The next couple Marvel Studios movies sound like they will be hit after hit

Mr. Dent

Superhero
Reaction score
I mean seriously, let's run through this:

Captain America: The Winter Soldier: Already high, positive buzz based off prescreenings and the trailers. It looks truly revolutionary in itself in some ways with it taking the basic elements of a superhero movie and turning it into a conspiracy political thriller with kick ass gritty action and large superhero blockbuster set pieces. What The Dark Knight was to crime drama genre, I feel The Winter Soldier will be to the political thriller genre. The movie has serious potential to get a high 80's or better rating on RT.

Guardians of the Galaxy: This is also getting really good buzz and introducing a completely new concept to hollywood blockbuster. It's a legitimate pulp space opera given a superhero movie blockbuster budget. Just think about that for a minute. Think about seeing stuff like Farscape or Captain Harlock or Space Cobra on a $170m budget...except even more zany. It has an actor that looks set to be the next big Hollywood star in Chris Pratt as the lead, and an extremely unique tone coming via James Gunn that could have people dying of laughter. There's not much to go on with this film but I just have a good feeling about this movie and think it will strike a tone with comedy, drama, and pure awesome action that has seldom been achieved in Hollywood.

Avengers: Age of Ultron: We're starting to get a clearer picture of how this movie will roughly play out and it seems like it will be absolutely fantastic. The script seems like it's jampacked but in a way that will flow seamlessly together and it has potential to hit comic book geek levels that will make even the first film seem like Batman Forever in comparison. The story of the Avengers inadvertently creating their own worst foe is extremely compelling in itself, but toss in extra things like JARVIS becoming Vision and Ultron and Vision potentially being the two halves of JARVIS that hate and love Tony, outside elements in the Maximoff twins that will create a sense of uncertainty throughout the movie and further raise the stakes and add conflict for the Avengers, an international scope instead of just being on the Helicarrier and in New York the entire movie, and potentially the introduction of Ms. Marvel, the involvement of War Machine, and the mere presence of all the Marvel staples like HYDRA and SHIELD and you have what seems like the makings of yet again the best pure superhero movie ever if done correctly.

And finally Ant-Man: Edgar Wright as director, Paul Rudd as the leading man, and Michael Douglas a grizzled, weary old scientist. A story of passing things on to the next generation, and potentially a cold war political bend to it. And of course the action scenes involving a man shrinking are going to end up being way more awesome than people can imagine. For a character that very little people care about, and what seems to be a very bare bones scopre, this movie sounds like it will be a different kind of awesome that will harken back to the first Iron Man. It won't be as big per se' as any of the other three movies, but it knows what it wants to tell and it sounds extremely original and so simplistically awesome, it just gives me the feeling of literally a big indie film.

I mean, Marvel could seriously have back to back to back big time critically acclaimed hits on their hands with the way it's shaping out. I was never to enamoured with what I saw coming out of Thor 2 and while I was expecting IM3 to be just a bit better than what it turned out, I never felt it would set the world on fire or anything. I really feel like these upcoming 4 Marvel movies all have the kind of creative juices pumped into them to all result in extremely awesome products in their own way.

And that's not even mentioning TASM2. Even though it's made by Sony, that movie really looks like it's taking a page out of the Avengers' book in terms of feeling like it's popping right off the comic page. I don't expect it to necessarily have the originality and freshness of the upcoming Marvel Studios movies, but I feel like the story it will tell will be very emotional and much more concise than the first film and will be a big hit as well.

tl;dr, I really feel like Marvel is about to put on a clinic over the next two years and do something really unprecedented.

Last edited:
I completely agree but I do feel out of the four you mentioned GOTG is still a wild card, at least until we see a trailer.

True, but if Marvel really have the confidence that they're tentatively setting that 2016 date for GOTG2, I have to imagine the film is coming out exactly the way they wanted it to, and the vision from what I understand it is absolutely something Hollywood has never seen and will be amazing.

I still see Ant-Man as the riskiest of the films.

Ignoring box office, I'd say Ant-Man is the one most guaranteed to be good.

I'm not quite sure what we're meant to be talking about in this thread...

Depends on the amount of unnecessary and borderline eye-rolling humor they shove everywhere(because after Avengers, it was found that General Audiences responded extremely well to the Stylistic humor and moments of levity so business logic dictates they must milk the humor to the max until people are sick of it so they get more money as they believe revenue is proportional to what the GA liked from the last film rather than listen to the fans who want a balanced, comic-faithful and quality film to enjoy for years or stick with the business model that made them early in the first place ie Phase 1 which had the right mix and balance of action, humor and good character moments) and also how much Marvel Studios cares about the villains in their movies outside of Loki.

I mean Loki's heavy lifting was done in Thor, and it's likely Thanos and the world around him would be explored in GOTG a bit so where's Ultron's??!! I mean the cast is getting a little bit bloated now with nearly everyone from the last movie plus Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Vision, Ms Marvel, and possibly Black Panther as we know they're headed to Africa at one point to possibly do scenes in Wakanda. So how would poor Ultron's be treated?

Ant-Man is probably the most likely to do poor financially, but in terms of quality Guardians of the Galaxy is the one I'm most worried about.

Cap and Avengers we should have a good idea on what to expect.

These movies are going to be awesome. I am strapped in for the ride. Set the Millenium Falcon to Warp 10, we're going to whoop Ultron's ass.

I'm going to have a s***-eating grin on my face while watching every last one of those movies. I really love this universe they've built and i can't wait to see it expand further

When phase 2 was first announced I thought Thor was gonna be incredible and I completely wrote off Cap (least favourite phase 1). Now having seen Thor and the trailer for Cap the tables have turned. The Winter Soldier looks incredible! The up close and personal action beats mixed with over the top 'splosions! not to mention the potential MCU shake up at the end of everything. Cap2 has the potential to be incredible and I hope it satisfies.

I have complete faith in James Gunn, Slither and Super may not have blown up the box office but they accomplished what they set out to do. Gunn had a very specific vision for those films and they hit exactly the write notes for the audience he was playing to. If he has put in the same effort and love into GotG than it will come out a gem. Plus theres Rocket and Groot so its automatically gonna be the best of phase 2 lol. In all seriousness tho, it has a great cast and the early talk around the project is very promising. I am expecting great things.

AoU... its gonna be dope. If Joss can bottle the same magic as his first go round than the movie will be fantastic. The Vision costume sounds awesome and I can't wait to see some solid still from set.

Antman is by far the riskiest in terms of drawing or resonating with the GA. The name sounds silly and doesn't really mesh with the other franchises. I think this is going to be a turn off for a lot of people. But from what has come out about it it sounds good. Rudd is a great choice imo and Douglas will be great as 60's Pym. If the rumours are true about Evangeline Lilly than I'm all for it (please let her Wasp, just change her Lang's love interest and there are no issues).

All in all there is plenty to look forward to and I completely agree with idea that Marvel could be seeing 4 straight critical and finical hits (even though preceding films have received generally middling reviews all around).

MR.DENT-WHAT DID U THINK OF IM3 AND THOR 2? I really like im3,i like tonys arc, the writing is good , the acting is good etc.it is really good, thor 2 was good,it was emotonall hollow though and it had a couple of big problems imo,i think cap is gona be great,i hope to god guardians is good

All of Marvel films have the residual appeal of the Avengers (and Iron Man to a lesser degree) that will help increase their profits at least a little. Slap "from the studio that brought you The Avengers and the Iron Man trilogy" onto the advertisements for GOTG/Ant Man and you're going to get at least a few more people to see them that might not have been interested before. Emphasizing Edgar Wright would probably also help Ant Man in this regard as well. As for GOTG, it's not like space-films don't sell. Star Wars, Star Trek, Avatar, District 9, Galaxy Quest, etc all prove that they do.

Ignoring box office, I'd say Ant-Man is the one most guaranteed to be good.

Agreed.
It could have gone either way before casting news came down, but now you've got Michael Douglas and Paul Rudd in the leads, with Evangeline Lilly probably taking female lead; so Hollywood is definitely taking notice now. I don't think we're done with the amazing casting news for Ant-Man yet, not by a long shot.

I think the OP is onto something. The only thing that's in serious doubt is Ant-Man. Wright isn't a 'name' that draws the masses. He's good, no doubt, but 'from the maker of Scott Pilgrim' isn't much of an endorsement, even though it should be.

I know GOTG is "unproven" but everyone backstage seems to be suuuuuper pumped. There was no one saying "this might be the best movie Marvel's ever made" while promoting Thor 2 or even Iron Man 3. GOTG seems like its just solid, solid stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"