The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 07-21-2014, 08:16 PM   #1
Gu3ree
Side-Kick

Default The only thing I don't like about the Justice League...

is that there are not enough women. One woman? That's it? I loved the Justice League animated series, growing up, and I think, better than the comics. I think that's because the show had a better balance than the comics, and that's what made the show successful. One, they had a black guy, John Stewertand two, they had at least two women, Wonder Woman and Hawkgirl.

In the 90's-2000's, the comics essentially 8 members, Superman, Batman, Flash, Kyle Rayner's Green Lantern, Aquaman, Plastic-Man (Whatever happened to him?), Martian Manhunter...and Wonder Woman.

I love Wonder Woman, don't get me wrong, but I have been really unhappy with the the number of men and whitey-mighties, and just one female member in the league. I'm only talking about the main 7-8 members, not the allies.

I know they've made changes in the comics now, with Cyborg, being a black guy in the league, still not a fan of him, I would have prefered John Stewert's Green Lantern, at least that's one black member....but still only ONE WOMAN in the league. Just Wonder Woman isn't enough.

I think Justice League could be all the more successful if they add Hawkgirl...or whatever works for their movie. Supergirl?

Gu3ree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:23 PM   #2
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Default Re: The only thing I don't like about the Justice League...

I'd rather we get Halle Jordan than Hawkgirl.

Last edited by FeedOnATreeFrog; 07-21-2014 at 08:27 PM.
FeedOnATreeFrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:24 PM   #3
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

My vote goes to Jessie Jonzz

Fallen Angel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:26 PM   #4
Pickleweasel
Side-Kick

What does the current Justice League comic have anything to do with Batman v. Superman? you should try the dc comics forum.

Pickleweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:27 PM   #5
TheNextNolan22
Bork Hungry! Bork Smash!

I prefer Clarissa Kent myself.

TheNextNolan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:51 PM   #6
tacit-ronin-
Moria Orc

Why is it that when people talk of diversity the only thing they mention is if the character is either a woman or black?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
This thread is the Ebola of the Hype.

Ironically enough, much more so than the actual Ebola thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
This really is how the Unabomber got started. I guarantee it.
tacit-ronin- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:54 PM   #7
BatmanVSuperman
Gothopolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacit-ronin- View Post
Why is it that when people talk of diversity the only thing they mention is if the character is either a woman or black?
I have no idea. I said in another thread how I'd like to see some Asian, middle eastern, etc... heroes on film. It's like everytime there is an Asian it is for karate. A lot of times when it is a Arab person they make them a bad guy/or terrorist

Old 07-21-2014, 08:56 PM   #8
Hazarddude
Disclaimer: Not a dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanVSuperman View Post
I have no idea. I said in another thread how I'd like to see some Asian, middle eastern, etc... heroes on film. It's like everytime there is an Asian it is for karate. A lot of times when it is a Arab person they make them a bad guy/or terrorist
That's true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theShape View Post
Yeah! More neck-snappings and spear-impalings! No booties, doe.
Hazarddude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:59 PM   #9
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Get Simon Baz in there Arab American Green Lantern.

Fallen Angel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:01 PM   #10
BatmanVSuperman
Gothopolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazarddude View Post
That's true.
With that being true, there are still many from groups that complain for more screen time even though they are comparably overrepresented in film rather than underrepresented.

Consider that the majority of popular superheroes happen to be men, it makes sense that men are playing them. When it comes to the whole racial topic of black guys in superhero films I still contend they are represented far more in movies than their population.

Keep in mind in terms of America, that whites are like 80% of population and black men in particular are only 6%. I think they are represented more than their population in film to be honest. Like I said in that other thread we have Fury, Falcon, Johnny, Iron Patriot, and some others that are major players.

Where are the Asian, Hispanic, Arab, etc... heroes???

Old 07-21-2014, 09:05 PM   #11
Hazarddude
Disclaimer: Not a dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanVSuperman View Post
With that being true, there are still many from groups that complain for more screen time even though they are comparably overrepresented in film rather than underrepresented.

Consider that the majority of popular superheroes happen to be men, it makes sense that men are playing them. When it comes to the whole racial topic of black guys in superhero films I still contend they are represented far more in movies than their population.

Keep in mind in terms of America, that whites are like 80% of population and black men in particular are only 6%. I think they are represented more than their population in film to be honest. Like I said in that other thread we have Fury, Falcon, Johnny, Iron Patriot, and some others that are major players.

Where are the Asian, Hispanic, Arab, etc... heroes???
All good points, all good points. But did you know DC has a "diveristy" crisis? They are racist and homophobic. This author says so it's true.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...quo-rules.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by theShape View Post
Yeah! More neck-snappings and spear-impalings! No booties, doe.
Hazarddude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:07 PM   #12
Rorschach2012
$

Doesn't bother me in the least. Just like Black Widow in The Avengers didn't bother me

Women will be well represented in the justice league, quit complaining

Rorschach2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:09 PM   #13
Rorschach2012
$

Let's shoehorn a female character into the team in favor of a more popular and beloved male superhero for the sake of diversity!!!!

I'm sorry but there are so many other male DC heroes id rather see on the team over Hawkgirl or Supergirl. Most of Dcs best heroes are male.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:00 PM   #14
The Guard
Side-Kick

Umm...there are plenty of female characters in various incarnations of the league.

Occassional members and otherwise.

This is just silly.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:00 PM   #15
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gu3ree View Post
is that there are not enough women. One woman? That's it? I loved the Justice League animated series, growing up, and I think, better than the comics. I think that's because the show had a better balance than the comics, and that's what made the show successful. One, they had a black guy, John Stewertand two, they had at least two women, Wonder Woman and Hawkgirl.

In the 90's-2000's, the comics essentially 8 members, Superman, Batman, Flash, Kyle Rayner's Green Lantern, Aquaman, Plastic-Man (Whatever happened to him?), Martian Manhunter...and Wonder Woman.

I love Wonder Woman, don't get me wrong, but I have been really unhappy with the the number of men and whitey-mighties, and just one female member in the league. I'm only talking about the main 7-8 members, not the allies.

I know they've made changes in the comics now, with Cyborg, being a black guy in the league, still not a fan of him, I would have prefered John Stewert's Green Lantern, at least that's one black member....but still only ONE WOMAN in the league. Just Wonder Woman isn't enough.

I think Justice League could be all the more successful if they add Hawkgirl...or whatever works for their movie. Supergirl?

Here's a list of superheroes that have been in runs of the JLA that are not white males, right off the top of my head:

Vixen, Vibe, John Stewart, Big Barda, Powergirl, Doctor Light, Huntress, Fire, Ice, Hawkwoman, Steel, Black Lightning, Zatanna, Doctor Fate (Inza Nelson), Crimson Fox (Twins), Gypsy, Black Canary... And no, they are not "allies" or whatever. They were all members of the active duty teams of their respective eras. You seem to have forgotten that Huntress and Big Barda were members during the 1990's Morrison run. The team has had it's share of non white, non male members. Sure, it could stand to have more, just like the Avengers, but both teams have had more than one female member at a time, and both have had non white members. In fact, when the late and very great Dwayne Macduffie was writing a run of JLA featuring a handful of non white, non male characters in the roster there were quite a few voices that screamed out that he was "forcing diversity". Which is silly. Your cries of "there's really no non white, non male members of the JLA" is only SLIGHTLY less silly. There surely can and should be more in the future across media. But WW is by far not the only female member of the League and there have been non white members before. Please, think before you post.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
KRYPTON INC. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:06 PM   #16
MrsKent26
Whatever.

If they were going to add another female to the main JL roster for BvS, I'd prefer Hawkgirl, Zatanna or Vixen.

\S/T*
MrsKent26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:14 PM   #17
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKent26 View Post
If they were going to add another female to the main JL roster for BvS, I'd prefer Hawkgirl, Zatanna or Vixen.
I would so want Vixen, HawkWOMAN (When a female character is over 21 we really should cut the GIRL out) with Hawkman, and Zatanna in future JL films. Vixen in the comics has TONS of potential but no one taps into it. As for the Hawks, the duo thing with a married couple could really be mined for some epic stuff, especially if you adapt the reincarnation angle. Also, another duo that I think could bring a different vibe are Ralph ans Sue Dibney. Elongated Man and Sue are awesome sauce with a cherry on top, and are tailor made for witty banter on screen. As was pointed out in the comics, Sue with no super powers or secret ID, or schtick in general was made an honorary member of the League. Not even Lois or Selena are honorary members.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:29 PM   #18
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
I would so want Vixen, HawkWOMAN (When a female character is over 21 we really should cut the GIRL out) with Hawkman, and Zatanna in future JL films. Vixen in the comics has TONS of potential but no one taps into it. As for the Hawks, the duo thing with a married couple could really be mined for some epic stuff, especially if you adapt the reincarnation angle. Also, another duo that I think could bring a different vibe are Ralph ans Sue Dibney. Elongated Man and Sue are awesome sauce with a cherry on top, and are tailor made for witty banter on screen. As was pointed out in the comics, Sue with no super powers or secret ID, or schtick in general was made an honorary member of the League. Not even Lois or Selena are honorary members.

I don't know much about those last ones you mentioned, but I'd be open to them. With good writing, even more obscure characters could be interesting and decidedly fresh on screen. An expanded roster would promote character interactions that don't conform to the common status quo.

\S/T*
Old 07-21-2014, 10:41 PM   #19
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't know much about those last ones you mentioned, but I'd be open to them. With good writing, even more obscure characters could be interesting and decidedly fresh on screen. An expanded roster would promote character interactions that don't conform to the common status quo.
Here's the quick 411 on Ralph and Sue. Ralph Dibney was a back up character in the silver age Flash comics and a Barry Allen Flash ally. His power is near Plastic Man/Reed Richards styled pliability. But his real talent is that he's a world class detective the works on a Batman like level, though of course his personality is WAY different than ole Batsy. Ralph is gregarious, fun loving with a zest for life and travel. Eventually he meets his wife Sue, who is a wealthy socialite that falls for Ralph's charm and sense of humor. Sue is a sharp cookie in her own right and despite the high society upbringing and her own charming demeanor, is very blunt and to the point and sees through most peoples bs. She and Ralph traveled the world solving mysteries seemingly just for the fun of it. No angst, no grand conspiracy... They did it cause... Why not? Why not have a marriage based on living a grand adventure? Eventually Ralph got a gig with the JLA and Sue came along as a package deal.

Last edited by KRYPTON INC.; 07-21-2014 at 10:46 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:45 PM   #20
Boom
I got nothin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextNolan22 View Post
I prefer Clarissa Kent myself.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:51 PM   #21
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Here's the quick 411 on Ralph and Sue. Ralph Dibney was a back up character in the silver age Flash comics and a Barry Allen Flash ally. His power is near Plastic Man/Reed Richards styled pliability. But his real talent is that he's a world class detective the works on a Batman like level, though of course his personality is WAY different than ole Batsy. Ralph is gregarious, fun loving with a zest for life and travel. Eventually he meets his wife Sue, who is a wealthy socialite that falls for Ralph's charm and sense of humor. Sue is a sharp cookie in her own right and despite the high society upbringing and her own charming demeanor, is very blunt and to the point and sees through most peoples bs. She and Ralph traveled the world solving mysteries seemingly just for the fun of it. No angst, no grand conspiracy... They did it cause... Why not? Why not have a marriage based on living a grand adventure? Eventually Ralph got a gig with the JLA and Sue came along as a package deal.
You know, they sound like a quirky and amusing duo. I wouldn't mind such an off-beat addition to the JL.

\S/T*
Old 07-21-2014, 11:03 PM   #22
geetard
The Amazon Smile

Wait, so you want at least another female superhero in the JL roster? But... but... people will complain about the movie being overcrowded!!!

geetard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:09 PM   #23
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
You know, they sound like a quirky and amusing duo. I wouldn't mind such an off-beat addition to the JL.
Green Arrow and Black Canary, Hawkman and Hawkwoman, and The Elongated Man and his wife Sue (The Dibneys) are the three real "couples" of the JLA. I would love to see any or all brought into the DCCU in some way.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:21 PM   #24
Majik1387
Casting Extraordinaire ;D

Black Canary, Zatanna, and Vixen please.

No to Hawkgirl, Supergirl, Power Girl.

Majik1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:01 AM   #25
Rorschach2012
$

If they add more women to the team, Zatanna or Hawkgirl would be my top picks

Black Canary could join but IMO she's a package deal with Green Arrow. I have no interest in seeing Black Canary without GA.

Superman
Batman
Wonder Woman
A Green Lantern
A Flash
Cyborg
Aquaman
Martian Manhunter
Cyborg
Green Arrow

I'd introduce those heroes first, then you can get to Hawkgirl, Black Canary and Zatanna

Supergirl should be introduced in a Superman sequel