The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 09:51 AM   #26
Maze
Proud AquaMomoa inventor

Default Re: Is anyone else not excited about Superman and Batman? I feel nothing but dread.

It was the first of its kind too. There never been such an ambitious super hero movie before. It's the template.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zryson
Is it real? Or a wig? Maybe he wears a wig in the movie cause he is bald and then at the end of the movie he rips off the wig and throws it at Superman.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:07 AM   #27
Tra-El
Side-Kick

Default Re: Is anyone else not excited about Superman and Batman? I feel nothing but dread. -

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
I really don't get why anyone would complain MOS was too grounded in realism.

I actually thought it was the opposite of that. It was much LESS grounded in realism than I expected. It came across as epic fantasy. And in places, quite comic booky.

But that was part of my dissapointment, because the trailers and interviews had so built it up to be more in the TDK style of realism storytelling... and they didn't really deliver that.

That's a personal taste thing tho. I was really looking forward to a Superman the GA would finally take seriously like they've been able to with Batman.

Great post hopefuldreamer. Though I loved MoS for what exactly it was, I can appreciate ones reason of disappointment when actually being fair to the movie rather than just vomiting on it with ill-proposed banter.

I can see where you're coming from and you're on the right path in your description. The movie was very sci-fi and spectacle in scale while at the same time, grounding a Superman to reality's standards. The mix-up is kind of what I think Snyder and WB wanted to accomplish.

Though in one hand Snyder said the most realistic movie he's made was about Superman (how ironic) on the other hand, he still gave us that comic-book panel to panel sci-fi and destruction that has not only defined the characters, but the genre in general. Snyder basically gave it all to us and I think it confuses the suspension of belief a little further.

The trailers did make MoS seem like it was going to be more personal and emotional to an older Clark Kent, but we see that mostly in flashbacks with young Clark and Jonathan.

Cavill wasn't givin' the chance when it came to "Can't I just, keep pretending I'm your son?" scene, rather arguing with Jonathan before his death.

In many ways, it's not something Super-fans are used to when it comes to Superman movies or stories and that was one of the reasons why I loved the movie because though the trailers said one thing (and it delivered those moments) the movie itself went into a different direction and for that, I loved it (when Supes and Lois went onboard Zod's ship, that was the moment where I was like "Whoa, okay...this is different".

Besides, fans/people always say trailers show too much and ruin movies. In MoS's case, they showed a little bit of the tone of the movie but not the beef.

I appreciated that but I can see where some fans wanted more emotional "hitting me in the feels" moments with adult Clark. Hopefully, we can get that this time with BvS. Those heartfelt scenes are synonymous to the character and what makes him tick from the inside..not always the outside. I'm sure Cavill will get his opportunity to show us more of his emotional side rather than holding everything closer to the chest.

Last edited by Tra-El; 06-29-2014 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:10 PM   #28
dnno1
Side-Kick

Default Re: Is anyone else not excited about Superman and Batman? I feel nothing but dread. -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maze View Post
Harry Potter, The Pirate of the caribbean among others say hello.

there is place for everybody.

But i think that a superman more grounded is a good idea.
They are not necessaily the same fans who watch (DCE) CBM's. How many Batman fans are actually into Harry Potter or Pirates of the Caribbean? Definitely not all of them.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:35 PM   #29
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
I was just all lolwut? about the business. Those Kryptonians work fast!
"Fast" is an understatement.

Quote:
The look on Zod's face when the towers were destroyed with the press around was priceless. Clark was such a douche about it.
Blue had the best expressions. You felt for him, but you wanted to laugh at him at the same time.

Quote:
I think if played calmer, MOS Zod would've come off better.
There were a handful of moments where Zod was perfectly calm or otherwise in control of his emotions and he still did nothing for me.

Quote:
You know you have problems if the reaction of the henchwoman outweighs the main villain.
Especially considering the henchwoman didn't have that much dialogue.

Quote:
I only got that desperation at the end on the ship before Clark's all "Krypton had its chance! Yeeeaaaahhhhh!"
I thought it was implied throughout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassjaw View Post
Fixed!

Old 06-29-2014, 01:41 PM   #30
Rowsdower!
Zoom Zoom Zoom

Default Re: Is anyone else not excited about Superman and Batman? I feel nothing but dread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassjaw View Post
Fixed!
HEY! Don't make jokes off my jokes!

Old 06-29-2014, 03:28 PM   #31
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Scout View Post
"Fast" is an understatement.

Blue had the best expressions. You felt for him, but you wanted to laugh at him at the same time.

There were a handful of moments where Zod was perfectly calm or otherwise in control of his emotions and he still did nothing for me.

Especially considering the henchwoman didn't have that much dialogue.

I thought it was implied throughout.
They could've taken over the world through corporate endeavors instead of powers.

Blue was the shot-in-the-arm the show was missing since Glover stopped playing Lionel as evil and eventually leaving the show.

Which moments were those?

And it doesn't hurt that she was hot. We all know that was a factor.

For me it wasn't. From the start he just came off as a dude that wanted to be in control of things on Krypton and then on Earth. But, when Clark is about to destroy the ship, you can see the fear in his eyes as he pleads. Then, of course, when he's on the verge of tears right before the final fight. Hard to have sympathy for him (if that what they were going for with the character).

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 06-29-2014, 04:08 PM   #32
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post
Man of Steel tops it because of the SfX, the better Krypton scene, and the fight scenes with the Kryptoninans.Also, there was no Otis for comic relief. Some people laugh when I say that this was the best Superman film ever made, but I am not the only one saying it.
Don't worry, we laugh when they say it too.

Quote:
Superman, the Movie and Superman II were great films for their time, but would neve be considered block busters if they were released today. The spcial effecs are too archaic to be believed in this day and age.
Its a good thing that, if STM and SII were released today, they would have today's special effects.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:39 PM   #33
lc23
Fan of Steel

^Oh, yeah. The SFX were the only things dated in Superman I and II. Just directly translate those two movies into modern times with updated special effects and you have a masterpiece. That worked out really well for Superman Returns.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:39 PM   #34
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Oh yeah. Cause Superman Returns was done by the same guys who did STM and SII. Cause the sole problem with SR was it copying the Donner films. Cause SR was 100 % exactly like STM/SII.

See? I can build strawman arguments using lame sarcasm too.

Last edited by The Batman; 06-29-2014 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:39 PM   #35
hafizbat
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
Don't worry, we laugh when they say it too.

Its a good thing that, if STM and SII were released today, they would have today's special effects.
Great post as always. Made me chuckle.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:49 PM   #36
lc23
Fan of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
Oh yeah. Cause Superman Returns was done by the same guy who did STM and SII. Cause the sole problem with SR was it copying the Donner films. Cause SR was 100 % exactly like STM/SII.

See? I can build strawman arguments using lame sarcasm too.
I should've known better than to waste my time. Batman fanboys.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:09 PM   #37
The Batman
The Dark Knight

^ Yeah, because I came at you with the bad argument first. LOL.

And the silly dig at Batman fanboys? Please. No fandom on this board has a monopoly on rationality.

Last edited by The Batman; 06-29-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:24 PM   #38
hafizbat
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc23 View Post
^Oh, yeah. The SFX were the only things dated in Superman I and II. Just directly translate those two movies into modern times with updated special effects and you have a masterpiece. That worked out really well for Superman Returns.
Just so you know....even Superman Returns had a better reception than MoS...

Old 06-29-2014, 06:55 PM   #39
Superman Earth1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
The thing is Superman Returns IMO is not as bad of a movie as people make it out to be. Nor is Man of Steel. They were both good movies although I prefer Man of Steel over Returns (mainly because of the action factor although IMO SR had a better story) I can honestly say though I enjoyed both movies.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:55 PM   #40
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Maybe among the critics, but not among the users on their site who represent the audience.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:00 PM   #41
Superman Earth1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Maybe among the critics, but not among the users on their site who represent the audience.
Actually yes it was up until recently (after they started releasing pictures and videos of Man of Steel) even among the audance Superman Returns held a 76% rating. Remember the the views ratings can always change Man of Steel is a good example of that with the viewrs rating now going up.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:41 PM   #42
dnno1
Side-Kick

Th Smile Re: Is anyone else not excited about Superman and Batman? I feel nothing but dread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman Earth1 View Post
Actually yes it was up until recently (after they started releasing pictures and videos of Man of Steel) even among the audience Superman Returns held a 76% rating. Remember the the views ratings can always change Man of Steel is a good example of that with the viewers rating now going up.
Yeah, but there was no Man of Steel to compare Superman Returns to before then.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:00 PM   #43
Superman Earth1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Does not matter. At the end of the day Superman Returns was held as a good movie by the audience for 6yrs as a matter of fact up until Man of Steel which is also a good movie.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:03 PM   #44
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think Brandon Routh would have had at least two films where he starred as Superman if SR was truly better received.

Last edited by Mysteryman; 06-29-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:15 PM   #45
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

I think it's telling that the only ones who are causing problems in here are the ones who want to defend the film. It's not even because they're defending the film (which is fine); it's because they're being annoying about it.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:20 PM   #46
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

In regards to my previous post ,
I ask this question, if SR was better received,
Why wasn't there demand for a sequel of SR ?

Last edited by Mysteryman; 06-29-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:22 PM   #47
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
They could've taken over the world through corporate endeavors instead of powers.
It would've taken a week, tops.

Quote:
Blue was the shot-in-the-arm the show was missing since Glover stopped playing Lionel as evil and eventually leaving the show.
He and Tess were obvious Luthor replacements.

Quote:
Which moments were those?
When he was explaining to Superman what he was going to do to the Earth; the very first time he and Superman met; probably more.

Quote:
And it doesn't hurt that she was hot. We all know that was a factor.
That might've won her a few points.

Quote:
For me it wasn't. From the start he just came off as a dude that wanted to be in control of things on Krypton and then on Earth. But, when Clark is about to destroy the ship, you can see the fear in his eyes as he pleads. Then, of course, when he's on the verge of tears right before the final fight. Hard to have sympathy for him (if that what they were going for with the character).
Actually, I misspoke; I was able to rationalize most of his less-than-intelligent actions by characterizing him as desperate and slightly unhinged after 33 years of trying to find a new home.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:24 PM   #48
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
iN regards to my previous post ,
I ask this question, if SR was better received
By critics.

Quote:
Uh, there was. They were going to make one, but Singer took too long.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:26 PM   #49
Superman Earth1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
iN regards to my previous post ,
I ask this question, if SR was better received,
To answer your question the writers strike and creative differences. SR sequel was very close to getting off the ground as close as the Nic Cage Superman movie. Remember the first Justice League before it became Justice League Mortal was written to have Nolan's Batman and Singer's Superman together and the SR sequel was suppose to lead into that. The sequel was almost there a lot further than many may want to admit.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:44 PM   #50
Hurm...
GreenGoblin1964(2006)

Quote:
You do realize those ratings are unreliable as hell right? Anyone who has a vendetta against the film can spam their rating and make it a lower percentage. The same can be said for someone who is a major fan of the film.

Your arguments are not credible, man.

BRRRRRRMMMMMMM

Closed Thread