debacle and doesn't repeat the same mistake with Jean.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:20 PM   #17
SkyIsBlue
Side-Kick

Am I the only one who wants to finally see a proper fire bird on screen?

SkyIsBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:32 PM   #18
Loki882
Side-Kick

Given that Jean will likely be in her late teens/early 20's, I don't want her to be TOO powerful, or Scott/Ororo for that matter. They should have a great deal of potential, but somewhat lacking in control/finesse due to inexperience. It'd just be really fun to see them grow and develop onscreen imo.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:11 PM   #19
MarvelU
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Given that Jean will likely be in her late teens/early 20's, I don't want her to be TOO powerful, or Scott/Ororo for that matter. They should have a great deal of potential, but somewhat lacking in control/finesse due to inexperience. It'd just be really fun to see them grow and develop onscreen imo.
I agree, if Cyclops, Jean, and Storm are the new class of X-Men then I would rather them do team work to take down who ever it is. Making them too powerful will probably be less interesting because we won't see proper team work and we won't see as much struggle for these young X-Men learning to use their powers.

MarvelU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:21 AM   #20
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I'm not hoping for a really powerful Jean Grey, but a Jean Grey who knows how to use her powers like how Storm used her powers in X1 without hesitation.

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:09 AM   #21
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIA View Post
Id like to see a powerfull Jean, but with the movie showing her potential slowly. not just going all out since the very beggining. So they could introduce her showing she has a great power, during the movie she learns to control it a bit more, and on the final battle all her x-men mates end shocked to see her saving the day, well, sort of. Just surprised seeing Jean showing a huge display against Apocalypse or whoever it is.
But about saving the day... Id preffer that to be Cyclops, he deserves it.
I'm a huge cyclops fan. But as much as I want to see Cyke take out Apoc... The greater victory would be a team effort, with Cyke coordinating the victory or at least coming up with the plan to win.

Apocalypse is a villian outside the space time continium you aren't going to beat him in a slug it out battle. It has to be something cunning and forceful.

As much as flack as the TAS and Evolution get, the animated series handled the defeat of Apocalypse rather well.

I like how it took all the psychics on the planet to lock him in the time chamber and I also liked how in evolution they used leech to sap his power away. They'll probably need a lil combination of both intel and force to take out apocalypse.

ciscostudent561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:01 PM   #22
kasjan
Side-Kick

She''ll be White Phoenix

kasjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:41 AM   #23
darkangel
Side-Kick

Singer, let the Phoenix reborn again! I want to see the bird in the Apocalypse, dont make her a weak Jean like in X1.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:58 PM   #24
elementalrage
Newbie First Class

I just saw X1 again after all these years and wow was Jean weak. She seemed like a new student as opposed to someone who's been there since forever.

Something along her X2 powers (maybe a hint at Phoenix even if they aren't gonna do it again) would be great.

elementalrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:05 PM   #25
BeholdMe
Storm Disciple

I do hope that we dont see such a weakened Jean as we did in X1, it was painful to watch. Besides with her possibly not having the blocks on her mind im hoping she has more power and is able to control it.

Storm #1-July 23 2014-Preorder your copy today
BeholdMe is offline   Reply With Quote