The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Hype RPG Games > Comic Books & Genre RPG's

Old 07-25-2014, 09:38 PM   #26
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Default Re: DC: Year One-- Sign-Up/OOC Thread

No surprise from me, but I think I'll retract the Martian Manhunter app and try for something a bit more... to my comfort zone.

Mood Music

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Character Name: John Constantine

Alignment (Hero, Villain, Walking the Line): WTL

Character Speech Color and Font (actually say what it is, like Blue Comic Sans): Georgia Bold and black

Powers and Abilities:

John Constantine is a mage who can preform a variety of spells, though he only uses them as a last resort. His knowledge on magic, spells, curses, and the charms of the arcane is extensive bordering on encyclopedic. Constantine is also a trained stage magician and escape artist with abilities in sleight of hand, pickpocketing, and hypnosis. In addition to that he is a first rate conman and manipulator who once tricked the devil himself.

Character Origin/Backstory:

John Constantine (Pronounced so it rhymes with nine) was born in Liverpool, England in 1975 to Marry Anne and Thomas Constantine. His mother died in childbirth, leaving the baby and his older sister Cheryl alone with their father, who hated and resented John for the death of his wife. A religious man, Thomas threw himself into the Bible and enacted petty revenge on John by severely punishing the boy for the slightest transgressions. Young John rebelled from his dad by embracing the occult and rock and roll. Thomas beat his son with an electrical cord when he discovered John reading a book on Aleister Crowley. John delved more into music and occult as he became a teenager.

At the age of 17 John and a few of his neighborhood friends started a band named Mucous Membrane, a punk band in the style of the Sex Pistols. The band floundered as a punk band during the time that punk was out. John began to enter the occult underground society of London around this time. He acquired his first taste of magical power shortly after and used it to his advantage. He began using a charm spell that would captivate and dazzle audiences during his shows, making the mediocre band seem better than they actually were. Mucous Membrane soon developed a cult following and toured across the UK and America. He delved further into magic after establishing connections with many prominent American mages, stage magicians, and occultists. John's desire for more and more magical power grew as he was exposed to more and more of it.

In 1996 everything changed. During a show in a small nightclub in Connecticut, John tried to conjur a simple fire spell for the crowd. The spell, and the sacrifice needed, soon got out of control and caused a raging inferno to engulf the club. Twenty-seven people died in the fire and Constantine escaped, but suffered a mental breakdown that caused him to become committed as an American insane asylum. After four years in the institution he was released just in time for the new millennium. John made a living as a small time hustler and stage magician. He traveled America for six years billed simply as Constantine. During this time he read every single book on magic he could fine. He learned about the effects of magic and their costs.

He developed a reputation in both criminal and occult circles as a powerful mage and an untrustworthy operator. In 2007, Constantine returned back home to London to help a friend with a tricky situation. Jamie O'Malley, a dying man, had sold his soul to the Devil some years ago. Constantine used his best conman methods and tricks to keep the Devil at bay long enough for the contract with Jamie to become null and void, allowing Jamie's soul to go to Heaven. The trick put Constantine on Hell's hit list and drew the attention of Heaven. Word of the feat began to spread and before long, Constantine found himself being asked favors from many powerful people. Now John Constantine wonders the world learning and investigating the occult and the strange, not knowing where his next pint or pack of cigarettes will come from. He occasionally helps those in need if he feels like it, or there happens to be nothing good on telly.

Why this character?

I guess I would say that my thesis with Constantine isn't too much of a stretch from what other writers have done with him. The main theme I want to weave through my narrative is that magic is dangerous and unnatural. It's cheating and the toll magic takes is often not worth what it does for you. I want to juxtapose that with the idea that the choices we make are just as damning as magic can be. You don't need a spell to ruin someone's life to destroy a friendship, all that takes is one conscious decision. As far as the stories go I figure I'll have him operating all over the world doing various tasks and jobs for people. A lot of writers like to lean heavily into the Judeo-Christian mythology with Constantine, but I want to stray from that and try to primarily focus on the occult.

What can you bring to the RPG?

A mostly competent writer. No less, no more.

Provide a short sample post as your desired character, in three paragraphs or more and featuring at least one line of dialogue:

For my next trick I'll need a volunteer from the audience.

How about you? Yes, you. Step right up and don't be shy. Your name? Lovely. Now, I have in my hands a simple deck of cards. Watch my hands as I fan through them and you can tell this is an ordinary deck, yes? Here, take it and examine it. Looks good? Good. Now pick a card, pick any card. Hold it up for the audience to see while I turn away. A bit higher, there you go. Good. Memorize it and place it back into the deck. Excellent. While I shuffle the deck I want you to picture something in your mind's eye. Think about the best day of your life. It could be a birthday, that day you hit the winning shot and won the big game, your wedding day, the day your children were born, or just a day you got an extra order of fries. Doesn't make a sod bit of difference what day it was, just recapture that feeling. That feeling of triumph and utter achievement. Have you got that? Good.

Now do us a favor and focus on something else. Focus on the best booze you've ever drank, or the best coke you've ever snorted, or even the best sex you've ever had. Take that highest of highs, couple it with the best day of your life and multiply those feelings a thousandfold. The end result, that orgasmic accomplishment that makes you feel like the biggest swinging dick in the world, that's the feeling that magic does to you. No, I don't mean that 'watch me pull a rabbit out of me hat' bollocks they pass off as magic on telly. I mean elemental magic. I mean the type of magic that can make beautiful people fall madly in love with you and make your enemies blood boil. Magic gives you the power to make all your hopes and wishes happen in the blink of an eye. You can go anywhere, you can be anything. People begin to fear you. It makes you feel unstoppable, makes you think you're a god. Now, I mentioned blow and booze earlier for a reason. Magic is just as intoxicating as that speedball or that fantastic piece of pussy. Like those two examples magic comes with a price, a terrible price. It can hollow your insides out until you're nothing but a dried up husk that threatens to blow away under a stiff breeze. I've seen two-bit mages literally try to sell their souls for just a little bit more power. Once upon a time I was one of them.

Me old man was a machinist. He welded and worked a lathe but he wouldn't **** with electrical problems on anything, regardless if it was a blown transformer or a circuit breaker. He always said that he knew enough about electricity to know he didn't want to **** with it. He was a ****ing wanker, but I think his thoughts sum it up pretty nicely. Every spell, every charm or hex or incantation, requires a sacrifice of some sort. There's always a price to pay somewhere down the line. I was too far down that road before I realized that truth. Now I just keep the meter running and keep moving. Best case scenario is I'll be in Hell where I belong before that bill comes due. And here we have the three of spades. Was that your card? How did I do that? Have you been listening to a ****ing word I said, mate? I'm magic.

Brighton Beach
Brooklyn

Dimitri Tsonovich sipped mineral water and watched the front door anxiously. It was late, nearly four in the morning, and his men were due back at any moment. The water was disgusting but he needed something to do with his hands to keep him busy. What he really needed was vodka, but he needed to be sober for what was coming next. A loud thump echoed from inside the house, followed by a muffle screamed. Dimitri shuddered and made the sign of the cross. He had never been religious growing up, religion hadn't been encouraged in the Soviet Union, and he remained absent of faith when he came to America. In his business one tended to be jaded about God and right and wrong.

The front door opened suddenly and his three men came through, holding a struggling man between them. Their quarry cursed and yelled through the black clothed hood on his head while the three heavies set him on the floor on his knees. Dimitri looked at his men and nodded softly. The hood was ripped from the man's face. The scowling face of John Constantine blinked two or three times before looking up and seeing Dimitri.

"Dimitri Tsonovich," Constantine said in his thick Northern English accent. "Long time no see, mate."

"You seem to be doing well for yourself," Constantine added as he looked around the expansive living room.

"What is it the papers call you now, 'the Godfather of Russian Organized Crime' or some bollocks? You've come a long way from Mikhail's bodyguard who he called simple and good for---"

Dimitri slapped Constantine hard across the side of the face. The Englishman spat blood on the hardwood floor, something that earned him another backhanded slap from the Russian. Constantine smiled a bloody smile up at his assailant.

"You stole two hundred thousand dollars from me," Dimitri said matter-of-factly. "Two hundred thousand dollars from anyone else and you are dead with your dick cut off and stuffed in your mouth. I forgive the money. After all, is only two hundred thousand. I make that in a few days. I forgive because I know all about what you can do, John Constantine. You have your uses, I see that. One day you may be able to help me. So, I--"

Another thump and moan from inside the house stopped Dimitri from continuing. Constantine arched an eyebrow and smiled wider at the man. Cursing in his native tongue, Dimitri snapped his fingers and his men shoved Constantine back on his feet and herded him through the large house towards a back room. They pushed him through the door after their boss went through. Constantine's wide smile disappeared from his face when he entered the room.

Tied to the bed was a teenage girl. Her long back hair covered her sweaty face as she shook and writhed on the bed. She wore a pair of plaid pajamas that were stained with vomit on the chest. Although she looked like a teenage girl, the guttural sounds she made in her throat were deep and hoarse. The girl's struggling stopped almost as soon as Constantine entered.

"There's someone here," she said in that deep voice. Her head snapped up and a pair of fiery red eyes locked with Constantine. "John Constantine! The man the Pit spat back out."

"My reputation proceeds itself," he said with a wink.

"Your ****ing father takes it up the ass in Hell!"

"I hope so. He's got it coming."

"Three days she is like this," Dimitri said as the girl went back to thrashing. "You will fix my daughter. This is your job, Constantine. You will fix her or I will do what I said earlier, shoot you in the head and shove your own severed dick in your mouth."

Constantine looked at the thrashing possessed girl, then to her crime lord father. He weighed his options and scratched his neck before checking his coat pocket.

"I need five things. I need holy water, a clove of garlic, white chalk, blood from a virgin -- which might be damn near impossible this time at night in New York -- and a pack of Silk Cut from around the corner shop. It's been so long since I've done an exorcism."

"People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Below The Bible Belt
Southern Hospitality - Delivered Monthly
Byrd Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:51 PM   #27
Hound55
Byfar The Most Evil Thing

Man... I was looking forward to J'onn...

16,18, not much difference mentally or physically. It's a number over there. Here however it's the difference between mid life crisis with hot chicks with daddy issues and pound me in the ass prison. - Anubis

More Anubis' greatest hits:
"Families are Gods way of teaching us to get along with people we don't particularly like."
Hound55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:59 PM   #28
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

You play him, mother****er!

-- Otto von Bismarck

Below The Bible Belt
Old 07-26-2014, 12:41 AM   #29
Hound55
Byfar The Most Evil Thing

Character Name:
Currently known as Charles Szasz, soon to be Vic Sage (with alternate identity The Question – also known as “No-face”)

Alignment: Walking the line with heroic tendencies.

Character Speech: Navy blue, italics. Font to be selected later.

Origin and Backstory:
1986, a young child, two years of age was found outside of the inner city apartment of the Ditko family with a note pinned to his shirt that announces the child as Charles Szasz. Steve and Denise Ditko, unable to have children of their own, take the child in and do the right thing. They give him a mug of hot chocolate and a blanket and call child protective services.

Child protective services retrieve the boy, where he is then temporarily taken to one of many orphanages within Hub City. Times have been getting increasingly tough in Hub City and this tale is, tragically, not an uncommon one.

Paperwork is filed and filed and misfiled, the wheels of beauracracy spin. Saint Catherine’s Home became Saint Catherine’s Home became Saint Caterina’s, became Saint Callinica and Basilissa. Szasz became Zsasz, and other permutations. The Ditkos attempt to find the boy, but given the runaround by the system and misfiling of paperwork the young boy appears lost in the system.

All the while the young Charles Szasz exists in a hellhole. Molestation and abuse have become rife in these homes which take on both genuine orphans and “wayward” children alike. The paperwork crosses the desk of a withered attorney, the motivation for his role long since beaten out of him Charles Szasz is merely a name on a piece of paper. No attempt is put in to tracking his parentage or any who may have submitted requests to adopt him. Charles Szasz is rubber stamped as a ward of the state.

The young boy learned resilience. If nothing else Saint Catherine’s taught that. Only the tough survive, and Charlie learned that brutality was one of the few things predators respected. But it wasn’t just anger that burned within him. Charlie had an insatiable curiosity and drive to learn, this eagerness drove him to excel in academic pursuits and likely stemmed from the unanswerable question of his parentage. The combination of the two led to numerous attempt to escape; the logic being that life on the streets, completely unprotected against bad people was better than being locked in a building full of them. In 1997 he plotted a major attempt to escape – however his plan was not perfect – a single nun crossed his path, desperate for freedom the boy knocked the sister down with a single punch before jumping the gate.

Charles Szasz survived 4 days on the street before the 14 year old boy was apprehended by police after being caught stealing fruit from a grocers’.

The paperwork for the assault crosses the desk of a withered attorney, the motivation for his role in law long since beaten out of him, Charles Szasz is merely a name on a piece of paper. No attempt is put in to tracking his parentage or any who may have submitted requests to adopt him. Charles Szasz is rubber stamped by a judge as “ward of the state”.

Neither the judge nor the attorney would remember the name a month from then.

Now with this mark against his name, Charles Szasz has little hope of finding an adopted home. Things get a little better for him at Saint Catherine’s as he ages, combined with the talks of his escape leading to predators to generally seek weaker prey. He concentrates on academia as his way to get out, and receives a letter from HCU’s Law department after entering an extracurricular essay writing competition with a lengthy piece on social justice. He also files to receive his own records, in an effort to trace his own family. This leads to his discovery of the lazy handling of his own case, obvious even to the teenage Szasz, and further fuelling his interest in law.

The next few years went by fast. Charles Szasz completed his high schooling and eventually gained an academic scholarship to study law at Hub City University (having turned down a financial aid scholarship based on principle). He went on to become one of the five fastest people to pass the Bar in HCU history and split his time completing post-grad studies (having grown to be fine friends with Professor Aristotle Rodor, and sharing a firm belief in the importance of continually growing one’s own knowledge base) and fishing for cases at the Public Defenders Office.

We join him now having just been poached from the Public Defenders pool by a hotshot lawyer for prestigious Soule, Guggenheim, Liu and Associates.

Character Notes:
Setting - Hub City
Hub City is a swirling vortex of corruption that could be condemned any day now. It had an even heavier reliance on the automotive industry than Detroit and when that went belly-up Hub City’s hopes died. Only three types of people remain in Hub City. People who are too poor to be able to afford to leave, people who are too stubborn to leave and the parasites who feed on its rotting carcass.

Vic Sage is two of these things.

Hub City makes Gotham look like a high-end health retreat. Every day crime and corruption grows and more of its infrastructure collapses.

Supporting Characters:
Aristotle Rodor
A true renaissance man, after one tour of duty Rodor left the US Military (where he was a trained field medic) to work in the private sector on his own innovations. It was there that he created pseudoderm. Designed to be an alternative to bandages and stitches, pseudoderm was a form-fitting material that could seal open wounds. After some legal difficulty regarding the rights of the creation with one Arby Twain, Rodor stepped away from his own company and withdrew into finding personal betterment elsewhere. Rodor chose education, he worked towards several doctorates and decided the best way to positively impact the world was to instil ethics and education to the following generation. His credentials were more than enough to land him a position at Hub City University, where he would eventually be destined to teach philosophy and ethics to a young prodigy Charles Szasz as he sought his law degree.

Myra Fermin
Mayor elect. The woman with the least enviable position in Hub City. Holding the reins of the runaway carriage of a city that’s clearly headed for doom. Previous leaders have scavenged the city, embezzling and looting public coffers and making her job difficult to nigh impossible. Vic Sage took quickly cleared her of allegations, the result of a smear campaign leading up the the election, however the mayor sees him as part of the cause of the downfall of the city. Their relationship is rocky at best.

Izzy O’Toole
Detective in the Hub City police force. Rocky alliance with Sage’s Question/No-Face identity, loathes Vic Sage the lawyer.

Powers and Abilities:
No change from the original version, except his knowledge in the field of journalism is replaced by law. After origin arc:
Vic dons a pseudoderm mask, held on by an adhesive spray (both creations of Aristotle Rodor) that also alters the colours of his hair and clothes when seeking justice as his alter ego.

Has great powers of deductive, abductive and inductive reasoning, which aid in creating alternate theories in building cases in criminal defence and also investigating as his enigmatic alter ego. Moves “remarkably well, for a well-dressed creep” as said by criminals who have met with the nocturnal No-face.

How is this character different and why is this character your selection:
Putting him in the field of law seemed like a natural move to me, with his natural inclination towards “posing the right question”.

I like the aspect that he provides the criminal defence that he politically believes everyone is entitled to by day, whilst operating for the opposite side of the justice system by night. The two sides both often representing the best and worst of a Hub City that is circling the drain, as well as the battle for his own soul.

I think there’s a lot there.

A few of you might recognize the bulk of this app, and whilst I'm reusing it I truly think it would fit better hear in a "Year One" environment. I was already worried about an overabundance of flashbacks/flashforwards I was going to be using.

This setting serves my character better.

Sample post:

I’ve got to be honest, I love this more than a little.

“Ladies and gentlemen, we are here today to resolve a matter of grave injustice.”

Opening statements. Always a lot more leeway, even beyond the rules of the court which allow for a little more rhetoric and dramatic style in these moments, the prosecution will generally sit back because except in extreme cases they don’t like to be seen as bullying the defense.

“We will hear today how one man’s rights were infringed upon.”

Just me, a stage to speak and twelve jurors aching to hear our side of the story.

“You’ve already heard the prosecution’s side of the story, and whilst it’s true that my client may engage in questionable acts. He may have a job which you and I don’t approve of...”

They’ve already sat there listening to the prosecution bash and batter my guy for 4 straight days, throwing expert witnesses and evidence and crap at him whilst hearing nothing from us. I’ll be honest, it made my client more than a little nervous. Hell, twice he threatened me with physical harm (from a technical stand point) until I explained how it will strengthen our case.

“...but the fact that my client is, as the prosecution terms it “a pimp” does not mean that he is not entitled to the same inalienable rights that you and I have. It does not justify a different level of treatment or provide an exemption from due process.”

The truth is I chose to delay the defence’s opening statement until the defence part of the trial for just this reason. The prosecution had been throwing punches at my client for 4 days now, and with the weekend thrown in the jury had gone 6 days hearing nothing from the defence aside from the occasional objection. Now they were hankering for it, and with my case resting on the notion of bullying and improper arrest from the HCPD the prosecution now had to be wary of their decisions to object, to avoid sending a message that they were trying to bully my client even in trial. He’d held up fairly well in court, although he was clearly coming apart behind closed doors.

“In the next few days you will discover how my client was arrested WITHOUT being read his Miranda rights and was held in an unconstitutional fashion. These rights are ours as Americans, and it can be no less just to convict on these grounds than it would be to find anyone hear guilty of speeding without providing evidence of a reading. These rights exist to protect us all as citizens. Not merely those who hold an occupation that we approve of.”

I look across the 12 sets of eyes in the box, none flinching, all eagerly absorbed in everything I have to say and again I have to admit I love this. Pride. One of those things that can be seen as both sin and virtue, depending who you ask. My friend, Tot would probably say both. He’d probably quote his namesake and note that Aristotle referred to pride as “crown of the virtues”, before dropping the obvious reference to its place in the seven deadly sins. Lives in both worlds. Can’t say I don’t know how that feels...

“You’ll get an understanding of how the police didn’t feel it needed to inform my client of his Miranda rights. Following which, my client was held an interminable period of time in a cynical fashion whilst the police attempted to extract information to create a charge.”

Prosecution got my witness list as I’m expected to hand over in discovery. There’s a lot riding on them not identifying the pivotal witnesses and leaning on them. And unlike our firm they have the full power of the Hub City Police Department to try and do just that. That’s the problem with this city, sure, I often find myself defending criminals – as is their constitutional right – but in this city, there’s as many crooks in a uniform as there are out. In this system it’s a stacked deck, designed to draw convictions and not release the wrongly accused it’s why good lawyers like myself earn so much.

“No statement drawn from my client in such a fashion can be admissible in court. Meaning the evidence against Mr Weeks is flimsy at best, and possibly artificial at wo--”

“Objection!”

“Opening statements, Mr Golding, I’m going to allow it. Go on Mr Sage.”

I struggle to keep the smile from my face. The jury saw exactly what I wanted. The prosecution attempting to silence the defence and getting slapped down by the judge.

“--possibly artificial at worst.”

Herein lies the game. Knock the evidence out of the box. Whilst I believe it to be true that the game is stacked towards the prosecution, doesn’t mean a smart player can’t win. I still have one thing going for my side above all else. The prosecution must prove its case with admissible evidence beyond a reasonable doubt. Those beautiful three words. “A reasonable doubt.”

As always, it’s my job to preserve the question...

16,18, not much difference mentally or physically. It's a number over there. Here however it's the difference between mid life crisis with hot chicks with daddy issues and pound me in the ass prison. - Anubis

More Anubis' greatest hits:
"Families are Gods way of teaching us to get along with people we don't particularly like."

Last edited by Hound55; 07-26-2014 at 12:44 AM.
Hound55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:41 AM   #30
MST3K 4ever
BRING IT BACK!

Character Name:The Atom

Alignment : Hero

Character Speech Color and Font: Century Gothic Blue

Powers and Abilities: The ability to shrink down to microscopic size, and the ability to shift her weight so even at (for example) six inches tall she can have weight and strength as though she were her normal size. Can also shift her weight so that she can float on air currents and travel along cell-phone signals

Character Origin/Backstory:Rhiannon Palmer was born and raised in Metropolis. Her father Thomas was the QB for the Metropolis Stallions, a four time Super Bowl Champion and four time league MVP while her mother Alice was an author. In Metropolis the family was royalty and life was a sweet as it could get for Rhiannon. However Rhiannon hated the limelight and didn't like that people wanted to get to know her because of who her family was and not who she was. Although she shunned the limelight and longed for privacy Rhiannon loved her parents and had a good home life.

When she graduated high-school Rhiannon went to Gotham State University so she could make her name on her terms. Rhiannon graduated with her PHD in molecular biology and was hired by the CDC and was sent to work their facility in Central City. Rhiannon was one of the brightest and best scientists in the CDC, and she loved what she did until one day changed everything.

A meteorite pulsating with unknown and unparalleled energy crashed outside of Central City and the CDC was called to investigate. Rhiannon was the lead investigator and she ordered the meteorite to be taken to their facility. Once it arrived the meteorite was placed in a secured room under the highest security protocols for testing. Rhiannon carried the meteorite into the testing chamber. As they were getting ready to run their tests there was a power surge that managed to knock the security measures off line which meant the protective shielding was starting to collapse as well. Unfortunately the door closed and locked trapping Rhiannon in the room with the meteorite and when the protective shielding collapsed it exposed her to the full energy for over five minutes. Even in her isolation suit there was no promises that Rhiannon wasn't going to be affected somehow. The crew managed to finally retrieve the unconscious Rhiannon and get her to the isolation ward.

After two weeks in isolation and a seemingly endless array of tests being run it was determined that Rhiannon was unaffected, but she knew something was wrong with her. While she was on medical leave Rhiannon was at her apartment cleaning up when she noticed an earring had fallen into a vent. Rhiannon concentrated on trying to reach the earring, and then suddenly she noticed the earring was getting closer and bigger. The next thing Rhiannon knew the earring was the size of a mountain. Rhiannon at first was terrified to find that she had shrunk and was wondering if it was permanent. Rhiannon concentrated and returned to normal size. She went down to the CDC and ran some more in-depth tests in herself. Rhiannon discovered that the energy from the meteorite had mutated her pituitary gland. It was a gradual process and on such a small scale that the original tests missed it.

Rhiannon kept this discovery to herself but knew she had been given these powers for a reason and decided it was time to use them in the fight for justice. She stayed many late nights at the CDC "borrowing" certain materials to make her costume. Rhiannon decided to leave the CDC because she didn't want to stay too much longer in case questions would be raised.

Rhiannon decided to move to Gotham where she is currently a Professor at Gotham State. She has a name picked out for her crime fighting alter-ego; "The Atom."

A couple of notes about Rhiannon. 1) Her parents live in Metropolis and her father is dying from cancer. 2) She was pregnant while in college, but lost the baby when she was in a car accident 2 months away from delivery.

Why this character?
I've been playing this character for 7 years. It's the one I feel most comfortable with.

I know the crew here and I've been playing longer more than some of you have been alive.

Provide a short sample post as your desired character, in three paragraphs or more and featuring at least one line of dialogue:
The Atom begins floating away on the night air. She smiles as she looks out over the Gotham Skyline.

Nice to finally get out and doing something else besides go from one faculty function to another and after looking at the computer screen all day I could use a night on the town. Although a date would be a better use of a night on the town, but after my last two dates maybe sometime alone is a good thing. At least by myself I'm not worried about my date trying to see how many drinks it takes to get me out of my clothes.

She spots a mugging in progress.

Okay so it's not exactly a big name Super Villain but hey I got to do what I have to do. Time to get to it

The Atom floats down and lands on top of the gun barrell.

The mugger is stunned looking at The Atom.

She says, "What's the problem? Can't find a date?"

The mugger begins to swipe at her with his free hand and she shifts her weight. The mugger stumbles and falls forward. As he is falling The Atom clocks him the jaw and he is now unconscious.

She floats up to the victim and says, "Get his gun. I'll call the cops."

The Atom gets to a pay phone and calls 911. The police arrive as she leaves the scene.

Okay who's next?

John 3:16

Last edited by MST3K 4ever; 07-26-2014 at 06:34 PM.
MST3K 4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:44 AM   #31
MST3K 4ever
BRING IT BACK!

I will probably put in an app for The Penguin sometime tomorrow.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:28 AM   #32
Andy C.
Repent, Harlequin!

24 hours have come and gone with no competing Superman apps, so he's been added to the roster.

Really digging the apps so far, guys. Keep 'em coming! I'll have a second one up soon, once I figure out just who I want my second character to be.

Hint: It's almost definitely gonna be Wonder Woman.

Andy C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:58 AM   #33
Bounce
Side-Kick

"In brightest day, in darkest night..."

Character Name:
Green Lantern (Kai-ro)

Alignment (Hero, Villain, Walking the Line):
Hero (Lawful Good)

Character Speech Color and Font:
Green, Verdana (default typeface)

Powers and Abilities:
Kai-ro is the first human Green Lantern, in addition to being the youngest ever inducted into the Corps (youngest both in absolute age and relative to his species' normal biological development). He radiates serenity and a calm willpower beyond his years, and yet can still enjoy life with the wide-eyed wonder appropriate to his age.

- Green Lantern Ring, which allows Kai-ro to create green constructs from the sheer force of will and imagination. The ring also provides a protective aura around his body, enabling him to fly in atmosphere or the vacuum of space, and allows for faster-than-light travel in space.

- Meditation Training as a Buddhist monk allows Kai-ro to center himself and maintain his emotions in check even in the most dire of circumstances.

Character Origin/Backstory:
Kai-ro is a descendent of the ancient and extinct civilization of Nanda Parbat, born on Earth as the off-spring of refugees who escaped the destruction of their homeworld and were successful in integrating into human society centuries ago. Born into an impoverished family living in Tibet under Chinese control, Kai-ro became one of many boys orphaned into the various Buddhist temples throughout the mainland. As a result, Kai-ro is fluent in both the Tibetan language and Mandarin Chinese, being formally educated in the latter while more often speaking the former in normal conversation while 'growing up monk' in the Buddhist temple of the mountainous regions of his home. Functioning like a boarding school and orphanage, the monastery saw to all of Kai-ro's basic needs while providing for his education in both the traditional schools of thought in addition to meditative disciplines and tenants of non-violence.

A year ago, the unthinkable occurred. An alien ship crashed to Earth, carrying with it the dying body of the Green Lantern Abin Sur, who removed his power ring and let it go, to begin the selection - the search for one whose will was strong, one who would stand up in brightest day and darkest night. And that ring found a young monk named Kai-ro and the ring spoke to him and said, Kai-ro of Earth, you have the ability to overcome great fear.

Transported by the ring to the Corps Headquarters on the planet Oa, Kai-ro found himself indoctrinated into a new order and discipline; that of the Green Lantern Corps. Graduating from Killowog's training, the rookie Green Lantern found himself assigned to the diminutive and grizzled soldier, Ch'p as a probationary member of the Corps who will finish his training as a patrolman under Ch'p's watchful eye.

Why this character?
Admittedly, Kai-ro isn't much of a character to begin with. He appeared in maybe 3-4 episodes of the cartoons, primarily the two-part episode of Batman Beyond where he first appears and it isn't until the Justice League Unlimited comic books that he gets any kind of backstory. This character stays true to much of that, except that this Kai-ro has Abin Sur's ring and is taking the place of Hal Jordan in terms of canon DC material (whereas the DCAU Kai-ro has John Stewart's ring and is the Green Lantern of the Beyond continuity).

A good mix of comedy and adventure, with a young protagonist as that's always my strong suit as a writer and (knowing that) I always try to play to my strengths. I hope to focus on more of a police procedural drama than the typical Green Lantern member of the Justice League stories - developing the Lantern Corps as actual interstellar law enforcement as opposed to just a dude with a ring chillin' on Earth when he's supposed to be responsible for a multitude of planets. Kai-ro's story will bring him to Earth, certainly, but my conceptual framework for him is to portray Kai-ro and the GLC as COPS in space.

In the greater cosmos, the people are protected by two sides in the interstellar justice system; the Green Lanterns who investigate crimes and the local authorities who prosecute the offenders. The call came in at seventeen forty-seven, Oa Standard Time. A domestic disturbance on an asteroid base out on the edge of space in Sector 2814. That makes it my problem. My name is Kai-ro. I carry a ring.

| ASTEROID BLUE HEAVEN
|
Sector 2814.9

The small spacecraft exited out of the singularity, a blue glow radiating from the ion drives as power was diverted to the sublight engines, the kinetic force combining with the resulting inertial to propel the pristine vessel toward the massive rock which hung like a rogue planet against the backdrop of space. Inside the space craft, a feminine voice echoed and said, "We have entered Sector 2814, quadrant Gamma-9. Adjusting vector for approach to space station Blue Heaven."

"Domestic disturbance," the squirrel-like creature growled, blowing smoke from a distinctly non-regulation cigar as he barked, "What are we now, marriage counselors?"

Bringing a hand up to his face, the young Tibetan boy waved the smoke away from his face despite knowing all-too-well the futility of his actions. In such a confined environment, even with Aya's carbon scrubbers working at maximum efficiency to recycle the air quality, the noxious odors continued to burn at his nostrils everywhere in the ship. "Blue Heaven is a private enterprise. Without local government law enforcement, it is necessary for the Corps to provide for community police protection in order to prevent this quadrant becoming a..."

"Yeah, yeah, I'm not the Poozer here, kid," Ch'p growled, interrupting the young Green Lantern before blowing smoke in his face. "This is, what, the third time we've been out?"

"Fourth," Kai-ro corrected, coughing as the smoke choked the back of his throat.

"Well, maybe if you'd busted some heads the first, second, or third time, we wouldn't be out here again," the H'lven chipmunk snapped.

"There was no criminal complaint alleged and therefore it would be unconscionable to impose..."

"I'll show you 'unconscionable' if you don't shut up and arrest something," the grizzled Lantern barked, waving with his cigar toward the back of the cockpit. "Now hit the beat, kid."

There were creatures in this world - in this universe - who tested the patience of even the most virtuous monk. With a sigh, the young Green Lantern hung his head as he resigned himself to the fact that Clarissi Salaak had, for whatever karmic slight Kai-ro may have caused in a prior life, partnered him with just such a creature. "Kao yao," the youth muttered in Chinese as he started toward the airlock.

"Yeah, moo goo gai pan to you too, kid."

The comment from the H'lven reached Kai-ro's ears just as he started through the exit of the cockpit, drawing his shoulders up in the only tangible display of irritation. Peace. Compassion. Peace... the boy repeated to himself, drawing in a deep breath which he let out slowly as he did the right thing and just walked away. As he stepped into the airlock, the boy brought his right hand up, adjusting the distinctive ring on his middle finger. A green aura enveloped his small form, as the exterior hatch was pulled away like a curtain to reveal the naked cosmos outside. Gently, the boy's foot drifted from off the deck as he floated freely into the vacuum awaiting him.

Space could be frightening the first time. There was no concept of up or down. No compass points with which to orient the mind. Some never overcame the vertigo. But Kai-ro? Kai-ro felt like this was true freedom. Putting his arms by his side, the child ducked and then pushed himself out through the void like a dolphin sliding through the sea. Gliding across the emptiness, the youth arced upward to arrive at an airlock that would give entry to the asteroid base. A pulse from his ring and the door parted for him, and Kai-ro stepped inside.

A century before, the asteroid had been cored out by a mining corporation. Left an empty shell, the remains of the mining station had been hastily converted into a port of call for people out on the fringe of this part of space. Pirates. Smugglers. Drug runners. The Green Lanterns knew that Blue Heaven, as it had come to be called, was nothing more than a waypoint from criminal elements drifting through the sector. But suspicion didn't amount to evidence, and so the Green Lanterns could do little more than keep an eye on the station. Still, it remained a lawless wonderland. A ghetto in space. Trash crunched under foot, along with something squishy that Kai-ro immediately tried not to think about as he made his way inside of the shoddy asteroid port.

B37T4-A, or Big Bertha, had originally been programmed as a lab assistant for a chemical company. Later advances in robotics and artificial intelligence design had led to Bertha being thrown out with the trash, but instead of being resigning herself to being reduced to scrap, the rusted automaton had wound up opening a bar out on Blue Heaven. There, she'd met up with a waste disposal unit that everyone called 'Marty' and the two had mixed like oil and water. Their passions for one another were, perhaps, impressive given the limitations of their designs, but that passion led to destructive behavior - usually by Bertha - which was of increasing concern to the residents of Blue Heaven.

That alone was concerning. It took a great deal for someone who lived on Blue Heaven to want to call the Lanterns.

As the young Green Lantern walked through the doors of the bar, an ion bolt buried itself into the wall about three feet to the left and two heads higher than he stood. The smell of residual gas coolant gave credence to the notion that such hadn't been the first shot fired, which would explain why someone would have been willing, if not eager, to call the Lanterns. In space, with the risk of the hull being compromised, no one won a gun fight.

Bertha was behind the bar, plugged into a voltage converted that had obviously made her onboard components drunk from the power surge. In one of her reedy, articulate limbs was a relic of the Trandoshan Civil War, a gas-powered ion bolt caster that was little more than a high-tech slug thrower. "You whore," the robotic bar tender managed, loudly slurring her words as her servos were unable to precisely calibrate for motion. The rifle waved wildly toward a squat, dirty-looking robot. "I... I kill you and... and that automated hussy!"

"Perhaps we could begin by placing the weapon on the..."

"Bertha, my love! My binary blossom, it was nothing!" Marty's roughly synthesized voice interjected, as the squat box-like robot seemed to dance from side to side. "A thirty second upload in a parallel connection, I swear! She means nothing to me!"

Turning toward the squat machine, Kai-ro looked sternly over at the waste robot and offered, "I do not believe such protests will be effect..."

"Upload!?" Bertha echoed, drawing both Marty and Kai-ro's attention to the chemist-turned-barmaid at the distinctive sound of the caster bolt being drawn back. "UPLOAD!?"

"Upload? No, I didn't upload in her..." Marty uttered weakly.

This was, in the boy's mind, exactly what a train wreck in slow motion must look like. "Go se," the child swore under his breath, as a large green shield appeared between himself, Marty, and the bar as several ion bolts slammed into the willpower construct. This was not what he'd envisioned when he'd been chosen as Green Lantern.

"I had reconstructive surgery for you!" Bertha barked, pausing her barrage as she gestured toward what were obviously a new set of oscillating processor tubes across the front of her torso.

"Yes'm, those are nice," Kai-ro quipped vapidly, not entirely certain that made sense, and less so just what he was saying, but it made sense to say something as he gestured with both hands for her to put the caster down. "We can talk about this rationally and without the need for viol..."

"*****, you best recognize that's my man!"

There were very few times that Kai-ro would have offered the opinion that discussion was a useless endeavor. As the automated food processor came wheeling into the bar, however, the Buddhist monk had to resign himself to the fact that this was one of those times.

"Oh, hell no!"

As Bertha roared and snapped up the rifle, the spry, young Green Lantern was already in motion. Quick as a snake, a sweep of the boy's leg had sent the Trandoshan rifle skidding across the bar top, as a series of green handcuffs snapped onto her reedy limbs. "Weapons discharge in an enclosed space environment is a class five misdemeanor," the youth asserted in a matter-of-fact tone. "I believe some time apart on Oa will help in alleviating this conflic..."

"GET YUR HANDS OFF MY WIFE!"

As he turned, Kai-ro saw Marty lunging for him, as the food processor came wheeling after. "That's my man!"

Had he mentioned that he hadn't signed up for this?

Last edited by Bounce; 07-26-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:07 AM   #34
Supergirl
The Maid of Might

My app is waiting on MB's app. So it'll be up... you know... never...

...Are you gonna get it up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Bruce
I'll try.
Supergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:31 AM   #35
Carnage27
No one's puppet

Flash app redone to Barry. Sorry about some weird formatting. I have to post from my PS4 while at home and it's all kinds of wonky.

But yea, Barry is up. I couldn't think of how to make Wally work pre Barry or simultaneously, so I said eff it.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:49 AM   #36
Supergirl
The Maid of Might

But again, when you're writing your own version of Barry with no constrictions to continuity, it's not that hard to make him a good character My Barry is right up there with my Kara in terms of my favorite characters I've ever had a hand in.

Quote:
I'll try.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:53 AM   #37
trustyside-kick
The Marine Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce View Post

"In brightest day, in darkest night..."

Character Name:
Green Lantern (Kai-ro)
...I love you, Bounce.

trustyside-kick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:07 PM   #38
Carnage27
No one's puppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergirl View Post
But again, when you're writing your own version of Barry with no constrictions to continuity, it's not that hard to make him a good character My Barry is right up there with my Kara in terms of my favorite characters I've ever had a hand in.
Exactly. Doing my own spin means I can do basically whatever within reason. It'll work out. At least I hope it will.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:24 PM   #39
Andy C.
Repent, Harlequin!

Flash is now APPROVED.

Very interesting GL, Bounce. I dig it.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:38 PM   #40
Bounce
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustyside-kick View Post
...I love you, Bounce.
Cheers, mate.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:46 PM   #41
Batman
Dramatic Example
SHH! Global Moderator

DC Year One: Character Application

Character Name: Bruce Wayne, aka The Batman

Alignment (Hero, Villain, Walking the Line): Hero

Character Speech Color and Font (actually say what it is, like Blue Comic Sans): Bruce's font is Black Verdana bolded. Batman's is Arial Black.

Powers and Abilities: Though he lacks any superhuman capabilities, Batman's real strengths lie in his human physicality and superior intellect, having been trained under a variety of the world's best instructors in the fields of hand-to-hand combat, criminal psychology, manhunting, forensic analysis, and other fields benefiting his war on crime. He also possesses access to a vast inheritance, totaling in at several billion dollars, enabling him to fund an array of advanced gadgetry, state-of-the-art armor suits, and vehicles.

Character Origin/Backstory: One mistake changed everything. A lowly mugger didn't know what he would unleash when he shot that boy's parents in a botched robbery attempt, but for a young Bruce Wayne, it would be the defining moment of his entire life. Orphaned and alone, initially declared a ward of the state, the media-dubbed "Prince of Gotham" was eventually taken in by the first responder to the gruesome scene of his mother and father's murder, James Gordon. But living under the roof of a police officer who dealt with killers and thieves every night was hardly the ideal circumstance, as Bruce quickly began to learn that Gotham City - once believed to be a peaceful, economically sound metropolis - had spent years masking it's own true nature.

With the deaths of his parents, both highly influential citizens of Gotham in their own right as an industrialist and world-renowned psychiatrist, respectively, the city had lost all sense of discretion when it came to the illegal activities that had once remained in the shadows. Crime was running more rampant than ever, violence reigned, it's lower class were sectioned off into an island called The Narrows, and things were only getting worse. Gordon would often return home dismayed, trying his best to hide the horror of what he'd witnessed, but Bruce knew the bitter truth - the city of Gotham was rotting away.

At fifteen years old, he'd finally had enough of watching it happen infront of him. After several attempts to join the police academy, Bruce realized that Gordon would never let it happen out of fear towards subjecting him towards the city's worst - or even becoming just as corrupt as the department itself. So after finally running away from the Gordon household and garnering access to his trust fund, Bruce reached out and made contact with his family's former bodyguard, an ex-MI6 field agent named Alfred Pennyworth. Knowing that Pennyworth felt responsible for being unable to prevent the fate of the Waynes, Bruce easily persuaded him to make contact with former colleagues and start him on a new path.

For several years, as Wayne grew to maturity, the two travelled to vastly different parts of the world, tracking down various would-be instructors that would garner the young man a new set of skills. Bruce eventually became an excellent manhunter in his own right, striking out on his own and taking down various terrorist suspects from across the globe based off of Alfred's classified intellgence. It was this persistance that attracted the wrong kind of attention, however, and led to the biggest turning point in Wayne's very long journey. One night while staying in Malaysia, he awoke to a group of cloaked individuals who carried him off into the darkness. Bruce Wayne was now a captive of The Court of Owls.

Five months of agonizing physical and psychological torture followed, as The Court shipped Bruce and several other potential candidates to various stations at every corner of the world. Frightened whispers among the prisoners revealed that they were preparing another harem of deadly assassins to storm each capital city of Europe. Unwilling to be apart of such an insane plan, Bruce steeled himself for the weeks that would follow and endured the worst. Left broken and beaten, stabbed and shot, and even brought to the brink of insanity, it seemed as though nothing would ultimately bend him to their will. Eventually, the Court settled on one last method of torture. In the Carpathian mountains, they lowered a bound and chained Bruce into the deepest cavern imagineable and cut the rope, leaving him to die. For days, he starved, but he would not relent. His only company were the frightening swarm of bats that occassionally flew past his field of vision. Little did he realize that, despite the odds, this experience would bring about a rebirth. By the time that The Court retrived him, they discovered that Bruce Wayne had died in that cavern - and had emerged as something else.

Turning him loose with the belief that they'd succeeded in turning him into a ruthless killer, Bruce fought off and narrowly evaded his captors, eventually escaping their reach entirely. Reuniting with Alfred, he finally returned home to Gotham at the age of twenty-five, a decade after he'd left. Finding the city in complete chaos, with the Police Department bought off and split into an Eastern and Western precinct that warred for control under the influence of the mob - despite the best efforts of the newly minted Captain Gordon - Bruce utilized his inheritance to attempt to fight back.

With Wayne Enterprises under the iron grip of a corrupt CEO named Derek Powers, Wayne turned to the company's former R&D engineer, Lucius Fox, who was running a small think-tank in the middle of The Narrows. Challenging Fox and his associates to create applications that would make for a safer Gotham, Bruce secretly began to modify their designs to suite his purposes. Establishing a base at the top of the abandoned Gotham City Clocktower, Bruce and Alfred set up shop with a series of highly advanced computer systems, security protocols, and customized vehicles. The plan was simple enough - by day, Bruce Wayne would champion the less fortunate and use his money to turn the tide. But under the cover of night, he would fight in secret, striking back at the mob and the criminals that had laid his city to waste.

All that was missing was the method. But after a series of failed attempts left him unsuccessful, his experience in the Carpathians flooded back to him through a series of nightmares. Inspiration finally struck whenever he'd come back from a particularly bloody night, envisioning the corpse of his father, watching him while being swarmed by a group of bats. Bruce would utilize what had been used to break him and turn it into a strength, creating something that would terrorize his enemies. Creating a disguise to fit this newfound motif, he began his crusade in earnest. Soon, Gotham will know it has a guardian angel. But those who prey on the innocent will come to know him by another name... The Batman.

Why this character? I'll never get tired of playing him. For me, Batman is the single most versatile character in fiction, and I can imagine a hundred different ways of reinterpreting his origins, his allies, his enemies, and every facet of his world. Gotham City is as much my home as any real place, and I genuinely can't wait to get back into it.

What can you bring to the RPG? A vast knowledge of the history of the character, a passion for the games, and a strong emphasis on characterization. Also kryptonite, in the event that Andy gets too out of line with his GM powers.

"Are you absolutely sure this is how you want to be going about this?"

Alfred's words hardly even register as my eyes remain focused on the data infront of me. We only just managed to get the database up and running last week, and it's already performing beyond my wildest expectations. For a small moment, I could swear I've actually seen the whole of the city through the network grid, encompassing every alleyway and street corner like they're part of some sort of a grand chessboard. If this is the kind of hardware that thirty-seven million dollars can give me, I can hardly imagine how the car will turn out. But as my astonishment at the level of intricacy in the digital map of Gotham fades, so does my already thinning patience. Alfred doesn't know this, but I've been on edge all evening, waiting for this moment to finally arrive.

I've waited years... decades. Ever since I lost them, I've felt as if my life has been building towards a particular moment in time where I could finally make sense of things and find a purpose that would allow me to move forward again. Looking at this, all of this, has finally given me that. The Clocktower has become a sufficient enough base of operations, but it feels like it's only the beginning of something greater. If we're to create this monster I've dreamt up and give it life - hell, even just give it a real leg to stand on - then I have to assume that this is only the first step in a much larger path ahead. Creating the "new" Bruce Wayne was only part of it. Now comes the real work.

"Of course I'm sure. I've outlined my first few objectives for the evening. A sweep of Robinson Park, then I head into the Narrows. With any luck, I'll make it to the East End before dawn, and then..."

Alfred clears his throat, interrupting me as I rise up from the computer console.

"That... isn't entirely what I meant, sir."

He gestures towards the work station ahead of me, indicating what's staring back at the both of us. After weeks of trial and error, the uniform's finally been completed. It went through several design phases, including a short-lived spandex bodysuit design over kevlar tri-weave and even a bright blue and gray number, but I think I finally worked out enough of the kinks to test it properly. Alfred's skepticism has been thoroughly noted throughout the entire process, but I can understand it. He's a soldier. He's seen war of a different kind. But Gotham isn't just one battleground - it's an entire state of decay, torn apart by nightly war that threatens the life of each and every person in it. If you want to fight something like that, you have to get creative. You have to be... different.

And this is certainly very different.

"I know how it looks. But trust me, Alfred. If I wasn't absolutely sure about this, I'd explore other options. This is the only way that makes sense."

As I walk past him and approach it, gathering the first few tools, he follows.

"Unfortunately, that's exactly what I've been afraid of."

"Did you finish outfitting the belt? Put everything in it's..."

He tenses up before continuing. Clearly, this is going to be a discussion for another night. Maybe even several. But he's not going to change my mind. Not now. Not when we've come this far.

"Yes, of course. Though the gas pellets presented a degree of difficulty to properly load, you should be equipped with everything you'll require. Should you find that you'll require something else, we'll have to have Mr. Fox's team build such items to your specifications."

I hold up the cowl for the first time since the outer coating was set, staring into it. Lost in a momentary trance. The insanity of this hasn't quite been lost on me, but for a moment, it almost seems normal.

"Then I guess there's nothing else left."

Removing my shirt, I hand it back to him and begin assembling the suit, piece by piece. First go the leggings, which strap tightly onto my body and present an initial discomfort. Then the upper undersuit, which slips on like a glove. The boots are next, clasping into place under my heels. The armor pieces take a moment to get just right, but they eventually come into place over the undersuit, snapping ontop of my shoulders, forearms, chest, and legs. It's only then that I start to realize the severity of what I'm about to do, given that the armor's meant to protect me from everything between a semi-automatic round to a bowie knife. The gloves slip on easily enough, followed by the gauntlets, which loudly snap into place. Then the belt, which wraps around my waist and constricts it all together. Finally, the cloak, which took the longest for us to perfect, given it's initial weight. It feels heavier at first, but lighter as I start to move. I surpress a small smile, thinking this might just work.

He approaches me from behind, cowl in hand. I slowly take it from him and give it a final glance.

"You know, sir, that I've supported you throughout this entire ordeal. I only want to make sure you've thought this through, because once you've made the choice, I fear there may be..."

By the time I've slipped it over my head, something in Alfred's mood changes. His voice almost trembles with the next few words and his eyes grow slightly larger. No longer skeptical in his tone, he instead seems unsure of what to make of it at first. Then I start to realize why, approaching the mirror in the far corner of the room.

"I... I fear there may be no going back."

I don't quite know what my initial reaction is to seeing myself wearing it for the first time, but I know exactly what my feelings about it are a few moments later.

I've never felt more normal.

"No. There isn't."

Last edited by Batman; 07-27-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:42 PM   #42
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Had to bring an old favorite back.

-- Otto von Bismarck

Below The Bible Belt
Old 07-26-2014, 07:00 PM   #43
MST3K 4ever
BRING IT BACK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd Man View Post
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Had to bring an old favorite back.
It's so good to be home again!

Old 07-26-2014, 07:54 PM   #44
MST3K 4ever
BRING IT BACK!

DC Year One: Character Application:

Character Name: Oswald Cobblepot (A-K-A: The Penguin)

Alignment: Villain.

Character Speech Color and Font: Georgia Black

Powers and Abilities: No meta-human abilities, but has information on EVERY illegal activity in Gotham and several contacts within the City Government and GCPD. However he could be considered a world class athlete except for the limp in his left leg in which he uses a cane (which doubles as a sword). Note: Oswald is 6’4” with blonde hair, blue eyes and always wearing a Black & White Armani suit.

Character Origin/Backstory: Oswald Cobblepot grew up the child of a high ranking enforcer of the Scardina crime family. His mother died when he was very young but his father, inspite of his job, loved his son and tried to provide for him best he could. Eddie Cobblepot taught his son the value of not only charm, charisma and physical intimidation and how it can be used to open doors, but that information was the true power in the world. Knowing as much as one could about a situation or a person was the real power.

Eddie also taught Oswald that no-one is ever given anything for free that what one wants from life has to be earned. To that end he got an 18 year old Oswald a job as a door-man at the Black Orchid one of the swankiest clubs in Gotham owned by Don Scardina. The club was so high-classed Oswald had to wear a tuxedo at all times. Don Scardina commented once how Oswald looked like a Penguin in the tux. That was considered high-praise from him. One evening Don Scardina was conducting a business deal at the club while Eddie was there to pick up Oswald just as the Don was leaving one of the rival crime gangs tried to kill the Don. Oswald without thinking shoved the Don to the ground and took a bullet in the leg. Oswald’s act of heroism saved The Don, but his father was killed in the cross-fire. Don Scardina not only paid for the surgery that saved Oswald’s leg from being amputated, but he took Oswald in and treated him like he was one of his own children. He saw to it that Oswald went to the best Ivy League schools and during semester breaks taught him about how things worked in his line of work. Oswald took to the lessons like a fish to water, and Don Scardina knew he had found someone he could one day leave his empire to.

When the Don died he left everything to Oswald and named him as the new Don. Oswald took his Ivy league education and the lessons his father taught him about information and applied it to his “new line of work” expanding the empire heights that Don Scardina could only dream of. Oswald was able to use his gifts to give the appearance that the Scardina Empire was legit and he also used his new found power to make friends in very high places. However all of the legitimacy airs are a front. The truth is Oswald has connections throughout the criminal underworld and city politics, and he knows how to use the information to get the sides to play off of each other so he makes a VERY nice profit. His main base of operations the super elegant restaurant and lounge called “The Iceberg Lounge .”

He prefers to be called Oswald or Mr. Cobblepot, but those “in the know” refer to him by the nick-name Don Scardina called him for all those years “The Penguin"

Why this character?
I've played him in the past and I like playing villains.

Charm, Wit, Experience...okay I can't even do that with a straight face. I can bring cookies!

Oswald makes his way through a gathering of the players and front office personnel of the Super Bowl Champion “Gotham Knights”

The owner of the Knights Dan McAllister approaches Oswald and says, “Mr. Cobblepot I can’t thank you enough this party you’re throwing for us. It's better than I could’ve envisioned it this is so wonderful. I admit I was bit skeptical and taken aback when you said you wanted to throw us our victory celebration, but this has been just unreal. Thank you.”

The two men shake hands and Oswald says, “Daniel my good man it’s Oswald. This is not only a victory for your fine organization but this is a victory for our city. It’s been a lot of years since we had a Super Bowl champion in this city and we’re gonna celebrate it with style. Just wait until you see the victory parade. It’ll make this look like we’re serving pizza rolls and sprite.”

Dan says, “Well thank you again Oswald.”

Oswald bows slightly and continues making his way through the crowd. Talking to some of the guest along the way and taking pictures, but keeping an eye out for one of his employees to give him a nod.

The employee gives him a nod and Oswald begins to be much more subtle about his presence in the room blending in with the crowds until he is against a wall in the furthest reaches of the room. He sees no one is looking and presses a hidden button. The wall rotates and Oswald is now taking a hidden passageway to an office under the club.

Oswald presses a button on his speaker phone and says in Spanish, “< Marcus my friend how are things going in your part of the world>?”

Marcus responds, “Penguin the weapons arrived here on time and are already are being used to beat back the Government forces and the DEA. The tide has turned thank you my dear friend!”

Oswald responds, “<Excellent! I now have need of your services my friend.>”

Marcus says, “What can I do for the one who is about to save my empire?”

Oswald replies, “<There is a witness here in Gotham getting ready to testify against one of my business partners, and if I lose his business many of my other business partners could suffer>.”

Marcus says, “Send me the information.”

Oswald sends the information to Marcus on a specially encoded e-mail file and in a matter of minutes Marcus says, “I’ll put my best man on this. She’ll be gone by this time tomorrow"

Oswald replies, “<Excellent! Marcus I knew I could count on you. Thank you.>” Oswald hangs up the phone.

Oswald lights a Cuban cigar and takes a long drag. He then listens to various conversations within the room on hidden mics and video cameras.

Well I guess I better re-establish my alibi.

Oswald slips back into the room and carries on conversations that he was never a part of, but he is able to discuss details so clearly that people just accept that he was there the whole time.

Last edited by MST3K 4ever; 07-27-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:19 AM   #45
Andy C.
Repent, Harlequin!

Constantine, Question, and Atom are all APPROVED.

EDIT: So is Kai-Ro.

Last edited by Andy C.; 07-27-2014 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:23 PM   #46
Supergirl
The Maid of Might

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post

Character Name: Bruce Wayne, aka The Batman

Character Speech Color and Font (actually say what it is, like Blue Comic Sans): Bruce's font is Black Verdana bolded. Batman's is Arial Black.

Powers and Abilities: Though he lacks any superhuman capabilities, Batman's real strengths lie in his human physicality and superior intellect, having been trained under a variety of the world's best instructors in the fields of hand-to-hand combat, criminal psychology, manhunting, forensic analysis, and other fields benefiting his war on crime. He also possesses access to a vast inheritance, totaling in at several billion dollars, enabling him to fund an array of advanced gadgetry, state-of-the-art armor suits, and vehicles.

Character Origin/Backstory: One mistake changed everything. A lowly mugger didn't know what he would unleash when he shot that boy's parents in a botched robbery attempt, but for a young Bruce Wayne, it would be the defining moment of his entire life. Orphaned and alone, initially declared a ward of the state, the media-dubbed "Prince of Gotham" was eventually taken in by the first responder to the gruesome scene of his mother and father's murder, James Gordon. But living under the roof of a police officer who dealt with killers and thieves every night was hardly the ideal circumstance, as Bruce quickly began to learn that Gotham City - once believed to be a peaceful, economically sound metropolis - had spent years masking it's own true nature.

With the deaths of his parents, both highly influential citizens of Gotham in their own right as an industrialist and world-renowned psychiatrist, respectively, the city had lost all sense of discretion when it came to the illegal activities that had once remained in the shadows. Crime was running more rampant than ever, violence reigned, it's lower class were sectioned off into an island called The Narrows, and things were only getting worse. Gordon would often return home dismayed, trying his best to hide the horror of what he'd witnessed, but Bruce knew the bitter truth - the city of Gotham was rotting away.

At fifteen years old, he'd finally had enough of watching it happen infront of him. After several attempts to join the police academy, Bruce realized that Gordon would never let it happen out of fear towards subjecting him towards the city's worst - or even becoming just as corrupt as the department itself. So after finally running away from the Gordon household and garnering access to his trust fund, Bruce reached out and made contact with his family's former bodyguard, an ex-MI6 field agent named Alfred Pennyworth. Knowing that Pennyworth felt responsible for being unable to prevent the fate of the Waynes, Bruce easily persuaded him to make contact with former colleagues and start him on a new path.

For several years, as Wayne grew to maturity, the two travelled to vastly different parts of the world, tracking down various would-be instructors that would garner the young man a new set of skills. Bruce eventually became an excellent manhunter in his own right, striking out on his own and taking down various terrorist suspects from across the globe based off of Alfred's classified intellgence. It was this persistance that attracted the wrong kind of attention, however, and led to the biggest turning point in Wayne's very long journey. One night while staying in Malaysia, he awoke to a group of cloaked individuals who carried him off into the darkness. Bruce Wayne was now a captive of The Court of Owls.

Five months of agonizing physical and psychological torture followed, as The Court shipped Bruce and several other potential candidates to various stations at every corner of the world. Frightened whispers among the prisoners revealed that they were preparing another harem of deadly assassins to storm each capital city of Europe. Unwilling to be apart of such an insane plan, Bruce steeled himself for the weeks that would follow and endured the worst. Left broken and beaten, stabbed and shot, and even brought to the brink of insanity, it seemed as though nothing would ultimately bend him to their will. Eventually, the Court settled on one last method of torture. In the Carpathian mountains, they lowered a bound and chained Bruce into the deepest cavern imagineable and cut the rope, leaving him to die. For days, he starved, but he would not relent. His only company were the frightening swarm of bats that occassionally flew past his field of vision. Little did he realize that, despite the odds, this experience would bring about a rebirth. By the time that The Court retrived him, they discovered that Bruce Wayne had died in that cavern - and had emerged as something else.

Turning him loose with the belief that they'd succeeded in turning him into a ruthless killer, Bruce fought off and narrowly evaded his captors, eventually escaping their reach entirely. Reuniting with Alfred, he finally returned home to Gotham at the age of twenty-five, a decade after he'd left. Finding the city in complete chaos, with the Police Department bought off and split into an Eastern and Western precinct that warred for control under the influence of the mob - despite the best efforts of the newly minted Captain Gordon - Bruce utilized his inheritance to attempt to fight back.

With Wayne Enterprises under the iron grip of a corrupt CEO named Derek Powers, Wayne turned to the company's former R&D engineer, Lucius Fox, who was running a small think-tank in the middle of The Narrows. Challenging Fox and his associates to create applications that would make for a safer Gotham, Bruce secretly began to modify their designs to suite his purposes. Establishing a base at the top of the abandoned Gotham City Clocktower, Bruce and Alfred set up shop with a series of highly advanced computer systems, security protocols, and customized vehicles. The plan was simple enough - by day, Bruce Wayne would champion the less fortunate and use his money to turn the tide. But under the cover of night, he would fight in secret, striking back at the mob and the criminals that had laid his city to waste.

All that was missing was the method. But after a series of failed attempts left him unsuccessful, his experience in the Carpathians flooded back to him through a series of nightmares. Inspiration finally struck whenever he'd come back from a particularly bloody night, envisioning the corpse of his father, watching him while being swarmed by a group of bats. Bruce would utilize what had been used to break him and turn it into a strength, creating something that would terrorize his enemies. Creating a disguise to fit this newfound motif, he began his crusade in earnest. Soon, Gotham will know it has a guardian angel. But those who prey on the innocent will come to know him by another name... The Batman.

Why this character? I'll never get tired of playing him. For me, Batman is the single most versatile character in fiction, and I can imagine a hundred different ways of reinterpreting his origins, his allies, his enemies, and every facet of his world. Gotham City is as much my home as any real place, and I genuinely can't wait to get back into it.

What can you bring to the RPG? A vast knowledge of the history of the character, a passion for the games, and a strong emphasis on characterization. Also kryptonite, in the event that Andy gets too out of line with his GM powers.

Will update periodically. Unfortunately, work takes precedent right now.

(Won't be a problem after the 3rd of the coming month.)

Character Name: Barbara Gordon, aka Batgirl

Character Speech Color and Font (actually say what it is, like Blue Comic Sans): Babs is Purple Verdana, while Batgirl is Bolded Purple Verdana.

Powers and Abilities: Babs is incredibly smart, set to graduate high school two years early and all ready working on her college classes. She is a tech genius, and spends her evenings working at the Genius Bar at the local Apple store. The daughter of a cop, she also maintains an active and healthy lifestyle and has participated in many sports over the years, specifically track and gymnastics.

Character Origin/Backstory: Fifteen years ago, shortly after Barbara was born, Jim Gordon took in an orphan, the ten year old Bruce Wayne. Until she was five, they were like siblings. Then Bruce left, in the night, without explanation. At five years old, Barbara couldn't grasp what had happened, and was heartbroken at the disappearance of her brother.

Jim felt that he had failed as a parent not once, but twice. Before taking in Bruce Wayne, his own son had been arrested for vandalism and assault. Over the past ten years he's been out of prison just three times, never for more than two months. Now an adult, he's been in jail for the last eight years, for the attempted murder of one of his accomplices. With Bruce running away, James Jr. in jail, and Jim getting more and more ingrained with trying to fix the broken police force, his wife, the elder Barbara left him and their five year old daughter shortly after Bruce left. The strain of all these things together; one delinquent son, one runaway son, and a mother and wife who walked out on the family, pushed Jim to try harder as a father. This meant he pushed Barbara hard, he wanted her to excel. In school, in sports, and most of all, in life. Barbara reacted like coal, becoming a diamond under the pressure. She skipped the third and fourth grades, and is set to graduate high school at sixteen. Until she hurt her knee last year, she was the best gymnast in the state, having taken home the state championship her freshman, sophomore and junior seasons, before tearing her ACL in track season her junior year. Now more focused than ever on school, she strives to follow in her dad's footsteps no matter how much he doesn't want her to.

This all changed when suddenly, inexplicably, Bruce Wayne was back in her life. Well not her's specifically, but the city's. She resolved herself to confront him, and ask him why he had torn her family apart. After being saved from a violent encounter by the Batman while searching for Bruce Wayne, Barbara put two and two together and figured out why her 'brother' had left them. That it was something he needed to do, and she decided that she needed to help him.

Why this character? A couple reasons. I got it through my head that it would be fun to play her, but I didn't want to step on MB's toes. So I put it out there that I was tempted to apply as her, and he actually told me to do it, that she fit into his origin story. So this app only applies if MB gets Batman (or if whoever does get Batman wants to run with the story). I love Babs, and she's one of the characters I haven't played before. Lastly, I really really want to work with MB again.

What can you bring to the RPG? 20 years of Pre-Nu52 DC fandom, several years of roleplaying experience and a foil to keep MB inline.

It was time for her media studies class. They always spent the first half hour watching the last night's news and then spent a half an hour discussing it. Today the first story was about a philanthropist who had recently returned to Gotham and was working on making life better in the Narrows. She looked at the screen and saw a face she had last seen ten years ago, while and in pictures her dad kept. The caption just drove it home.

Bruce is back. Mom would still be here if he hadn't runaway. That *******.

Barbara was less active in the discussion than she normally was. Instead trying to find out as much about Bruce's return as she could. For the last ten years he had been a ghost. Appearing briefly here and there, but never staying. He had suddenly shown up back in town just mere weeks ago.

She had seen that he was working in the Narrows, so under the alibi of studying late at the library (a believable alibi for her) Barbara trekked into the bad part of town after school one day, looking for Bruce. As smart as she was, sometimes she let her young age show through in her common sense. This was one of those times. It wasn't long until night fell, and she still hadn't found Bruce. What she did find was trouble. A group of teenage gang members approached her, cat calling and brandishing knives. Barbara had taken years of martial arts; of course she had, being the daughter of a cop. But there were too many of them, and she found herself on the ground, screaming for help. That's when help came. A thing, maybe a man, maybe not, dropped from the sky above her assailants and within minutes her attackers were left broken and bloody on the ground around her. She sobbed looking up at her savior, getting a feeling of familiarity as she looked at his strong jaw. A feeling that only multiplied when he spoke, "Best get home to your father, miss."

It wasn't until she got home that she put things together though. The voice and profile of the man were so familiar but she couldn't place why. She got home late, and sure enough her dad was waiting with supper. They talked, about her day, details of which she left out, and about his work. There was a new vigilante working out of the Narrows. A man that most of the criminals who he had put down said was a demon, or a giant bat. Jim knew he had to just be a guy in a suit, but the stories were the same all the time. Tonight it was eight teenagers they found. All of them confessed to attempted rape of a young girl. Barbara got silent, and worried that her dad knew that she was that girl.

"What's wrong honey?"

"Nothing, dad. I just worry. I have friends who've been, you know..."

"Yeah. I worry about you too, honey. Just be careful, always have your mace, and try not to go anywhere alone. This girl was stupid enough to be in the Narrows after dark, and alone."

She got silent again. Finally she broke the silence.

"Dad? When did this Batguy start doing his thing?"

"About three weeks ago. Why?"

"Just curious. It's interesting."

Very interesting. That's about when Bruce came back too. And there was something... Nah.

"May I be excused, Dad? I have lots of homework."

"Certainly, Barbara. Study hard!"

She went upstairs to her room and flipped open her laptop. Oh she was going to research, but not for school. She spent hours pouring over news stories, rumors and gossip about both Bruce Wayne and the "Batman". There were no pictures of the latter, but plenty of the former. She zoomed in, and studied.

That jaw. It's true. That's the jaw. Bruce is the vigilante. He saved my life. This is why he left us. This is what he has to do. Well I'm gonna pay it forward damnit. I'm gonna help him. I can't let him do this alone.

Quote:
I'll try.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:02 PM   #47
Bounce
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C. View Post
Constantine, Question, and Atom are all APPROVED.

EDIT: So is Kai-Ro.
Sweet!

Do we have an ETA on the IC?

Old 07-27-2014, 01:17 PM   #48
Andy C.
Repent, Harlequin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce View Post
Sweet!

Do we have an ETA on the IC?
Probably about three or four days, to get everyone's current apps sorted out and see if there are any last-minute stragglers.

Okay, so, something I wanted to clarify my stance on for future reference. I don't know if anyone has a problem with it now, but I want to clear the air now in case it becomes a 'thing' later. Namely, why I'm cool with Bounce's app for Kai-Ro skipping Hal and the other Lanterns, but wasn't cool with Carnage's app for Wally skipping and knocking off Barry.

The big difference is the context of the heroes' particular franchise. Even though there have been multiple Flashes, it's usually meant to be a singular role, so there would only be one Flash at any given time. Skipping Barry and knocking him off prevents other players from being able to use the character if they have an idea for him-- conversely, starting with Barry would still allow Wally to be playable, either as a supporting role or to inherit the Flash title later on. The Green Lantern Corps, however, was always meant to have multiple Lanterns all over the place, so Kai-Ro being the first human Lantern has no effect on other players who might want to pick up Hal or John or Guy or Kyle.

Hopefully y'all see where I'm coming from with that decision, so you don't think I'm just going back on my own rules.

Also, while I'm here, I might as well clear the air about something else: this is NOT Ultimate DC. Yes, you're allowed to stray from the canon and add or subtract character elements, but the goal in Year One is not changing stuff around for its own sake. If you have an original take on a character, then by all means, let's see it. If, however, you want to just lift a character straight from the comics, or the movies, or the DCAU or whatever, then that's allowable as well. If changes get made, then make them not just to score points for creativity, but in the interest of making the character as strong and compelling as possible.

Again, that's not something that's really an issue at the moment, but I wanted to clarify my stance on it in case it becomes an issue later on. Anyway, second app will hopefully be up before I have to go to work-- if not, look for it late tonight.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:20 PM   #49
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Character Name: Lieutenant Edward Nygma, GCPD

Alignment (Hero, Villain, Walking the Line): WTL

Oh, wait...

-- Otto von Bismarck

Below The Bible Belt
Old 07-27-2014, 04:20 PM   #50
Batman
Dramatic Example
SHH! Global Moderator

GODDAMN YOU.

I seriously thought for a moment that you were really going to do it. Do you know how stiff these pants got?!

Batman is offline   Reply With Quote