The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 09:49 PM   #51
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Default Re: Is anyone else not excited about Superman and Batman? I feel nothing but dread.

Last I checked, the first Spider Man movie had a 67% audience rating...which taught me not to trust the audience rating.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:10 PM   #52
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Default Re: Is anyone else not excited about Superman and Batman? I feel nothing but dread.

Can the audience rating be changed over the years ?
Or does it just count for the release period ?

Old 06-29-2014, 10:17 PM   #53
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
Can the audience rating be changed over the years ?
Or does it just count for the release period ?
Sure it can so long as that is disclosed and they don't double count votes.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:42 PM   #54
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Default Re: Is anyone else not excited about Superman and Batman? I feel nothing but dread. -

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post
Superman, the Movie and Superman II were great films for their time, but would neve be considered block busters if they were released today. The spcial effecs are too archaic to be believed in this day and age.
OK first you tell us that MoS is great because it's basically the story of Jesus and now you're saying old movies with outdated special EFX wouldn't cut it today as blockbusters?

This is getting good ......

Old 06-30-2014, 12:48 AM   #55
dnno1
Side-Kick

Default Re: Is anyone else not excited about Superman and Batman? I feel nothing but dread. -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
OK first you tell us that MoS is great because it's basically the story of Jesus and now you're saying old movies with outdated special EFX wouldn't cut it today as blockbusters?

This is getting good ......

That's what I wrote. The old technology just wouldn't sell compared to today's. Might be good for a DVD release, but not as a summer blockbuster. If that were the case, then they would have just re-released Superman I and II again to theaters.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:33 AM   #56
NewYorkSpider
We're Doomed

I'm excited about this, but I'm proceeding with caution.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:08 AM   #57
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
That's what I wrote. The old technology just wouldn't sell compared to today's. Might be good for a DVD release, but not as a summer blockbuster. If that were the case, then they would have just re-released Superman I and II again to theaters.
Uhhhh ya think?

Old 06-30-2014, 03:17 AM   #58
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Uhhhh ya think?
without question. So, why the smart remark (that it was getting good)?

Old 06-30-2014, 03:59 AM   #59
Maze
Proud AquaMomoa inventor

Quote:
They are not necessaily the same fans who watch (DCE) CBM's. How many Batman fans are actually into Harry Potter or Pirates of the Caribbean? Definitely not all of them.
You were talking about summer movies.

And the Avengers say hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by zryson
Is it real? Or a wig? Maybe he wears a wig in the movie cause he is bald and then at the end of the movie he rips off the wig and throws it at Superman.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:54 AM   #60
zryson
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman Earth1 View Post
The thing is Superman Returns IMO is not as bad of a movie as people make it out to be. Nor is Man of Steel. They were both good movies although I prefer Man of Steel over Returns (mainly because of the action factor although IMO SR had a better story) I can honestly say though I enjoyed both movies.
The biggest problem with Superman Returns is they tried to recreate the chemistry from the Donner films and as the movie demonstrated, chemistry is one of those things that either the actors click on screen or they dont. And in Superman Returns case, they didnt.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:04 AM   #61
Glassjaw
In training

Not to get too off topic, but talking of SR, even at the time I remember thinking 'Who makes sequel to a movie 30 years later with completely different actors?' Such a weird stepping off point.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:14 AM   #62
super85
Side-Kick

Quote:
What an odd statement, i don't quite get your point. I mean....there's a tons of wonderful classics of cinema historia that don't get re-released into theatres...simply becouse you generally don't re-release really old films (besides Star Wars stuff that has new effects) into theatres very often.

I mean...what?... thats what the home video market is for...to enjoy the classics.

Its not like they are going re-release Man of Steel to all theatres soon next year becouse the FX is modern.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:43 AM   #63
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassjaw View Post
Not to get too off topic, but talking of SR, even at the time I remember thinking 'Who makes sequel to a movie 30 years later with completely different actors?' Such a weird stepping off point.
I've always found it to be a novel approach, sequels to old films with new casts. I *think* that's what the new Mad Max film is doing, sometimes a full reboot just doesn't cut it, especially if the films that preceeded it were good, heck even if you had a great series that trailed off (like the superman series) making a sequel that should have been is something i feel they don't do enough.

I loved the idea of SR being the Superman 3 we never got, Donner's Superman still remains the definitive cinematic approach to the character, If SR actually had been good (being a continuation of the donnerverse had nothing to do with it's failure) I feel we would have gotten an excellent continuation of a great version of the character.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Old 06-30-2014, 06:52 AM   #64
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zryson View Post
The biggest problem with Superman Returns is they tried to recreate the chemistry from the Donner films and as the movie demonstrated, chemistry is one of those things that either the actors click on screen or they dont. And in Superman Returns case, they didnt.
Exactly. Man of Steel is better than SR in concept alone. It took them a while to move on from the Donner era, far too long for my liking.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
Old 06-30-2014, 07:43 AM   #65
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by super85 View Post
What an odd statement, i don't quite get your point. I mean....there's a tons of wonderful classics of cinema historia that don't get re-released into theatres...simply becouse you generally don't re-release really old films (besides Star Wars stuff that has new effects) into theatres very often.

I mean...what?... thats what the home video market is for...to enjoy the classics.

Its not like they are going re-release Man of Steel to all theatres soon next year becouse the FX is modern.
No, they aren't planning to, but they are going to make a sequel.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:54 AM   #66
lukebrodyg
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc23 View Post
^Oh, yeah. The SFX were the only things dated in Superman I and II. Just directly translate those two movies into modern times with updated special effects and you have a masterpiece. That worked out really well for Superman Returns.
Haha

Old 06-30-2014, 09:09 AM   #67
georgec
Not a hero

I'm excited to see what the team comes up with. However, the movie's so far away that it just doesn't make sense to get too hyped up - it would be hard to maintain a high level of anticipation and enthusiasm for 2+ years. I'm just enjoying the ride and will let the hype rise when trailers and such come out.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:12 AM   #68
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

Those are wise words indeed. Still, I can maintain a level of anticipation for years. That's because I lack restraint.

Share your ps4 videos
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...1#post30079049
Old 06-30-2014, 09:18 AM   #69
georgec
Not a hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
Those are wise words indeed. Still, I can maintain a level of anticipation for years. That's because I lack restraint.
I would say it's not a lack of restraint, but a commendable degree of passion that you possess.

But yea, it seems like when people get hyped up super early in the process, they become more susceptible to extreme reactions to official photo/trailer releases (love it or hate it). The past couple years I'm trying to not get too high or too low, but just take each new piece of information in stride.

I love the process of anticipating big movies like this, but I think I'm just a little drained from doing it so many times. It's hard work out here for a blockbuster/comic movie fan.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:05 AM   #70
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Uhhhh ya think?
His argument is so freaking pointless.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:51 AM   #71
zryson
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
I loved the idea of SR being the Superman 3 we never got, Donner's Superman still remains the definitive cinematic approach to the character, If SR actually had been good (being a continuation of the donnerverse had nothing to do with it's failure) I feel we would have gotten an excellent continuation of a great version of the character.
Its amazing in retrospect, how influential Donner's Superman has remained. Even Snyder seemed surprised about people clinging to the Reeve version of Superman. I think many people like him overlook the reasons why people cling to things; and in Reeve's case it was because it has yet to be equaled (let alone surpassed.)

Old 06-30-2014, 10:54 AM   #72
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Yup. Neither "Superman Returns" nor "Man of Steel" were good enough to make you forget about the Donner films.

Compare that to the Batman films, where the Nolan trilogy managed to replace The Burton films as the gold standard.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:56 AM   #73
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
His argument is so freaking pointless.
LOL, I know.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:33 AM   #74
LaughingMage
Side-Kick

Quote:
Man of Steel tops it because of the SfX, the better Krypton scene, and the fight scenes with the Kryptoninans. Also, there was no Otis for comic relief. Some people laugh when I say that this was the best Superman film ever made, but I am not the only one saying it.
And yet Man of Steel will be forgotten and Superman The Movie will still remain part of American movie masterpieces canon like The Godfather or Citizen Kane, being thaught in film schools and campuses all over the country while MOS will probably land somewhere in the bargain bin a few years from now on.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:37 AM   #75
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
Yup. Neither "Superman Returns" nor "Man of Steel" were good enough to make you forget about the Donner films.

Compare that to the Batman films, where the Nolan trilogy managed to replace The Burton films as the gold standard.
Despite the perceived over abundance of remakes and reboots, the Nolan films are fast becoming that very rare example of a franchise that previously enjoyed success on a large financial and cultural scale that was not only replicated but topped.

I can't seem to think of anything else on the same level, I guess the closest would be what Fox is doing with the Apes franchise. It's going to be REAL interesting to see what happens with Downey Jr is done with Iron Man.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Closed Thread