‘Gun enthusiasts’ threaten CEO after she develops weapon only owner can fire

Look at how quickly Boston resorted to martial law after the bombing.

As someone who was in Boston at the time, I completely approve of them keeping people indoors while they hunted for that homicidal animal. This was a guy who was shooting automatic weapons and lobbing pressure-cooker bombs down a suburban street packed full of families. I've yet to see one person make a convincing argument about why having to stay indoors while he was dealt with was such a terrible infringement on my rights. In fact, it probably saved lives. I'm getting so tired of people making a ridiculous 'slippery slope' argument, partly informed it seems by the 'Red Dawn' or 1984-inspired paranoid fantasies of rightwing talk-radio blowhards. Martial law is not going to be declared across America. Drones aren't going to hunt you down because of your politics. Feds aren't going to take your guns. Worry more about who Facebook is selling your private information to, than government troops marching down your sidewalk.

Not likely. I could see the local police force losing their **** in the event of a major event but the federal government is not going to enact martial law except maybe following a nuclear attack but I kind of even doubt that. It'd destroy the political careers of anyone enacting it.

And for the record, Boston was not under martial law. A manhunt for bombers known to be in the area isn't martial law. Martial law is when you break curfew and get a bullet in the back of the head.

Potato, po-tah-toe.

Residents of a Boston town were not allowed to leave their homes and had to allow police and SWAT teams to search their homes unconditionally.

Sound like Martial Law to me.

and why would you think a War on Terror couldn't be approved and enforced domestically? It already is to some extent. All it would take is another 9-11 perpetrated by Americans for everyone to get scared and hand over their rights wholesale. Congress would act quickly with full support of the terrified public.

American have already shown they will gladly sacrifice liberty for security if a the attack is big enough. Congressmen will just call their anti-terror measures "The Stand for Freedom Act" or some nonsense and no one will vote against it.

As smart as people think they are these things happen over and over again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reichstag_fire

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriot_Act

As someone who was in Boston at the time, I completely approve of them keeping people indoors while they hunted for that homicidal animal. This was a guy who was shooting automatic weapons and lobbing pressure-cooker bombs down a suburban street packed full of families. I've yet to see one person make a convincing argument about why having to stay indoors while he was dealt with was such a terrible infringement on my rights. In fact, it probably saved lives. I'm getting so tired of people making a ridiculous 'slippery slope' argument, partly informed it seems by the 'Red Dawn' or 1984-inspired paranoid fantasies of rightwing talk-radio blowhards. Martial law is not going to be declared across America. Drones aren't going to hunt you down because of your politics. Feds aren't going to take your guns. Worry more about who Facebook is selling your private information to, than government troops marching down your sidewalk.

Glad for a voice of reason. I've got friends in Boston and none of them have ever used the words martial law to describe that incident and how it was handled. Sometimes you have to stay inside for your safety and so that the cops don't have to worry about your dumb ass while they are trying to apprehend a criminal. It isn't martial law. It's common ****ing sense.

But omg the cops wanted to check your house and make sure you weren't hiding a person that just bombed a public event not a mile from your house. Oh god where is the sense in that!? It's lunacy I tells ya. Straight police state lunacy! Those fascist should have woken up a judge and got thousands of warrants to search all the surrounding houses and buildings and asked nicely. I'm sure the guy wouldn't have gotten away in the days it took them to do that.:o

Last edited:

Partly informed by Red Dawn? How about human history?

I don't see the problem with guarding our civil liberties fiercely.

Freedom of speech
Freedom of religion
Freedom of assembly
Freedom of religion
No Torture
Due process
Right to privacy

These are not conditional, they are essential for a free and advancing democracy. Don't hand them over so quickly for temporary safety.

Just because people aren't being black-bagged by secret police doesn't mean our rights aren't slowly being stripped away.

This was just a few days ago:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...me-court-allows-warrantless-vehicle-searches/

What's the population density of the states with high gun ownership? Even taking pure population into consideration... Well common sense tells me that Oklahoma and NYC are two different kinds of animals when it comes to these issues.

For myself, if I were in charge, I'd stake out this middle ground that most likely wouldn't make anyone happy, but here goes.

Open carry in public. Concealed being made illegal (After all, in a society where Open Carry was legal, those hiding guns on their person are probably up to no good, unless they are undercover cops or security or the like). Background checks and waiting periods mandatory. Gun safety coursed mandatory, and not BS ones, real courses on the safety of use of guns for self protection. Law enforcement should have access to a data base of firearms and their serial numbers. Sorry but the excuse that criminals will find ways around this is weak tea to me. Our jails are not filled with Lex Luthors. They are filled with men that are not too bright and have low impulse control. Period. Filing off serial numbers happens, but since most murders are crimes of passion or impulse occurrences, well, I would like to help law enforcement actually catch those guys. Just like with cars, guess what? You better have insurance, though this would be for accidental discharges or negligence in storage or the like obviously, not self defense. (This last one is dicey, I admit so I am not married to it.)

All that being said... My gut tells me that, what ever the number, whether 1 more or 1,000 more, gun fatalities would increase in a U.S.A. with Open carry as the law of the land. Call me callous if you must though, but that wouldn't be the end of the world. But at least I feel I am being honest about the human toll. I am admitting up front that as a policy this very well could lead to some more deaths. But as an issue, as the politics of it stands right now, it's not going away. It's not ideal, but the corrosive nature of this issue spills over too often into other areas of our politics. Take it off the table to a certain degree. If someone wants to walk around with a holster at their hip and a shot gun, more power to them. Just let ME know so that I can cross the street. I also don't think that Open Carry would quite be the Gun Rights paradise some think it would be. In public is one thing. What about private property? Well now that would be different. A little side story, but when I first got the job I have now (I am a concierge at a residential building) there was an issue of someone's assistant stealing from them. At first this person thought it was the staff here doing it. When the wife of the owner heard that I used the keys available to staff to deliver newspapers in the mornings she said "Why is that Spanish guy touching my keys!?" Now we, the staff, using our security cameras and noticing some other things were the ones to actually catch the thieving assistant in the act. Still, think about that. As the overnite guy there is a security component to my job, but this woman was perturbed that I had access to her keys. If she doesn't want me touching her keys while she is sound asleep, do you really think she'd let me come to work with a gun? (Mind you, I've gotten involved in quite a few physical altercations since I started this job. It's an overnite shift after all in NYC). If a privately owned establishment wants to keep armed people off it, well that should be their right. So bar owners, sporting arenas and other places of business ect., they'd be able to tell people that they can't come in armed, pure and simple. There would most likely also be carve outs for various govt. buildings and the like. Say, court houses, legislatures and schools.

Some Gun Rights/Second Amendment absolutist may scoff and say the usual: "We don't need more legislation/laws for guns. We just need to enforce the ones we do have." to them I say: "Please stop urinating in my ear and telling me it's precipitation." Because in my opinion ya'll don't want the ones that are on the books to be enforced either. So just be honest about it. What most of the country thinks are reasonable bits of legislation does not in any way equate with some fascist plot to leave you defenseless.

To those that dislike the idea of Open Carry and the fact that America has a gun culture at all I say: "Get over it and open your eyes!" This issue has allowed far too many demagogues too much influence in all areas of politics. Reasonable politicians with a reasonable outlook are to often brought down by broadsides from those on the other side of this issue, in both parties. As I stated, I feel that it is true that perhaps more people would die as a result of gun violence in an Open Carry society. But more does not equal the end of civil society as we know it. I don't believe this would be the start of mass violence in the streets or every city and town becoming the mythical Wild West of our collective American fantasy. What it would do would be to negate to a large degree the power of the gun lobby/industry and it's influence on our domestic policy. And the truth is that if you really want to change things, the Right Wing in this country are essentially correct in thinking that a change to the Constitution is in order. Do you really want to open that can of worms?

I know none of this is palatable to either side. But maybe that's what is needed. Correction. What's fist needed is for each side to be honest with themselves and then the rest of us so that a reasonable compromise, which is ideally what politics should be, can come closer to reality than it is right now.

If it all goes down and you need to defend yourself how can you if your friend or partner who is the owner of guns made to lock themselves are dead or detained for unlawful reasons? If it does come down to an extreme Police State. Or if you're being attacked at home, or a movie theater or who knows where else. Your out of a chance, cause you're controlled.

Thats why people see it being a curropt option. It leaves people completley defenseless.

Blurting out people as Psychopaths for defending there freedoms is an extreme answer used by the curropt or people who don't understand the reasoning behind it.

A lot is falling on deaf ears because people are wising up to all this BS and sticking to there Amendment rights.

People in the states are soo grossly misinformed by lies, BS and fear.

Exactly... and that's why the gun nuts are always going on about their rights taken away just because new gun control laws are proposed. You're constantly being told you are in danger and that owning a gun will protect you.

It's all about the $$$ not your safety.

Japan and Australia is far from what the US has become so how can you even compare?
Pointing it right back at you.

Japan and Australia and many other civilised countries don't allow people to own guns yet there murder rates are waaaay below the US, in terms of ratios.

Why is that? Obviously owning guns isn't keep you safe is it? It's making it more dangerous.

Like I posted earlier, since Australia revamped its gun control laws in the 90's it hasn't had a mass shooting since while the decade before they had 11 mass shootings alone. It has been shown to work and there's ample evidence showing this in other countries. Compare that to how many mass shootings last year alone in the US?

On an island full of terrible and poisonous monsters.

And platypus.

Who needs guns when you can throw your pet Taipan or Funnel Web Spider at someone!?

Who needs guns when they could just run into a field after robbing you and die a dozen times over before getting twenty feet in?

Well...

funny-gun-shoot-spider-be-sure-pics.jpg

it's true

You can run out of bullets but Australia has infinite ways to kill you.

Martial law is only acceptable when the gun nut's personal militias are in charge. Kind of like what they're doing near Cliven Bundy's ranch right now. Randomly stopping and harassing people and checking to see if they live in the area before letting them drive through certain areas. Basically playing police officer, you know, cuz freedom, 'Murica!

I am late to the party, but anyone who sends death threats to someone or publishes their private contact information on the internet is a piece of excrement.

You can run out of bullets but Australia has infinite ways to kill you.

Yeah.

I can't see problem of offering this type of gun as option, although I can see some are worried that this type of gun will be only available type gun in future if federal government passed some registration / manufacturing law. Still doesn't negate the existence of millions of guns already available. Not seeing the major fear here.

Anyone threatening the CEO of the company should be monitored and/or arrested in either case.

I can't see problem of offering this type of gun as option, although I can see some are worried that this type of gun will be only available type gun in future if federal government passed some registration / manufacturing law. Still doesn't negate the existence of millions of guns already available. Not seeing the major fear here.

Anyone threatening the CEO of the company should be monitored and/or arrested in either case.
The only time these kinds of guns, where others need to use YOUR gun, is a problem is during the zombie apocalypse.

And the gun nuts are the biggest advocates of this eventuality, so it makes sense.

The only time these kinds of guns, where others need to use YOUR gun, is a problem is during the zombie apocalypse.

And the gun nuts are the biggest advocates of this eventuality, so it makes sense.

It appears New Jersey passed a law in 2002 stating if this smart gun is sold anywhere in US, 3 years later, only smart guns can be sold in New Jersey. Which I think is silly. I can understand the fear now.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/5/5683504/gun-control-the-nra-wants-to-take-smart-guns-away

Smart guns are a good option...but they shouldn't be only option and I can see federal gun registration right around the corner. This isn't really a problem with the company, its a political problem created by New Jersey and other gun control states.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"