Old 07-15-2014, 10:49 AM   #2
roach
I am the night

Default Re: Thor replaced by female Thor

Old 07-15-2014, 10:52 AM   #3
roach
I am the night

In a follow-up press release, Jason Arron stressed that the new Thor is just that: Thor.

This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is THOR. This is the THOR of the Marvel Universe. But it’s unlike any Thor we’ve ever seen before," Aaron said.

The new female Thor will launch in a new series with a new first issue, Thor #1, launching in the fall. Aaron will stay on as writer, joined by artist Russell Dauterman, coming off of Cyclops. The press release also says this is "a brand new female hero," seemingly putting to rest speculation that the newly-revealed sister of Thor, Angela, would take up the hammer.

I'm not sure how that works since Thor is the guys name not his title.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:11 AM   #4
SuperheroMethod
Banned User

I'm all for diversity but just randomly changing the sex of a character seems cynical. Doesn't this type of sensationalized shift draw attention to the different sex of the character rather than dismiss its importance? The character design looks great but it makes me think they didn't feel a female solo title would sell as well as simply altering an existing male title.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-S...97522736975123
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SuperheroMethod
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/superheromethod/
Tumblr: http://thesuperheromethod.tumblr.com/

SuperheroMethod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:18 AM   #5
Colossal Spoons
Paper boi

Nope. Nope. Nope. :

Old 07-15-2014, 11:36 AM   #6
piccolo
Doom is watching you

Well, one less book to read each month.

Had a lot of respect for Jason Aaron. Couldn't be more disappointed.

piccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:42 AM   #7
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

This has to be the single dumbest idea I have read.

Avvy by Hunter Rider

H.E.
Hush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:43 AM   #8
seahammer
Asgardian

Whoa! Gut reaction is negative, and I agree that this does feel like sensationalism, etc. However, I will try to post some positives:

1. Aaron is staying on. I think he really gets the character, AND he has written some good female supporting characters in his time on the title so far.
2. "Thor" has been a lot of things. He was a frog. Mjolnir was wielded by a horse-faced alien who was initially an antagonist, as well as mortal Eric Masterson for quite some time. None of that was permanent, and in retrospect those were great stories that have contributed to the Thor mythos (regardless of backlash at the original time of publication). This won't be permanent either, and even if it lasts a year, that's just 12 issues out of HUNDREDS of issues in the overall Thor narrative. I don't mind that it's a woman... other than the gender this seems pretty similar to the Eric Masterson situation.
3. I know this is just my opinion, and not everyone feels this way, but I personally LIKE stories that explore what it means to be "Worthy," and this story looks like it would address that.
4. Thor isn't being cancelled, like he was in the 2000's for a couple of years. The status quo is being shaken up, but that can really great for the creatives who hold the reins.

I'm sure there are plenty of other positive spins to put on this as well, these are just a few that popped into my mind. If someone asked me what would be the ideal Thor story, would this be my answer? No way. But is it the end of the world? No. What I want are good Thor stories, and whether or not this will be a good story remains to be seen, but at least we have a writer who (by all appearances) loves and respects the character.

Read my Thor 3 plot pitch or how I would use Beta Ray Bill in the MCU

Read my Tales of Asgard mini-series pitch or my Son of Asgard flashback style Netflix pitch
seahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:44 AM   #9
roach
I am the night

I like how they are praising this idea like it's revolutionary and never been done before

Old 07-15-2014, 11:54 AM   #10
piccolo
Doom is watching you

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahammer View Post
Whoa! Gut reaction is negative, and I agree that this does feel like sensationalism, etc. However, I will try to post some positives:

1. Aaron is staying on. I think he really gets the character, AND he has written some good female supporting characters in his time on the title so far.
2. "Thor" has been a lot of things. He was a frog. Mjolnir was wielded by a horse-faced alien who was initially an antagonist, as well as mortal Eric Masterson for quite some time. None of that was permanent, and in retrospect those were great stories that have contributed to the Thor mythos (regardless of backlash at the original time of publication). This won't be permanent either, and even if it lasts a year, that's just 12 issues out of HUNDREDS of issues in the overall Thor narrative. I don't mind that it's a woman... other than the gender this seems pretty similar to the Eric Masterson situation.
3. I know this is just my opinion, and not everyone feels this way, but I personally LIKE stories that explore what it means to be "Worthy," and this story looks like it would address that.
4. Thor isn't being cancelled, like he was in the 2000's for a couple of years. The status quo is being shaken up, but that can really great for the creatives who hold the reins.

I'm sure there are plenty of other positive spins to put on this as well, these are just a few that popped into my mind. If someone asked me what would be the ideal Thor story, would this be my answer? No way. But is it the end of the world? No. What I want are good Thor stories, and whether or not this will be a good story remains to be seen, but at least we have a writer who (by all appearances) loves and respects the character.
Have fun.

piccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:56 AM   #11
seahammer
Asgardian

^Haha, thanks, I'll try. Only time will tell how this pans out, so let's not get the pitchforks yet, that's all I'm really saying.

Here's Marvel's official press release:
http://marvel.com/news/comics/2014/7..._presents_thor

Marvel is excited to announce an all-new era for the God of Thunder in brand new series, THOR, written by Jason Aaron complimented with art from Russell Dauterman.

This October, Marvel Comics evolves once again in one of the most shocking and exciting changes ever to shake one of the “big three” of Captain America, Iron Man and Thor. No longer is the classic Thunder God able to hold the mighty hammer, Mjölnir, and a brand new female hero will emerge worthy of the name THOR.

Who is she? Where did she come from and what is her connection to Asgard and the Marvel Universe?

“The inscription on Thor's hammer reads ‘Whosoever holds this hammer, if HE be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.’ Well it's time to update that inscription,” says Marvel editor Wil Moss. “The new Thor continues Marvel's proud tradition of strong female characters like Captain Marvel, Storm, Black Widow and more. And this new Thor isn't a temporary female substitute - she's now the one and only Thor, and she is worthy!”

Series writer Jason Aaron emphasizes, “This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is THOR. This is the THOR of the Marvel Universe. But it’s unlike any Thor we’ve ever seen before.”

THOR is the latest in the ever-growing and long list of female-centric titles that continues to invite new readers into the Marvel Universe. THOR will be the 8th title to feature a lead female protagonist and aims to speak directly to an audience that long was not the target for super hero comic books in America: women and girls.

Read my Tales of Asgard mini-series pitch or my Son of Asgard flashback style Netflix pitch
Old 07-15-2014, 11:57 AM   #12
Colossal Spoons
Paper boi

Everybody was guessing maybe Valkyrie or Tarene was getting a solo book. Did not see this coming.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:59 AM   #13
seahammer
Asgardian

Also, "Unworthy Thor" looks pretty awesome, and this image indicates that we will still have the Thor that we've been following since 1963.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:00 PM   #14
Colossal Spoons
Paper boi

^That a new series? At least the dude's still around and has Jarnbjorn.

Quote:
^Haha, thanks, I'll try. Only time will tell how this pans out, so let's not get the pitchforks yet, that's all I'm really saying.

Here's Marvel's official press release:
http://marvel.com/news/comics/2014/7..._presents_thor

Marvel is excited to announce an all-new era for the God of Thunder in brand new series, THOR, written by Jason Aaron complimented with art from Russell Dauterman.

This October, Marvel Comics evolves once again in one of the most shocking and exciting changes ever to shake one of the “big three” of Captain America, Iron Man and Thor. No longer is the classic Thunder God able to hold the mighty hammer, Mjölnir, and a brand new female hero will emerge worthy of the name THOR.

Who is she? Where did she come from and what is her connection to Asgard and the Marvel Universe?

“The inscription on Thor's hammer reads ‘Whosoever holds this hammer, if HE be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.’ Well it's time to update that inscription,” says Marvel editor Wil Moss. “The new Thor continues Marvel's proud tradition of strong female characters like Captain Marvel, Storm, Black Widow and more. And this new Thor isn't a temporary female substitute - she's now the one and only Thor, and she is worthy!”

Series writer Jason Aaron emphasizes, “This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is THOR. This is the THOR of the Marvel Universe. But it’s unlike any Thor we’ve ever seen before.”

THOR is the latest in the ever-growing and long list of female-centric titles that continues to invite new readers into the Marvel Universe. THOR will be the 8th title to feature a lead female protagonist and aims to speak directly to an audience that long was not the target for super hero comic books in America: women and girls.
Well I'm glad they came out and said it. Good luck with that.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:02 PM   #15
BLACKVULCAN
Token Black Superfriend

whoaa baby! i think Corps1 is going flip his hammer over this! look what they done to his Thor!!
though i think he looks kinda hot! eh! how about good stories and not sex changing shenanigans!

Justice-- like lightning-- !!
BLACKVULCAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:07 PM   #16
seahammer
Asgardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossal Spoons View Post
^That a new series? At least the dude's still around and has Jarnbjorn.
I don't know if it's a new series, the image was put out with the press release. To me it indicates that he will still be part of the title, in some way.

But if the female Thor is "Thor," and is called "Thor," it will have to be explained how this "Thor" still exists, and what will we call him?

As I said before, I'm just hoping for a good story from this, but I'm not ready to call it quits on the title/author just yet. Looking for the positives, not just being an apologist...

Old 07-15-2014, 12:12 PM   #17
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...

Where's Donald Blake????

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype.
It's like rock'n roll never happened."
Themanofbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:16 PM   #18
Colossal Spoons
Paper boi

Quote:
I don't know if it's a new series, the image was put out with the press release. To me it indicates that he will still be part of the title, in some way.
As much as I hate stories about fallen heroes needing to redeem themselves, I guess it's better than him just being completely absent.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:17 PM   #19
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanofbat View Post
Where's Donald Blake????

I'm trying to forget what Fraction did to him.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #20
seahammer
Asgardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossal Spoons View Post
As much as I hate stories about fallen heroes needing to redeem themselves, I guess it's better than him just being completely absent.
Hey, maybe it will give us a chance to see Thor being a bad@ss anti-hero, doing some things he normally doesn't get the chance to do.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:24 PM   #21
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Aaron's run on Thor: GOT has been stellar, so I'm willing to buy the first volume of the title, based on his work alone. Truth be told, this shakeup is not going to be permanent: Thor will be restored to the front of the comic by the time Thor 3 rolls out, or TA 2, at the absolute earliest. Changes such as these are going to create even more butthurt fanboys, but it's not permanent; it's Superior Spider-Man, all over again. I pity Aaron and Marvel, as I bet my royalty check they're going to receive death threats over this.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:40 PM   #22
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Also, my educated guess is that the new Thor is going to be Angela.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:52 PM   #23
kane9321
oakland's finest

Cool ...one less book i gotta buy

Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
The X-Men films are like an abusive boyfriend.
They treat you well, (X-Men 1 and 2) and then they show their true colors (X3 and Wolverine: Origins), then they promise that they can change (X-Men: First Class and The Wolverine), now you see them with a prostitute. (X-Men: DOTFP)
kane9321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:54 PM   #24
Webfoot Hero
West Coaster

Quote:

But if the female Thor is "Thor," and is called "Thor," it will have to be explained how this "Thor" still exists, and what will we call him?

As I said before, I'm just hoping for a good story from this, but I'm not ready to call it quits on the title/author just yet. Looking for the positives, not just being an apologist...
That's my question as well. What have they done before when Thor was dispossessed of Mjolnir?

I may give this a try but I still don't get why they can't introduce a new female hero without having to resort to using a recognized name to guide them into the Marvel universe.

Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:55 PM   #25
herakles
Side-Kick

Jason Aaron is a MORON! Why not make Hulk or Wolverine a woman!! This is BS!

herakles is online now   Reply With Quote