The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 09:47 PM   #26
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - Part 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextNolan22 View Post
Nice

Old 07-14-2014, 10:06 PM   #27
fake
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - Part 76

Looking at that fan-made poster, I wonder what will be the "Superman walking in handcuffs" pic from this movie. If anyone remembers the long, long wait for anything from MoS between December 2012 to April 2013, all we seemed to get from WB in that time was the picture of Superman walking in handcuffs over and over.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:14 PM   #28
zryson
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - Part 76

I agree, very much with Gary Oldman's comments regarding Batman v Superman Dawn of Justice. As he rightly pointed out "The thing about Nolan, there was some grounding of reality to it... and as fantastical and as big as The Joker was, it was based [on reality]… we (the audience) could relate to it." That's one of the hardest things to do when writing, getting people to relate to it, making the characters solid enough for the audience, giving them an emotional weight; or rather an anchor.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:17 PM   #29
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Audiences can relate to the most fantastic characters and scenarios if the writing is solid enough; see Harry Potter, Star Wars, Star Trek, Avatar, Doctor Who, and a gazillion other Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Sci-Fantasy/Anime fandoms.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
“At DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
Old 07-14-2014, 10:18 PM   #30
zryson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
Audiences can relate to the most fantastic characters and scenarios if the writing is solid enough; see Harry Potter, Star Wars, Star Trek, Avatar, Doctor Who, and a gazillion other Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Sci-Fantasy/Anime fandoms.
I agree; and that can be hard for some writers; because there is usually so much going on in stories, that they can forget to flesh out the characters enough for the audience to relate to them. Especially in superhero films, which can be largely driven by FX and spectacle.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:35 PM   #31
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by zryson View Post
I agree; and that can be hard for some writers; because there is usually so much going on in stories, that they can forget to flesh out the characters enough for the audience to relate to them. Especially in superhero films, which can be largely driven by FX and spectacle.
If you "forget" to flesh out the characters maybe you aren't too good a writer, or just have a terrible memory.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:45 PM   #32
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Agreed. The characters are the grounding in these tales. How they face adversity and react to the world in front of them.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
Old 07-14-2014, 10:46 PM   #33
zryson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
If you "forget" to flesh out the characters maybe you aren't too good a writer, or just have a terrible memory.
That's a fair comment, I think. When it comes to BvS, I'd love to see more of a back story for Lois Lane and also Superman; I think the Zod-neck snap would be a good opportunity for some much needed reflection. I really also want to see much more weight given to the supporting cast; Ma Kent, Alfred, etc.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:59 PM   #34
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
That's a fair comment, I think. When it comes to BvS, I'd love to see more of a back story for Lois Lane and also Superman; I think the Zod-neck snap would be a good opportunity for some much needed reflection. I really also want to see much more weight given to the supporting cast; Ma Kent, Alfred, etc.
I'd rather they not address it at all. It happened, it was controversial, let's move on. I'd rather see them address the collateral damage. Show that Superman regrets it and tries to avoid it at all costs.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:00 PM   #35
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

I watched the finale of MoS a week or so ago, and about the neck snap, my co-watcher said "about time, he should've done that from the beginning."

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
Old 07-14-2014, 11:05 PM   #36
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmanao23 View Post

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 07-14-2014, 11:07 PM   #37
zryson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Scout View Post
I'd rather they not address it at all. It happened, it was controversial, let's move on. I'd rather see them address the collateral damage. Show that Superman regrets it and tries to avoid it at all costs.
But that's just the thing; it did happen and sure it was more controversial than they probably figured upon but to just not address it in the movie would be a terribly shallow move on the writers part.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:08 PM   #38
Hazarddude

Quote:
This.

"I wouldn't have done it if I didn't think I could do it. I have the benefit of a lot of that understanding." BatFleck.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:10 PM   #39
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
But that's just the thing; it did happen and sure it was more controversial than they probably figured upon but to just not address it in the movie would be a terribly shallow move on the writers part.
Normally, I would agree with you, but I've come to a point where I'd rather they just ignore it entirely (or mention it very, very briefly) and focus on what's going on now.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:24 PM   #40
zryson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Normally, I would agree with you, but I've come to a point where I'd rather they just ignore it entirely (or mention it very, very briefly) and focus on what's going on now.
That would be a mistake I think for the new movie. To just skip over it like it never happened. Even many of Man of Steel most ardent fans want to see it addressed. And to just skip over it? To have a character which kills and not follow it up? Nope, I dont like that. Sure Warner Bros might not want to remind people about it, but then they put it in the movie so they should follow it up and address it. After all, it was 'supposed' to be a turning point for Superman, to show why he can never kill again. At least that's what people are expecting to see.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:25 PM   #41
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

We can agree to disagree. I don't really feel like getting into it.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:09 AM   #42
D.P.
Banned User

Diana's power level?

Old 07-15-2014, 01:11 AM   #43
TheNextNolan22
You are an F** ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P. View Post
Diana's power level?

Stop all this positive thinking. Only negativity is allowed in here.
I know we all should respect everybody's opinion and stuff but if you say that Breaking Bad is overrated then you do not deserve any of my respect.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:28 AM   #44
Spider-Aziz
Time to Move on

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P. View Post
Diana's power level?
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

About right

Fan of classic comics? Join here
- ran by great folks
Old 07-15-2014, 01:50 AM   #45
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
About right
Let's hope. Faora, and her ass-kicking, was one of the little things I enjoyed most about MOS.

cheers.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:03 AM   #46
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
I agree. A fantasy world can just be a beautiful embellishment for timeless human emotions. Human beings can probably connect with any character that is written authentically human for them.

Quote:
I would prefer they address it. Superman's break down post-Zod is a depth that he may have already risen from, but such things are never forgotten and I expect Lex/batman to sprinkle salt in those wounds that will never heal completely.

They don't need to beat it like dead horse though and it shouldn't eclipse other things (the collateral damage, like you said) and what's happening in the now.

\S/T*
Old 07-15-2014, 02:12 AM   #47
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

I don't think it's 'necessary' to reference Zod's death. Only if the story at hand requires it.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:25 AM   #48
Tv's Phil
Side-Kick

I would hope MoS is referenced because it was a pretty big deal to not only Superman but also Metropolis and the planet itself.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:18 AM   #49
WBwins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKent26 View Post

They don't need to beat it like dead horse though and it shouldn't eclipse other things (the collateral damage, like you said) and what's happening in the now.
This is the no 1 thing I do not want to see-BVS turn into an apology for MOS.

The way to address the collateral damage is simple
1.Make it clear that the World Engine was responsible for the destruction and loss of lives in Metropolis NOT Superman as incorrectly reported.
2.Show that Superman actually helped rebuild Metropolis(This should have been in the MOS movie).
3.Memorial for those lost in the World engine attack(This should have been in the MOS movie).
4.Show that Superman has become more experienced at the job to prevent such Mass loss of Life.

As for Zods death I dont want BVS to apologise for it.Show that Superman regrets it but he knows he did what he had to do.Move on.

Last edited by WBwins; 07-15-2014 at 03:22 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:27 AM   #50
zryson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tv's Phil View Post
I would hope MoS is referenced because it was a pretty big deal to not only Superman but also Metropolis and the planet itself.
Exactly. If BvS doesnt allow for the consequences of the death of Zod upon Superman, it would be a somewhat hollow move when it comes to the new movie. Granted, WB probably doesnt want to remind audiences about the most controversial aspect from MOS, but I think the death should have effects not only upon Superman, but the citizens of Metropolis as well as the other heroes.

Closed Thread