NBC's Good Place - From the Creator of Parks and Rec

My impression was that this season - though fine enough - wasn’t the strongest. Not as funny or zany as prior seasons. Or maybe I’m too dumb to appreciate the deeper dive into philosophy. :O

But… this finale was excellent! And it was - if I may say - more spiritually profound than most mainstream religions. :ninja:

I don't think it is necessarily more profound but I do think it did a good job of taking different ideas from different religions and branches of philosophy and consolidating them into something that felt cogent but was also entertaining. It's funny because it is an absurdist comedy but it uses the absurdist construct to search for truth and also humanity.

I also totally agree with you, it was a fine season but for the most part I didn't like it as much as the first two seasons or the back-half of the third season. The Return of the Judge ep was great but I was just kind of mildly into the rest... but the finale was SOOOO good it kind of elevates the season for me and, man, what a way to stick the landing for the series as whole. I'm honestly surprised with the way the show has been that they were able to get the show to that point of fullness and completion that the characters in the finale were also looking for. For a show that was always filled with surprises, they saved the best surprise for last--but it wasn't a twist or rug pull, it was grace. Beautiful.

Last edited:
Best ratings since the season premiere with 2.3 million. On an unrelated note, right before it, Superstore came in at 2.8 million. Haven't seen that show, but must be solid to be pulling in those numbers even ahead of The Good Place's series finale.

TV Ratings: ‘The Good Place’ Goes Out on a High
NBC’s “The Good Place” signed off last night after after seasons to its highest rating and total viewership for 12 weeks.

The series finale scored a 0.7 rating among adults 18-49 and 2.3 million total viewers, its best tally in both demographic since the season 4 premiere back in September. Following the finale, the network aired a special to celebrate the show, featuring interviews between Seth Meyers and the cast and creators. That special scored a 0.6 and 2 million total viewers.

Earlier in the night, “Superstore” came in at a 0.7 and 2.8 million total viewers, even week-to-week, while “Law & Order: SVU” capped things off for the Peacock with a 0.6 and 3.6 million total viewers.

That was a proper way to end a series. So many shows come to the series finale then face plant right into the ground. This took a leap and made the jump.

Finally caught up on all this. Haven't been commenting much because the last season or two kind of lost it's luster for me-- particularly when they were back on Earth studying. But that finale... My gosh, well done to everyone involved, because that was a hell of a thing.

Held off on watching this because I didn’t want it to end. That broke me and my lady. What a brilliant ending.

See, you're like me with Parks and Rec. I held off on watching the series finale for a number of years because in my mind, if I didn't watch it, then it wasn't technically over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannnnman
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"