The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 12-30-2014, 11:31 PM   #1
smallville fan
Hero

Default Is there a "Machete Order" for the X-Men movies?

Having had Days of Futures Past happen which changed the franchise, is there a truncated viewing order for the movies? Just want to ask as I'm looking to purchase the good ones.

For those who don't know what the "Machete Order" is, for the Star Wars movies a fan created a truncated viewing order of the Star Wars films cutting out most of the pain that is the Prequel Trilogy.

Is there something similar for the X-Men films?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:52 PM   #2
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Default Re: Is there a "Machete Order" for the X-Men movies?

Honestly, if I understand the question, and you insist on watching all 7, I'd say the following order would be the best order:

1, 2, 3, FC, O:W, W, DoFP

I'd say this alleviates any back to back crap pain (separating 3 and O:W)
as much Hugh Jackman overload pain as possible (by throwing FC directly in the middle)
and it should alleviate plot hole pain (by separating Duke/Dinklage trask as well as giving breathing room between the three William Strykers and two Sabretooths)

You'll also retain any spoilers that might arise from chronological order (namely wolverine's origin or Jean Grey/Cyclops death). Just make sure you watch after credits sequences (Prof X revival and Prof X/Magneto/Wolvie at the airport)

And in the end you still get the sweet relief of the DoFP reboot. And that's all that really matters.

Edit: After looking up Machete order I'd offer this as an alternative

FC, 1, 2, 3, W, DoFP

Almost chronological. It still avoids any of the aforementioned spoilery stuff and alleviates Trask/Stryker grumbling even more so. But even better, it removes an entire film of crappy Wolverine-ness while maintaining the mystery of his backstory (because that's cooler anyway).

I still think 3 is tolerable (especially after the beauty of DoFP's ending. So enjoy that. You're welcome.

EDIT #2: I changed my mind again, another alternative would be the following

1, 2, FC, 3, W, DoFP

Once again cutting up the Jackman-overload. Intensifying the rebirth of Phoenix. Causing Xavier's death to hit much harder. And still being able to begin with Wolverine's initial acclimation to the school and the team.

Last edited by pr0xyt0xin; 12-31-2014 at 12:11 AM.
pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 02:22 AM   #3
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post

1, 2, FC, 3, W, DoFP

Once again cutting up the Jackman-overload. Intensifying the rebirth of Phoenix. Causing Xavier's death to hit much harder. And still being able to begin with Wolverine's initial acclimation to the school and the team.
Wouldn't there be inconsistencies regarding Xavier's paralysis?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 12-31-2014, 10:59 AM   #4
Spider-Fan83
With Great Power...

OX:W, 2, FC, 3, W, DoFP

Spider-Fan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:26 AM   #5
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

I am still debating how i want to select my own personal viewing of films

Option 1-FC,X-Men,X2,DOFP
Option 2-FC,DOFP

Old 12-31-2014, 02:19 PM   #6
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

My Machete Order
1) fc
2) tw
3)dofp

ciscostudent561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:27 PM   #7
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

I just watch the team movies (except FC).

Old 12-31-2014, 08:56 PM   #8
psylockolussus
X-Men ♥ Fantastic Four

FC W1 X1 X2 X3 W2 X4

I watched them all last December!

psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:08 AM   #9
Tymminator
The Main Man in Minnesota

In the order they came out in, just to avoid spoilers.

Kind of like if you rewatched all Star Trek movies, although there is a prequel/reset of sorts put later in the series, it's just better to flow with the order they were made.

Iron Man=A+, The Incredible Hulk=C, Iron Man 2=B-, Thor=B, Captain America:The First Avenger=B, The Avengers=A, Iron Man 3=C+, Thor:The Dark World=B-, Captain America:The Winter Soldier=A, Guardians of the Galaxy=A-, Avengers:Age of Ultron=B+, Ant-Man=?, Captain America:Civil War=?, Dr. Strange=?, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2=?, Spider-Man=?, Thor:Ragnarok=?, Avengers:Infinity Wars Part 1=?, Black Panther=?, Captain Marvel=?, Avengers:Infinity Wars Part 2=?, Inhumans=?
Tymminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 06:06 PM   #10
Spider-Fan83
With Great Power...

if you want to avoid spoilers, you should watch FC before the OT

the OT is full of spoilers for FC, especially if your talking about someone completely new to x-men

Last edited by Spider-Fan83; 01-02-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:21 PM   #11
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan83 View Post
OX:W, 2, FC, 3, W, DoFP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post

1, 2, FC, 3, W, DoFP

So I understand how in some way FC could lead to X3, in that the first scene of X3 is a scene which chronologically takes place after FC but I still wonder how would Xavier get his legs back while having no animosity to Magneto? Is it because of that serum in DoFP?

Also how is Phoenix's rebirth intensified?

I also tried thinking of my own Machete Order as well. How's this?:
X-Men
X-Men 2
X-Men 3
The Wolverine
X-Men: First Class
X-Men: Days of Futures Past

The first four are in chronological order with The Wolverine ending with Professor Xavier and Magneto meeting Wolverine letting him know bad stuff is going to go down. Then we flashback to First Class where we are introduced to the young cast and then start off plot arcs like Mystique, James McAvoy's Xavier etc then everything converges in Days of Futures Past and now we move forward with Apocalypse, Gambit, Deadpool, new Wolverine movie etc right?

For obvious reason, X-Men Origins: Wolverine is the only one cut.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 01-10-2015, 06:22 PM   #12
Spider-Fan83
With Great Power...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
So I understand how in some way FC could lead to X3, in that the first scene of X3 is a scene which chronologically takes place after FC but I still wonder how would Xavier get his legs back while having no animosity to Magneto? Is it because of that serum in DoFP?
I could see how that would be confusing, an even take away from the impact of the final scenes of FC... unfortunately we never got a full explanation on that, even with DOFP we just simply got the "btw this never happened" alternate timeline...
...explanation

so, your left to either ignore it, or come up with your own theory...
given the direction of how we saw things going in the DOFP original timeline (before Wolverine intervened)... one could guess that Xavier would have continued to take the serum, an maybe even evenually seek other means of regaining his legs (since we still see him using his powers in addition to being able to walk) it may not be the serum (or given that its set nearly 10 years later) maybe he just prefected the serum so, he has uses of both

off screen explanation (out side of the movie contexts) there was mention in the virtual campaign (task inc., timeline)...
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

(only spoiler wrapped for size)

...that in the original timeline (where Task inc. continued) there was development of DNA_generated artificial limbs (in the mid-late 70's, between DOFP - and the opening scene of TLS)

we could still get an explanation in Apocalypse, since its set in the 80's (but, of course that a new timeline)

in terms of Machete Order, if keeping 3 in, just make a side note to start eh movie 30 second or whatever into the movie, after we see him walking from the car to the house lol

Last edited by Spider-Fan83; 01-10-2015 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:15 PM   #13
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan83 View Post
I could see how that would be confusing, an even take away from the impact of the final scenes of FC... unfortunately we never got a full explanation on that, even with DOFP we just simply got the "btw this never happened" alternate timeline...
...explanation

so, your left to either ignore it, or come up with your own theory...
given the direction of how we saw things going in the DOFP original timeline (before Wolverine intervened)... one could guess that Xavier would have continued to take the serum, an maybe even evenually seek other means of regaining his legs (since we still see him using his powers in addition to being able to walk) it may not be the serum (or given that its set nearly 10 years later) maybe he just prefected the serum so, he has uses of both

off screen explanation (out side of the movie contexts) there was mention in the virtual campaign (task inc., timeline)...
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

(only spoiler wrapped for size)

...that in the original timeline (where Task inc. continued) there was development of DNA_generated artificial limbs (in the mid-late 70's, between DOFP - and the opening scene of TLS)

we could still get an explanation in Apocalypse, since its set in the 80's (but, of course that a new timeline)

in terms of Machete Order, if keeping 3 in, just make a side note to start eh movie 30 second or whatever into the movie, after we see him walking from the car to the house lol
I don't see how Xavier could have used those? I mean he still had his legs albeit they were pretty useless.

I'm going to say that it would be a reasonable assumption that he would have perfected the serum and used it when he was going to visit a very young Jean Grey so his powers do not clash and interact with Jean's out of control over 9000 level abilities she was presenting in the opening of X3. As for why Xavier didn't assault and try to kill Magneto on the spot that day, it is because Jean is so Omega level they actually put aside their differences for this one significant moment like they do in the comics.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 01-10-2015, 09:43 PM   #14
Human Torch
Banned User

I don't cut any of them out.
The way I watch them:

FC
X-M: OW
XM
X2
X3 TLS
TW
DOFP

I believe that's the most chronologically correct way.

Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:00 PM   #15
Snikt
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
I don't cut any of them out.
The way I watch them:

FC
X-M: OW
XM
X2
X3 TLS
TW
DOFP

I believe that's the most chronologically correct way.
This is my order as well. More or less, the most correct viewing order.

Snikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:46 AM   #16
Spider-Fan83
With Great Power...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
to be honest, I wasn't thinking of FC leading into X3, in my "Machete Order" I was more leaving X3 in as a lead into TW... I was kinda breaking it up into continues stories, and had FC breaking them up

OX:W, x2- origins gives us the history of Logan and Stryker, where x2 bring us the conclusion to the story arch (with Logan confronting Stryker) but it also introducing us to some new characters like Xavier, Magneto and Mystique ...

FC- takes it back to give us the back story of those characters (and gives you a little break from Wolverine) other then his cameo

X3, W - the Wolverine makes a lot of references to the events of X3 (mainly in his dreams and flashbacks about Jean) and why he was in exile in the first place... without x3 alot of these scene don't make since

DoFP - you only really need to have seen enough of the other movies to know the characters from the two different periods (old Xavier, young Xavier, ...ect) other then that story wise, it works as a stand alone

Old 01-18-2015, 02:56 PM   #17
First Avenger
Side-Kick

Mine is:

FC
X1
X2
X3
TW
DOFP

First Avenger is online now   Reply With Quote