Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Hype RPG Games > Fight Club

View Poll Results: Superman vs. Captain Marvel
Superman 116 61.05%
Captain Marvel 74 38.95%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2006, 12:03 PM   #26
Hachiman

Default Re: Superman vs. Captain Marvel

I like both characters but i'd give it to Superman. As cool as Capt. Marvel is, Superman is the original, and even with the weakness to magic, when push comes to shove Superman always pulls through.

In regards to posts above, my reading of KC has Supes the winner in that fight.
Supes was trying to subdue his friend in that fight and, as always, holding back. Realizing it wasnt working, he brought out his most powerful weapon, his heat vision, but again restrained himself. Marvel responded with the repeated lightning bolts, which being magical, drove Kal to his knees.
BUT, just as Marvel administered the coup de grace "Shazam" Kal outraced the bolt and crossed the distance between himself and Marvel, using Marvel's own powers to defeat him, and clamping Billy's jaw shut, and leaving him at Kal's mercy.

At that point any lesser man would've killed Billy, and despite the battering he had received Supes STILL survived the detonation which killed scores of others and had enough power to almost bring the UN building down
That fights the perfect example of why Supes is the greatest american comic character. Battered , almost broken, he still found a way to defeat an enemy who had him on the ropes.

Marvel has the wisdom of Solomon and C ourage of Achilles to rely on, and even that could'nt save him from Sivana and Luthor's mind control. But Supes does'nt have an allwise voice whispering in his head, and still comes out tops.
Power wise i'd put Marvel, as the champion of the gods(Atlas is a Titan god btw) at the same level as Supes is now, but Supes, as shown in JLA one Million and his own books, has no upper limit, and his power level will increase incrementally as long as he lives.
Also Superman IS a god albeit a scientific one, the definition of god in a comic universe being a powerful entity with enormous might and abilities. Zeus et al may be gods by their own account but they're far from all powerful. They're not the beings they claim to be. None of them created the universe, and their sphere of influence is limited to mostly one world, full of other pantheons. I dont know if its still canon, but DC's Genesis crossover pretty much exposed the DC pantheons origin as being mortal humans empowered by the Godwave, so thats their "divine" heritage. Not so really different from the Kryptonian ability to absorb sunlight and use it to empower themselves.
All i'm saying in summary, is this; Captain Matrvel has defeated Superman in the past and could do so again in future, his magic spawned abilities giving him an enormous edge. but Superman has defeated Marvel as well, his solar based abilities allowing him to hurt Marvel and other Magic based beings, including Thor. ALL those mentioned have ceiling for their power levels, but not Superman.

Guys like Thor and Marvel and other powerful beings can and have beat the Man of Steel, but when the chips are down, the World's Greatest Hero ALWAYS pull through.

Let me also say that i am not a Captain Marvel hater, he's a damn cool character and i really like him. In a fight between him and Supes tthough, he might pull out a couple wins, but my bet is 7 times out of ten Superman wins. He's the first, and Greatest.

[ jeez, thats a humungous post ]

Old 02-25-2006, 12:41 PM   #27
Red
King Littlefinger

Why isn't this in the DC section?

Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 11:52 AM   #28
TheFalcon
Side-Kick

I think Superman is the most powerful. His strength and invulnerability is greater than Capt. Marvels.
However a fight between the two would be cery close because of Supermans weakness against magic. If Capt. Marvel fights smart enough I think he would win.

TheFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 07:11 PM   #29
Elijya
Side-Kick

thanks for the two year old thread bump

::sigh:: moving.....

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
Elijya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 03:54 PM   #30
TheFalcon
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijya
thanks for the two year old thread bump
It's better than someone making yet another thread on it. It seems to be one of those things that get's asked every once in awhile anyway.

Old 03-03-2006, 04:04 PM   #31
Purple Man
Side-Kick

Let's see if I can settle this.

Superman/Batman issue 5:

Quote from Captain Marvel "It doesn't take the wisdom of Solomon to know you should stay down. I've beaten you in the past and I'll do it again if I have to-- but I don't want to."

Thought caption from Superman: "Marvel's powers are based on magic. Toe-to-toe he has the advantage."

Purple Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 04:08 PM   #32
fifthfiend
M4J3ST1C L3G1SL4C3R4TOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Man

Superman/Batman issue 5:

Quote from Captain Marvel "It doesn't take the wisdom of Solomon to know you should stay down. I've beaten you in the past and I'll do it again if I have to-- but I don't want to."

Thought caption from Superman: "Marvel's powers are based on magic. Toe-to-toe he has the advantage."
Yeah, and who ended up getting their ass kicked that time?

fifthfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 04:14 PM   #33
Red
King Littlefinger

How is Marvel winning?

Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 08:55 PM   #34
Wolvenom2099
Side-Kick

I pick Superman

Wolvenom2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 10:03 PM   #35
true316
Side-Kick

Captain Marvel is Earth's Mightiest Mortal. Superman has powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men. So I pick Superman. If it just would have said "slightly better than" or "about the same as" I might of picked Marvel. But as it stands: Superman.

true316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 10:29 PM   #36
Anubis
Sup?

Versus threads should be deleted from the database after two weeks of inactivity.

Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 05:22 AM   #37
thor god
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varient
The problem with this argument?:

"Worlds mightiest Mortal."

CM has established limitations and ATTRIBUTES of the "Gods" listed in his powerup.

I've read him breaking a sweat doing things Superman has no prob with.
I've read that his powers are halved or split into thirds whenever one of the other "marvels" power up.

Comic writers put the limit on your Deity-powered, red pajama, sissy cape wearing, yellow boot footin', mind of a teenager doesn't cut the mustard with the JLA, gotta settle for the JSA, "Big red cheese"

Not us.

Peace.
superman is a sissy too.

thor god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 09:11 AM   #38
Kirk Langstrom
FRANCINE!!!!

When i was a kid i had one of those big Treasury sized comics that featured a fight between Superman and Captain Marvel.

Supes mopped the floor with him. Actually knocked CM unconcious.

The plot involved Luthor and Dr.Sivanna working together and coming up with a device to anger the two heroes to the point of coming to blows....

The cover showed the two of them up above earth, punching each other, with Supergirl and Mary Marvel flying towards them as if trying to break the fight up...looked like Neal Adams artwork, but don't quote me...

I sure wish i still had it.

Old 03-04-2006, 09:48 AM   #39
CAPT. MARVEL
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthfiend
Yeah, and who ended up getting their ass kicked that time?
Batman

Bats: Billy? Can you hear me? Say something.
Captain Marvel: shazam

Anyways, Supes wins this, because he is Supes. Does anyone know the upper limit to Marv's invulnerability?

CAPT. MARVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 01:15 PM   #40
Horseman Gambit
Side-Kick

I'm going with Captain Marvel, he has hoppy the marvel bunny for back up hahaha

Horseman Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 01:24 PM   #41
TheFalcon
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPT. MARVEL
Does anyone know the upper limit to Marv's invulnerability?
I would think it's around Wonder Womans. Pretty high but not as high as Supermans. If not for the magic aspect Superman would have no problem with Capt. Marvel.

Old 03-05-2006, 09:59 AM   #42
The BatDude
Dopest Dope

going with Captain Marvel since Superman is weak against magic Captain Marvel will win this one

Last edited by The BatDude; 03-19-2006 at 04:39 PM.
The BatDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 04:09 PM   #43
Quinza

please superman could take marvel easily if he did not hold back he did not get his ass handed to him in kingdom come marvel's powers are only magic based and the only magic attack that he can do to hurt supes is call for the lightning bolt which in kindom come he used to hit superman 4 times even after that superman was able to stop marvel, changing him back to billy, even after that abuse he took at the hands of marvel he ready to take out that multi megaton nuclear bomb he even tells marvel that he can stop it but not sure that he should marvel stops it but gets blown to smitherines.

plus recently superman was being controlled by eclipso even the combined power of marvel and shazam could not stop him they had to ask the spectre for help true that they did not want to kill supes but if you read the comic you see eclipsosupes get struck numerous times by the lightning and still come back for more if superman went all out marvel would be finished.

Old 03-17-2006, 06:35 PM   #44
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Man

Superman/Batman issue 5:

which could be interpreted as someone noting that someone else has powers one doesn't have...

superman's got X-ray vision, that gives him the advantage...deoesn't mean anyones weak against it!

Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 06:39 PM   #45
Marvin
Side-Kick

as far as the KO?

you need to ask yourself if Dick can KO Bruce with a sucker punch from behind...and then ask yourself if that makes him stronger

Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:50 PM   #46
Bullseye
Side-Kick

Doesn't Superman have a weakness toward magic, so I would think that Captain Marvel would prevail.

Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:48 PM   #47
Warhammer
Half Monk, Half Hitman

Superman.
But not by a longshot.

Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 01:06 PM   #48
el sensei
Side-Kick

Listen capt marvel only has the strength of hercules which sucks and could never be compared to supes strength. so supes can knock him out with one punch.

el sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 01:41 PM   #49
marcofthebeast
X-Rays on my brain!

He may only have the streangh of Hercules but he has the wisdom if Solomon, the stamina of Atlas, the power of Zues, The courage of Achilles and the speed of Mercury. I was always under the impression that they are about equal in terms of damn near everything. And one match from a book dosen't completley determine how the match would go, considering they a few times.

marcofthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 07:56 PM   #50
flash gordon
Newbie First Class

If you ask Fawcett comics,captain marvel. ask DC and its superman.

in reality, Fawcett created Captain Marvel as their answer to Superman, this happens all the time(see batman, see spiderman) but CM started becoming more popular than superman and that spelled the demise of CM......I really think they are equal, but just can't occupy the same space......If you have a Captain Marvel who needs a Superman and vice-versa?

flash gordon is offline   Reply With Quote