The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 06:58 AM   #101
Tv's Phil
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - Part 76

It's easy to ignore his doubt since most of us are quite used to Batman existing in a universe with characters even more out there than Superman.
I'll just pretend that he's under the impression that this is a continuation of the Nolan movies.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:58 AM   #102
The Endless
WE are Groot

Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - Part 76

Ehhh i love Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, but Nolan/Bale's Batman himself is pretty lame to me. I don't want this next Batman to be anything like that Batman.

I want this Batman to be fully committed to his crusade and not constantly look for ways to quit, for one thing.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:00 AM   #103
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Nolan does interesting ideas more than he does interesting characters ... he doesn't have many interesting characters actually.

Within TDKT, what was interesting was the idea of Batman, not Batman himself.

Which is perfectly legitimate.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:01 AM   #104
zryson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeiffer-Pfan View Post
Why would Warner Bros. care what Gary Oldman has to say about the movie? He's entitled to his opinion.

It's not his job to promote positivity with the film, but regardless, news is news and as long as people are talking the WB is happy.
Its one thing for a fan to criticize something but when a prominent actor makes comments, well the studios often notice things like that. And having headlines like Oldman isnt optimistic/is skeptical about Batman v Superman Dawn of Justice going global would make a studio less than thrilled.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:03 AM   #105
The Endless
WE are Groot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
Nolan does interesting ideas more than he does interesting characters ... he doesn't have many interesting characters actually.

That's actually a great way of putting it.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:04 AM   #106
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tv's Phil View Post
It's easy to ignore his doubt since most of us are quite used to Batman existing in a universe with characters even more out there than Superman.
I'll just pretend that he's under the impression that this is a continuation of the Nolan movies.
It's entirely possible that Snyder and Goyer were originally hoping to have this take place 15 years after TFKR, with Bale returning.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:07 AM   #107
zryson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
Ehhh i love Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, but Nolan/Bale's Batman himself is pretty lame to me. I don't want this next Batman to be anything like that Batman.

I want this Batman to be fully committed to his crusade and not constantly look for ways to quit, for one thing.
I cant really fault Nolan's Batman universe too much. Sure the voice was over the top, but then I suppose Batman should have an intense growl when he speaks. And Bale as Batman has a lot of screen presence. When he is in the cowl, or not, he carried his own. Again not easy considering how many versions of Batman there have been.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:09 AM   #108
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zryson View Post
Its one thing for a fan to criticize something but when a prominent actor makes comments, well the studios often notice things like that. And having headlines like Oldman isnt optimistic/is skeptical about Batman v Superman Dawn of Justice going global would make a studio less than thrilled.
With less than two years out from the movie... I'm pretty sure WB aren't too worried about one actor's mild opinion on these two characters.

Oldman doesn't even have any upcoming WB films to promote. He's entitled to his opinion and WB will gladly let him have it while also drumming up more free publicity for the movie.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 07-15-2014, 07:09 AM   #109
The Endless
WE are Groot

I can't fault Bale's performances. But i just didn't like how Batman was portrayed in certain aspects.

Not saying it's not a valid portrayal. Batman has been portrayed various ways throughout the years. But it doesn't mean i have to like it.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:13 AM   #110
zryson
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's entirely possible that Snyder and Goyer were originally hoping to have this take place 15 years after TFKR, with Bale returning.
Reportedly the studio tried to entice Bale to continue as Batman but he just wasnt interested. Neither was Affleck interestedly enough when first asked about becoming the new Batman. He had to be convinced to sign onto the film as the new Bruce Wayne/Batman. Affleck has already tried to put some distance between his Batman from the previous with Affleck commenting "the idea for the new Batman is to redefine him in a way that doesn't compete with the Bale and Chris Nolan Batman but still exists within the Batman canon."

Old 07-15-2014, 07:19 AM   #111
zryson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
I can't fault Bale's performances. But i just didn't like how Batman was portrayed in certain aspects.

Not saying it's not a valid portrayal. Batman has been portrayed various ways throughout the years. But it doesn't mean i have to like it.
Bale's Batman was intense; maybe too much in some scenes. But then with actors like Ledger bringing a whole new dimension on screen with his role as The Joker, its probably just as well they went all out. Sure, I might not like to watch the entire trilogy all the time, but I like the first movie in the series quite a bit. When I want a less than intense but still thrilling Batman to watch, I usually put on Batman 89.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:20 AM   #112
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zryson View Post
Reportedly the studio tried to entice Bale to continue as Batman but he just wasnt interested. Neither was Affleck interestedly enough when first asked about becoming the new Batman. He had to be convinced to sign onto the film as the new Bruce Wayne/Batman. Affleck has already tried to put some distance between his Batman from the previous with Affleck commenting "the idea for the new Batman is to redefine him in a way that doesn't compete with the Bale and Chris Nolan Batman but still exists within the Batman canon."
They would be making statements like that regardless of what happened.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:20 AM   #113
Tv's Phil
Side-Kick

Eh, we can't really know what WB planned or discussed early on but I just kinda doubt they meant to ever make Batfleck the same one from the Nolan movies.
Especially given how Rises ended.

Maybe they thought an older Batman would help ease the general audience into a new Bruce even though it was a different canon.
but otherwise, I'll just go with it being Snyder/Goyer's own vision.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:23 AM   #114
zryson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tv's Phil View Post
Eh, we can't really know what WB planned or discussed early on but I just kinda doubt they meant to ever make Batfleck the same one from the Nolan movies.
Especially given how Rises ended.

Maybe they thought an older Batman would help ease the general audience into a new Bruce even though it was a different canon.
but otherwise, I'll just go with it being Snyder/Goyer's own vision.
The ending to Rises was odd. Even Dennis O'Neil didnt like it. Interestingly, had he realized (at the time) when he was at an exclusive screening of the film that Nolan was seated nearby, he would have told him to change the ending. That it didnt fit with the rest of the movie!

Old 07-15-2014, 07:23 AM   #115
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

From a marketing perspective, having BvS be 15 years after TDKR, with Bale having returned but angry and weary, to fight against Cav-El in a Dark Knight Returns style storyline, would have been epic.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:28 AM   #116
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Bale was never coming back as Batman for anyone but Nolan at the helm.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:30 AM   #117
zryson
Side-Kick

Quote:
From a marketing perspective, having BvS be 15 years after TDKR, with Bale having returned but angry and weary, to fight against Cav-El in a Dark Knight Returns style storyline, would have been epic.
That would have been very cool! Can just imagine, Bale weary as Batman donning the mask once more. "He has to be stopped Alfred." Plus to see a war-torn Gotham, two much older seasoned superheroes battling it out? And with Nolan? Wow.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:31 AM   #118
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
Bale was never coming back as Batman for anyone but Nolan at the helm.
I agree with this statement.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
Old 07-15-2014, 07:37 AM   #119
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

I love Nolan's movie. I think Batman himself was great, and really relatable. That said, I'm more than ready for a new take on the character, one who will probably never quit, even if he knows this is a... endless war.

I'm dancing the Batusi in front of Bane Hardy
Old 07-15-2014, 07:44 AM   #120
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
I love Nolan's movie. I think Batman himself was great, and really relatable. That said, I'm more than ready for a new take on the character, one who will probably never quit, even if he knows this is a... endless war.
BB is excellent. TDK is legendary. TDKR has some good elements as well, even if not as cohesive. I'm ready for a new interpretation too. Retiring isn't completely foreign to the character - it is a legitimate take, and I think it's important to note Nolan made a trilogy with a beginning, middle and end. This Batman in comparison, as you say, seems to be "the war goes on" model.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
Old 07-15-2014, 07:47 AM   #121
zryson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
BB is excellent. TDK is legendary. TDKR has some good elements as well, even if not as cohesive. I'm ready for a new interpretation too. Retiring isn't completely foreign to the character - it is a legitimate take, and I think it's important to note Nolan made a trilogy with a beginning, middle and end. This Batman in comparison, as you say, seems to be "the war goes on" model.
Batman Begins is probably my favorite film to watch out of the Nolan films since its less intense than the following TDK with Ledger as The Joker. BB did for Batman I think what the much earlier STM did for Superman. It propelled the characters and began a new franchise on solid foundation.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:49 AM   #122
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

Batman quitting is really a earth 2 batman kind of take. Especially him quitting with selina as his wife. So when people say it's not like in the comics, I'm always surprised.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:43 AM   #123
HaplessHenchman
Goon for hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLarenMP4 View Post
Just had to look it up myself but nothing too bad, just that Batman being in the fantastical world of Superman will be weird essentially.

https://uk.yahoo.com/movies/gary-old...765680981.html
I don't understand. He seems to be questioning the logic of having BM and SM together in the same movie universe. Does he not realize that BM and SM have been together in the same comic book universe for...well...forever?

Old 07-15-2014, 08:49 AM   #124
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

no, that's spiderman.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:14 AM   #125
Spider-Aziz
Everything is Batman

Quote:

That's a nice way of putting it

Note to some of the Hype! oldies: Want to take the Lounge back? Come and take it, it's not like there is a territorial battle to win it, it's the land of the free to lounge. Make it multiflavored, make it interesting.
Closed Thread