My Mom Made It For Me: The Superman Suit Thread

Other than George Reeves, I don't think any of the TV Supermen have made a large mainstream impact.

Film is just a far richer medium, and especially with comic book films, the visuals are as important as the story/dialogue. A lot of those TV images look like "dress up".
Lois and Clark was pretty damn popular and Smallville although sans a true "Superman" did run for a long time.

I hated Smallville but at its peak, it averaged nearly 8 million viewers a week in the US alone. Lois & Clark got up to 20 million US viewers at one point. Most networks/shows would absolutely kill for that kind of viewership now. To say they had no impact when legions of fans grew up on them is ridiculous. TV now is not what TV was then. TV fostered more emotional connection because there weren't 10 bajillion shows released every month, 85% of which fly completely under the radar, and people invited their favorite characters into their living room en masse on a weekly basis. Where movies are "big events," TV shows are how characters become your friends for life.

Other than George Reeves, I don't think any of the TV Supermen have made a large mainstream impact.

Film is just a far richer medium, and especially with comic book films, the visuals are as important as the story/dialogue. A lot of those TV images look like "dress up".

Ok, one should be very clear, nothing and I mean NOTHING in media is more impactful for an IP than a hit movie, but to say Lois&Clark and Smallville did not have a large mainstream impact is just folly.
L&C had between 20-22 million viewers on average every week in it's 3rd season. Terry Hatcher wrapped in Superman cape was the internet's most viewed pic.
Smallville in it's 2nd season averaged between 7-8 million viewers.
Rolling stone magazine released an article sometime in the mid 2000s noting how Smallville's impact in promoting the superhero genre was equivalent to most Hollywood tentpoles. Now I personally disagree with that claim and Rollingstone magazine has become quite a joke of a publication in the post 2000s era but to even make such a claim highlights the series's impact.
Also, while isn't as recognizable as the above 2 shows Superboy (88-92) was a top 10 regular in the Nelson ratings before WB completely torpedoed the series and completely buried it
Again, movies are where it's at but Superman's storied history on TV has had a huge impact in keeping the character relevant.

Last edited:
Ugh PINK clouds... so lame 🙄

69d48f0d-b705-42af-91ed-9343f7e309f2_text.gif

Kinda looks like Supes is on the john — dealing with super gastrointestinal issues. :ninja:

I love the aesthetic look of Corenswet's suit and I can easily see Milly having a similar looking suit to his in this movie and in her own solo film as well

In Birthright Ma Kent still made the suit, but modeled it after the images Clark had shown her of Kryptonians from his data crystal or whatever it was.

Anyway, I love this piece, even if it misses on the texture:

Came here to post this. Saw it and immediately got excited. The best manip yet.

If the first reveal of the Superman suit was actually this, I Don't think the backlash would be nowhere as near as bad as I've seen on other social media websites. Me, I'm not a fan. the DC52 aesthetic, I really hate. the high neckline, I hate... honestly, I wish we had the traditional simple design over the kingdom come design (even though I do like the kingdom come design), I honestly think that should have been left for a sequel but that's just my personal opinion.

I hated Smallville but at its peak, it averaged nearly 8 million viewers a week in the US alone. Lois & Clark got up to 20 million US viewers at one point. Most networks/shows would absolutely kill for that kind of viewership now. To say they had no impact when legions of fans grew up on them is ridiculous. TV now is not what TV was then. TV fostered more emotional connection because there weren't 10 bajillion shows released every month, 85% of which fly completely under the radar, and people invited their favorite characters into their living room en masse on a weekly basis. Where movies are "big events," TV shows are how characters become your friends for life.

The emotional connection bit is 100% spot on, and explains why we get so attached to some TV characters. And why comic cons are such huge events now, more so for TV stars than movie stars - the amount of fans who flock to see them is incredible.

Funnily enough, I watched a few Youtube reactors and one of them is currently working through Star Trek : The Next Generation. However, rather than watching every episode, they're taking only a few (fan suggested ones) from each season. I do like this reactor but think this is the wrong approach for the reasons you've mentioned above, it's the easy camaraderie built over 7 seasons of this show that made fans so invested in the TNG characters and watching a few eps here and there will not give them the full picture.

I hope I'm wrong, but I won't be surprised if his superman suit isn't under his regular Clark clothes.
Or if it is, it will only be partial, and the rest
( cape, boots, pants ) will prolly be some sort of nano tech.

I hope I'm wrong, but I won't be surprised if his superman suit isn't under his regular Clark clothes.
Or if it is, it will only be partial, and the rest
( cape, boots, pants ) will prolly be some sort of nano tech.
I agree it doesn't look like an under clothes suit... but it also doesn't look like nanotech to me. Also be weird to show him putting the boots on like that if they were nanotech.

Nanotech is one gigantic thing I hope they don't turn to, simply because they don't need to. They already have it with Iron Man, and that makes sense for a regular man to have nanotechnology to create his iron suit around him. Superman doesn't need that.

Honestly that new Superman cartoon, whenever he suits up, it reminds me of Sailor freaking Moon...

Nanotech is one gigantic thing I hope they don't turn to, simply because they don't need to. They already have it with Iron Man, and that makes sense for a regular man to have nanotechnology to create his iron suit around him. Superman doesn't need that.

Honestly that new Superman cartoon, whenever he suits up, it reminds me of Sailor freaking Moon...
I think that's the point. :p

But yes I'm going possible Nanotech suit.

LOL okay I get the point... I'm not opposed to the Superman character being translated into an anime show. But let me ask you this: if Tony Stark had an anime show, and the way he suited up in that anime show, was him carrying around with him The individual pieces of his suit rather than using nanotech, do you think that would make any type of story wise sense?

I would say no, because nanotechnology for Iron Man works... Tony Stark is a genius, and he would use something like that to his advantage, And him using nanotechnology to suit up is also playing into his character: him being an engineering genius... Superman, on the other hand, has no need for nanotechnology. Nanotech wouldn't suit the Superman character because nanotech Is not an aspect that needs to be added, on the basis that, unlike Tony Stark, Superman can get away with wearing his costume underneath his clothes, performing the iconic shirt rip, and folding his clothes up real small and putting it in a small pocket that's on his cape (yes, that's a silver age reference)...
Honestly, it would be just as easy to have Superman have his suit and a duffel bag Rather than him perform the iconic shirt rip... I'm fine with the shirt grip combat I would also be fine with him carrying the suit on a duffel bag. While Superman is smart he is not a bonafide military genius. I like the interpretation that krypton became a xenophobic civilization that strayed away from interaction from the rest of the 28 known galaxies...

Having Superman wear nanotechnology makes absolutely no sense. Superman is super because of his abilities, not because his suit can magically form around him. Superman doesn't need nanotechnology to be super.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"