The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

View Poll Results: Do you think Affleck is a good choice?
Yes 172 74.14%
No 60 25.86%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 09:49 AM   #26
Travesty
TEOL

Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - - - Part 19

Nolan's Gotham in BB was my favorite for his trilogy. TDKR was ok, but nothing great. TDK was horrible, IMO. It didn't even try to distinguish itself, or hide the fact that it was a cleaner version of Chicago.

Burton's B89 Gotham is my favorite live action Gotham. I think it looks great. His BR Gotham does look like it was a set. I can easily see why people don't like it. I like it, though.

Schuacher's were ok, but highly exaggerated. I never hated them, but I was never in love with them, either. They felt almost a bit too cartoony at times.

But this Gotham looks great, from what we can see so far. I'm a fan!

Old 07-03-2014, 09:49 AM   #27
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I think the point of Nolan's interpretation was basically that Gotham is EVERY city USA. By making Gotham a stand-in for New York, you're essentially saying that New York doesn't exist. Which means in a greater context the US as we know it, doesn't really exist. It's a slightly fictionalized version of America. So in that context, it makes some sense Gotham to have some of the big American city landmarks.

I know not everyone agrees with that interpretation, but that's how I took it.

And yes, Anton Furst's Gotham is classic. Just beautiful to take in. Schumacher's just had too much neon for my taste, but I can't say it was a completely invalid interpretation.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 07-03-2014, 09:52 AM   #28
The Endless
WE are Groot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I think the point of Nolan's interpretation was basically that Gotham is EVERY city USA. By making Gotham a stand-in for New York, you're essentially saying that New York doesn't exist. Which means in a greater context the US as we know it, doesn't really exist. It's a slightly fictionalized version of America. So in that context, it makes some sense Gotham to have some of the big American city landmarks.

I know not everyone agrees with that interpretation, but that's how I took it.

And yes, Anton Furst's Gotham is classic. Just beautiful to take in. Schumacher's just had too much neon for my taste, but I can't say it was a completely invalid interpretation.
But see then, that's kinda painting Gotham as just some generic US city. Gotham should be the exact opposite of generic US city in my opinion.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:55 AM   #29
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
But see then, that's kinda painting Gotham as just some generic US city. Gotham should be the exact opposite of generic US city in my opinion.
Again, just depends on the interpretation of the character. But to be fair, they did establish the Narrows too which was its own little "heightened" pocket of the city which was completely unlike any American city (Hong Kong influence). I do think it would've been nice to revisit it in the movies, but it's not like it stopped existing in the fictional world of that story. The monorail system as well, which remained through the movies even as a background element.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:56 AM   #30
Rowsdower!
Zoom Zoom Zoom

Batman Begins Gotham is probably my favorite, followed by Batman 89 Gotham. Gotham in TDK and TDKR was okay (I especially love the use of Pittsburgh in TDKR, since I'm from there) but it looked a little too ordinary there. Batman Returns Gotham had too many statues and weird pieces of architecture, which ultimately led to the god-awful Schumacher Gotham designs.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:57 AM   #31
-JKR-
Side-Kick

Depends on the interpretation. Even in comics, artists like Neal Adams and David Mazzucchelli have drawn Gotham as if it was a common American city. And I wouldn't call it generic, just because it wasn't stylized, it doesn't mean that the locations weren't breathtakingly shot in The Dark Knight. I thought the locations and its lighting (Wally Pfister even slipped several VERY comic book-ish lights and colors in there, making some shots very similar to panels, pay attention to Loeb's office when he's poisoned in TDK, or the yellow lights in the tunnels as the police officers are entering them in TDKRises) were very atmospheric, and gave the gritty story of the movie the exact right mood.

Different versions demand a different tone and look. Personally, I loved both Tim Burton's and Christopher Nolan's (lots of stuff looked interesting in Batman Forever, as well, it's a pity it was so stuffed with excessive neon lights - in Batman & Robin it became unbearable, I can remember there being LOTS of color bleeding on VHS) take on Batman's visuals and the design of Gotham City, and can't wait to see what Zack Snyder has in store for us.

Last edited by -JKR-; 07-03-2014 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:59 AM   #32
Rowsdower!
Zoom Zoom Zoom

Yeah, TDK and TDKR were certainly shot beautifully. Every time I go to Chicago, I find myself humming the Dark Knight theme. The last time I was there, the hotel I stayed in was one of the buildings were Nolan filmed some TDK scenes, which was extra cool.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:01 AM   #33
The Endless
WE are Groot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Again, just depends on the interpretation of the character. But to be fair, they did establish the Narrows too which was its own little "heightened" pocket of the city which was completely unlike any American city (Hong Kong influence). I do think it would've been nice to revisit it in the movies, but it's not like it stopped existing in the fictional world of that story. The monorail system as well, which remained through the movies even as a background element.
Well yea the monorail was unique and distinct in Begins.

After that though it was just some generic elevated train track.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:01 AM   #34
Maze
Proud AquaMomoa inventor

Yup..

I didn't believe in either Burton Gotham. It was sometimes nice to look at, but never got the feeling it was something other than a studio backlot ( unlike a Blade Runner set to take an example)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zryson
Is it real? Or a wig? Maybe he wears a wig in the movie cause he is bald and then at the end of the movie he rips off the wig and throws it at Superman.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:01 AM   #35
Reiter
Banned User

His Gotham in TDKR was basically NY mirrored (all the scenes with the bridges for example). And i dont know what he was going for when he had the rich guy beat up the revolutionnairies (who are abhorent terrorists btw) right in front of Wall Street, the temple of capitalism.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:02 AM   #36
hafizbat
Side-Kick

While I love Gotham as its own distinct, stylized city, I still enjoyed seeing the Avengers in New York City. Seeing our heroes in our real cities is nice, as it makes us believe that they could actually be there.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:03 AM   #37
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiter View Post
And i dont know what he was going for when he had the rich guy beat up the revolutionnairies (who are abhorent terrorists btw) right in front of Wall Street, the temple of capitalism.
I don't even think Nolan himself knew what he was doing in that movie.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:03 AM   #38
Reiter
Banned User

His Gotham in Begins was the best, but i didnt like the Narrows because of how over the top they were. But i did like the overall feel of Chicago which was much better masked than in TDK, as well as all the aerial shots which established the part of the city the action was taking place in. It helped me navigate and feel more at home. We didnt have that in the other movies.

EDIT: The monorail in BB too! That looked great and gave the city a nice landmark.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:07 AM   #39
The Endless
WE are Groot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
I don't even think Nolan himself knew what he was doing in that movie.
I hated the exchange of dialogue between Modine's character and the guy from the Stock Exchange.

"Why should i risk my men to protect your money"
"It's not just our money... it's everybodies!"

****ing reeeeeeaaaaallly? How on the nose can you get? People defend Nolan's exposition heavy dialogue as being poetic... there is nothing poetic about that lol.

But Bane was awesome in that scene and the chase after was really good

Old 07-03-2014, 10:08 AM   #40
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
Yea and NYC does have some gothic, Eastern European like architecture.

I just didn't like shots where Batman is clearly standing on Sears Tower. For me, Gotham shouldn't be recognizable as a place in the real world. No DC city should.
Most people didn't recognize that though. I haven't been to Chicago, so to me it was a city, but not a specific one, so i bought it as Gotham.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:43 AM   #41
darknight7
Side-Kick

--dk7

Old 07-03-2014, 11:01 AM   #42
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Lol

Old 07-03-2014, 11:01 AM   #43
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by darknight7 View Post

--dk7
Yes. That's why the first full color official picture we're getting is of Superman. Henry and his characterare obviously being slighted, what with his archnemesis making his appearance for the DCCU for the first first time and the return of almost all the supporting cast from MOS.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:03 AM   #44
Travesty
TEOL

Old 07-03-2014, 01:22 PM   #45
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

When do you guys think we will get an official colored picture of Ben in his Bat-Suit?

Old 07-03-2014, 01:24 PM   #46
Chip Chipperson
Dr. Pavel I'm CIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Superman View Post
When do you guys think we will get an official colored picture of Ben in his Bat-Suit?
could be sometime between now and comic con is my guess.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #47
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Something's got to be coming for Comic-Con that's Batman related.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 07-03-2014, 01:26 PM   #48
John Locke
One is Dark One is Light

I think the Superman picture is half the photo. Batman's in it too but they haven't released it yet. I think this is the picture Kevin Smith saw.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:26 PM   #49
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

Hope so.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:39 PM   #50
BatFan1979
The Fan Batman Needs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Locke View Post
I think the Superman picture is half the photo. Batman's in it too but they haven't released it yet. I think this is the picture Kevin Smith saw.
Smith said it was of Batman in the foreground with Superman in the background hovering. This may be the same set, but this isn't that same photo IMO.

As much as it pains me to admit it, I kinda agree with zryson.
~ Naked Bat
Closed Thread