The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 07-17-2014, 02:57 AM   #1
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Default Fox might buy Warner Brothers / Time Warner

http://www.deadline.com/2014/07/murd...warner-merger/

Aside from CNN and Fox News being owned by the same company if this happened (which would be fitting in my opinion), it would also mean that the Justice League is owned by the same company making the films to X-Men and Fantastic Four.

Thoughts?

PS Before some pedantic troll whines that this isn't the proper forum, this forum is the most active on the forum and is where the most DC fans hang out by a huge mile, this is where the potential implications are most likely to be discussed. Though it wouldn't affect this particular movie, it would affect the sequels.

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:00 AM   #2
TheNextNolan22
Oh Hi There Mistah J!

Default Re: Fox might buy Warner Brothers / Time Warner

I'd rather Time Warner stay independent.

TheNextNolan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:21 AM   #3
MrsKent26
Whatever.

This only affects me if it affects these movies. I'm indifferent until it has an implication I would consider negative on this series of movies.

\S/T*
MrsKent26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:51 AM   #4
Gu3ree
Side-Kick

Murdock...

Gu3ree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:01 AM   #5
Maze
Proud AquaMomoa inventor

I don't really believe that it will happen, but i prefer anyways that Warner stay independent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zryson
Is it real? Or a wig? Maybe he wears a wig in the movie cause he is bald and then at the end of the movie he rips off the wig and throws it at Superman.
Maze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:22 AM   #6
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Either way, I doubt this will effect whatever artistic merit (if any) that remains for the DCCU.

It's just rich people getting richer.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Sharkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:07 AM   #7
scifiwolf
Side-Kick

Not sure why this is being discussed. The news came out AFtER the offer was rejected, and Time Warner has no desire whatsoever to hear any more from Murdoch.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:26 AM   #8
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

The last two posts sums everything up perfectly.

Fallen Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:54 AM   #9
LordofhouseEl
Side-Kick

I nearly fainted reading the title, the last few posts have put my mind at ease.

LordofhouseEl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:50 AM   #10
HaplessHenchman
Goon for hire

Yeah, this isn't happening. Too many anti-trust issues for regulators to ever allow it.

HaplessHenchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:00 AM   #11
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

If it does, I don't see much being different.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:01 AM   #12
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifiwolf View Post
Not sure why this is being discussed. The news came out AFtER the offer was rejected, and Time Warner has no desire whatsoever to hear any more from Murdoch.
He's going to try again. The first offer was mostly stock (60%). There are reports claiming that they may increase the cash portion of the offer by 40% so that it is more cash than stock. The Time-Warner board, though feels that the offer ($80 billion) is too little.

I know folks are thinking right off the bat that we may get to see team-ups between the DC and Marvel franchises of Superman, Batman, Justice League, X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Wolverine if this deal went through, but there are also some other possibilities that would have opened up as well:

Last edited by dnno1; 07-17-2014 at 10:05 AM.
dnno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:09 AM   #13
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

As it's been said regulators wouldn't allow such a monopoly to emerge.

Fallen Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:17 AM   #14
LEVITIKUZ
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Justice League VS X-Men

BRING IT ON!!!

LEVITIKUZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:20 AM   #15
LordofhouseEl
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVITIKUZ View Post
Justice League VS X-Men

BRING IT ON!!!
Who really wants to see Wolverine beating on Supes because you know that is what will happen. Or better yet Wolverine stealing Lois and Jean and having a threesome.

LordofhouseEl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:24 AM   #16
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
As it's been said regulators wouldn't allow such a monopoly to emerge.
Part of the offer that fell trough was that Time-Warner would spinoff CNN so as to avoid any anti-trust issues concerning the deal. If they want it to happen they would do what is necessary to make it happen.

Last edited by dnno1; 07-17-2014 at 12:56 PM.
dnno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:55 AM   #17
Lord
All Mighty

Didn't know this would be possible, forgot the networks Fox has. When it comes too movies, Warner Bros is still bigger.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:01 AM   #18
ZIPBAGS
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordofhouseEl View Post
Wolverine stealing Lois and Jean and having a threesome.
You say that like its a bad thing.

ZIPBAGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:13 PM   #19
Zarex
Side-Kick

There could be interesting developments for comicbook movie fans as a result of a FOX/WB merger. Redundant assets are typically sold off in order to reduce post-merger debt loads. CNN will need to find a new home, and both Disney and CBS has been named as potential buyers.

If the merger happens, the FF and X-Men cinematic rights may be considered redundant assets. Investment in the DC superhero universe has the potential to be much more lucrative given that the combined entity holds merchandising, animation, TV and video game rights along with cinematic rights. Would Murdoch and Disney incoporate Marvel cinematic rights in a post-merger deal involving CNN? What about distribution rights for the original Star Wars film? The fallout could be interesting.

Zarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:20 PM   #20
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
There could be interesting developments for comicbook movie fans as a result of a FOX/WB merger. Redundant assets are typically sold off in order to reduce post-merger debt loads. CNN will need to find a new home, and both Disney and CBS has been named as potential buyers.

If the merger happens, the FF and X-Men cinematic rights may be considered redundant assets. Investment in the DC superhero universe has the potential to be much more lucrative given that the combined entity holds merchandising, animation, TV and video game rights along with cinematic rights. Would Murdoch and Disney incoporate Marvel cinematic rights in a post-merger deal involving CNN? What about distribution rights for the original Star Wars film? The fallout could be interesting.
I don't think you can look at film franchises are redundant assets, for they are wealth generating capital. FOX will keep those properties as long as they are making money for the company. CNN on the other hand would be sold off because should it be kept it would look like a anti-trust issue (FOX would have their FOX News string of channels, which offer the same sort of content that the CNN/Headline news channels would offer and - at least on cable - there would be fewer networks providing news).

Old 07-17-2014, 01:44 PM   #21
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post
I don't think you can look at film franchises are redundant assets, for they are wealth generating capital. FOX will keep those properties as long as they are making money for the company.
You're may be right. But a combined FOX/WB would have less incentive to invest in the X-Men and FF franchises and potential spin offs since the company doesn't own the underlying IP. If the DCU takes off, the returns for a "Secret Six" film could be much more lucrative due to ancillary rights than an "X-Force" film. Could the FF and X-Men be FOX's version of the Power Rangers, which Disney sold off after acquiring Marvel?

If Disney enters talks with FOX/WB to buy CNN, my guess is that Iger and company will at least mention the other properties FOX is holding that the Mouse wants to get their hands on. Post merger, Murdoch may be open to listening.

Zarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:48 PM   #22
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

CNN would not be an issue .
Murdoch would have to sell it off to avoid anti trust problems .

Mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:08 PM   #23
Mr. Gatsby
The Great Gatsby

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifiwolf View Post
This! I see no reason as to why WB would accept any offer, let alone a lowball offer like the one they received. I don't think people should be making a huge deal out of this (or they at least shouldn't panic). I believe Jeff Bewkes has said they're not listening to any further propositions from Fox.

Mr. Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:11 PM   #24
Mr. Gatsby
The Great Gatsby

And I doubt they would let this news of a rejected offer come out if they were still entertaining the idea of being bought. I'd think that if they were considering a merger they'd keep all this information on the downlow until after a deal came through.

Mr. Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:29 PM   #25
BatFan1979
The Fan Batman Needs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post
I don't think you can look at film franchises are redundant assets, for they are wealth generating capital. FOX will keep those properties as long as they are making money for the company. CNN on the other hand would be sold off because should it be kept it would look like a anti-trust issue (FOX would have their FOX News string of channels, which offer the same sort of content that the CNN/Headline news channels would offer and - at least on cable - there would be fewer networks providing news).
Especially when DOFP has grossed as much as it has - on the verge of $750M WW! With Apocalypse coming out in a couple years, and the mounds of cash it'll bring in (even more then DOFP I suspect), I don't see that IP ever being sold off and going to Disney/Marvel.

As much as it pains me to admit it, I kinda agree with zryson.
~ Naked Bat
BatFan1979 is offline   Reply With Quote