• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Direct democracy

The Question

Objectivism doesn't work.
Reaction score
What do people think about direct democracy? You know, no legislatures, no legislative representatives, every law is written and voted on by the total population. We have the technology now where it would be possible to do this in a timely manner. The question is, is it a smart form of government? And if it is, at what level? Municipal? State? Federal?

What do you guys think? Should we, at any level of government, replace legislatures with direct votes from the citizens? What do you think the possible complications are? And what do you think the solutions might be?

So populism? Basically, mob rule? No thanks. I don't have that much faith in the intellect and common sense of my fellow man. The South would pretty much be the Confederacy again. And would court cases still change laws? Forget gay marriage in any, but the most progressive of blue states. Blacks and whites would probably still be segregated today without federal intervention.

No, forget that noise. Definitely against populism.

In small townships this can work and does in some in the New England region, in countries with the population of the US....just not realistic or feasible.

I'm with JJJ on this one. The general population isn't the smartest or the most informed and they're usually motivated by emotion and not fact or science. Also, the undecided or apathetic voters would be the most easily swayed. A friend of mine doesn't care about politics or global events and I could convince her that ISIS is a human rights group that is trying to better the world. People like that should not be allowed to create and vote on laws.

Last edited:
What do people think about direct democracy? You know, no legislatures, no legislative representatives, every law is written and voted on by the total population. We have the technology now where it would be possible to do this in a timely manner. The question is, is it a smart form of government? And if it is, at what level? Municipal? State? Federal?

What do you guys think? Should we, at any level of government, replace legislatures with direct votes from the citizens? What do you think the possible complications are? And what do you think the solutions might be?

At the state level a lot of have that with propositions you can vote on at the ballot. That was something started by populist Governors, I believe Wisconsin was the first to do it. The negative aspect like JJJ mentioned is mob rule. That's how Prop 8 got passed in California, for instance. I think A Republic better protects the minority opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheCat
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"