X-Men ‘97 X-Men ‘97 News and Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS!!!!)

On the semi-bright side, given Xavier's vision and what it could represent, there's still somewhat of a likelihood that he could return as Death. Lord knows Sinister would take notice of how Gambit's abilities obliterated the Master Mold and not letting it go to waste, Apocalypse or not.
I don't know if Rogue will let Gambit's body go so Sinister would need to figure out a way.

I don't know if Rogue will let Gambit's body go so Sinister would need to figure out a way.
I mean, they’ll bury it lol. There’s a clip of a coffin being lowered into the ground from one of the trailers and it’s more than likely Gambit’s. At that point, Sinister just needs a couple of sneaky and quick grave robbers.

That being said, I think the skeleton Gambit vision was a fake out to give Gambit fans hope but the writers are being jerks about it

They haven't done anything with Beast, he is due to get his own episode.
I just realized Wolverine had like 2 minutes of screentime in the last 3 weeks and I had a little erection. :o

oprah.gif

And I hope he won't have his own episode.

I just realized Wolverine had like 2 minutes of screentime in the last 3 weeks and I had a little erection. :o

oprah.gif

And I hope he won't have his own episode.
Four episodes are left, and Wolverine, Rogue, Beast, and Scott are still due for a "Previously on..."

So yeah
I don't get why Lifedeath wasn't just its own episode, and then mash the Mojo and Sh'iar stuff together
Kinda sucks that a major comic arc for Storm was made into the b plot in two episodes

But it was a good (not great) episode

And yeah, those interviews don't give me hope for Remy... "Killing off" two complicated, beloved characters to give one character trauma to work through (a character who's already had plenty of trauma over the years)... idk

At least they went out like champs

Last edited by a moderator:
A wise android once said, "What is grief but love persevering..."

Either they go the easy route and bring the character back, or the hard way where death, loss, finality are real things.

Episode 6 for me was just okay. But then, Xavier and Storm have never really been up there in my favourites list.
Still a decent watch.
I did enjoy Xavier's little bit of swagger in the 'classroom' :D and in fact the whole episode. Had some personality!

Last edited by a moderator:
That haunting part of Happy Nation that plays during Maddie's vision and Cable's emergence repeats in my head like a harp from hell. That whole sequence is just so, so eerie and magnetic. Probably my favorite bit in an already legendary episode.

I really hope we continue to see more of Forge, hopefully as an X-Man. Makes sense that he’d go with Storm to the mansion after seeing the news of Genosha.

And I know the new costume is a classic Storm look but I live for the all-white 90s get-up; sad to see it go. It seems odd to use a look from the mid-70s for a show very definitively set in the late 90s but that’s probably just me bugging. I just hope the rest of the team doesn’t follow suit, with Jean going back to her Marvel Girl look or Cyclops putting on the big ‘ol pirate boots.

I’d imagine the next episode ‘Bright Eyes’ will deal with the fallout of the Genosha with the X-Men regrouping and mourning before kicking into high gear for the finale.

Oh and super excited that Nightcrawler is seemingly joining the team. I wonder if Iceman and/or the other X-Factor members are far behind…

I'll confess that I'm more upset that Dazzler is gone than Gambit. But that's because we at least got 6 seasons with him. Not Dazzler.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I never thought for one moment - even immediately after watching Episode 5 - that Gambit was getting killed off for good. I'm really surprised at how many people believe this is going to be permanent.

1. People who work on the show have gone on record to say that Rogue and Gambit are OTP. Pretty tough sell when 1/2 of it dies 5 episodes into the show and never comes back.

2. That producer's statement danced around the question of Gambit's death being permanent without actually answering it.
Q: Is Gambit dead for good?
A: Don't think about that. Think about what it will do to Rogue!

3. The MASSIVE references to time travel.

4. All that to say nothing of how monumentally stupid it would be on a practical level to bring back a character people have been begging for over the better part of 20 years only to kill him off five episodes into a new series and never bring him back.

5. Even if NONE of these other things convinced you, surely the Gambit cameo in Episode 6 should make you question whether he is coming back. The glaring at Professor Xavier on the astral plane, the globe being blown up (with his power signature btw), and everyone in the room "dying"? Come on, now. Isn't that obvious foreshadowing for Death Gambit?

Just my opinion.

General comments about the show and the X-men in the MCU:

I am enjoying X-men 97 a lot. But it isn't a perfect show by any means. The pacing is horrendous in some parts. And the show, in my opinion, relies far too heavily on the work done in the original series and the comic books to establish characters, relationships, and stories. Storm and Forge's relationship immediately springs to mind as an example of this. If I were not someone who had been reading X comics for years and was very familiar with the characters and their world already, I'm not entirely sure I would have found Episode 5 as compelling as I did. But maybe that's just me. *shrugs*

People are saying they want this team to have creative control over the live-action movies too. I would prefer that a different team bring a different creative energy, thanks. We can have two different teams both doing amazing and different things with the X-Men.

Also, I am genuinely saddened by how many people online have started a Get Beau Demayo Back campaign. How can you want that when you have no idea why he was fired in the first place? He is not the only person in the universe who can do the X-Men justice. And giving him sole credit for the success of this series is wild af.

ETA: More points and general commentary on the show.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I never thought for one moment - even immediately after watching Episode 5 - that Gambit was getting killed off for good. I'm really surprised at how many people believe this is going to be permanent.

1. People who work on the show have gone on record to say that Rogue and Gambit are OTP. Pretty tough sell when 1/2 of it dies 5 episodes into the show and never comes back.

2. That producer's statement danced around the question of Gambit's death being permanent without actually answering it.

3. Even if NONE of these other things convinced you, surely the Gambit cameo in Episode 6 should make you question whether he is coming back. The glaring at Professor Xavier on the astral plane, the globe being blown up (with his power signature btw), and everyone in the room "dying"? Come on, now. Isn't that obvious foreshadowing for Death Gambit?

Just my opinion.
I certainly hope you're right. :(

3. Even if NONE of these other things convinced you, surely the Gambit cameo in Episode 6 should make you question whether he is coming back. The glaring at Professor Xavier on the astral plane, the globe being blown up (with his power signature btw), and everyone in the room "dying"? Come on, now. Isn't that obvious foreshadowing for Death Gambit?

Just my opinion.
Gambit's cameo in episode 6 is indeed making me wonder if they're bringing him back as Death eventually (especially since Sinister is responsible for the Genosha genocide and we know who he also answers to), and I'm currently still skeptical that Magneto is truly dead because if he was, he would have 100% popped up in Xavier's vision.

Though I guess they could have done skeleton Gambit as some of my nod without the intent of going through that storyline. We have yet to see. But I do agree that as of right now there's more than meets the eye here.

Gambit's cameo in episode 6 is indeed making me wonder if they're bringing him back as Death eventually (especially since Sinister is responsible for the Genosha genocide and we know who he also answers to), and I'm currently still skeptical that Magneto is truly dead because if he was, he would have 100% popped up in Xavier's vision.

Though I guess they could have done skeleton Gambit as some of my nod without the intent of going through that storyline. We have yet to see. But I do agree that as of right now there's more than meets the eye here.
But Death is a Horseman of Apocalypse. What does Sinister have to do with Death? Did I miss something?

Also, I am genuinely saddened by how many people online have started a Get Beau Demayo Back campaign. How can you want that when you have no idea why he was fired in the first place? He is not the only person in the universe who can do the X-Men justice.
When you look at how Letitia Wright and Evangeline Lily were treated, to me at least, it's shamelessly clear how selective cancel culture is.

Based on what we know, both James Gunn and Beau DeMayo said despicable, terrible things. But at the end of the day, DeMayo is black and gay, so he most likely won't be graced with the gift of a second chance, the bless of educating himself, like beloved James Gunn. So people will sink their teeth into his throat while celebrating the highly antecipated Superman Legacy. And dear god, don't get me started on JK Rowling.

What I say, I say as a person who admittedly gave a second chance to Gunn, as many in this forum did, and I don't regret it. So if I did this, why on earth would I deny it to DeMayo, based on what we know?

What he said offended "my team", but he's also part of my team. And I connect to this weight minorities carry in having to be "flawless", because if we do **** up, forgiviness won't be an option.

I also say that the most challenging and difficult part for me in being progressive is believing in the transforming power of education. Believe it, I find it very challenging, but it's the option we have, otherwise how do we change people?

I honestly dislike cancel culture and I wish Zygmunt Bauman was alive to talk about it, because sometimes I feel it's just a way of avoiding difficult topics and selectively getting rid of who we don't want.

Admittedly I don't know everything DeMayo did, but for that I don't feel like grabing my fork right now. Meanwhile I'll be giving credit where credit is due.

This has been, so far, the best X-Men adaptation I've seen, which is subjective of course. And I'd give DeMayo a second chance in a heartbeat (if he'd willing to change). I'm just being consistent with my believes.

Last edited:
But Death is a Horseman of Apocalypse. What does Sinister have to do with Death? Did I miss something?

While none of it has been established in the animated series (yet), him and Apocalypse are known to have a great partnership in the comics. If/when they eventually bring Apocalypse back into the fold, I could see the show bringing that element in with Sinister potentially stealing Remy's corpse (Sinister and Gambit are also intertwined in the comics and if the showrunners want, they could adapt their connection here) and not wanting to let his Omega Level power go to waste.

But that's just me speculating, could be completely wrong on this and looking way into it. 🤷‍♂️

While none of it has been established in the animated series (yet), him and Apocalypse are known to have a great partnership in the comics. If/when they eventually bring Apocalypse back into the fold, I could see the show bringing that element in with Sinister potentially stealing Remy's corpse (Sinister and Gambit are also intertwined in the comics and if the showrunners want, they could adapt their connection here) and not wanting to let his Omega Level power go to waste.

But that's just me speculating, could be completely wrong on this and looking way into it. 🤷‍♂️
Sounds reasonable. :)

I re-watched the first trailer, amazingly we've seen every shot except for two:

Screen Shot 2024-04-18 at 9.00.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-04-18 at 9.00.35 PM.png

I'm assuming this is Remmy's funeral. The top shot with Xavier might be a bait-and-switch; it's actually a picture of Gambit.

I feel this is how the next episode will start and it will be no less painful to watch. :plead:

When you look at how Letitia Wright and Evangeline Lily were treated, to me at least, it's shamelessly clear how selective cancel culture is.

Based on what we know, both James Gunn and Beau DeMayo said despicable, terrible things. But at the end of the day, DeMayo is black and gay, so he most likely won't be graced with the gift of a second chance, the bless of educating himself, like beloved James Gunn. So people will sink their teeth into his throat while celebrating the highly antecipated Superman Legacy. And dear god, don't get me started on JK Rowling.

What I say, I say as a person who admittedly gave a second chance to Gunn, as many in this forum did, and I don't regret it. So if I did this, why on earth would I deny it to DeMayo, based on what we know?

What he said offended "my team", but he's also part of my team. And I connect to this weight minorities carry in having to be "flawless", because if we do **** up, forgiviness won't be an option.

I also say that the most challenging and difficult part for me in being progressive is believing in the transforming power of education. Believe it, I find it very challenging, but it's the option we have, otherwise how do we change people?

I honestly dislike cancel culture and I wish Zygmunt Bauman was alive to talk about it, because sometimes I feel it's just a way of avoiding difficult topics and selectively getting rid of who we don't want.

Admittedly I don't know everything DeMayo did, but for that I don't feel like grabing my fork right now. Meanwhile I'll be giving credit where credit is due.

This has been, so far, the best X-Men adaptation I've seen, which is subjective of course. And I'd give DeMayo a second chance in a heartbeat (if he'd willing to change). I'm just being consistent with my believes.
I’m not a fan of cancel culture either however, this is an employment issue. If DeMayo is a trainwreck to work with and if he made his coworkers’ lives miserable (as seems to be the claim), then firing him is reasonable. Just because someone is talented doesn’t mean they get to say and do what they want in a workplace. I worry that when people rail against “cancelling” somebody, it means they should be employed at all costs. DeMayo is surely going to find other work. But again, people lose their jobs all the time if they are difficult to work with. Where I live, harassment is considered an occupational hazard so if DeMayo’s behaviour was problematic enough, his coworkers shouldn’t have to deal with it because fans like his work.

I’m not a fan of cancel culture either however, this is an employment issue. If DeMayo is a trainwreck to work with and if he made his coworkers’ lives miserable (as seems to be the claim), then firing him is reasonable. Just because someone is talented doesn’t mean they get to say and do what they want in a workplace. I worry that when people rail against “cancelling” somebody, it means they should be employed at all costs. DeMayo is surely going to find other work. But again, people lose their jobs all the time if they are difficult to work with. Where I live, harassment is considered an occupational hazard so if DeMayo’s behaviour was problematic enough, his coworkers shouldn’t have to deal with it because fans like his work.
Work harassment can lead to serious mental issues, and it's a nightmare.

We don't fully know what happened, so I don't feel ok to quickly grab my forks to throw him into the fire. Besides, what I'm pointing out is that the gift of a second chance, and educating themselves are not graced to everybody. *shrugs*

That's the problem. We dont know what Beau did to get fired. We dont have those details. James was fired over 10-15year old stupid/perverted tweets so it isnt exactly the same.

Of course I dont know what he did either so right now Id love for him to return. I have heard about alleged things in other work places he's been in so who knows if that followed through to this job.

But I doubt he is "cancelled". No one stays cancelled in Hollywood and he'll likely get hired by another company.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    iamjonahlobe
    Back
    monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"