‘Enter the Dragon’ remake

James.B

In search of the absurd
Reaction score
BuaNIg0.jpg

Hot off Deadpool 2, David Leitch is in early talks to direct Enter the Dragon, the remake of the 1973 martial arts classic that cemented Bruce Lee’s iconic status. The original was a global hit out of Hong Kong, but its release was marked with tragedy as it came right after Lee’s death. The 45th anniversary of his death on July 20, 1973 was last Friday. They will now set a writer.

In Enter the Dragon, a Shaolin martial artist is pressed to enter a karate tournament on the island owned by the secretive Han, who is suspected of using the gathering as a way to smuggle drugs around the world. The protagonist has his own motivation: revenge. He learns that his sister fought for her life and ultimately killed herself on Han’s island, rather than succumb to rape by a group of Han’s thugs.
https://deadline.com/2018/07/enter-the-dragon-bruce-lee-remake-david-leitch-deadpool-2-john-wick-warner-bros-1202431792/amp/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Last edited:
Wow. I would be all over this, but casting will be crucial.

You can't make a Bruce Lee movie without Bruce Lee. Chuck Norris proved that.

Hmm...

The combo of wide spread mainstream appeal, charisma and real martial arts athletic skill to pull this off... Where do you find THAT guy? It would be another thing if there currently was a dude we all were seeing as the next Bruce or Jackie but... Yeah.

Which isn't to say gen bare bones isn't a good idea in terms of plot etc. Island of criminal mastermind gets infiltrated by vengeance seeking martial arts master recruited by law enforcement to take down the operation during an international invitation only under ground martial arts tournament? Yeah you could do something with that today.

Still... The shadow of Bruce is long.

Put this definitely in the "wait for the casting news AND THEN also wait for the first trailer" category for me.

It doesn't help that frankly I was very underwhelmed by DP2, and yes that includes most of the action set pieces in the movie.

Ryan Reynolds is in talks to play the lead. :o

Hmm...

The combo of wide spread mainstream appeal, charisma and real martial arts athletic skill to pull this off... Where do you find THAT guy? It would be another thing if there currently was a dude we all were seeing as the next Bruce or Jackie but... Yeah.

Which isn't to say gen bare bones isn't a good idea in terms of plot etc. Island of criminal mastermind gets infiltrated by vengeance seeking martial arts master recruited by law enforcement to take down the operation during an international invitation only under ground martial arts tournament? Yeah you could do something with that today.

Still... The shadow of Bruce is long.

Put this definitely in the "wait for the casting news AND THEN also wait for the first trailer" category for me.

It doesn't help that frankly I was very underwhelmed by DP2, and yes that includes most of the action set pieces in the movie.
I agree with most of what you wrote Krypton, but especially this.

As a film/story, Enter the Dragon is rather formulaic and simplistic. So on that basis, a remake would have plenty of “room for improvement.” On the other hand, any remake would also have - of course - a very conspicuous liability…

Enter the Dragon is not even Bruce Lee's best movie. The one where he dies is. No, not the one where he dies for real.

As a film/story, Enter the Dragon is rather formulaic and simplistic.

Exactly. No one cares about the story in Enter the Dragon. It's almost purely a vehicle for Bruce Lee's considerable presence and abilities.

I'm usually the eternal optimist when it comes to remakes, but even I have to admit that this feels like a cynical way to use a very famous title and a famous set-piece involving mirrors. I don't see the point.

Exactly. No one cares about the story in Enter the Dragon. It's almost purely a vehicle for Bruce Lee's considerable presence and abilities.

I'm usually the eternal optimist when it comes to remakes, but even I have to admit that this feels like a cynical way to use a very famous title and a famous set-piece involving mirrors. I don't see the point.

To hopefully build a better movie around that if folks say this is the easiest one to do-over. Personally, my only frame of reference is an episode from Jackie Chan Adventures.

Well they could just go full disrespect with a CG Bruce Lee.

If this was Gareth Evans, maybe. But I can't think of anyone else I'd trust to make it work even a little bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"